Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

78th Academy Awards - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 78th Academy Awards (1844 Views)

All Winners Of The 88th Academy Awards / Photos From The Africa Movie Academy Awards 2015 / Full List Of 2015 African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

78th Academy Awards by Farriel(m): 9:51am On Mar 06, 2006
The much hyped Oscar Awards have come and gone. Winners and Losers have emerged. There have been lots of good winners and no real losers. What are you views about the actual outcome of the Awards?

You think the winners deserved their wins, or that the losers didn't deserve to lose out?

By the way, here's a brief list of key winners

Best film
Crash

Best director
Ang Lee

Best actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman

Best actress
Reese Witherspoon

Best supporting actor
George Clooney

Best supporting actress
Rachel Weisz
Re: 78th Academy Awards by danyp(f): 8:02pm On Mar 06, 2006
Gosh i didnt sleep today cos of it.

well, i really didnt appreciate georges victory, i havent sin the movie but i just had de filin they jst thut it compulsory to giv him smthing.

phillip deserved it i think, but so did joaquin.
i was so happy for rachel, n reese, they were my favourites, tho i thut the transamerican lady deserved it too.

Jon stewart tried his best but nobody will eva b as good as billy crystal! n his magnificent debuts!

it went well, not the best ive seen either!!
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Farriel(m): 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2006
You don't believe George deserved an Oscar? In my own case, I didn't believe Phillip deserved an Oscar. But when you consider the nominees, you'd just might think he does. Really.

What I liked most about it was Tsotsi's award as Best Foreign Film. Africans are really emerging in the movie business.

And yeah, I like Weisz.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Eastcoast(f): 9:31pm On Mar 06, 2006
i couldn't even bare to watch the whole show. i watched it half way thru'. it was very boring. every thing about it. men. i went to sleep. as for the nominations and winners. in my opinion, it was totally wack. i don't even know why brokeback mountain was nominated. there was a gay thread in the whole show. lipsrsealed
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Vieira(m): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2006
Best actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman

Best actress
Reese Witherspoon

I think these two deserved thier awards, Philip has been giving great performances for many years and it's about time he got his just rewards.

Reese is my favourite actress and is very talented and should do more serious movies. Her perfomances in Election Day is just out of this world.

Best Director
Ang Lee

This is one i disagree with but I have to give him the benefit of doubt as I have refused to watch the gay sheep farmer movie but his Hulk was terrible even though I liked his Crouching Tiger. I just have this impression he got the award just because of the content of the movie (gay cowboys) rather than his direction.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by nightrider: 1:26pm On Mar 07, 2006
The problem with this years oscars is that there wasn't a single blockbuster film nominated for the major categories which made it abit boring for viewers.

I like the fact that memoirs of a geisha won for art direction, cinematography and costume design, it was a beautiful film. Maybe abit low on substance and performance,but beautiful nonetheless.

I think it just shows that to win an oscar for best director you can't favor style over substance, there must be fantastic performances from the actors you direct. If you have a solid ensemble and they giv a solid performance, you stand a better chance of winning the oscar than if yu have fantastic special effects.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Reba(f): 2:01pm On Mar 07, 2006
smiley smiley smiley smiley Well done Tsotsi for stealing the show.This movie is the movie u do'nt wanna miss congratulations once again u made africa proud cool cool cool cool
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Shadiat(f): 3:35pm On Mar 07, 2006
Mehn, tha ish was madd boring,
Re: 78th Academy Awards by gbadex1(m): 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2006
the Oscar awards sucks balls. this year`s own was so boring, i didn`t even bother reading or watching anything about it.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Outkast(f): 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2006
I think the biggest and most surprising win was for best song by three 6 mafia, I mean, I didn't even think they'd be recognized at all
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Eastcoast(f): 4:59pm On Mar 07, 2006
i was even surprised. the red carpet was xtremely boring. everyone just kinda wore normal clothes. nobody took risk in their dressing.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Hotstepper(f): 5:37pm On Mar 07, 2006
i didn't even bother maself watching dat cuz itz alwayz boring infact, awardz diz dayz 4 me is nuthing 2 write home about unlike b4,
Re: 78th Academy Awards by buckeye(m): 6:29pm On Mar 07, 2006
I watched it becuase i wanted to see three6mafia on stage, but then they won the oscar for best song.

Re: 78th Academy Awards by bluenubian(f): 8:20pm On Mar 07, 2006
i commend u BUCKEYE for mentioning 36mafia, thats what we need to be talking about they made history, oscar night, give it up baby.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by ocho(f): 9:26pm On Mar 07, 2006
oh yeah,36 mafia right? that's pretty impressive.
I didn't even have the time to watch the show,not that I had wanted to anyways.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Dauda(m): 3:22am On Mar 08, 2006
Congratulations to 36 Mafia for making history. However, that song ( Hot out here for a love-vendor) is lame. The movie ( Hustle & Flow) is disgusting.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Dauda(m): 4:21am On Mar 08, 2006
My bad. The song is titled, "It's hard out here for a love-vendor" Sorry.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by ababoy1(m): 6:25am On Mar 08, 2006
And Nollywood?

Has hype left town?
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Farriel(m): 9:20am On Mar 08, 2006
Didn't like the song. Not at all.

And yes, Ang Lee didn't deserve no Oscar for his gay cowboy movie, but the movie had been nominated damn too much in the Golden Globes, Bafta, etc that it was going to appear bizarre if it didn't end up winning no award in the Oscar.

And I still don't think Phillip gave an Oscar performance in that movie. Reese deserved hers no doubt, but not Phillip. The fact that there weren't strong contenders for the Best Actor award saw him edge his way into a winner.
Re: 78th Academy Awards by danyp(f): 10:09am On Mar 08, 2006
nopes georgie boy didnt deserve an oscar. i think my best moment tht nite was wen, brokeback mountain took best soundtrack or so, their song was superb, i loved it, i think it made me want to watch the movie.

strange y king kong kept winning, wat about the big monkey, wats der dat we havnt sin b4. angry

i really thut jake was more deserving dan georgie boy, i almost cried wen he diddnt win.
and i noticed he was alone, i thut he was dating dat spidermans girl, wats her name again?
have dey broke up,

and my guy keanu came with sandra bullock, r they together?

n i liked the part in the debut when they went to ask mell gibson if he cld present de oscars,

. wink
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Farriel(m): 11:47am On Mar 08, 2006
Strange why King Kong kept winning? It should even have won the Best Picture award. That's the finest film I've watched in years. It's true that they've seen giant-sized apes before but Kong had depth.

You think Jake deserved Best Supporting Actor? Aw, have you seen Syriana?

And hey, the chic you're talking about is Kirsten Durnst or so, the Spidie gurl. And yes, they're no longer together. There even was some story particularly funny about their seperation. They fought over who was going to take custody of their dog!
Re: 78th Academy Awards by Consultant(f): 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2006
I was really tripped that Crash won the top prize. If you haven't seen this movie, it's definitely one to see.

(1) (Reply)

Whats Your All-time Favorite Tv Series? / Greatest Tear Jerker Movies Ever! / 10 Celebrities Who Look Just Like Disney Characters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.