Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa (872 Views)

Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa / UK: 10 Things You Will Miss About Nigeria When You JAPA / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by scally11: 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2023
So I decided to open this thread for japarian as they move for greener pastures on some cultural shock and other things they should prepare themselves for. This thread is not to discourage or encourage anyone but to inform people about what they are likely to encounter on this journey. I myself japa and I am happy I did because things turned out good but another person may be ruing their decision that they left so pick what you can pick from it and build on the positives or just calmly sit down and enjoy the renewed hope.
1. First no one send anyone as people are on the fast lane. U see people working to pay rent which takes a long chunk of ur wages. Meanwhile most jobs pay weekly on Friday morning. Before u wake up ur weekly pay is waiting for you. No employer will owe you. This is one positive but notes as you earn more your tax and insurance increases. You can't evade tax easily and you may go to prison for tax invasion.
2. Learn to avoid saying sorry if u are not the cause. I was a victim of this . Anytime someone falls or something bad happens, I will empathise by saying sorry but they always tell me " not your fault" . I think this is due to the fact that I lived among yoruba people who always empathise with event.
3. People are likely to go depressed in UK than Nigeria. No-one has much time to check on you because people work at strange hours for contract or full time jobs. Sometimes I won't see my wife for a week and we live in same building. When she's leaving for work I may be away or vice verbal but we sometimes manage to call ourselves. You may leave in a building without knowing your neighbours. Hence mental health is serious issue here so try enjoy yourself after work. Sometimes I will just enter one restaurant just to feel people around me.

4. No-one will give you free money except you work in hospitality. I mean as a waiter not in hospital. Before you earn 100 pounds you must work your ass. Some of my friends will ask me to send 50 to 100£ when I was working as a student. One even asked me if he could earn 1500£ per day because we always talk thousands and millions here in naija. Minimum pay is 10.40£ per hour so that 100£ is over 10hours serious work.
5. Learn to work smart not hard. Avoid warehouse jobs at all cost because it will wear you out easily. Care jobs is better because is less stressful. Learn how to drive before coming because it will give you edge's when you can drive than not and try to obey traffic light. This is the first thing that will mess you up because of opposite wheel drive. When I first came in newly, I used to believe cars can come out from anywhere so I usually follow traffic light.
6. Never force your spirituality on people. You will see gays and lesbianism easily around you. The government encourages everyone to be who they are. I have never seen anyone preaching on street or bus. Everyone respect everyone opinions. So keep your spirituality to yourself and do not get surprised as what u will see.
7. Everyone plays apart in financing. The fact that someone house you don't mean you won't contribute to rent or bills. If u see someone housing you freely don't say shebi I am visitor. My own sister told me if I failed to pay rent at the end of the month then she will push me into cold. UK is not for lazy people get something to do even if it's downgrading to contribute to bills or save to get your own space. No one will house u for long because people respect their space.
8. Sunday is noted for higher pay. I can hardly count days I went to church because of double pay. The last time I went I was just calculating how much I d earn when I was working. People hardly go to church except for Nigerians or old white people.
9.There are community stores where u can get food freely or cheap. We call them foodbanks. They are almost everywhere in the UK.
People always follow rules and always say thank you for little help even to drivers driving you or just delivering parcel to u. Learn habit of saying thank you.
10. Every country in UK speak different English. First you will have a hardwire understanding them. Glasgow English is terrible that you won't understand anything at first because they are fast. Ireland speak quiet differently. Don't worry with time you will understand them but listen carefully and tell them in polite way to speak slowly.
11. There are different currency in pounds used in the UK. We have the English pound, Scottish, Irish and Welsh pounds. All these have same value and are readily acceptable in any country in the UK. Scotland alone have like three different pounds printed by different banks which are acceptable as well. There is currency printed by bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clyde bank. Each is different and have their own design. You can hardly recognise the notes but the coins are the same. Only Bank of England pounds can be easily exchanged in black market in Nigeria. If u are buying pounds in Nigeria they will likely give u.

Lastly, learn how to use Google map. No one knows anywhere. Google map is your best bet. I remembered when I first came in and was three busstop from my school. I dropped from bus and was asking people for directions to my university. I was surprised that no one knows the direction to a whole university which is just 15minutes away by foot but that is it. Postcodes rules here.

12 Likes

Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Snitch24(m): 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2023
Are you living in Nigeria at all?
All these things no fit bother me
We're all insatiable
Even if some people ho to heaven they will still complain
Nigerians are particularly living in hell fire
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Smitaro100(m): 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2023
At least you work and get paid, some company workers over here in naija dey struggle to collect July salary while we dey round up November, you better knee down and thank Jah for a safe japalization.🙄

1 Like

Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by scally11: 11:46pm On Nov 21, 2023
Snitch24:
Are you living in Nigeria at all?
All these things no fit bother me
We're all insatiable
Even if some people ho to heaven they will still complain
Nigerians are particularly living in hell fire
Like I said this thread is not to discourage anyone but to inform people and get them aware incase they move out to the UK. I am not living in naija. Atleast its been a long time I left Nigeria and the report I got has been heart renting. The best part of my years has been in another man's land. I wish I left earlier than I did

1 Like

Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by jamesversion: 7:14am On Nov 22, 2023
Nice one.
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by NezzyMike: 8:00am On Nov 22, 2023
If you no get UK accent, nobody fit show you road ..post code n google map na lifesavers.
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Itzteewhy(m): 1:00pm On Nov 22, 2023
Honestly I feel like I'm the only one that is indifferent to all these things you guys always posted...

Do you even know the desperation for someone of us to japa(legally oo b4 person go misunderstood me)? Japaing would be a dream come true for some of us considering the state at which Nigeria is in rn.

I may be wrong oo but me I sha know that I'm not worried about any of those you things you listed... At least let me get that opportunity to japa first
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by StemCellTherapi(m): 1:16pm On Nov 22, 2023
In your No 5, you said learn how to drive and then mentioned "opposite wheel drive"

What is the point of learning how to drive in Nigeria then getting there and discovering theirs is "opposite wheel drive".

You will still have to go and relearn from scratch.
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by scally11: 1:56pm On Nov 22, 2023
StemCellTherapi:
In your No 5, you said learn how to drive and then mentioned "opposite wheel drive"

What is the point of learning how to drive in Nigeria then getting there and discovering theirs is "opposite wheel drive".

You will still have to go and relearn from scratch.
It is much easier to adapt because the opposite wheel drive also correlate with the way the road direction for car is. To learn driving in UK is not easy. You pay 45£ for 1hour of practical. Now how many hours will you pay before your hand becomes straight.
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Obagreatdatoye(m): 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2023
I love this thread
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Minsk24: 9:02pm On Nov 22, 2023
Good thread Op
Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by Welcomme: 10:34pm On Nov 22, 2023
Your number 6 is false. It seems you are not living inside London for you to say you have never seen anyone preaching openly. In Fact right in the heart of London, Westminster, you will see people with public address system preaching. I work around this area so I know what I am saying. Got to Oxford Circus, you will find people preaching there. Same with Lewisham. These routes are my routes so I know what I am saying
I don't want to include Peckham and Camberwell but for these two areas, every blessed day, you will find like 2 to 3 people on the same spot with different public address system kabashing and preaching...(The thing dey funny me sef) Specifically, around Hannover park or Peckham Library...

I know there are gays and Lesbian, but since I came here, I am yet to see a public display of affection between gáys and Lésbian. I know there are but I am yet to see one. Out of curiosity, I asked a friend that has stayed here for 2 years, he said he is also yet to see one. Nevertheless, they subtly teach children in school about this 3rd gender shít..

The remaining points are spot on.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Some Strange Things You Will Find Out When You Japa by scally11: 11:18am On Nov 23, 2023
Welcomme:
Your number 6 is false. It seems you are not living inside London for you to say you have never seen anyone preaching openly. In Fact right in the heart of London, Westminster, you will see people with public address system preaching. I work around this area so I know what I am saying. Got to Oxford Circus, you will find people preaching there. Same with Lewisham. These routes are my routes so I know what I am saying
I don't want to include Peckham and Camberwell but for these two areas, every blessed day, you will find like 2 to 3 people on the same spot with different public address system kabashing and preaching...(The thing dey funny me sef) Specifically, around Hannover park or Peckham Library...

I know there are gays and Lesbian, but since I came here, I am yet to see a public display of affection between gáys and Lésbian. I know there are but I am yet to see one. Out of curiosity, I asked a friend that has stayed here for 2 years, he said he is also yet to see one. Nevertheless, they subtly teach children in school about this 3rd gender shít..

The remaining points are spot on.
If you agree with me London is just one city which is abnormal. Just like second Nigeria. I once heard a loud speaker from a church in London area singing popular yoruba praise and worship but this is really not so in other cities in the UK.
On public display of affection this is much displayed everywhere. Go to bars, events in school campuses you can't pass a day without seeing it. Go to where people are gathered then you will see it. June or July is rainbow month 🌈. That sign is from LGBQT.

(1) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Country / Invalid Height Specification / Business Travel Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.