Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine (17476 Views)

Prosecutors Want Binance’s CZ Kept On Tighter Leash Ahead Of Sentencing / Bitfinex Crypto Hack: US Arrests Couple For Allegedly Laundering $4.5 Billion / America’s $1.3b Investment Threatened In Nigeria, Says Consul-general (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by nlfpmod: 8:54am On Nov 22, 2023
It’s been an eventful week for crypto exchanges and the U.S. government.

Changpeng Zhao, also known as “CZ,” the founder and CEO of Binance, is stepping down and has pleaded guilty to a number of violations brought on through the Department of Justice and other U.S. agencies. He appeared in a Seattle federal court on Tuesday to enter his plea.

Richard Teng, Binance’s former global head of regional markets, will be the exchange’s new CEO, Zhao shared in a post on X Tuesday afternoon. Teng previously was the CEO of the Financial Services Regulatory Authority at Abu Dhabi Global Market, among other executive roles. In response to stepping down, Zhao said, “it is the right thing to do” adding, “I made mistakes, and I must take responsibility.” Zhao will remain a shareholder and said he will be “available to the team to consult as needed.”

Binance, the world’s largest crypto exchange, has also agreed to pay about $4.3 billion to resolve the DOJ’s investigations, the agency said in a press release on Tuesday.

As a part of Binance’s guilty plea, it has also reached agreements with the Department of Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and will credit about $1.8 billion toward those resolutions.

The crypto exchange “admits it engaged in anti-money laundering, unlicensed money transmitting and sanctions violations,” the DOJ release stated, calling it the “largest corporate resolution” that included criminal charges for an executive. Zhao pleaded guilty to failing to maintain an anti-money laundering program.

“The message here should be clear: using new technology to break the law does not make you a disruptor, it makes you a criminal,” U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement.

Binance, Zhao and other related parties “knowingly failed to register as a money services business” and violated the Bank Secrecy Act by failing to implement an anti-money laundering program, a filing on the charges stated. It added that the respective parties allegedly violated U.S. economic sanctions “in a deliberate and calculated effort to profit from the U.S. market,” without following U.S. laws.

The crypto exchange collected about $1.35 billion in trading fees from U.S. customers, according to Chairman Rostin Behnam of the CFTC. According to court documents, Zhao told Binance employees it was “better to ask for forgiveness than permission” and prioritized the exchange’s growth there over complying with U.S. law.

“Any institution, wherever located, that wants to reap the benefits of the U.S. financial system must also play by the rules that keep us all safe from terrorists, foreign adversaries, and crime or face the consequences,” Secretary of Treasury Janet Yellen said in the release.

Under Zhao’s plea agreement, he will agree to the recommendation that the court impose a $50 million fine to the CFTC and won’t make any statements “contradicting his acceptance of responsibility,” according to a separate filing from Monday.

As for Binance’s plea agreement, the company will accept the resignation of Zhao and prohibit him “from any present or future involvement in operating” the business from the beginning of the plea acceptance and “ends three years from the date a monitor is appointed,” the Monday filing stated. The company will also “maintain and enhance” its compliance program and appoint an independent compliance monitor during that three year period.

The crypto exchange did not respond to multiple requests for comment from TechCrunch on the charges.

Binance launched in June 2017 and within 180 days became the largest crypto exchange in the world. It had over $12.65 billion in trading volume during the past 24-hours, 532% higher than $2 billion in trading volume from the second largest crypto exchange, Coinbase, according to CoinMarketCap data.

This comes less than a day after the SEC charged Kraken, the third largest crypto exchange by trading volume, with allegedly operating as an “unregistered securities exchange, broker, dealer and clearing agency.”

Separately, in February, Kraken agreed to end crypto staking services for U.S. clients and settled a past suit with the SEC after agreeing to pay $30 million in charges for “disgorgement, prejudgment interest and civil penalties.”

The DOJ charges against Binance come over five months after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission accused the exchange and Zhao of lying to regulators about its operations, filing 13 charges against the defendants in the federal case. Zhao and Binance were allegedly “intimately involved” in directing the trading entity’s business operations and providing crypto-related services to the Binance.US platform, which claims it’s an independent exchange in the SEC filing.

In late March the U.S. CFTC also filed a suit against Binance, Zhao and its Chief Compliance Officer Samuel Lim for allegedly breaking trading and derivatives rules.

Binance has made headlines this past year for a range of reasons, including Zhao’s comments contributing to the collapse of FTX, which was once one of its top competitors. In April, Binance.US, its American sister company, broke off its $1.3 billion deal to buy crypto broker Voyager Digital’s assets due to a “hostile and uncertain regulatory climate.”

In August, Checkout.com cut ties with Binance over concerns about the crypto firm’s alleged issues with anti-money laundering, sanctions and compliance controls. At the time, Binance’s spokesperson said it does not agree with “Checkout’s purported basis for termination and are considering our options for legal action.”

https://techcrunch.com/2023/11/21/binance-to-pay-4-3b-in-fines-and-ceo-cz-to-step-down-plead-guilty-to-anti-money-laundering-charges/?tpcc=tcplustwitter&s=08

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Jcomtrader: 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
America and witch hunting exchanges anyway binance is bigger than their intimidation.
CZ just stood down to preserve his followers

God bless him he changed millions of lives of traders like us. Bull run 2024 still on course

Fellow traders. See you at the top
Cheers

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by verybadmouth(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
What kind of fine is this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by slaawomirr: 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by ZaddyJ: 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
grin
Damm nigga issorite

6 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Badassniggga(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
Omo.. this money 💰 plenty o

5 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by BigBlackPreek(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2023
I hope this Binance doesn't crash o, coz of my fellow Nigerians wey get money there, ebelebe ooo 🤣

11 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by ATEAMS: 9:00am On Nov 22, 2023
It is better to be yourself and have no friends than to be like your friends and have no self.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Sunnybabe(m): 9:00am On Nov 22, 2023
Okay
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by MrHighSea: 9:00am On Nov 22, 2023
na billion dollars bill person dey pay as charges.

how much is Nigeria?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by RedNeck1(m): 9:00am On Nov 22, 2023
CZ stepping down as Binance CEO is a good move for the industry.

8 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by CallmeYUJIN: 9:00am On Nov 22, 2023
Omo!!
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Kingozymandias(m): 9:01am On Nov 22, 2023
wow

Binance is finished
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by godwinstringed1(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2023
ATEAMS:
I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.

Hmm. Why
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by WereyBoi: 9:02am On Nov 22, 2023
Wahala
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Judolisco(m): 9:03am On Nov 22, 2023
Crypto na jst modern ponzi scheme

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by usecondom(m): 9:03am On Nov 22, 2023
Billi dolls as fine shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by darexolu16(m): 9:03am On Nov 22, 2023
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Obviouslyblunt: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2023
Binance will act more strictly now with people trading crypto, which isn’t something crypto should be all about. This isn’t good news.

Use a DEFI wallet.

15 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by dadavivo: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2023
At least Binance is still working fine,

America is a greedy, selfish country.

They hate anything that will challenge their currency dollars.

Binance should have just focus on Europe, Africa and Asia.

The only crime China committed against the USA is trying to surpass the USA as the world biggest economy. this thing scares America to the bone.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by CHIOMAEZEH: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2023
It's a Dog eat dog world

2 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Mindlog: 9:05am On Nov 22, 2023
Zhao told Binance employees it was “better to ask for forgiveness than permission”... cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by taiwotimitt: 9:06am On Nov 22, 2023
I need summary

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by sofeo(m): 9:07am On Nov 22, 2023
It's getting stronger

2 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Mindlog: 9:07am On Nov 22, 2023
Obviouslyblunt:
Binance will act more strictly now with people trading crypto, which isn’t something crypto should be all about. Use a DEFI wallet.

Those in the UK trading on Binance have been restricted to only GBP transactions.

E pain me wella, me that used to trade across GBP-NGN-KSH-UGX. That is now history! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Ancecoker(m): 9:08am On Nov 22, 2023
grin
Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by UnnervingNaija: 9:08am On Nov 22, 2023
The kain money una dey call for this crypto thing, the thing dey fear me

5 Likes

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Obakoolex(m): 9:09am On Nov 22, 2023
undecided I wish I can say something about this but am crypto illitrate

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by Ewedegubbler: 9:09am On Nov 22, 2023
Nothing is Gona stop the 2024 bull run.

$5m is a sure banker for me

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Binance And CEO ‘CZ’ Plead Guilty To Federal Charges, Agree To Pay $4.3B Fine by dadavivo: 9:09am On Nov 22, 2023
Judolisco:
Crypto na jst modern ponzi scheme

Na wetin I dey tell myself since 2016 until this year I started making ₦300-₦400k per week on crypto currency .

for those asking, i will only give you clue, i dont like explaining things in full details. don't disturb me with mention about how to do this or dat. i wont reply, if you cant figure out shiit by yourself then remain sleeping.

Binance + my 1000 USDT on stake.com = 1.30 or 1.40 odd gives you N300k - N400k weekly.

or if 1000USDT is too much for you. Do 100 USDT with 1.50 odd to give you N50,000 weekly.

if you cant get yourself ordinary 1.30 or 1.40 odd then you have no business staking. period.

millions of Nigerians are making money like this without noise.

27 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg / Banks With Best Fixed Deposit Rates? 2017 / Meet The Young Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.