Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Why Africans Can't Be Black: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Africans Can't Be Black: (1365 Views)

Why Africans Are Nice Toward Other People / Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ? / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africans Can't Be Black: by smuckers: 2:58am On Oct 28, 2011
What are your thoughts on this? As for me I don't refer to Africans as Black or African American. It doesn't mean that I don't consider them either or. I try to find out where they are from and I address them as such. If I don't know where they are from I would refer to them as being African. I mainly refer to those of us who were brought to America by way of the slave trade as Black,

http://thefreshxpress.com/2011/05/why-africans-cant-be-black/
Re: Why Africans Can't Be Black: by RickyRoss1(m): 8:11am On Oct 28, 2011
smuckers:

What are your thoughts on this? As for me I don't refer to Africans as Black or African American. It doesn't mean that I don't consider them either or. I try to find out where they are from and I address them as such. If I don't know where they are from I would refer to them as being African. I mainly refer to those of us who were brought to America by way of the slave trade as Black,

http://thefreshxpress.com/2011/05/why-africans-cant-be-black/

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN OR SHOULD I SAY WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO ACHIEVE FROM THIS POST?
Re: Why Africans Can't Be Black: by Amujale(m): 10:51pm On Oct 28, 2011
The point you emphasize in this thread is legitimate and one which many share a viewpoint however, i think we need to follow the "trail of evidence" an effective chronology in terms of our REAL history. For the time being, i would probably use terms like dark, light, tanned these are probably better

The first human/human communities were black(sic) African; all other ethnic groups is derived therefore . . .

The notion that 'white' represents "anything good" vs black represents "anything bad" is an allegory that is being played upon as we txt.

The notion that 'white' represents "anything good" vs black represents "anything bad" is an immure Western philosophy that can be traced to Eurocentric theosophy and mythology (presently also transmitted through multi-media outlets); outside of such context becomes inaccurate and hypocritical.

All the victims of Eurocentricsm that have absorbed or adobted the 'humanity according to westernized philosophy' notion, have certainly been exposed to a wide variety of psychological probes; this is due to the fact that the message that this particular philosophy transmits is meant  in principle for particular audience.

That is to say, if you are non-european and you adobts western philosophy, you cannot see yourself as the great person you really are,  because of the mindgames that leads you towards senseless assertions:

Assertion 1:  "anyone outside of the European community doesnt really amount to much"  . . .

This would be fine if it were really true, Barak Obama is the president of one of the worlds super power and he is from outside of the European community therefore, 'assertion 1' is inaccurate and misleading.

Assertion 2: "Black(sic) African descendants have never invented anything"

This would be fine if it were true, there were/are thousands of black(sic) scientist and professionals that are responsible for numerous inventions and ideologies. Lewis Howard Latimer was an African American inventor; an inductee of the National Inventors Hall of Fame for his work on electric filament manufacturing techniques therefore, 'assertion 2' is also inaccurate and misleading.

There are many assertions like that, remember, they are only assertions and many of them have NO bearing on the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Africans Can't Be Black: by EEngineer1(m): 2:10pm On Oct 29, 2011
i like this topic, one might not understand it if he/she doesnt understand eurocentrism

understand that no human being is black in color, the fact is that black isnt even a color but the absense of illumination and white is the presence of illumination, africans are dark brown to light brown in color, europeans are pale pink in color not white
Re: Why Africans Can't Be Black: by ADM1(m): 5:51pm On Oct 31, 2011
Who cares? I know people from African countries who use the term black. I see nothing wrong with that.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Nigeria So Tribal? / Which State In Nigeria Is More Open To Inter-state Marriages? / People Of Iwo Welcome Oluwo Of Iwo Back, As He returns From Canada (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.