Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective (13652 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / 10 Million Naira To Japa Or Business In Nigeria / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by OmoGomesIlorin: 9:44pm On Dec 10, 2023
Reconsidering the Call to Japa: A Counter Perspective
Rejoinder to 11 Reasons Why You Must Japa From Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/7936687/11-reasons-why-must-japa#127418405

The recent post enumerating 11 reasons to encourage individuals to "Japa" from Nigeria presents a one-sided view of the situation. While acknowledging the challenges facing the nation, it is essential to consider a more balanced perspective before making such a life-altering decision. Below are my counterarguments to the points presented:

1. Diverse Futures in Nigeria:
The assertion that the future in Nigeria is uniformly bleak oversimplifies the complexity of the nation. Nigeria has a diverse and growing economy, with numerous success stories in various sectors. By actively participating in and contributing to the local economy, individuals can positively impact their own and their families' futures.

2. Access to Quality Life in Nigeria:
Nigeria does face challenges, but it also offers opportunities for a quality life. Investments in education, healthcare, and security are underway, and many individuals are successfully navigating these systems. Emigrating is not the only path to a fulfilling life.

3. Poverty Beyond Borders:
Generalizing that everyone who leaves Nigeria escapes poverty oversimplifies the multifaceted nature of economic challenges. Many Nigerians living abroad face their own financial struggles, and success is not guaranteed solely by leaving the country.

4. Life and Spiritual Fulfillment:
Suggesting that all life and spiritual problems end upon leaving Nigeria oversimplifies the human experience. People's beliefs and challenges vary, and attributing them solely to nationality is reductionist.

5. Prosperity Through Hard Work:
Success is not exclusive to geographical location. Hard work can lead to prosperity in any part of the world. Painting Nigeria as a place where success is only luck undermines the efforts of many hardworking individuals in the country.

6. Japa as Paradise:
Romanticizing emigration as paradise oversimplifies the challenges faced by immigrants in adapting to new environments. Success abroad often requires significant effort, resilience, and adaptation.

7. Trending vs. Critical Decision:
Making life-altering decisions based on trends may not be the most prudent approach. Trends are transient, and considering individual circumstances and goals is crucial in making such a significant decision.

8. Individual Paths and Success:
Labeling those who stay in Nigeria as failures oversimplifies success and happiness. Many individuals find fulfillment and success by contributing to the development of their home country.

9. Due Diligence and Informed Choices:
Ignoring due diligence when deciding to emigrate is risky. Thorough research and understanding of the destination country are essential to make informed decisions that align with personal goals and values.

10. Remaining Population in Nigeria:
Exaggerating the number of people who have emigrated may not accurately represent the current situation. Many Nigerians choose to stay and contribute positively to the nation's growth.

11. Life Expectancy and Mortality Rates:
Associating life expectancy solely with geographical location oversimplifies the factors influencing mortality rates. Health, lifestyle, and access to healthcare are significant contributors that vary globally. There locals who still live above 80 years.

In conclusion, the decision to emigrate is deeply personal and should be based on a comprehensive understanding of individual goals, circumstances, and the evolving landscape of the home country. Painting an entire nation with a broad brush may not capture the diverse experiences and opportunities available within it.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Oblongata: 10:19pm On Dec 10, 2023
In 2008, I japaad for masters in Uk. On completion I had the same motivation and perspective of the Op so I 'Japaadad' to Naija. Omo, I see pepper. I thank God I retraced my steps. Please the truth is that Japaa if you have the means.

113 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by pansophist(m): 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2023
Dead on arrival lol.

14 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by ednut1(m): 10:43pm On Dec 10, 2023
Quality life How. Which elite uses the healthcare in Nigeria See as mr ibu and co were begging for donations for treatment. Does the common man have such leverage.

Europe has banned many of our foodstuffs from import because they found high levels of pesticides. Snipper is being used to preserve things like beans. Yet you say quality life. Abeg get out🤣

41 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by lastkingsman: 11:11pm On Dec 10, 2023
$1 = N1,200

By the time the Jagabani of borgu kingdom is done and hands over to Ganduje Gandollars, naira will be consigned to the dustbin of failed fiat currencies grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by finallybusy: 2:26am On Dec 11, 2023
Time plenty.

1 Like

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by CHRISTFUCKER: 12:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
I don't mind being a slave in the west than being in a shit hole

6 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:50am On Jan 16
No matter what you say, it can never discourage a serious young youth who want to japa

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by KellyFORMAT(m): 11:51am On Jan 16
JAPA IS THE WAY FORWARD, IMAGINE PUTTING YOUR HARDWORK AND SWEAT, IN A PLACE WITH ENABLING ENVIRONMENT

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by yesloaded: 11:51am On Jan 16
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Akpaamunsi: 11:51am On Jan 16
This topic done tire me abeg undecided

11 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by munavi: 11:51am On Jan 16
CHRISTFUCKER:
I don't mind being a slave in the west than being in a shit hole
How about you being a king in that "shit hole?" Is that out of your reach?

4 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by datola: 11:51am On Jan 16
Still on this Japa thing
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Omniman(m): 11:52am On Jan 16
grin

Japa if you can…

3 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Angelfrost(m): 11:52am On Jan 16
This is a new year, yet you Japa and Anti-Japa advocates still don't want to rest.

This level of joblessness and misplaced priority is beyond me.

Well, you guys should keep wasting your time on this nonsense back and forth.

You travel out or you don't travel out, success or failure awaits you depending on your key life choices... Simple!!!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by saudatu(m): 11:52am On Jan 16
I'm confused
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by dexterinc2003: 11:52am On Jan 16
Truths about Japa.

1. You will need some time to make it over there. Averagely 2 to 3 years before you likely get a balance. Had a friend who ran back because he couldn't cope with the hard work. 3 months later, Nigeria reset his brain.

2. 'Making it' means lots of hours at work. If you are lazy, you won't make it over there, if you are hard-working, expect great financial returns. I don't think being hard-working equates to good financial returns in Nigeria.

3. Say goodbye to delayed salaries,workplace bullying, unnecessary insecurity, man-made suffering.

4. Saving is harder as there will be more expectations from Friends and family. Especially the ones posting anti-japa msgs. But it can be done if you stay focused.

5. There is going to be a tendency to be less religious as poverty has not be been weaponised over there.

6. Japa is not for everyone and also not for every career.

NB: I'm strictly talking about the Top 7 western countries.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by nextBIGthing: 11:52am On Jan 16
Do what you have to do

main thing is to pray and seek God face is every step you want to take

there are rich and poor people abroad ...just the same way there are rich and poor people in Nigeria
everyone destiny is different. Some will make it there and some will make it here

no one should be discouraged about their life decision

4 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by victorDanladi: 11:52am On Jan 16
lastkingsman:
$1 = N1,200

By the time the Jagabani of borgu kingdom is done and hands over to Ganduje Gandollars, naira will be consigned to the dustbin of failed fiat currencies grin

3 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by BigDawsNet: 11:53am On Jan 16
Japa if you can...
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by ScamDemicEra: 11:53am On Jan 16
Mat 10:23  When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.(ESV)

...... may OLODUMARE hasten the expiry date.

3 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by MajorOvakporaye(f): 11:53am On Jan 16
Another paid agent by the useless government is here to deceive young Nigerians. If you have the means to leave this shithole, don't hesitate.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by BoldBrainz(m): 11:54am On Jan 16
Lol.
I'll come back for this thread.
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by SmartPolician: 11:55am On Jan 16
cheesy
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Crime007: 11:55am On Jan 16
🫤🫤🫤
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by thesicilian: 11:56am On Jan 16
Seems of recent the japa momentum is diminishing gradually

7 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Offpoint1: 11:57am On Jan 16
xz
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by ecolime(m): 11:58am On Jan 16
thesicilian:
It's much harder to Japa now due to poor exchange rate. Restriction of dependent visa is another issue.

11 Likes

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 11:58am On Jan 16
Sto'playing

No matter the lenght of the epistles you guys keep writing about this, una no fit convince me.
Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by Lemos14: 11:59am On Jan 16
thesicilian:

Which diminishing? Deceive yourself alone in your room please. You can't cover up reality

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reconsidering The Call To Japa: A Counter Perspective by healthkknatural: 12:00pm On Jan 16
If you can Jaapa ..Pls.Do ASAP.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First International Flight Set To Be Receved At Kaduna Airport This Morning.PICS / Vulture Stalking Baby / Nigeria Air: FG Suspends National Carrier Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.