Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? (3901 Views)

So Sad Dominion Farms Cut Their Deal With Nigeria / Youth Employment In Agriculture Programme (YEAP) / How I Became Very Comfortable Investing Into Agriculture within 4months!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by igbo2011(m): 5:57pm On Oct 31, 2011
86% of the land in Nigeria is for agriculture (http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=life+expectancy+in+the+world#ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ag_lnd_agri_zs&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:BFA:BWA:NGA&ifdim=country&tdim=true&hl=en&dl=en)#

How is it that any Nigerian is starving?  We have enough farm land to feed all our people and export the rest around the world.  Why do we import so much food with all this land?  Is it due to our technology?  Do we not have nenough tractors or farm tools?  Are our agricultural policies not benefitting us?  What is wrong??
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 31, 2011
A lot of Nigerians wants to do office work. No one wants to get dirty. Government is not helping matters either. Lack of finance and machinery. New skills have to be taught. In fact, I plan on investing in the Agricultural sector. I hope houses are not built on all the lands before then.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by page9(m): 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2011
There are 4 reasons I can adduce for this.
1,  Corruption
2,  Visionless leadership. ( Who cannot see beyond Crude oil proceeds)
3, Poor govt policies on agric, lack of enabling environment etc
When we have good and selfless leaders at all levels of govt, perhaps things will change for the better
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by Tayeni(m): 10:07pm On Nov 01, 2011
the problems are legion. but the one that readily comes to mind is the lack of processing technology.every thing is taken or sold[exported] in the raw form.which we later import after being processed by other coountries.we import them at sky high prices.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by adelegan1: 11:43am On Nov 03, 2011
Please do not invest in agriculture in nigeria. If you do you will cry. I have been an industrial farmer for the past seven years
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by igbo2011(m): 11:57am On Nov 03, 2011
adelegan1:

Please do not invest in agriculture in nigeria. If you do you will cry. I have been an industrial farmer for the past seven years

What happened? Tell me your story?
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by RDbusiness(m): 12:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
agricultural sector is a very promisin sector with almost 40-80% return profit. Nigeria is bless with good land 4 farmin and other agricultural activities but a personal responsibility is need we dnt ve to wait on government people are makin millions yearly in fishing, raisin bird, raisin cattle even exportin farm product. All you need is a comprehensive knowledge about your area of intesest. Courage and effort are nothin without purpose and direction.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by adelegan1: 12:32pm On Nov 03, 2011
@RDbusiness , Pleas have you seen anybody that make million in nigeria agriculture it is a very big lie. the people that are into agriculture are only doing it fun and most of them are retired nigeria politician.

Alot of fish farmer are running away from the business. Im a arable crop farmer and i have been farming 50 hectares of land with poultry and fish farming.

The main problem of agriculture in nigeria is labour and not really finance.

Agriculture can on profitable if only farmer have the approriate technology

Tell northern nigeria is the only region of the country that can farm because they have cheap labour.

Please i beg you dont invest in agriculture if you do you will cry and loose money.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by adelegan1: 1:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
Farmers suffer alot after planting and harvesting cassava take the cassave to processing company and they buy one tonne for 7000 Naira only.

The average cost of leasing one hectare of land is 10,000 naira, tractor for ploughing,4000 naira,arrrow 3000 naira, ridges 4000 naira, herbercide 2500 naira, stem for planting 40,000 naira, diseal 7500 naira, Tractor men 6000 naira,fertilizer 10,000 naira

cost of labour
6000, for aplying fertilizer
6000 naira to plant 1 hectare
6000 naira to apply herbide
30,000 naira for harvesting
30,000 naira cost of transportation factory
10,000 miscellaneous expenses

Lets add up the cost of production and see if it is profitable.

10000+4000+3000+4000+2500+40,000+7500+6000+10,000+6000+6000+6000+30,000+10,000==175,000 naira

The best average yield expected is between 15 to 25 tonne. Bumper harvest 30 tonnes . After 9 month

cost of production =175,000 naira

sale of cassava= 7000 x25= 175,000 naira

My friend you you can only make little or no profit.

1 Like

Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by igbo2011(m): 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2011
@adelegan1
How much of a farmer subsidy would you need to be a profitable farmer?
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by Ltrust(m): 5:14pm On Nov 08, 2011
Basically, I am into the exportation of agro-product such as ginger,garlic,sesame seed etc b/c the demand for these agro products by foreigners is huge. It can employ more Nigerians/07033097160.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by Thethy(m): 7:47pm On Nov 08, 2011
To succeed in Agriculture in Nigeria is not easy, but you can still make it if you are smart. You maight need to integrate different farming activities together, e.g snail farming, grasscutter farming, maize and cassava plantation, beekeeping, tree crops etc. For more detail talk to us @ THE THY AGRO-ALLIED ENTERPRISES, Tel: 08023050835 , 07033632285.

Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by adelegan1: 9:21pm On Nov 08, 2011
Only with appropriate technology that will reduce the cost of labour will agriculture become profitable. It is expensive for farmers in nigeria to get the appropriate technology.
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by billyG(m): 5:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
The problem Militating agst agricultural with we study in our secondary school are still there in fact more has been added.In this Hitech world our farmers are still tilling the soil with rudimentry implements known as hoe & cutlass.
                             To get Ferterlizers is another ball game,no loan to farmer imagine 11 farmers grouped to collect #100,000 loan and each part with #10000 bribe to get loan form approved then co-op banks said they dont have enough fund ,considered the fallen prices of farm produce which rise & fall like stocks,dont forget the obj deception that cassava will sell like hot cake  that we cannot meet china's demand ,lack of storage & processing facilities every season tomatoes , plantains,yams,beans,,mangoes,vegetables waste away for nothing,low price of farm produce during harvest season, or think about the damage pests and diseases does to seeds,crops before and after harvest. The long wait by farmers b4 they harvest thier crops-yams- 6 mnths,cassava 1yr,maize 4 months, have you forgotten the Birth flu menace poultry farmers knows best some are still waiting 4 compensation.
                There is high overhead cost- grass cutting,buying seeds,ferterlisers,weedingchemicals,transportaion,hiring labourers.the is lack of farm machines-find out the cost of garri,Rice or palm oil processing machines it is quoted in millions. One State Govt. Bought only 20 Tractors for his entire state!For now is difficult to practice commercial agricultre in naija only susistence i,e for family consumption writing about the problem of agric will take several pages let me stop 4 now. lipsrsealed
Re: What is Wrong With Nigeria's Agriculture Industry? by igbo2011(m): 5:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Why doesn't the government subsidizze the farmers? Give them N10,000 or N20,000 a month. Then they also get what they produce. This will make sure they are paid well so they can overproduce and export. This will create foreign revenue also create jobs.

(1) (Reply)

Snail Eggs In My Pen, How Long Does Snail Eggs Stay Before Hatching? / How Can I Invest In Garri Business / Nigeria’s Fertilizer Consumption Rose By 63% In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.