Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,135 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer (6482 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
There's been a lot of publicity on HIV/Aids for so many years now. These publicity have imbibed fear in the minds of people who have taken per-cautionery measures to avoid contracting this deadly killer disease like it's often referred to. But i've come to realize that HIV is not the number 1 killer disease but Cancer. All the people i know that had cancer ended up dieing. From Tina Onwudiwe to one Celebrity Big brother contestant(can't remember her name) to Nelly's sister and so many other people. So, why's this disease not getting the kind of publicity that AIDS is getting? Btw, Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for 21 years and he still looks healthy.

So, what do you guys think. Which disease deserved more publicity?
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Sissy3(f): 7:10pm On Oct 30, 2011
i think cancer is getting it too. it all depends on which part of the world you are and also the prevalence of each disease there. for instance, in africa, hiv/aids gets more attention and publicity because it is more prevalent there. also hiv/aids is much more preventable than some cancers. i dont think each one deserves more/less publicity. both are equally deadly. the only is that cancer is more likely to kill you quickly and painfully than hiv.

i'd say however, that some type of cancers do receive more publicity than others example breast cancer vs pancreatic cancer. both are deadly but how many times have you heard of any kind of awareness/publicity on pancreatic cancer? because breast cancer is more common than the other
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ OP, Why Hiv/Aid is getting more attentions is because u will contact it when u have sex with somebody that have it, but u cant contact cancer when u sex somebody that hv cancer, that is just the reason
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
Cancer is hard to define, it isn't really any ONE disease it's the name for a GROUP of diseases. . plus there's no stigman associated with cancer. but there is with HIV, Cancer can be "cured" at times, HIV can not, you can't infect people with your cancer, you can with hiv,
honestly, most people would still rather have cancer than HIV
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by dabrake(m): 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
If forced 2 choose 1, i'ld go wyt hiv. Frm maryam babangida to yinka craig to gani fahewinmi to yemi tella and the list of d rich who hv passed on due 2 cancer continues. Omo, i reject cancer 4 eternity
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by yamakuza: 1:03pm On Oct 31, 2011
Both are bad but people with cancer get more love than people with HIV.

If not for the stigma, HIV would not be worse than hepatitis or syphillis.

The stigma kills faster than the virus itself.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 31, 2011
Cancer kills faster than AID/HIV, never knew until it took Spartacus and Steve Jobs lives
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 31, 2011
Steve jobs had been dealing with cancer for years, and tired to cure it with diet, big mistake
if you try to cure hiv with diet too u go die fast,
don't compare apples with oranges,
some cancers have high mortality, others don't .
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by eghost247(m): 1:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
i believe every disease should be publicized and people should be informed about everything that can damage their health
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by muyoto: 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
odiaero:

@ OP, Why Hiv/Aid is getting more attentions is because u will contact it when u Be Intimate with somebody that have it, but u cant contact cancer when u sex somebody that hv cancer, that is just the reason

@bolded, wrong.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Wallie(m): 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2011
There’s a lot of misinformation going on. There are different kinds of cancer, and some are more curable than others. Some have a high percentage cure rate while there are others that are highly deadly. See the attached graph below:

Further, there’s little to nothing that you can do to prevent most forms of cancer but HIV is 100% preventable.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Wallie(m): 1:47pm On Oct 31, 2011

Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Dosoq(f): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
its true,i am a serving corp member n a member of Hiv/Aids PET Group,dere is no cancer group dat dos awareness lik PET
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Odunnu: 2:06pm On Oct 31, 2011
Cancer publicity is gainin grounds in recent times now. Most of the NGOs I know that registered are campaigning against cancer,looks like the hiv campaign market is saturated and they aint getting international aid as before.
As an off topic, cancer is worse than HIV but I think Liver failure takes the cup for 'killer disease'.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 31, 2011
Cancer is worse than HIV but malaria kills faster than both.I just think maybe some people make more money from hiv than cancer;you know condom,anti-retrovirals and others yield more for HIv:
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 31, 2011
muyoto:

@bolded, wrong.

Wrong ke, what is wrong there, or u just want to type?
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by campella(m): 2:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
yamakuza:

Both are bad but people with cancer get more love than people with HIV.

If not for the stigma, HIV would not be worse than hepatitis or syphilis.

The stigma kills faster than the virus itself.

That is if you allow yourself to be mocked.
I am not saying it is better, but I believe cancer should be given the same publicity.
grin grin
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Beync(f): 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2011
odiaero:

@ OP, Why Hiv/Aid is getting more attentions is because u will contact it when u Be Intimate with somebody that have it, but u cant contact cancer when u sex somebody that hv cancer, that is just the reason
True
ATLgal:

Cancer is hard to define, it isn't really any ONE disease it's the name for a GROUP of diseases. . plus there's no stigman associated with cancer. but there is with HIV, Cancer can be "cured" at times, HIV can not, you can't infect people with your cancer, you can with hiv,
honestly, most people would still rather have cancer than HIV
true.
plus life style of some country people increases the chance of gettin cancer. Like use of drugs, cosmetics and junk foods of which the Nigerians are not worse as compared to the much developed wests.
HIV deserves more publicity because large population of people of which most are not informed indulge in sex, and even unsafe sex courtesy ignorance which is major source of transmision, so hiv deserves much publicity as well as cancer
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by usbcable(m): 3:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
~Sissy~:

i'd say however, that some type of cancers do receive more publicity than others example bosom cancer vs pancreatic cancer. both are deadly but how many times have you heard of any kind of awareness/publicity on pancreatic cancer? because bosom cancer is more common than the other
na wa for these unwanted editing sef.
breas't cancer now turned into bosom cancer all in the name of keeping it clean. undecided
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by pkv(m): 5:51pm On Oct 31, 2011
^i dont google 4 d term bosom cancer tire.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Jarus(m): 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2011
Having been worried by the prevalence of cancer deaths these days, I have taken up the campaign myself. Recently I sent a mail to all members of my department(organization) reminding them on the need to know more about Cancers and attached a 15-slide presentation I got from an online health site I subscribed to.

None of them deserves publicity more than the other but I think we need to still do more on Cancer. The challenge is Cancer, unlike, HIV is more difficult to explain, especially to the illiterate population. Cancer is far more complex, even to diagnose unlike HIV. From causes to symptoms, Cancer is just too complex unlike HIV which can easily be explained as transmittable thru blood or other body fluids exchange.

I have been doing serious personal reading on Cancer in recent time and sometimes it appears virtually everything can cause one form of cancer or the other.

Which one is deadlier? I think Cancer. Cancer kills faster than HIV. An infected HIV person can manage it and live with it for more than 10 years, I have not seen anybody diagnosed of cancer survive it for more than 10 years. Steve Jobs was diagnosed in 2004, and with all his wealth, only managed to live with it for 7 years.

HIV is also far more easily preventable than cancer.

We have recorded so many cancer deaths in Nigeria in recent time. Tayo Aderinokun(ex-CEO, GTB), Bayo Ligali(ex-CEO, Zain), Ibrahim Jega(ex-ED, UBA and INEC Chair's'immediate younger brother) have all died of cancer in recent time.

That said, both are very deadly and we dont pray we or any of our relatives/friends fall victim. But we need to start being conscious of cancer - know the types and the risk factors and try as much as possible to move away from them, for those possible. Eat good foods, know about the contents and value of the food/drinks you take, exercise regularly, do regular medical check-ups.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by collinsJn(m): 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2011
^i dont google 4 d term bosom
cancer tire. Laugh Døn Kill Me Die Here, I Was Kinda Of SUPRISE @ First Wen I Saw 'BOSOM CANCER '.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by Jarus(m): 9:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
See ignorance of NL filter on display here.
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by dominique(f): 10:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
^^^ lol, goes to show that mods are not immunt to dem spam bots grin

muyoto:

@bolded, wrong.

professor, when did cancer become contagious?
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by pkv(m): 2:33am On Nov 01, 2011
dominique:

^^^ lol, goes to show that mods are not immunt to dem spam bots grin

professor, when did cancer become contagious?
nairaland cancer na!hehehe!
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by freepeople: 9:25am On Nov 01, 2011
odiaero:

True, but not absolute. Hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus which has been implicated in the induction and progression of primary liver cancer can be transmitted through sexu.al intercourse, blood transfusion, use of sharp object, and use of unsterilized injection needle.

~Bluetooth:

Cancer is worse than HIV but malaria kills faster than both.I just think maybe some people make more money from hiv than cancer;you know condom,anti-retrovirals and others yield more for HIv:

True, depending on the stage of the cancer. Late-stage cancer is worse than HIV, but early-stage cancer has a better prognosis than HIV

afam4eva:

. All the people i know that had cancer ended up dieing. From Tina Onwudiwe to one Celebrity Big brother contestant(can't remember her name) to Nelly's sister and so many other people. So, why's this disease not getting the kind of publicity that AIDS is getting? Btw, Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for 21 years and he still looks healthy.

I knew many more people that survived cancer. Louis Armstrong survived testicular cancer to win Tour de France, John McCain survived malignant melanoma, my grandfather survived prostate cancer to die naturally 20yrs after. The list is endless.

afam4eva:

There's been a lot of publicity on HIV/Aids for so many years now. These publicity have imbibed fear in the minds of people who have taken per-cautionery measures to avoid contracting this deadly killer disease like it's often referred to. But i've come to realize that HIV is not the number 1 killer disease but Cancer. All the people i know that had cancer ended up dieing. From Tina Onwudiwe to one Celebrity Big brother contestant(can't remember her name) to Nelly's sister and so many other people. So, why's this disease not getting the kind of publicity that AIDS is getting? Btw, Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for 21 years and he still looks healthy.

Cancer is not even the number one killer disease. But it is one of the top-rank killer diseases among the elderly. Remember that the seniors makes up just 15-20% of the population in developing countries like Nigeria. HIV ranks higher than cancer among the youths which makes up >60% of Nigeria's population. So HIV deserves its publicity.
Some form of cancer(brea.st) are getting publicity, while others unfortunately gets none.
I will prefer an early form of cancer to HIV, while I will rather swallow HIV drugs than having late form of cancer.

In conclusion, HIV deserves more publicity than cancer since it
1. mostly affects the youth who are the labour force of a nation
2. Youths makes up >60% of the population
3. HIV has a higher tendency to assume an epidemic form in a population
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by damascusm: 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2011
i think publicity is not the issue, because either publish or not,this disease are terminal and is not really cause by the physical things we see, eat e t c. if we look at it in spiritual wise all this things are being origenated by the devils and demons if publish it will not stop people from having developing or getting infected so pls one cannot avoid things like this ,u only need to learn how to deal with it, be blessed
Re: HIV/AIDS Vs Cancer by EfeEkarume(m): 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
eghost247:

i believe every disease should be publicized and people should be informed about everything that can damage their health
Even cold!

(1) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Is A Sleep-Walker (Somnambulist) / NGO Marks 2023 World Heart Day With Donation Of Relief Items To Hospitals In FCT / Edo Resident Doctors Embark On 3-day Warning Strike Over Nonpayment Of Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.