Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

The English Language Is Racist! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The English Language Is Racist! (5046 Views)

What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? / Not Every Somali Is Racist. / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Njgirl1: 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2011
This thread is encouraging it shows we ve got lots of wise youths.
I was once watching one of the educational tv channels and a dinosaur fossil was dug up in an african country and guess what in the presence of citizens it was carried away by foreigners to a foriegn lab.
The most heartbreaking part of it is that the african country aint that rich and the foriegners will make lots of money with showing off that fossil in the museum.
We either unite and shun ethnocentrism or stay divided and be in water while soap makes mincemeat of our eyes
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 11:41pm On Nov 27, 2011
Nj girl:

This thread is encouraging it shows we ve got lots of wise youths.
I was once watching one of the educational tv channels and a dinosaur fossil was dug up in an african country and guess what in the presence of citizens it was carried away by foreigners to a foriegn lab.
The most heartbreaking part of it is that the african country aint that rich and the foriegners will make lots of money with showing off that fossil in the museum.
We either unite and shun ethnocentrism or stay divided and be in water while soap makes mincemeat of our eyes
They take our artifacts and make money off it. Look what they did to Benin, stole all the arts and now they display it in British museums. THey did that all over the world not just Africa though.

phreakabit:

Honestly I think it should start from the educational sector. There should be compulsory changes made in all books/publications with the word BLACK used[b] in reference[/b] to sub-Saharan Africans. I started hearing people refer to Sub-Saharan Africans as "black" right from primary school, so it some how got stuck in my consciousness. I think the easiest way to kill this BIG PROBLEM is starting from the schools.

BTW: The North Africans "call themselves" Mediterraneans! LOL. Also there is nothing wrong in speaking English. Africa has just too many languages to pick one . Besides you dont expect more than half of the entire continent to start learning a new language from scratch ?
It can be done. We need an African Renaissance.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Elgranespejo: 11:40am On Jun 22, 2012
If anyone here speaks Hausa they can affirm that Hausa treats white as good and black as bad as well.

Farin Jini- white blood -> popular

''Dan bak'i -> son of black -> bad person

So then I suppose Hausawa are racist too? Or..... It's just a linguistic quirk. I think the latter ~_~
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Elgranespejo: 11:45am On Jun 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
we cant include the arab areas though. i hate arabs. tongue
Racism.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Afam4eva(m): 11:20pm On Jun 23, 2012
@Igbo2010
Pls remove the Igbo from your name and replace it with Hausa ore swahilli because you'ree disgrace to Igboland. I've noticed the inferioreity complex you've been displaying by always suggesting that Hausa or Swahilli be made an official African language and not Igbo. The moment we get rid of your kind from Igboland, the better for us. Tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 6:11am On Sep 07, 2012
afam4eva: @Igbo2010
Pls remove the Igbo from your name and replace it with Hausa ore swahilli because you'ree disgrace to Igboland. I've noticed the inferioreity complex you've been displaying by always suggesting that Hausa or Swahilli be made an official African language and not Igbo. The moment we get rid of your kind from Igboland, the better for us. Tufiakwa.

CHEI Biko do you want to be exterminated?? Do you know that the CIA an other groups can read everything we are saying. They have to do more work reading Chinese and Arabic to understand them but we speak their language so it's easier. You want to FIGHT to speak English? Instead of speaking an AFRICAN language you want to speak your European colonial and slave master's language? I don't care about the African language we speak. I rather speak a small African language for all of Africa than English. We are making it easier for our oppressors. We need to speak an AFRICAN language to all unite. Not a European language to unite. Did China unite with English NO they unite with Mandarin. Why can't we be the same?
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Afam4eva(m): 8:36am On Sep 07, 2012
igbo2011:

CHEI Biko do you want to be exterminated?? Do you know that the CIA an other groups can read everything we are saying. They have to do more work reading Chinese and Arabic to understand them but we speak their language so it's easier. You want to FIGHT to speak English? Instead of speaking an AFRICAN language you want to speak your European colonial and slave master's language? I don't care about the African language we speak. I rather speak a small African language for all of Africa than English. We are making it easier for our oppressors. We need to speak an AFRICAN language to all unite. Not a European language to unite. Did China unite with English NO they unite with Mandarin. Why can't we be the same?
Why can't that African language be Igbo? Why must someone who has Igbo as his moniker be drumming support for another African language ahead of his own? What's my business with Swahili? I'd rather continue speaking English than switch to Another African language.

1 Like

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by ifyalways(f): 8:45am On Sep 07, 2012
^ ^ Afam bu Afam.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by free2ryhme: 8:50am On Sep 07, 2012
igbo2011: Think about it, whenever it is black or dark it is always bad. Black list, blac ball, black sheep, black out etc. Those are all bad things. Dark is always evil. The dark side (bad side),

Definition of black: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/black

5. Soiled, as from soot; dirty
6. Evil; wicked
7. Cheerless and depressing; gloomy
9. Marked by anger or sullenness
11. Deserving of, indicating, or incurring censure or dishonor

The only time black is good when its Black Friday. When you are in the black that means: On the credit side of a ledger; prosperous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of dark: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dark

6. Characterized by gloom; dismal

7. Sullen or threatening

10. Lacking enlightenment, knowledge, or culture

11. Exhibiting or stemming from evil characteristics or forces; sinister

in the dark
2. In a state of ignorance; uninformed

As long as we use black and dark to describe us this is bad for us. We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.

English is not racist but rather a Language of power. for those in the field of international relations it is known that the most powerful nation(s) language is the language of diplomacy.. e.g When Graeco-roman empire Greek was the language of the world. Under the Holy Roman Empire Latin was the language etc.. French was the language of the world from the 17th century until the mid-20th century. so my broda if you want your language to be a lingua franca it must be a language of power. I don't see the bush languages of africa ever getting there in the next 3 millions years
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Afam4eva(m): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2012
ifyalways: ^ ^ Afam bu Afam.
Some Igbos annoy me with the way they reason. Even tribes with less than a millions speakers are pushing their language to be made an official language and that guy is telling us to adopt swahili so that Igbo will further get close to extinction as that will be the fourth language for many Igbos afer Swahili, English, and Pidgin English. One Igbo 1diot for even recommending hausa to be our official language. Is it only in Igboland we have 1diots? Why must we advertise our own for the whole world to see.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by solomon111(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2012
afam4eva:
Some Igbos annoy me with the way they reason. Even tribes with less than a millions speakers are pushing their language to be made an official language and that guy is telling us to adopt swahili so that Igbo will further get close to extinction as that will be the fourth language for many Igbos afer Swahili, English, and Pidgin English. One Igbo 1diot for even recommending hausa to be our official language. Is it only in Igboland we have 1diots? Why must we advertise our own for the whole world to see.
lmao.
Take it easy,man.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2012
afam4eva:
Why can't that African language be Igbo? Why must someone who has Igbo as his moniker be drumming support for another African language ahead of his own? What's my business with Swahili? I'd rather continue speaking English than switch to Another African language.
As I said I don't care what language it is. Igbo yoruba swahili hausa amaharric etcc. As long as its african I rather we all speak that. I chose kiswahili because in tanzania they have a set language and a set language. They even write to. They just adopted the english writing letters. When you are at war with people it is better to not speak their language so you can protect yourself linguistically.

Don't get me wrong I lve being Igbo. I love our history culture our dancing. I do igbo war dancing. U go to igbo cultural events. I get very empowered when learning about the biafran war when the whole worl was against us and our engineers were doing amazing things protecting my family. If it wasn't for their hard work I might not be here now. If it wasn't for america and britain supplying nigeria we might have won. But I am a pan affricanist so I believe all of us African need to unite. One language. Cenntral bank, monetary fund and currency.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 07, 2012
igbo2011:

You make a lot of sense. As much as Igbo fanatics wants Igbo to be Africa's official language, you have to work toward it through diplomacy, technology,education and so on.

As at today, there are many swahili speakers to Igbo. Anyone who understands Hausa, would know that it is heavily influenced by Arabic. So, Hausa is out of the question.

kenya, whose official language is swahili is a leader in mobile web application development in Africa, tourism industry amongst others. The internet as a medium would dictate the language that will dominate in time to come by the number of start ups, sophisticated and useful software produced by any region....

Adopting swahili will unify Africa. One of the most popular african songs were written in swahili. The movie, Mighty Joe young soundtrack is swahili, etc. Whites and others are damn eager to learn swahili. David Mackenzie of CNN, anytime he is covering East Africa likes to ask the populace questions in Swahili despite the fact that East Africans speak better English than us. They are so proud of speaking swahili and representing Africa on screen. Heck even the popular Content Management System named Joomla invented by whites was given a swahilian name which means together. It will not make us abandon our native tongues. It is left for you as a parent and community to also teach your children their native tongue. If we could speak English and retain our native tongue, while can't we do the same for a unified African language?

Unity is more powerful than superiority.

Phuck , i will learn Swahili next.

1 Like

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Ptolomeus(m): 4:34pm On Sep 07, 2012
Opens a thread to discuss the English language (and the racist nature of the English), and the only thing we read here is tribal differences.
Welcome to Africa.
My respects to all.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Afam4eva(m): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2012
Olodostein:

You make a lot of sense. As much as Igbo fanatics wants Igbo to be Africa's official language, you have to work toward it through diplomacy, technology,education and so on.

As at today, there are many swahili speakers to Igbo. Anyone who understands Hausa, would know that it is heavily influenced by Arabic. So, Hausa is out of the question.

kenya, whose official language is swahili is a leader in mobile web application development in Africa, tourism industry amongst others. The internet as a medium would dictate the language that will dominate in time to come by the number of start ups, sophisticated and useful software produced by any region....

Adopting swahili will unify Africa. One of the most popular african songs were written in swahili. The movie, Mighty Joe young soundtrack is swahili, etc. Whites and others are damn eager to learn swahili. David Mackenzie of CNN, anytime he is covering East Africa likes to ask the populace questions in Swahili despite the fact that East Africans speak better English than us. They are so proud of speaking swahili and representing Africa on screen. Heck even the popular Content Management System named Joomla invented by whites was given a swahilian name which means together. It will not make us abandon our native tongues. It is left for you as a parent and community to also teach your children their native tongue. If we could speak English and retain our native tongue, while can't we do the same for a unified African language?

If Swahili ends up becoming Africa's language then it's their business but know one should give up without a fight. You don't just hand it to them on a silver platter. I also want my language to become the official language of Africa and i don't care what swahili brings to the table. If for any reason, i'll have to leave English then it's Igbo or nothing. God punish Swahili.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 07, 2012
Olodostein:

I agree 100%.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by tearjerker: 7:39am On Sep 09, 2012
igbo2011: Think about it, whenever it is black or dark it is always bad. Black list, blac ball, black sheep, black out etc. Those are all bad things. Dark is always evil. The dark side (bad side),

6. Evil; wicked

The only time black is good when its Black Friday. When you are in the black that means: On the credit side of a ledger; prosperous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sullen or threatening

in the dark

As long as we use black and dark to describe us this is bad for us. We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.

I totaly agree with you! I'm AA and this subject was covered by Macolm X and MLK before they were assassinated. It's obvious that when you reveal the truth, you become a threat to "their (European)" ideals and way of life. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suw_CQ3zfTY

Dr. MLK speaks about the word black and the word white in the English dictionary towards the end of the video.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by emeka020: 11:33pm On Aug 06, 2013
I fully agree with OP igbo2011. The english language is colour-coded in favour of the caucasian. It is indeed a language seeded with racist overtones.
We definitely need to get rid of English language on the continent in favour of an indigenous language - and I DON'T mean Arabic, cos that's not indigenous.
Swahili and Hausa are my top favourites purely based on the relatively-high percentage of speakers.
The one we pick should be the MOST DEVELOPED language, capable of the deepest and most complex linguistic expressions.
I am presently not fluent in either language, so cannot make any judgements on this.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
Actually the English Language was using these kind of BLACK TERMS long before Europeans had any real contact with Africans. Also the term BLACK is the incorrect term to refer to people of African descent. Historically Africans have never referred to themselves as BLACK, but rather the names of their tribes and peoples. BLACK was a term coined by Europeans who could not distinguish the differences between African Peoples.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
emeka_020: I fully agree with OP igbo2011. The english language is colour-coded in favour of the caucasian. It is indeed a language seeded with racist overtones.
We definitely need to get rid of English language on the continent in favour of an indigenous language - and I DON'T mean Arabic, cos that's not indigenous.
Swahili and Hausa are my top favourites purely based on the relatively-high percentage of speakers.
The one we pick should be the MOST DEVELOPED language, capable of the deepest and most complex linguistic expressions.
I am presently not fluent in either language, so cannot make any judgements on this.

Swahili is also derived from Arabic.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

Swahili is also derived from Arabic.

No its NOT. Its mainly Bantu with SOME Arabic words due to trading with Arabs.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 7:53pm On Aug 08, 2013
KidStranglehold:

No its NOT. Its mainly Bantu with SOME Arabic words due to trading with Arabs.

I'd prefer to keep away from anything with even a hint of Arabic. No one hates blacks more than Arabs!!
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

I'd prefer to keep away from anything with even a hint of Arabic. No one hates blacks more than Arabs!!

Just saying, the Swahili language is not Arabic and certainly did not derived from Arabic. The Swahili people have been trading with different people like the Romans and even Greeks well before the arrival of Arabs and Islam.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1924318.stm
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 8:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Just saying, the Swahili language is not Arabic and certainly did not derived from Arabic. The Swahili people have been trading with different people like the Romans and even Greeks well before the arrival of Arabs and Islam.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1924318.stm

There is a link with Arabic this cannot be denied.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

There is a link with Arabic this cannot be denied.

Stop trying to implement Arabic into Swahili. The Swahili people already had enough with Arabs and Europeans taking away their history and heritage they do not need people doing any further damage. Yes there are SOME Arabic words, but again Swahili is a Bantu language as a whole.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Stop trying to implement Arabic into Swahili. The Swahili people already had enough with Arabs and Europeans taking away their history and heritage they do not need people doing any further damage. Yes there are SOME Arabic words, but again Swahili is a Bantu language as a whole.

I do not need to implement anything. It was done lone ago before I was born. Whenever an invader comes his language influences those that are invaded. Or are you saying that this didn't happen??
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

I do not need to implement anything. It was done lone ago before I was born. Whenever an invader comes his language influences those that are invaded. Or are you saying that this didn't happen??

Again Swahili is a BANTU REPEAT BANTU LANGUAGE. Get over it.

And Arabs did not invade the Swahili coast. The Portuguese did. Arabs intermarried. Arabs only took control when the British gave the Sultan of Oman control over Zanzibar and that is where the confusion started.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Jayvarley(m): 8:48pm On Aug 08, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Again Swahili is a BANTU REPEAT BANTU LANGUAGE. Get over it.

And Arabs did not invade the Swahili coast. The Portuguese did. Arabs intermarried. Arabs only took control when the British gave the Sultan of Oman control over Zanzibar and that is where the confusion started.

I did not say Swahili is NOT BANTU If YOU FOLLOW, I just said there is a link. ARABS have been taking Africans as slaves LONG before the Europeans! Anyway there is there is nothing left to discuss. Peace
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

I did not say Swahili is NOT BANTU If YOU FOLLOW, I just said there is a link. ARABS have been taking Africans as slaves LONG before the Europeans! Anyway there is there is nothing left to discuss. Peace

you are both correct.
Swahili is arab and bantu mixed.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by somalia11: 7:03am On Aug 09, 2013

6. Evil; wicked

7. Sullen or threatening

in the dark

and when ethiopians and somalis and dominicans choose to be called by their ethnicities blacks are the forst to get mad.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's / Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas / Arewacin Maza Da Mata

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.