Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Has American English Taken Over From British English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Has American English Taken Over From British English? (5084 Views)

When You Finish A Test That The Other Classes Haven't Taken Yet (photo) / Exam Cheating Taken To Another Level / Top Hilarious Differences Between Nigeria English And American English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Afam4eva(m): 7:49pm On Oct 29, 2011
There's been a gradual and steady shift from the conventional English which is Britich by Origin to the modern American English. I think it's getting it's toll on me cos i now spell "Color" instead of "Colour".

Do you guys think American English is taking over?
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Emmyk(m): 2:27am On Oct 30, 2011
Thats true. But it's still not accepted in school exams. And I mean all those conspicuous words.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by iice(f): 2:24pm On Oct 30, 2011
Yea it is.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by stepo707: 10:26am On Oct 31, 2011
To some extent yes.I actually prefer the american spelling system.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by MrWhy1(m): 10:26am On Oct 31, 2011
Oh Yea.  There was a time Latin was dominant. It comes with the super power and academic status.

Who knows. Maybe in few decades. The question would be,  Has Chinese language taken over American English?  we would be learning Mandarin Chinese language en masse by then and 'imitating' the way they speak.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 31, 2011
Yes. Datz International English. British English remains with UK n her former colonies
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by buy4me: 10:38am On Oct 31, 2011
English language  will die with time, no thanks to all the abbreviations that social networks and sms introduced to wipe the real spelling off. very few graduates can write a good essay with correct spellings these days. With time, Africa will have swahili to give to the world, while Igbo language faces extinction.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 31, 2011
I actually mix the 2, But use more of American English sha, The message is what matter anyway!!!
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:02am On Oct 31, 2011
I cant tell the difference anymore,
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by yahyus(m): 11:10am On Oct 31, 2011
I prefer American English though I hate America.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by ImaIma1(f): 11:19am On Oct 31, 2011
we cant help abbreviations evn before social networks.i usd to copy notes with abbreviations in school

the spellings matter o.try studying english in school, and u will kno it matters when u start failing cos u r mixing english and american variations.

i still prefer the british cos its more intelligible, but again maybe cos i studied english.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by omobadan(m): 11:27am On Oct 31, 2011
Taken over in which country? I don't think it's taken over when it comes to writing, at least in Nigeria. But maybe in speaking & that's mostly with the youths. You can't write American English in Naija, it'll seem incorrect ie taking out the 'U' in 'colour' or writing 'center' (American) instead of 'centre' (British). Unless you live in the US, there's really no reason why anyone in Naija should be writing in American English. That's not what was taught in school.

1 Like

Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by VALIDATOR: 11:35am On Oct 31, 2011
American English took over several decades ago.
When you have power, people will be forced to speak your language, worship your God your way and do everything the way you do.

Whenever I watch BBCE on DSTV, their English sounds stoopeed. Why?Cos American English is what I hear all over the radio stations and watch in all movies. In fact British English sounds funny.Just imagine how they call "way" like "why".lol
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Martmore: 11:47am On Oct 31, 2011
That is how it should be.This shows that nobody who is non english can speak it as the Britons.We should be encouraging our people to be speaking their native languages even as they speak english both in school and at workplace
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by paniki(m): 11:58am On Oct 31, 2011
Many of you people seem to be talking about American spelling instead of American English. American English is when you use words like 'rookie' instead of 'novice'
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by eros(m): 12:11pm On Oct 31, 2011
Yes America English has taken over British English in Nigeria.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
Nigerians watch TOO much american tv,
i hear people say they went to high school, er, no you didn't, you have no clue what highschool is, school in the US isn't 6 3 3 4,
you went to secondary school,
or they say they went to college,
so much American lexicon creeps in,
they even say 18 is the age of consent, for where? not in Nigeria, na 13 abeg,

but the line is so blurred for some people, . I tire,
soon them go say Burger na naija food,
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
paniki NOT true

rookie is a slang not an official word,
American is when you speak bad English yet feel superior,
l
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by eghost247(m): 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2011
Yes,prefer American English love the British accent though
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by paniki(m): 1:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
ATLgal:

paniki NOT true

rookie is a slang not an official word,
American is when you speak bad English yet feel superior,
l

Lol, ok.

American English is when people say 'folks' instead of 'people', 'candy' instead of 'sweets', 'gas' instead of 'petrol', 'vacation' instead of 'holiday', 'line' instead of 'queue', 'sidewalk' instead of 'pavement'
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by nagoma(m): 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
When I was younger "a kid" meant a youg goat. These days a kid is a human child . Thanks to American language.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2011
yup, and ga.y meant happy, now it's censored on NL. undecided
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Wallie(m): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
Rookie is not slang and is mostly used in relation to sports. We still say novice but I can't remember using it recently and would rather describe the person as being naive, newbie or a rookie.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2011
it is slang and it is used for people in service as well, IE police officers.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
FYI - it didn't originate in N.A and is a uk word

Etymology (word origin)

The Oxford English Dictionary states that the origins are uncertain, but that perhaps it is a corruption of the word recruit. The earliest example from the OED is from Rudyard Kipling's Barrack-Room Ballads (published 1892): So 'ark an' 'eed, you rookies, which is always grumblin' sore, referring to rookies in the sense of raw recruits to the British Army. Its origin is perhaps influenced by the word rook in its secondary sense, suggesting "easy to cheat."
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Wallie(m): 3:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
ATLgal:

it is slang and it is used for people in service as well, IE police officers.

Do you understand that saying a word is "slang" means that it is not used in the ordinary sense of the word? Rookie has a specific meaning defined in the dictionary and it is only used as such. Have you ever used "rookie" to mean anything other than a "new recruit" or the "uninitiated"?

Why are you so “bent” out of shape? Bent as used is slang for angry. Rookie is not slang.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by martinosi: 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
Sometimes i wonder what runs through the *Head* on some people on "NL"
Is this even an issue,
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by pynkspyce: 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2011
for spoken english i believe American English is now king.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by freshcvv(m): 3:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
Try writing in American english here in Nigerian's exams and see how you go just dey fail go.

American english ko, amalawean english ni
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
No anger. Just pointing out it has it's roots in an error. E no reach the level u wan take am.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by zenboy66: 3:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
I think there is a mix of American and British english in business and professional writing. However, the trend is definitely towards American. I myself prefer American english because it is closer to how words are pronounced. I remember being stuck by the difference between spellings and pronunciations of words like Colonel as a kid.
Re: Has American English Taken Over From British English? by Wallie(m): 4:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
ATLgal:

No anger. Just pointing out it has it's roots in an error. E no reach the level u wan take am.

grin You misunderstood my example using “bent out of shape.” I wasn't trying to say that you're angry; I was just using it to show that slangs are used in a way different from their every day meaning. I no take am reach any level o. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUP Finally Decides To Call Off Strike As ASUU Snubs Committee On Education / What Will You Do If Your Roommate Do This? / ₦7m Bulletproof Classroom Shelter That Can Withstand School Shooters(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.