Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport (31146 Views)

Lady, Her Family Fly Airpeace From Gatwick London To Lagos With Expired Passport / Can You Still Travel Back To Nigeria With An Expired Passport? / Countries Your Nigerian Passport Can Get You Into Visa-free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by JohnQueen(m): 1:25am On Nov 26, 2023
Better to enter with the green and exit with a red/blue grin
Draslo:
Try get blue or red passport. This green one will put you in unnecessary wahala

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Never4getU: 3:13am On Nov 26, 2023
Draslo:
Try get blue or red passport. This green one will put you in unnecessary wahala

How do one get the blue or red..buh wait the red type are for govt officials or diplomats?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Priceless200(f): 3:25am On Nov 26, 2023
sholatech:
Abike Dabiri has several times announced that FG of Nigeria approved all Nigerians be allowed to fly into the country with expired travel international passports. All airlines should have that advisory notice since
pls don't waste your money. They won't board you. I had a bitter experience with Qatar Air from USA.

You can try your luck with any airline that flies direct. No stop over anywhere to Nigeria. Before you buy ask the first.

A bike said that then, and it have elapsed January after it was said. Airlines are no longer mandated by Nigerian government to lift those with expired passports.

Another thing you can use is ETC. You can get emergency travel certificate from Nigerian embassy in the country you are.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by IjeBos(m): 4:18am On Nov 26, 2023
Priceless200:
pls don't waste your money. They won't board you. I had a bitter experience with Qatar Air from USA.

You can try your luck with any airline that flies direct. No stop over anywhere to Nigeria. Before you buy ask the first.

A bike said that then, and it have elapsed January after it was said. Airlines are no longer mandated by Nigerian government to lift those with expired passports.

Another thing you can use is ETC. You can get emergency travel certificate from Nigerian embassy in the country you are.

When was your Qatar flight?
Sounds like misinformation. Rescinding a policy like that would take time.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Miles300: 4:18am On Nov 26, 2023
I have traveled with an expired passport with Turkish Airlines back in 2017 , upon arrival at MMA the immigration offices checked it and said oga your passport is expired Nd I said ehen u wan send me go back? He looked at me and said he can't stamp it ..I said no wahala I carry my thing exist .

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Elonmuzk(m): 8:07am On Nov 26, 2023
I have not renewed my Nigerian passport for over 10 years now and I have been to Nigeria severally without any issues. Just make sure you have a valid second passport (dual citizenship)
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2023
Priceless200:

Were you an American citizen or a Permanent Resident when this happened?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Cotonou12: 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
@op I came into Nigeria this year with expired passport . My passport expired since September last year . No body disturbed me

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by wolverine78: 5:27pm On Nov 26, 2023
There is something called "Travel Document" I don't know what part of the world you are. I live in the US and I either travel with a Nigerian Visa or with the "Travel Document" It is a one-page document that allows you to travel to Nigeria with an expired passport. It is a hassle trying to get the stupid Nigerian passport, so I don't even bother about it.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by NomzyJust(m): 11:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
1Sharon:

But did you need to show evidence that you intended to renew your passport in Nigeria?

Do you intend to go back to London with the same expired passport?

I did not show any evidence that I intend to renew in Nigeria. I am back to London with renewed one.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by BornAgainCow: 1:29am On Nov 27, 2023
IjeBos:

When was your Qatar flight?
Sounds like misinformation. Rescinding a policy like that would take time.

shocked shocked

#FakeRichKid 😂😂

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by IjeBos(m): 6:29am On Dec 15, 2023
Some data points. A friend flew on Air France, no issue getting on the plane. Incidentally, they did get harassed at the Lagos airport.. go figure.
I flew American/British Airways. No issue checking in. Flight was cancelled so was rebooked on a United flight. No issue there as well. Both agents asked for my US passport then a Visa, told them I didn't need one. Asked for my Nigerian passport and I showed them the expired one. That was it.
I would make sure to bring the expired Nigerian Passport.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 8:27pm On Jan 02
Update:

I know someone who just boarded a lufthansa flight enroute to Lagos. He presented both his expired Nigerian Passport and valid USA Passport to the airline at the checkin counter. Both passports were scanned and boarding pass given to the guy with no questions asked. The flight will be transiting in Frankfurt. I'll give you more update as they come regarding his flight.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 10:33am On Jan 03
Obinoscopy:
Update:

I know someone who just boarded a lufthansa flight enroute to Lagos. He presented both his expired Nigerian Passport and valid USA Passport to the airline at the checkin counter. Both passports were scanned and boarding pass given to the guy with no questions asked. The flight will be transiting in Frankfurt. I'll give you more update as they come regarding his flight.
More Updates:

There were no passport control officers in Frankfurt, he just proceeded to his gate immediately he landed in Frankfurt. No security checks at all. I think its due to two reasons:

1. He is flying from a non-schengen area (USA) to a non-schengen area (NGR).

2. He flew from a country (USA) where they trust their security checks so no need to do any security checks again

So there was no incidence in Frankfurt. He presented his expired passport and boardinc pass to the airline attendant and they allowed him board...no issues.

I'll let you know what happens when he lands naija. I'm almost 100% sure there will be an incidence in Lagos with the immigration guys...lol. But he will trash it out, na correct naija guy im be.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Olaide1295: 11:36pm On Jan 03
NomzyJust:

You can travel. I left London two months ago with expired passport. I flew Egyptair. You do not need ETC; it's waste of money. When you get to Nigeria, no immigration can harass you over it. You're good to go.
I'm trying to book on EgyptAir website now and it's not accepting. my Nigerian passport. Boss, please what website did you book from.
I'm going to Lagos from London.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 11:44pm On Jan 03
Obinoscopy:
More Updates:

There were no passport control officers in Frankfurt, he just proceeded to his gate immediately he landed in Frankfurt. No security checks at all. I think its due to two reasons:

1. He is flying from a non-schengen area (USA) to a non-schengen area (NGR).

2. He flew from a country (USA) where they trust their security checks so no need to do any security checks again

So there was no incidence in Frankfurt. He presented his expired passport and boardinc pass to the airline attendant and they allowed him board...no issues.

I'll let you know what happens when he lands naija. I'm almost 100% sure there will be an incidence in Lagos with the immigration guys...lol. But he will trash it out, na correct naija guy im be.
More Updates:

So just like I predicted, there was a little drama at the Nigerian airport. Just a little drama that my guy was able to wiggle out of.

So when he got to the Lagos International Airport, he brought out his expired Nigerian Passport and his Emergency Travel Document which he got from the Nigerian Embassy in the US. He made sure to properly fold the Emergency docuemnt so it's not visible to the Passprt control guys. His plan was to just present the passport to the immigration guys and if they question the expiration date then he will reveal the Emergency document.

However for some reason, an immigration officer spoted the folded paper was able to decipher its content! He approached my guy, and made it seem as if he was trying to help beyond his statutory duty. He took my guys passport and his emergency document. He also asked some questions which he documented avidly. He then personally made sure to give the documents to a passport officer to adjudicate. After it was stamped, he asked my guy to find something for him. My guy politely told him no.

So this is the conclusion on my guy's trip. Lufthansa has no issues with expired passport as long you have another valid ID in addition to the passport. Just make sure to get your Emergency Travel Certificate done so you can take along with you to the Nigerian immigration guys.

4 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04
aieromon:

My friend flew Lufthansa from London into Abuja on an expired passport in September 2023.
I needed this cos right now my passport is expired and I need to fly just now,phew

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by NomzyJust(m): 12:04am On Jan 05
Olaide1295:

I'm trying to book on EgyptAir website now and it's not accepting. .

I used skyscanner.net
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 6:55am On Jan 06
Ok update.I have just used my expired Nigerian passport to board.I was allowed through.no trouble.lufthansa airlines London to portharcourt via Germany..just waiting for my Boarding gate to open. So plz travel with your expired 9ja passport.
PS Whilst waiting I help myself with some perfumes and ciroc.
Man nor die man nor rotten. grin

6 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 11:38am On Jan 06
Got to Germany no issues. Let us get to 9ja 1st

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On Jan 07
Got to Nigeria.no issues.At airport was advised to renew my passport I said thank you sir and it was signe.d

2 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Sicozone(m): 8:44am On Jan 25
Ahmed4002:
You all saying go to your embassy. Do you all know the hassle in getting appointment at Nigeria embassy in abroad?

Some times the only available appointment is in 3_6 months time.

Or you have to travel to a nearby country especially in Europe.

And the cost is outrageous.

Application fee.. 101$
Express (same day collection) ... 150 Euro

Not to talk about hotel bill, feeding, train tickets or flight.. depending from where you coming from.

Renewal of Nigeria passport abroad is a war.

I always advice those coming to Nigeria for holiday to always renew their passport in naija. Go for the 10 years validity.. it's cost about 120 thousand naira and it would save you all those stress 😬

Ok. So mine is not an expired passport, as I have until July before it expires. I want to travel to Nigeria for a week in March but I heard there's a six month validity requirement or something. Do you have any idea or know something about this?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Ahmed4002(m): 9:37am On Jan 25
Sicozone:

Ok. So mine is not an expired passport, as I have until July before it expires. I want to travel to Nigeria for a week in March but I heard there's a six month validity requirement or something. Do you have any idea or know something about this?

Yes, there is 6 months validity requirements for extensions, but this is waived when the passport is reported damage or stolen.

By the March when you are in Nigeria, it's like 4 months. You can renew, it's not a problem
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Abayomi69: 5:28am On Jan 31
I read that Lufthansa let's you through in Frankfurt. Thank God for that!
But how long does it take these days to renew your passport in Nigeria? What if I don't get it in time to fly back?
Is it possible to travel to Nigeria with a expired Nigerian passport and afterwards return to Schengen area with a dual citizen passport (Belgian in this case)?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 2:55pm On Jan 31
Abayomi69:
But how long does it take these days to renew your passport in Nigeria? What if I don't get it in time to fly back?
Is it possible to travel to Nigeria with a expired Nigerian passport and afterwards return to Schengen area with a dual citizen passport (Belgian in this case)?
This is what I am doing, to Nigeria with xpired 9ja passport then return with british passport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by baba4thegehs: 4:12pm On Jan 31
Why does a passport even expire sef!! If not for the government to rip you off.

A passport that was issues as a citizen!

Why should it have an expiry date?
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 4:48pm On Feb 01
Abayomi69:
You can travel to Nigeria with an expired passport, the problem is when you want to leave the country. I recommend you start the renewal process. If you do express it takes less than 1 week. And even if you don't get it, you can show evidence at the airport that you have commenced renewal, they should allow you to go.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Obinoscopy(m): 4:50pm On Feb 01
erico2k2:

This is what I am doing, to Nigeria with xpired 9ja passport then return with british passport.
You might have issues going back if you still haven't renewed your passport before leaving Nigeria. I advice you do express renewal. And even if the passport is not out you can present evidence that you have commenced the renewal process
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Feb 01
Obinoscopy:
You might have issues going back if you still haven't renewed your passport before leaving Nigeria. I advice you do express renewal. And even if the passport is not out you can present evidence that you have commenced the renewal process
I think you forgot the part where I said I have a British passport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Badgers14: 12:50am On Feb 02
erico2k2:

I think you forgot the part where I said I have a British passport.

Nigerian immigration do give folks hard time while leaving the country with an expired Nigerian passport even if you carry a valid foreign passport. ( speaking from experience, I had to go see oga at the top in the office).
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by erico2k2(m): 9:08am On Feb 02
Badgers14:

Nigerian immigration do give folks hard time while leaving the country with an expired Nigerian passport even if you carry a valid foreign passport. ( speaking from experience, I had to go see oga at the top in the office).

You are talking lur own story ..nobody can stop anybody to leave to thier country as far as the yhold a valid passport for thier country..B4 now check the post how folks here said yiu cannot travel with an 3xpired passport.U seeing iga at the top is u encouraging corruption and all the things we frown against at the airport.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With An Expired Nigerian Passport by Badgers14: 10:57am On Feb 02
erico2k2:

You are talking lur own story ..nobody can stop anybody to leave to thier country as far as the yhold a valid passport for thier country..B4 now check the post how folks here said yiu cannot travel with an 3xpired passport.U seeing iga at the top is u encouraging corruption and all the things we frown against at the airport.

Oga sir, my suggestion is to follow what obinoscopy said earlier.. if you are able to renew your passport while in Nigeria, please do it even if you don't have the renewed passport, have documentation that proved that you have initiated the process.

That I saw oga at the top doesn't mean anything exchanged hands.. after much preaching from the oga how they are trying to make Nigeria better etc.. he said he will let this slide because I was not doing ' big man, do you know who I am" that I was conversing with him in a calm voice and explaining my situation.. they know there was passport scarcity at the time but they still want people to make an effort to do the right thing that's why the paperwork that proves the process was done will suffice.

Abeg, let's leave big grammar aside.. please if you are able to renew it in Nigeria, do it otherwise they could frustrate your movement and you might miss your return flight.

See screenshot from U S department of state website..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibom Air CRJ 900 Spotted In Calgary Enroute Uyo, Nigeria / Train Crushed A Car At Ilupeju Byepass Last Night / Mercedes Benz Catches Fire In Port-Harcourt, Family Of 6 Escapes Death - photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.