Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government (1024 Views)

This Is The Oyedepo Hangar They Plan To Demolish / UK Government Advises Citizens To Avoid 7 Nigerian States With High Violence / Nigerian Immigration Has Finished Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2023
A new five-point plan to reduce immigration has been announced by the government, which includes banning care workers from bringing over their families and increasing the minimum salary for a skilled worker visa.

Home Secretary James Cleverly has come under pressure since taking office three weeks ago to show he is taking a hardline on immigration.

Follow live: What do the numbers tell us about UK migration?

Conservatives are angry about the latest thwarting of the Rwanda deportation scheme in the courts and net migration hitting 745,000 last year.

Today's five-point plan - which is "more robust" than any previous government's stance on migration, according to Mr Cleverly - includes measures on health and care visas, skilled worker visas, family visas, the shortage occupation list and student visa

The measures are:

• Health and care visas: Overseas care workers will not be able to bring family dependants, to end the "abuse of the health and care visa". Care firms that want to sponsor people for visa applications will need to be regulated by the Care Quality Commission;

• Skilled worker visa minimum salary change: The threshold for an application will rise to £38,700 - although health and care workers will still be able to earn less before applying for the route;

• Shortage occupation list: The government wants to "scrap cut-price shortage labour from overseas" by reforming the way people working in short-staffed sectors can apply to come to the UK. This will include axing the 20% discount applied to the minimum salary for people looking for a visa for shortage occupations. The types of jobs on the list will also be reviewed and reduced;

• Family visas: The minimum threshold for a family visa will also be raised to £38,700 to "ensure people only bring dependants whom they can support financially". Currently, it stands at the 2012 rate of £18,600;

• Student visas: Following the tightening of who can bring in family members on student visas earlier this year, the government will ask the Migration Advisory Committee to review the graduate route "to prevent abuse and protect the integrity and quality of UK higher education".

Mr Cleverly claimed these measures - as well as the previously announced measures on students - would mean that 300,000 people who entered the UK last year would not have been able to.

He also re-announced plans to raise the increase of the immigration health surcharge from £624 to £1,035.

He told MPs: "When our country voted to leave the European Union, we voted to take back control of our
borders.

"Thanks to this Conservative government, we now have a points-based immigration system
through which we control who comes to the UK.

"We prioritise the skills and talent we need to grow our economy and support our NHS - and
we have a competitive visa system for globally-mobile talent."

He added: "Immigration policy must be fair, consistent, legal, and sustainable."

https://news.sky.com/story/tougher-visa-rules-for-foreign-workers-including-ban-on-bringing-families-and-raising-minimum-salary-requirement-13022936

2 Likes

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by atiku4President(m): 6:12pm On Dec 04, 2023
Noted
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by jkpbestseries: 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2023
one day developing countries will be developed and things will be alright
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by ednut1(m): 10:01pm On Dec 04, 2023
No Japa route lasts for ever. Visit Visa to the USA and adjusting status was a thing years ago. Today even visa date na war. 2015 to 2022 Canada PR was not that hard, today he don hard . Germany, UAE, China etc don hard. Now that UK wants to close the door there will be more opportunities for those that got in.

3 Likes

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Gerrard59(m): 1:57am On Dec 05, 2023
I read the comments by Brits in the Telegraph and Financial Times, and they come across as angry that immigration soared, whereas BREXIT was supposed to reduce the numbers.

So, the Conservative Party is doing what its supporters desire. Even the Labour Party Chief, Mr Keir, has complained about the rise in immigration.

1 Like

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by PedoBear: 2:07am On Dec 05, 2023
I support this

There's way too many niggers in the UK
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Raalsalghul: 3:39am On Dec 05, 2023
Gerrard59:
I read the comments by Brits in the Telegraph and Financial Times, and they come across as angry that immigration soared, whereas BREXIT was supposed to reduce the numbers.

So, the Conservative Party is doing what its supporters desire. Even the Labour Party Chief, Mr Keir, has complained about the rise in immigration.

U.K always trying to be smart by half.

They should have started by cancelling student visas and their dependents and leave their educational institutions for home students.

Then, I'll know they're serious.

Oh I forgot, they need the money: those shiny piece of wand notes.

But on the other hand, interesting to read the comment section of news like this: tells you a lot about how white people think.

1 Like

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Gerrard59(m): 3:43am On Dec 05, 2023
Raalsalghul:

U.K always trying to be smart by half.

They should have started by cancelling student visas and their dependents and leave their educational institutions for home students.

Oh I forgot, they need the money: those shiny piece of wand notes.

They are not being honest and sincere. Compared to, say, Japan, South Korea and Singapore, which increase the financial requirements for foreign students and close down unqualified schools, the UK drags its feet regarding the closure of "mushroom universities". Why they do so, I don't know.

But from the comments I read in those newspapers, it was expected. The Brits were angry.

1 Like

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Gerrard59(m): 3:46am On Dec 05, 2023
ednut1:
No Japa route lasts for ever. Visit Visa to the USA and adjusting status was a thing years ago. Today even visa date na war. 2015 to 2022 Canada PR was not that hard, today he don hard. Germany, UAE, China etc don hard. Now that UK wants to close the door there will be more opportunities for those that got in.

I recalled my dad gisting me about his village brother who relocated to Canada in 2015. The man closed down his businesses in Lagos and sold everything including the houses he owned there and in the village. He moved his wife and FIVE children to Canada. Then, less than 500 Nigerians had applied through EE, and he did not spend more than I think two million naira in processing everything.

He should have become a citizen by now. When I recall his case and how things be now, I smile.

3 Likes

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Raalsalghul: 3:55am On Dec 05, 2023
Gerrard59:

They are not being honest and sincere. Compared to, say, Japan, South Korea and Singapore, which increase the financial requirements for foreign students and close down unqualified schools, the UK drags its feet regarding the closure of "mushroom universities". Why they do so, I don't know.

But from the comments I read in those newspapers, it was expected. The Brits were angry.

I understand it's their country and they'll always make laws to suit themselves.

But apart from not been honest and being insincere, it's the arrogance of the British for me.
They think too highly of themselves.

Your fellow white-skinned European folks were with you, you were pissed and clamored for BREXIT.

BREXIT came and your fellow white-skinned folks from other European countries left.

Now, you've got staff shortages and since you've sent white skinned folks away, your only alternatives are colored folks from third world countries which is still a problem for you. undecided

All these are domino-effects since BREXIT and the only way they could counter are knee-jerk policies.

Worst still, the average British Joe six pack knows absolutely nothing about their immigration policies and charges.

If I were a policy maker, I'd campaign they join the E.U back, that way even if immigration is high they can be consoled by the fact it's their fellow white skinned fellows: let's not act as if racism is not a factor in all this.

Whether they like it or not, they're always going to need immigration.

And while at it, they should throw their weight behind competent personalities to rule the third-world nations they loathe as that'll be a preventive measure for immigrants seeking greener pastures in their countries.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by IkeIgboNiile(m): 4:09am On Dec 05, 2023
PedoBear
I support this

There's way too many niggers in the UK

Mumu......

[/quote]
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Namaster: 8:09am On Dec 05, 2023
The UK is in panic.

Their Prime Minister is Indian..The Mayor of London is a Pakistani. The British can feel the heat already. They are gradually being pushed aside in their own country. Their identity is being eroded.

They assumed the immigrants would be stuck doing the jobs that the slaves did before slavery was abolished. They didn't know immigrants have a long-term plan.

First generation could do care work. But second generation will be a f.ucking doctor. Third generation? He's going to be your Prime Minister. He will speak in a funny accent and you will pretend to like it.

Britain travelled to the outer reaches of the Earth to colonize places no one had heard about before and they felt like masters of the world. Now, immigrants from places no one has heard about before are coming into Britain and they panic.

It's hilarious.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by Raalsalghul: 9:11am On Dec 05, 2023
Namaster:
The UK is in panic.

Their Prime Minister is Indian..The Mayor of London is a Pakistani. The British can feel the heat already. They are gradually being pushed aside on their own country.

They assumed the immigrants would be stuck doing the jobs that the slaves did before slavery was abolished. They didn't know immigrants have a long-term plan.

First generation could do care work. But second generation will be a f.ucking doctor. Third generation? He's going to be your Prime Minister. He will speak in a funny accent and you will pretend to like it.

Britain travelled to the outer reaches of the Earth to colonize places no one had heard about before and they felt like masters of the world. Now, immigrants from places no one has heard about before are coming into Britain and they panic.

It's hilarious.

grin

Karma?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by lastkingsman: 9:19am On Dec 05, 2023
Gerrard59:

I recalled my dad gisting me about his village brother who relocated to Canada in 2015. The man closed down his businesses in Lagos and sold everything including the houses he owned there and in the village. He moved his wife and FIVE children to Canada. Then, less than 500 Nigerians had applied through EE, and he did not spend more than I think two million naira in processing everything.

He should have become a citizen by now. When I recall his case and how things be now, I smile.

So what's the way forward given that Ganduje (Gandollars) with Akpabio (pounds) are warming up to take over from Tinubu in 2031?

CC: ednut1

https://twitter.com/Imranmuhdz/status/1731767502269538453?t=i2QuccME4VN9ZLP3m6ZpmA&s=19
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by lastkingsman: 9:20am On Dec 05, 2023
Gerrard59:

Can you point me to these comments please?
Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by AntiNigerian: 9:45am On Dec 05, 2023
jkpbestseries:
one day developing countries will be developed and things will be alright
these developed countries won't let some developing countries have peace for once! If you're developed, where will they see the money that takes flight from your economies to theirs?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A New Five-point Plan To Reduce Immigration Has Been Announced By UK Government by AntiNigerian: 9:48am On Dec 05, 2023
Ronu has finally hit the British Isles! United Kingdom Ronu!😜😜🤪

(1) (Reply)

Hello Everyone I Have Just Been Invited For An Interview At The British High C / I Promised Now You Can Have It! / Sincere Advice Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.