Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks (13881 Views)

N500b Capital Base: Capital Needed By Commercial Banks With International Spread / CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion / CBN Increases The Capital Base Of Microfinance Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Islie: 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2023
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said that it will soon be announcing a new capital base for banks in the country as it said Nigerian banks were not well capitalised to meet the needs of the economy.

The CBN governor, Dr Olayemi Cardoso, in his first public speech at the 2023 Bankers Dinner on Friday night, said while there has been stability in the banking sector, banks in the country were not adequately capitalised to meet the need of a $1 trillion economy which the present government was aiming to achieve.

https://leadership.ng/breaking-cbn-to-increase-capital-base-of-banks/

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Babzrockman: 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2023
Let's go

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by thesicilian: 10:15pm On Nov 24, 2023
I remember when Soludo increased it back then from just 2bn to 25bn, really solidified the banking sector. We're still enjoying the dividends till date

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Lovemeharder(f): 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2023
But that's not our problem for now.

6 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Obagreatdatoye(m): 10:25pm On Nov 24, 2023
I think banks should give a benchmark of 500b capital each....the least should be 300billion

17 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Natbrowny: 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2023
We need just 5 banks in this country with branches yanfun yanfun like Airtel Call Bonus..

31 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by sulakishop(m): 1:46am On Nov 25, 2023
As long as UBA return my 812k, nothing concern me

17 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by FreeStuffsNG: 1:56am On Nov 25, 2023
Natbrowny:
We need just 5 banks in this country with branches yanfun yanfun like Airtel Call Bonus..
Our number of banks has gone down significantly over the years and at some point in time so low that it almost became a cartel perhaps until now that competition has increased. The bank recapitalization is completely unavoidable and in the banks interest after the naira devaluation.

Many of our banks knew and had started shoring up their capital base before now. This is just giving an official seal to the exercise. The next important thing is the deadline they're given. From the deadline we can guess when the current turbulence in the forex market would have calmed down. Check my signature for free stuffs!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by kettykin: 2:07am On Nov 25, 2023
The last 3 capitalised banks will not fly through this hurdles .

This is gòod but will not be successful. Bookmark this comment.

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by PedoBear: 3:17am On Nov 25, 2023
Time to remove my money from fraudulent banking instructions and keep it in cash at my house

4 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by scholes23(m): 4:33am On Nov 25, 2023
Ghen Ghen!!!
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by onez: 4:39am On Nov 25, 2023
Pure nonsense. Criminals want to buy over the banks through illicit fund. Is this a priority?.

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by kingsways: 4:47am On Nov 25, 2023
Ok, whatever you want to do, do it quickly

I don’t like ‘I will’

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by omoadeleye(m): 5:03am On Nov 25, 2023
onez:
Pure nonsense. Criminals want to buy over the banks through illicit fund. Is this a priority?.

Illiterate

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by money121(m): 5:04am On Nov 25, 2023
Ok
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Khyrvxjzy: 5:05am On Nov 25, 2023
j
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by orisa37: 5:06am On Nov 25, 2023
VERY NECESSARY TO KEEP PACE WITH THE INFLATION CREATED BY THE BANKS.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by kingjoe(m): 5:23am On Nov 25, 2023
I just saw a new bank named signature bank or so .they covered it's name.but I peeped. I also saw globus bank last year.
So you approve new banks then after one year starts talk about recapitalization.
Same thing happened to microfinance banks .
Also fintechs
Why can't we be consistent.these are what scares investors.
Are we always in trial -and- error in everything..

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by mrintelligent(m): 5:26am On Nov 25, 2023
That is a welcome development.
Such should be done in the Insurance industry too.

5 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by elmogaji(m): 5:28am On Nov 25, 2023
Lovemeharder:

So what do you know about the economy, for you to say this ?

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Nahunger(m): 5:29am On Nov 25, 2023
grin
Mad oo

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by engrsyer(m): 5:34am On Nov 25, 2023
This was long time expected right second half of this year that Mr. President removed oil subsidy and official dollar exchange rate.

It is well with Nigeria and the leaders

3 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by ssogundele(m): 5:34am On Nov 25, 2023
Lovemeharder:

Hanty, please tell us? You don't know that some of these banks are distressed? All you see are just packaging

8 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Godfullsam(m): 5:38am On Nov 25, 2023
A lot of banks will merge again as some banks may not have enough funds.

This may throw banks and staff and depositors into panic.

It is a good development though. I guess the CBN wants to mop up some money from the economy.

16 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Abufo: 5:43am On Nov 25, 2023
onez:
y

yorubas on the move.........their wickedness and greed is gradually being unfolded! This is an opportune time to buy up all the banks and get unassailable control of the financial sector,which they have lost over the years! I actually thought the fulanis were parochial.........what I am already seeing is beyond belief..................this is gonna be one helluva ride!

5 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Omoawoke2(m): 5:44am On Nov 25, 2023
Yoruba people and intellectuals

Maybe that’s why some people whose heads are as flat as the plateau envy them

Those from the small dot that’s known to be the dirtiest place in africa and most backward and poverty stricken region in southern Nigeria.
They know themselves

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by popp(m): 6:16am On Nov 25, 2023
kingjoe:
I just saw a new bank named signature bank or so .they covered it's name.but I peeped. I also saw globus bank last year.
So you approve new banks then after one year starts talk about recapitalization.
Also fintechs

Don't be in a hurry to type when you have a shallow knowledge of what's on.

Is it better to have mushroom Banks all over the place which will endanger the safety and stability of the sector of banking?

It was only after the recapitalisation by Proff Soludo Chukwuma then that the masses would save their money in the Bank and go home and sleep with two eyes closed.

Proff then borrowed the leave from South African Banks, before then, just one Bank in South Africa could buy off all the Banks in Nigeria.

But today, few of Nigeria Banks are waxing so strong that they are now competing in the continental markets.

Should the recapitalisation takes effect, you will see another merge of Banks going on here and there. And as a result, it will even do more on attraction of investors as you have feared.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OlujobaSamuel: 6:20am On Nov 25, 2023
kingjoe:
Also fintechs
Hmmmmmm, globus isn't new, it's about 8/10yrs.
The recapitalization can categorized them into Regional, National and International banks.
Any serious investor investing in the last 5/10yrs and isn't aware that our banks are undercapitalized isn't fit to operate a bank in the first place.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by orohbirodeysmel: 6:24am On Nov 25, 2023
Natbrowny:
Yes...like these 5 banks will have ₦300 billion each...

Many many yeye banks run buy yahoo boys turned Bank managers will be forced to merge or close down

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Sirtee19: 6:35am On Nov 25, 2023
It is long overdue. No Nigerian banks is among the 10 richest bank in Africa according to Bloomberg 2023 survey. The leading banks are from SA. The banks with the least capital base has $28b and the largest has $128b. Out of the 10, SA has 5,Morocco and Egypt has 2 each while Algeria has one. Nigeria banks are "big for nothing" in Africa.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Schoboscu: 6:38am On Nov 25, 2023
iu*CERTIFICATE OF CAPITAL IMPORTATION (CCI) *

CCI $500M
USAGE: GRANT
RECEIVE
CAPACITY:
$500M USD
*PRICE :#23B*..
Procedure
The buyer is paying 5% while the seller pays 5%
Send your LOI and get your offer letter immediately after ur receiving ur acceptance letter the,mou/indemnity, DOA and invitation letter will be forwarded

NB: ABOVE IS 100% CLOSABLE.
Whatsapp 08032659195

(1) (2) (Reply)

Banks, 18 Others, Fined N125m For Late Filings / YOUWIN 2013: Experiences & Tips! / Dangote Raid: Is This An End To "Sacred Cows" In The Business Community?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.