Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,062 members, 7,810,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks (13863 Views)

N500b Capital Base: Capital Needed By Commercial Banks With International Spread / CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion / CBN Increases The Capital Base Of Microfinance Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Badonasty(m): 6:41am On Nov 25, 2023
Lol…expecting a lot of mergers and takeovers

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Blaze14k: 6:48am On Nov 25, 2023
thesicilian:
I remember when Soludo increased it back then from just 2bn to 25bn, really solidified the banking sector. We're still enjoying the dividends till date

Back then Nigeria made so much gain buh government refused to reflect it on our exchange rate. It could have been alot more better. I think Obasanjo has the best administration so far

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by seunlayi(m): 6:49am On Nov 25, 2023
As long as opay will make it. Nothing to fear
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Otolomo1(m): 6:50am On Nov 25, 2023
Then what is our problem now
Lovemeharder:
But that's not our problem for now.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by happney65: 6:56am On Nov 25, 2023
Blaze14k:

Back then Nigeria made so much gain buh government refused to reflect it on our exchange rate. It could have been alot more better. I think Obasanjo has the best administration so far

Thank you someone is saying what I have been looking for. Obasanjo had the best administration so far. The effects of his banking recapatisation is still reverberating throughout the length and breath of Nigeria.

Took power at a time Nigeria was at its lowest of the lowest. I wonder what these wereys would have said if they were the ones that took power in 1999.

The only disadvantage is that some bankers might lose their jobs due to merging of banks. The same as it happened when Obasanjo/Solido started it

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by PHAYOL81: 7:05am On Nov 25, 2023
Standard must be reviewed and upgraded all round too. GOD BLESS NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by spacechuks(m): 7:17am On Nov 25, 2023
Oga deal with exchange 💱 rate, because this is the real reason apart from subsidy removal why Nigerians are suffering now,

Increase capital base my foot, is any Bank suffering from liquidity risk.

Just chasing shadows and leaving substances

APC has nothing to offer, in the coming years, the country will be worse than this,

Anyway, I for see another Niger Delta agitation, because we can't be buying hydrocarbon products through our nose when we have abundant in our communities and villages, who does that?

Useless country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by ariesbull: 7:23am On Nov 25, 2023
Is he not an engineer?
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by richeeyo(m): 7:28am On Nov 25, 2023
thesicilian:
I remember when Soludo increased it back then from just 2bn to 25bn, really solidified the banking sector. We're still enjoying the dividends till date
He did a very good job on that

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:34am On Nov 25, 2023
Sirtee19:
It is long overdue. No Nigerian banks is among the 10 richest bank in Africa according to Bloomberg 2023 survey. The leading banks are from SA. The banks with the least capital base has $28b and the largest has $128b. Out of the 10, SA has 5,Morocco and Egypt has 2 each while Algeria has one. Nigeria banks are "big for nothing" in Africa.

Due excess funds from corruption, corrupted funds. No real activity in the real sector.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OctavianAC(m): 7:57am On Nov 25, 2023
PedoBear:
Time to remove my money from fraudulent banking instructions and keep it in cash at my house
You sure say you go last so?
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by freemi(m): 7:58am On Nov 25, 2023
thesicilian:
I wish I can understand how it benefited me
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by dabonny(m): 8:32am On Nov 25, 2023
....more merger and acquisition will emerge in the process

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Blaze14k: 8:34am On Nov 25, 2023
happney65:

Thank you someone is saying what I have been looking for. Obasanjo had the best administration so far. The effects of his banking recapatisation is still reverberating throughout the length and breath of Nigeria.

Took power at a time Nigeria was at its lowest of the lowest. I wonder what these wereys would have said if they were the ones that took power in 1999.

The only disadvantage is that some bankers might lose their jobs due to merging of banks. The same as it happened when Obasanjo/Solido started it

Who are you referring to as werey
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Smartguyboy(m): 9:05am On Nov 25, 2023
freemi:
I wish I can understand how it benefited me

Banks can’t close and run with your money like before 1999

4 Likes

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Smartguyboy(m): 9:06am On Nov 25, 2023
Blaze14k:

APC them
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by happney65: 9:22am On Nov 25, 2023
Blaze14k:

The ones currently in government.. grin
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by bitbillionaire: 9:44am On Nov 25, 2023
Any Nigerian bank that doesn't have a capital base of at least 1 trillion Naira does not deserve to exist

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by kaybams1(m): 10:31am On Nov 25, 2023
omoadeleye:

Illiterate

You may be the illiterate here. It’s not a priority. Besides, the Banking sector haven’t shown any sign of vulnerabilities in recent times to warrant such plan. Mopping liquidity should be backed by a certain reason - inflation will be the closest guess. However, it’s common knowledge that our inflation is an imported one. Basically tied to exchange rate fluctuations as a result of the inefficient market. So what’s the whole point of increasing capital base? How does that directly affect monetary policy goals in the short run. It doesn’t make any remote sense. The obvious suspicion will be that they want to politicize the mergers and acquisitions that’ll follow suit from that policy. It’s as simple as that.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OlujobaSamuel: 10:44am On Nov 25, 2023
kaybams1:

You may be the illiterate here. It’s not a priority. Besides, the Banking sector haven’t shown any sign of vulnerabilities in recent times to warrant such plan. Mopping liquidity should be backed by a certain reason - inflation will be the closest guess. However, it’s common knowledge that our inflation is an imported one. Basically tied to exchange rate fluctuations as a result of the inefficient market. So what’s the whole point of increasing capital base? How does that directly affect monetary policy goals in the short run. It doesn’t make any remote sense. The obvious suspicion will be that they want to politicize the mergers and acquisitions that’ll follow suit from that policy. It’s as simple as that.
Intercontinental, Oceanic, Afribank, PHB, Skye, of recent Polaris(New Skye), Union, First Bank, etc are having issues.
You enter so many banking halls and you find 2people manning a space created for 6.
FYI, some banks have even recapitalized themselves before now, strong capitalization means growth, as it spurs finance support to real sector of the economy.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by kaybams1(m): 10:55am On Nov 25, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Intercontinental, Oceanic, Afribank, PHB, Skye, of recent Polaris(New Skye), Union, First Bank, etc are having issues.
You enter so many banking halls and you find 2people manning a space created for 6.
FYI, some banks have even recapitalized themselves before now, strong capitalization means growth, as it spurs finance support to real sector of the economy.

Strong Capitalization without a cogent reason is counterproductive cos it stifles competition and growth. Oceanic, PHB and the likes had to be recapitalized then based on strong financial indicators which showed that they were already insolvent at the time. The current system is different with AMCON. It’s a rare thing to see such a situation cos of strict regulations. Understaffing isn’t a new thing. Every sector witnesses this and it’s not a reason to assume a Bank is distressed. The FUGAZ are even more notorious for this and you can’t say they’re distressed. Hard facts should drive decision making not textbook jargons. Governance isn’t by blowing empty grammar to cover political plots.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OlujobaSamuel: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2023
kaybams1:

Strong Capitalization without a cogent reason is counterproductive cos it stifles competition and growth. Oceanic, PHB and the likes had to be recapitalized then based on strong financial indicators which showed that they were already insolvent at the time. The current system is different with AMCON. It’s a rare thing to see such a situation cos of strict regulations. Understaffing isn’t a new thing. Every sector witnesses this and it’s not a reason to assume a Bank is distressed. The FUGAZ are even more notorious for this and you can’t say they’re distressed. Hard facts should drive decision making not textbook jargons. Governance isn’t by blowing empty grammar to cover political plots.
Smiles
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by orisa37: 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2023
SOLUDO DID IT WELL UNDER OBJ AND MANY OF THE SCAVENGER BANKS NOW OPERATING WERE WIPED OUT THEN. WE HAD NO FOREX PROBLEM THEN BECAUSE SOLUDO WAS RESPONSIBLE TO A CAREFUL PRESIDENT.
TINUBU MUST PEG NAIRA AT N500:$1 AND MAKE ALL PARALLEL, NOT BDCS, MARKETS ILLEGAL .

1 Like

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by thisisit: 12:22pm On Nov 25, 2023
Another poor and hasty monetary policy that would destroy whatever is left of the banking sub sector
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by freemi(m): 2:09pm On Nov 25, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Banks can’t close and run with your money like before 1999
oh thank you
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Annahh(f): 2:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Under staffing is as a result of high staff turnover in the banking industry which is caused by japa.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by francisobiabo(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2023
Could you tell us some more.... How many of those banks have recapitalised etc....
Thank you
OlujobaSamuel:

Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OlujobaSamuel: 3:35pm On Nov 25, 2023
Annahh:
Under staffing is as a result of high staff turnover in the banking industry which is caused by japa.
Japa didn't start today, the current trend of Japa started about 4yrs ago, meaning there is opportunity to address that if it's truly Japa that is the cause.
Btw, most of those exposed to Japa within the banking system are core staff not the contract, remember that banks make use of mostly lower graders (ND, NCE, HND & BSc) as their counter officers, which are not really the class that seeks to Japa
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by OlujobaSamuel: 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2023
francisobiabo:
Could you tell us some more.... How many of those banks have recapitalised etc....
Thank you
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2022/01/16/most-valuable-banks-in-nigeria-as-of-december-2021/%3famp=1
The link is according to the market report 2021 ending.
The CBN threshold is a minimum benchmark expected of them, it doesn't mean they ain't worth more.
Are you insinuating that banks are now not worth far above the 25bn threshold of Soludo era?
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Annahh(f): 6:33pm On Nov 25, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Japa didn't start today, the current trend of Japa started about 4yrs ago, meaning there is opportunity to address that if it's truly Japa that is the cause.
Btw, most of those exposed to Japa within the banking system are core staff not the contract, remember that banks make use of mostly lower graders (ND, NCE, HND & BSc) as their counter officers, which are not really the class that seeks to Japa
Lolzz, in my branch, contract and core staff japa at the same rate, because they are non core staff doesn't mean they don't have the means to japa, more contract staff japaed in my branch compared to core.
Re: CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks by Cutehector(m): 9:53pm On Nov 25, 2023
Banks need to increase their charges.

Atm withdrawals remote on us should be pegged at 75naira.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Three Nigerian Firms get Oil Licence (pix) / Buhari Congratulates Mike Adenuga At 65 / Mobile Phone Retailers In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.