Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,298 members, 7,860,730 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:04 PM

Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, (15608 Views)

My Nasty Experience With Nigerian In New Jersey / LASTMA Announces Traffic Diversion For Tinubu’s Five-million-man Walk / Obiora Okonkwo To Launch United Nigeria Airline In Honour Of Blessed Iwene Tansi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by SmartyPants(m): 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2023
Programmer47:

Here is your answer as well.
If one is not well versed on an industry , it shows in their speech.
This case is similar to a novice blaming the Mason for the structure of the house when the buck stops at the architect

I've seen Keyamo's full interview and he directly indicted the control tower too. This is not about any blame game - and if the airline had no part in it, why did they then come out to say the plane was diverted due to bad weather when it was obvious there was a fundamental mistake made??
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ThatCEO: 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
Resetinc:
Empty head minister,

Planes are equipped with GPS and pilots input their routes/destination to the gps which draws a line on a map, and they follow that line to their destination. If your plane doesn't have GPS, then a tablet or even your phone can run an app that does about the same thing, at least for visual flight rules….there is also ILS navigation system that picks signals and guides pilots on approach , you don’t have to be a Nigerian to fly an airplane in Nigeria you empty head barrister, We have Control towers that communicate and monitor flight with radio assistance, and onboard inertial reference systems…
What the hell is a fvcking lawyer doing in the aviation ministry?? this country eeh!!

Baba no stress yourself on that empty head. Let's even agree the pilots are not familiar with naija, which means they don't know the route to Abuja, so how come they knew the route to Asaba cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by XAUBulls: 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
Racoon:
https://www.thecable.ng/flight-diversion-united-nigeria-pilots-werent-familiar-with-nigerian-terrain-says-keyamo/amp

Even foreign airline pilots shouldn't make such flight destination errors where due diligence is a mantra in the aviation sector. Period.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Blackdisciple(m): 7:29pm On Nov 28, 2023
Pls what do this man know about aviation

In Nigeria can't an ex air force personnel become aviation minister...

Kayanmata is a SAN he should be in a chamber together with his brothers lying to Nigerians and sacking elected politicians opandon not an aviation minister for God sake

1 Like

Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by sirpharrell(m): 7:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
Programmer47:

A control tower keeps track of its outgoing flights. Before the plane jets off , a flight plan is handed over to the pilot to assist with the navigational process. It was an obvious negligence on the part of the control tower, not the pilots.
It has nothing to do with the pilots not knowing the terrain.
At 30,000 ft in the air, there is no way to differentiate states. The "ignorant folks" according to you simply stated that Keyamo used the wrong technical term to describe the error and you immediately rushed to comment without properly analyzing what is being said.

"The pilots are not familiar with this terrain" is a sentence that reeks of ignorance.
A wrong flight plan was delivered to the navigator. It has nothing to do with the pilot who was just following his navigation systems.

I see this as just another scheme to attack aircrafts who probably run their aircrafts on wet lease.
Place the blame where it lies. On the control tower. Not only did they Bleep up the flight plan, they also failed to keep tabs on an outgoing flight which in some countries is grounds for severe reprisals.

So the issue now is the wrong technical term used by the minister and not whether what he said was true or not.
You are the one that rushed to comment without knowing what actually happened.
And now you are clutching on straws.
I had heard about the details of what actually happened before the minister spoke.
I had heard that the error originated from the wrong destination code given to the foreign pilot. ABB instead of ABV.
A Nigerian pilot would have detected the error as he would have known that his destination is not Asaba.
That probably is what the minister meant by understanding the terrain and why he insisted that a wet lease plane must have at least one Nigerian in the cockpit.
I am sure you didn't know any of these but just rushed to spew ignorance.
By the way, it may be new in Nigeria but this is not the first time that a pilot flew to the wrong destination.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by sirpharrell(m): 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2023
SmartyPants:

I've seen Keyamo's full interview and he directly indicted the control tower too. This is not about any blame game - and if the airline had no part in it, why did they then come out to say the plane was diverted due to bad weather when it was obvious there was a fundamental mistake made??

Don't mind the guy. People just come online to form woke and knowledgeable on issues they know little or nothing about.
I wonder what the minister said that was out of order.
Anybody who has a brain would know that this issue was a matter of miscommunication. It has happened in other countries before.
Those to be held liable are the officers in the various levels of communication including the control tower operators.
But a Nigerian pilot would most probably not have proceeded in the error.
That is probably what the minister meant by "understanding the terrain"
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 8:09pm On Nov 28, 2023
pocom35:

See what this one is saying... airplanes collide mid air?
Or is it because of cheap data y'all just come and comment anything?

It's obvious the pilot mistook Asaba for Abuja and that was where they flew to from the very beginning..
mumu so Abasa and Abuja has same spelling... Don't u read where he said, when u input Ur destination it will draw a line .. u need to live outside Africa atleast for a year to know how map works.. every day of my life here I walk with Google map, I just input my destination nd it shows me the easiest route to my destination.. mugu
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by sirpharrell(m): 8:23pm On Nov 28, 2023
ELKHALIFAISIS:
mumu so Abasa and Abuja has same spelling... Don't u read where he said, when u input Ur destination it will draw a line .. u need to live outside Africa atleast for a year to know how map works.. every day of my life here I walk with Google map, I just input my destination nd it shows me the easiest route to my destination.. mugu

Google map works everywhere, even in my village. You don't have to live outside Africa to use Google map.
You said "When you input your destination, it will draw a line"?
What if the foreign pilot put Asaba instead of Abuja as destination?
Well, that is what happened according to inside sources.
He put the destination code ABB instead of ABV.
That is what technology gives you sometimes, Garbage In Garbage Out.
If there was a Nigerian in that cockpit, he would most probably have detected the destination error.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by owagbeba: 8:44pm On Nov 28, 2023
post=127209547:

Ignorance is no excuse,
A pilot shouldn't be flying in a terrain he knows nothing about.
We hope they have learnt their lessons now.

Then what’s the need for automated guidance systems on these planes if the pilots need terrain familiarity and visual cues to fly in Nigeria?

At those height terrain familiarity and visual cues don’t work because you can’t see a thing.. all clouds.. no landmarks
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by themanderon: 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2023
Just imagine the excuse.if they had landed those people in Antarctica is this what they will be saying?
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by pocom35: 9:33pm On Nov 28, 2023
ELKHALIFAISIS:

Mistaking one for another doesn't have to do with spellings... receive sense
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by pocom35: 9:35pm On Nov 28, 2023
SonOfaRichman:

You must be daft?
So in your total existence you don't know planes can and have collided on air?
Oga...with all the advancement in Aviation
The tendency for such to happen is very low...

Crash ..yes ..but two passenger plane colliding mid air...it rarely happens in this modern era
.. inshort out of several air incidents the ones involving air collision of passenger planes isn't more than 7..

Received sense...some of y'all just come out and form woke when you are completely ignorant
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ViceGovernor: 10:02pm On Nov 28, 2023
It was clear that when the pilot was taking off from Lagos, he was headed to Asaba, not Abuja. Whereas the flight was headed to Abuja

The story never clear o...plane dey go different destination from pilot 😒

This naija the more you look the less you understand.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by 12inchess: 12:24am On Nov 29, 2023
3 near crash flight incidents. One plane missed it's way to another city. Nigerian Aviation authority is playing with fire. God forbid a serious incident. Hope they won't come here and say its "an act of God"
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by fkj950ax(m): 1:03am On Nov 29, 2023
No commercial airline allows pilots to navigate using terrain.

Keyamo should just park it there
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by sirpharrell(m): 1:09am On Nov 29, 2023
12inchess:
3 near crash flight incidents. One plane missed it's way to another city. Nigerian Aviation authority is playing with fire. God forbid a serious incident. Hope they won't come here and say its "an act of God"

Compared to the situation before now, the situation in other countries and the situation in our military aviation, Nigerian civil aviation is in a healthy state. Of course, there is plenty room for improvement but the present situation does not warrant raising any alarm. Our planes are much better than we use to have and our airports are much safer than ever before. It is only those with short memory or people who started flying recently will argue about this.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 2:26am On Nov 29, 2023
sirpharrell:

Google map works everywhere, even in my village. You don't have to live outside Africa to use Google map.
You said "When you input your destination, it will draw a line"?
What if the foreign pilot put Asaba instead of Abuja as destination?
Well, that is what happened according to inside sources.
He put the destination code ABB instead of ABV.
That is what technology gives you sometimes, Garbage In Garbage Out.
If there was a Nigerian in that cockpit, he would most probably have detected the destination error.

no wonder when u ask them to tell u about Africa and they will list. Poverty, food , hunger , water and jungle... Even a dunce will understand the two abbreviations...

Let them stop flying in Africa space
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by holyfather(m): 5:43am On Nov 29, 2023
Racoon:
https://www.thecable.ng/flight-diversion-united-nigeria-pilots-werent-familiar-with-nigerian-terrain-says-keyamo/amp

Incompetence at its peak, I don't care how you explain it.

May people going to Sokoto not land in Sambisa some day grin
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by zoomzoom(m): 8:54am On Nov 29, 2023
[quote author=Racoon post=127204124]-United Nigeria Airline: "Flight diverted to Abuja because of bad weather."

-NCAA/FMOA/Aviation Minister: "United Nigeria pilots weren’t familiar with Nigerian terrain"

Hear the senseless thing this fool is saying. This is what happens when you have a charge and bail lawyer heading a sensitive sector like aviation.

And no one have been relieved of his or her appointment nor the operating license of this irresponsible airline withdrawn? Playing with human lives while downplaying same for stupid reasons? Chai.

This guy thinks flying is like driving a car on the road.
Can someone please educate this two- bit lawyer that you NAVIGATE TO FLY. That's why you can input your correct coordinates and fly to LONDON at night.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by Obierika(m): 3:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
VULCAN:
So the point you are trying to make is that the PRO MUST tell a lie to be adjudged good on the job.

You must belong to APC

You're saying this because you have never worked in a senior position in an important role therefore you have no idea how to manage a crisis situation!
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by SonOfaRichman: 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2023
pocom35:

Oga...with all the advancement in Aviation
The tendency for such to happen is very low...

Crash ..yes ..but two passenger plane colliding mid air...it rarely happens in this modern era
.. inshort out of several air incidents the ones involving air collision of passenger planes isn't more than 7..

Received sense...some of y'all just come out and form woke when you are completely ignorant

Go delete ur earlier post that made me replied you.

You have gone to make your findings, perhaps if you get dstv you may not have very much come on here to display your ignorance.
Re: Flight Diversion: United Nigeria Pilots Weren’t Familiar With Nigerian Terrain, by pocom35: 2:08am On Nov 30, 2023
SonOfaRichman:

Go delete ur earlier post that made me replied you.

You have gone to make your findings, perhaps if you get dstv you may not have very much come on here to display your ignorance.

This isn't about making findings
... realistically speaking..that kind of incident is almost impossible... inshort it can't happen.. except if the aircrafts are performing acrobatics..

I just told you of all the thousands of crash ever recorded on earth not more than 7 were of that type...what does that tells you...
Why are y'all always quick to talk down on your country so bad...you must always curse the government even for actions caused by regular individuals like you and I..

Would you still blaim Tinubu for the mistake of the airline or you are telling me such can't happen on abroad...

Are you aware that once upon a time an commercial jet plane with over 130 passengers missed it route and began flying to an unrestricted zone.. the airforce within that domain shut the plane down...this was a Malaysian airline...you all should stop acting daft and stupid...

If it happens abroad....thank God for live...
It happens in Nigeria... Nigeria is a zoo... Nigeria is this.. Tinubu is that...
Sign..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do Nigerian International Airports Have Free Wi-fi? Pls Narrate / Nigerians To Pay VAT On International Passports – FIRS / FAAN To Ban Bribe Takers From Working At Nigerian Airports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.