Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,175 members, 7,845,858 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? (11891 Views)

Realities Of Retirement. / Mass Retirement Of Senior NDDC Staff Looms / Retirement In Nigeria: How Much Does One Need To Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Beolly(m): 6:05pm On Nov 15, 2023
simplepee:
Are you white? Woke generation
I'm not acting woke, the truth is life is not mathematics anything can happen, you can train your kids with all you have and by the time they'll graduate they might not get any meaningful to assist themselves talk more of taking care of you.

This is one the reasons fueling japa to countries where the means of living is not harsh like what we have here, no one wants to be caught off guard so when you grow old in such countries and your kids are no where to be found you can still take care of yourself financially.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Beolly(m): 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2023
freedomchild:
That's the mistake my parents made which I'll never make. My parents couldn't wait for me to balance well after my graduation as a healthcare professional before they unleashed there retirement agenda on me. I'm the first child among 5 siblings.
He was never serious as a businessman during his active time in business.
Now that the economy is not good and everyone is trying to manage vis-a-vis the inflation, I do pity him because I know I'm not doing enough.

Nigerian parents especially the poor ones are fund of that nonsense. Especially now that Nigeria is not predictable.
Bro if you have the means leave the country to a more prosperous one for the sake of your future.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by onadana: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2023
Beolly:

It's the state of the economy here, it's relatively easy to navigate the economic weather their unlike what's obtainable here in Africa. This is the one the reasons fueling japa too, your children can even graduate here and still have no reasonable job not to talk of taking care of their parents.

Some westerners decided not to even have kids not to talk of using them as a retirement plan.

Absolutely,true talk
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Beolly(m): 6:24pm On Nov 15, 2023
SuccessfulRichi:
In America, they work so hard to retire early or late. Some of dem have individual retirement acct or govt retirement acct but in naija na children be their retirement acct numbers. Wtf
This is one of reasons fueling japa.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by samuelson06(m): 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2023
Sermwell:

You're obviously a kid!!

Who took care of you from infancy, feeding and clothing you to even age 10 deserves anything from you.
Do you know what it means to feed, cloth and house someone for 10 good years??

Even if that's the only thing your father did for you, he has tried!

That's my opinion. That's my life. You can stick to your opinion and your life.

I'll not sacrifice my life for someone that merely raised me. Look, it's not about raising someone but helping them to become successful in life. Sadly, in poor families, the parents don't care. You can also choose to sacrifice your own life for them.

You can choose to dance and enjoy the poverty they transferred to you. I'll never support anyone to focus on parents that transfered poverty to them instead of seeing how to fix their own life first.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Panda7(m): 8:17pm On Nov 15, 2023
with such statistics, i believe she was entitled to more financial freedom like pensions and savings, and the little money her children would send to her is enough to pay for home and elderly care service.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Sweetvie: 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2023
Persephone1:
Yes!

Hmm
Why?
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by omoharry(f): 10:12pm On Nov 15, 2023
gunners160:
The topic and the message are two different things. Mama this and mama that , please don't blame the children completely. We are in a busy world right now were verybody is struggling to survive.
You wi have 500k today and next week you are looking for a friend to borrow you 5k to buy food. We all pay bills everyday..The only fault the children had was not getting r a house help..
it's better to be childless than have such heartless children. As for you when you get old with such children then you can talk about everybody struggling to survive .
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Qatar2022: 10:49pm On Nov 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Such parents shouldn't even bother having children? I am certain the kids wouldn't complain if they weren't born. undecided
Oga this is give me I give you, go and give back your parents stop arguing foolishly
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2023
Qatar2022:
■ Oga this is give me I give you, go and give back your parents stop arguing foolishly
Did the kids force or beg you to have them or what? undecided
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2023
Qatar2022:
■ Oga this is give me I give you, go and give back your parents stop arguing foolishly
Did the kids force or beg you to have them or what that you would think it has to be this do-or-die affair for them? Imagine this one forcing kids into a contract they never asked or begged to be a part of? undecided

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Evolutionism: 10:51am On Nov 16, 2023
Only Foolish People will answer Yes to this Post.
Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Evolutionism: 10:58am On Nov 16, 2023
samuelson06:
I don't really have a problem with children being their parent's retirement plan. The design is that children should take care of their aged parents and I don't see anything wrong with that. Where I seriously have a problem is when parents don't invest in their children to become successful in life and simply focus on making more children and by God's grace one of the children escapes poverty with little or no contribution from the parents, then you see them coming to lay claims of the child and complaining to the world how the child has abandoned them.

For God's sake, this is a child that suffered so much and alone to become successful and instead of you allowing the child to begin investing in their future and family and stamp out poverty in their own lineage, you are coming to complain about negligence. Must everyone be poor in the family?

From my observation in Nigeria, poor parents don't care about their children. They don't even pray for them to succeed. All they are interested about is what they can get from the children because they feel it's the children's responsibility to take care of them. They don't care about lifting even one to escape poverty in the family so in future, that one can also save others. They care only about themselves. They don't care about the endemic poverty in the family.

Master Piece.

I have nothing to Add.

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Their Parents' Retirement Plan? by Obierika(m): 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
Just make sure you put aside a sizeable sum for your retirement so you won't have to depend on your kids

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Promotes 6,199 Soldiers / Salary Increase: Labor Praises Head Of Service's Support For Civil Servants / 5 Reasons Why Doctors Should Have A Side Hustle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.