Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,305 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira (6403 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Dele Momodu Presents Write The Future Competition- N5million For Grabs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by arsenefc: 6:14am On Oct 27, 2011
Yoruba 'Akoraye'  Man, The Pride Of Oodua, Wins $100,000 John P. McNulty Prize
John P. McNulty Prize Announces 2011 Winner

Secretary Albright to Award $100,000 to Nigerian Journalist Revolutionizing Media Landscape

NEW YORK, Oct. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Aspen Institute and Anne Welsh McNulty, Institute trustee, today announced journalist Dele Olojede as the winner of the fourth annual John P. McNulty Prize. A committee of judges including Madeleine Albright, Olara Otunnu, Shashi Tharoor and Anne McNulty selected Olojede in recognition of his groundbreaking work to deliver unbiased information to the Nigerian public, demand government transparency and advance journalistic standards in the country.

"With NEXT, Dele is truly changing the expectations to which Nigerian leaders are held, equipping Nigerians to be active citizens," said Anne McNulty, founder of the McNulty Prize. "The jury was inspired by his courage and conviction in forging new ground, and leading his country toward a better future."
Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, judge for the 2011 McNulty Prize, said, "Dele Olojede is a remarkable leader operating in a very difficult environment. He is giving the people of Nigeria what they do not have, which is unbiased information. He is standing up for media and government transparency and is a formative figure in building a strong democratic base in his country."

Olojede is the CEO and Founder of NEXT, the leading source for independent Nigerian and African news. Prior to founding NEXT, Olojede attended Columbia University's School of Journalism and spent 16 years at Newsday, where he received the Pulitzer Prize for his "fresh, haunting look at Rwanda a decade after violation and genocidal slaughter had ravaged the Tutsi tribe." After becoming an Africa Leadership Initiative Fellow of the Aspen Global Leadership Network, Dele decided it was time to return to his native Nigeria in 2008 to elevate the public dialogue in a nation characterized by corruption, a wealth gap, and an acceptance of the status quo. The result was NEXT, a venture founded on journalistic integrity and credibility, which is now the most trafficked news site in the country at two million monthly views.

"Our aim is nothing less than to transform the way Nigerians think, to arm the citizen with factual information so that she will make better decisions," said Olojede. "The funding conferred by the McNulty Prize is invaluable in continuing and growing NEXT's operations, particularly as we expand our digital media presence. Ultimately, our real impact will be measured by the changing thinking of the Nigerian people, but to receive the international recognition of the McNulty Prize is immensely humbling."

Running a 24-hour newsroom on diesel generators, Dele and a team of young people work to bring unbiased investigative reporting to a country mired in corruption. To date, NEXT has exposed the role of Nigerian political elite in the Halliburton scandal, uncovered tax evasion by Nigeria's richest tycoon and publicized the pay of Nigerian legislators. After NEXT exposed the concealed truth that Nigeria's President, Umaru Yar'Adua, was seriously brain damaged, agents of the State Security Service attempted to burst into the newsroom and seize the paper. The story precipitated the appointment of a new leader in the country.

The McNulty Prize seeks to galvanize efforts to address the foremost social, economic and political challenges of our time by recognizing the very best in high-impact work by Fellows from the Aspen Global Leadership Network under taken as part of their Fellowship. Projects are assessed on their creativity, impact and sustainability. The 2011 finalists include:
Jay Coen Gilbert & Andrew Kassoy of B Lab (Philadelphia, Penn.), an organization dedicated to redefining business to make solving social and environmental problems as important as generating profits.

Timothy Marquez of Denver Scholarship Foundation (Denver, Colo.), an organization that combats the inequity of college success for Denver's youth by distributing scholarships and helping students navigate the college and financial aid processes.
Ann Lamont of Leadership & Innovation Network for Collaboration in the Children's Sector (South Africa), an organization that facilitates leadership and interaction between actors in the children's sector and innovates new approaches to overcome the systemic problems hindering the delivery of services to children.
Alejandra Poma of Libras de Amor (El Salvador), an organization that ensures thousands of infants a fair start in life by taking on malnutrition in El Salvador's poorest regions.

The winner and finalists will be recognized at a reception that will include a conversation between Dele Olojede and Walter Isaacson to be held on November 2 from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at the Metropolitan Club, President's Ballroom. On November 3, Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright will present the McNulty Prize to Olojede at the Aspen Institute Annual Awards Dinner.
About The John P. McNulty Prize

The John P. McNulty Prize celebrates the boldness and impact individuals around the globe are bringing to the toughest challenges in their communities and the world-at-large. Founded in 2008 by Anne McNulty in honor of her late husband John, the Prize aims to galvanize efforts to address the foremost social, economic and political challenges of our time by recognizing the very best in high-impact leadership. Each year, the winner is selected by an international jury that has included Mary Robinson, Bill Gates, Sr., and Sir Richard Branson and recognizes exceptional leadership projects undertaken by the Fellows of the Aspen Global Leadership Network. For more information, please visit http://www.mcnultyprize.org/ or http://www.facebook.com/TheMcNultyPrize.
About The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute mission is twofold: to foster values-based leadership, encouraging individuals to reflect on the ideals and ideas that define a good society, and to provide a neutral and balanced venue for discussing and acting on critical issues. The Aspen Institute does this primarily in four ways: seminars, young-leader fellowships around the globe, policy programs, and public conferences and events. The Institute is based in Washington, D.C.; Aspen, Colorado; and on the Wye River on Maryland's Eastern Shore and has an international network of partners.
About the Aspen Global Leadership Network

The Aspen Global Leadership Network is a growing, worldwide community of entrepreneurial leaders from business, government and the nonprofit sector -- currently, more than 1,300 "Fellows" from 43 countries -- who share a commitment to enlightened leadership and to using their extraordinary creativity, energy and resources to tackle the foremost societal challenges of our times. All share the common experience of participating in the Henry Crown Fellowship or one of the dozen Aspen Institute leadership initiatives it has inspired in the United States, Africa, Central America, India and the Middle East.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/john-p-mcnulty-prize-announces-2011-winner-132519138.html
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Relax101(m): 6:17am On Oct 27, 2011
So only am wan chop the money abi? That's why he close Next newspaper? lol, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Kai, see sense man o.
Congrats though.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 27, 2011
Yorubas are just wining honors and awards up and down the 7 abi 9 continents.

Yet Nigeria is a bleeped up country.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Rhino5dm: 6:28am On Oct 27, 2011
What do you expect?
When others dedicate their efforts to produce fake or substandard goods or jump on the "fast lane" of money rituals, child trafficking and robbery?

Ileke-IdI:

Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by ektbear: 9:50am On Oct 27, 2011
Congrats
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Kilode1: 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
. . . And he put a spin on it smiley

Proud of Olojede, we need more people like him.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Akanbiedu(m): 1:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
when its good, its a Yoruba or Ibo. When its bad, its a Nigerian.

Correction

[size=15pt]Re: Nigerian Man wins $100,000 John P. McNulty Prize.[/size]
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by OmoLisabi(m): 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

What do you expect?
When [b]others [/b]dedicate their efforts to produce fake or substandard goods or jump on the "fast lane" of money rituals, child trafficking and robbery?

You mean Ibos?
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by manny4life(m): 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2011
OmoLisabi:

You mean Ibos?

You just couldn't do without calling names right? I see how this tribalism is INBREED into most people. As for the topic, congratulations, and good luck.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
Thumbs up Dele Olojede.

Ileke-IdI:

Rhino.5dm:

What do you expect?
When others dedicate their efforts to produce fake or substandard goods or jump on the "fast lane"  of money rituals, child trafficking and robbery?

You see that's why it's good to be Yoruba. Pls if you guys get you share of the money for just being Yoruba, just halla me.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by DCAT: 5:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
some folks on NL should try and take off their ethnic google and extol what is great. irrespective of which ethnic group the winner belongs.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by arsenefc: 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
DCAT:

some folks on NL should try and take off their ethnic google and extol what is great. irrespective of which ethnic group the winner belongs.

When was the last time an Ibo man did something that impressive.

Only Yoruba people do stuff like that.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by wellmax(m): 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2011
Dear NLanders, can't we for once do without tribalism, i tire for una oooo sad embarassed
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Orikinla(m): 6:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
This is old news.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Redman44(m): 6:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
I hope Dele Olojede will pump this 16 Million Naira into his ailing Media Empire ( 234Next.com and The Next Newspapers ). Is the print copy of The Next Newspapers still circulating in Nigeria? I am not on Nigeria, so can someone do some confirmation for me? I will appreciate it. I am happy for Mr Olojede. He is a great Pressman.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by sheyguy: 6:20pm On Oct 27, 2011
Thumbs up "correct omo naija", more greese to yah elbow.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by vescucci(m): 6:25pm On Oct 27, 2011
My settings make me see latest posts on a thread first. I wondered what on earth coulda brought about all the tribalistic comments till I saw the first post. Shame on the poster. I'm Yoruba but that it borderline insulting and annoying. Shey na competition? Lemme just be queit cuz I'm really irritated by this
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by wendoworld(m): 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2011
AND I THINK SAY NA SENSIBLE PEOPLE DEY NAIRALAND SHA undecided WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TRIBE? **SMFH** AND ALL THIS POOOH ARE COMING FROM SOME OF THE PEOPLE I THOUGHT WERE VERY LITRATE  embarassed (human beings sha! trust them to always fall ur hand)
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by born2boink(m): 6:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
No Tribalism here, Don't give Biafra a room in nairaland, we no want ibo wahala
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by DCAT: 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
@Mr arsenfc, u seem to have short memory, don't tell me you have quickly forgotten how chinua achebe rejected the coveted $1 million from 50CENT, point out a yoruba man or woman in that capacity that can do the same, EWU BOTTLE BEER.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by manny4life(m): 6:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
arsenefc:

When was the last time and Ibo man did something that impressive.

Only Yoruba people do stuff like that.

I have always warned you about the thrash that comes out of your mouth; before you spew rubbish, think. How hard is it to think before talking? shocked shocked

born2fuck:

No Tribalism here, Don't give Biafra a room in nairaland, we no want ibo wahala

Another tribal warrior born and sworn to tribal bigotry, embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by marcus1234: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2011
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by DCAT: 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
@ born2fuck, u must be a bloody self-servicer,
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by DCAT: 7:02pm On Oct 27, 2011
@ born2fuck, u must be a bloody self-servicer.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by dayokanu(m): 7:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
arsenefc:

Yoruba '[size=28pt]Akoraye[/size]'  Man, The Pride Of Oodua, Wins $100,000 John P. McNulty Prize

John P. McNulty Prize Announces 2011 Winner

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/john-p-mcnulty-prize-announces-2011-winner-132519138.html

Akoraye a gbe wa oooooo
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Francis5: 8:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
Yoruba and inferiority complex sha
You can celebrate without comparing yourselves to Igbos, can't you?
Where were you when Chimamanda was winning all the laurels in literature?
First time and person no go hear word
E be like lizard we fall from tree they congratulate himself when nobody do am for am.
Pity.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by ronkebp(f): 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^^^See jealousy for yonder, chei!!! shocked shocked undecided undecided
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by ak47mann(m): 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
cheap award
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by sheyguy: 8:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
ak47mann:

cheap award
Have u won one yourself? if no, how did u arrive at 'cheap award' conclussion'.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by manny4life(m): 8:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
ronkebp:

^^^^^See jealousy for yonder, chei!!! shocked shocked undecided undecided

Jealous about what exactly?   The award or the Youruba's, which? embarassed embarassed

Me personally I'm happy for the man who won the prize but before you yell out jealousy, please look at the underlining comments.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
sheyguy:

Have u won one yourself? if no, how did u arrive at 'cheap award' conclussion'.

I think it's best to ignore those kind of people.

I can flood this thread with Yoruba winners within the past 3 months, but again, let's celebrate "Nigerian" honoraries grin. Jealousy will not let them hear word.
Re: Dele Olojede Wins McNulty Prize Worth 16 Million Naira by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2011
Each year, the winner is selected by an international jury that has included Mary Robinson, Bill Gates, Sr., and Sir Richard Branson and recognizes exceptional leadership projects undertaken by the Fellows of the Aspen Global Leadership Network.

I want to marry BG's son. Wonder how old he is tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

-shadow Of Love- / Pitakwa / The Raging Fire!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.