Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,175 members, 7,829,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday (25051 Views)

Critics' Choice Awards 2021: Chadwick Boseman Gets Second Posthumous Award / Google Celebrate Amaka Igwe 57 Posthumous Birthday / Yemi Alade Show It All At Glo Mega Music Tour Lekki: 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by naptu2: 12:16am On Dec 14, 2023
Art Alade's performance of Sisi Jowo on the Bala Miller Show in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZMEEUkYaE?si=w7pOKWSJ6r0e5BjV

Modupe Afolabi Jemi-Alade (December 14, 1937 - June 29, 1993) popularly known as Art Alade was a Nigerian television personality and producer who was the host of The Bar Beach Show a weekly variety show on NBC-TV that aired during the 1970s. He retired from NTA in 1979 as acting Director of Programmes.

After he left NTA, he embarked on a career in music and established a club, Art's Place, where he performed regularly.

Life

Alade was born on December 14, 1937 to the family of Babatunde and Abiodun Jemi-Alade, his father Babatunde Jemi Alade who was the first Yagba man to become a Principal Custom's officer in Lagos in the early 1929s and his mother taught music at a girl's only school, she was a granddaughter of Mohammed Shitta Bey. He was married to Olapeju Olufunmilayo Cole and they had 5 children.

Alade graduated from C.M.S. Grammar School, Lagos and then travelled abroad to attend Devon Technical College and London School of Television Production in the U.K.. Alade began his career as a musician on a cruise line, the Greek Line. By 1964, on his return from U.K., he joined the staff of Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation now known as NTA.

He compered the hugely popular 'Bar Beach Show' and hosted the 'Art Alade Show'- the first Variety Show on Network TV in Africa. In 1979 he established 'Arts Place' an entertainment centre comprising a night club, restaurant and art gallery.

Alade was appointed acting director of Programmes in 1978 and retired a year later.

He is the father of Nigerian multi-platinum selling and award-winning musician, singer-songwriter, and Idol series judge popularly called Darey.

He died on 29 June 1993 at the age of 55

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Alade

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by naptu2: 12:16am On Dec 14, 2023
Full interview and performance of Art Alade on the Bala Miller Show in 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jsWnOSGgsI?si=xSS71vVZ6VyZrYhN

Bala Miller: Ladies and gentlemen, you are welcome to the programme.

I promised you that on this programme we’ll try to give you nothing but the best, you deserve it, and today I’ve got a special guest for this programme. A chap who has made name and impact in the music industry, in entertainment. For many many years his name and show was a household word. Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming the illustrious son of Nigerian music, the one and only Art Alade.

You are welcome to the programme.

Art Alade: After all that beautiful opening, you know, you give me a big head, you know.

Bala Miller: No, this is just a matter of facts. You cannot hide the facts.

Art Alade: Thank you.

Bala Miller: You attended the CMS Grammar School. . .

Art Alade: Where you were too. You were my senior at school.

Bala Miller: I was there. . .

And at the age of about ten you were playing the piano for the school.

Art Alade: Yes

Bala Miller: Now, we left about five years before you, tell me what you’ve been doing in the music scene until you came back.

Art Alade: Bala, I went to England in ’56, you know. I didn’t do my school cert, my father thought I was. . .I was a dullard you see grin , so he thought I might be saved if I was sent abroad, so I went abroad. And I eventually did music.

When I qualified I spent two years at sea learning the trade, playing in a band.

Unfortunately, we don’t have these things here where you go on a cruise. In the Western World they do know how to relax, you know and music, as you know, plays a very important part in relaxation. Very important part. This is why artistes are well paid abroad.

Then I spent quite a few years in the different clubs in London and on the continent trying to gain experience.

I came home in the early ‘60s, I joined television in ’64. I joined the then Nigerian Television Service January ’64 and I stayed for 16 years. Until I thought that I was getting too old for it. grin

Bala Miller: No Art. Now, I knew you sang in the church, has that got any influence on you?

Art Alade: Well there’s no doubt. We were very lucky in the early days, you know. I always tell people that I was very lucky, in the sense that I went, when I was very young, to the Cathedral Church of Christ, Lagos and I was very opportuned to have gone through the hands of Dr TK Philips, undoubtedly one of Nigeria’s finest musicians. He taught us the correct way.

I remember when we were very young, when we sang in the choir, if you didn’t open your mouth to sing, he had a long stick, egba, to fi na eyan, you use it here in Kaduna, don’t you? He used to put that in our mouth to make sure you did an O, to sing out, so you can hear the words.

But now the boys they oinoinoin, that’s what they do now, but in those days we were really taught how to sing and I’m really grateful for that.

Bala Miller: I have noticed that in this country many, or some universities are offering degrees in music and it doesn’t appear that music is being taught in the elementary schools and secondary schools as was done in our days. Do you think that is proper?

Art Alade: It’s rather unfortunate, Bala. I have always said this over the years that it is a pity that it was discarded with. In the days gone by, you were taught music, it was part of the curriculum, you know, but I don’t know what’s gone wrong. The universities are doing it, but, let’s face it, not all of us can go to university. Those who are not made of that stuff should be able to learn, at least when they are at school, about music and I sincerely pray that it will be reinstated. I sincerely hope so.

Bala Miller: Let’s hope so.

Well, to prove to people what it is all about, I’d like you to join the band in doing one or two numbers, so that they’ll see what it is all about.

Art Alade: The Pirameeds? Your band?

Bala Miller: My band.

Art Alade: I’ll tell you one thing. I had the privilege of doing one or two things with you when Manu Dibango came to Nigeria not too long ago and I must say this to you. . and I want people to know that (he points at the camera) Aha, you are watching! This man is really a genius.

Bala, you’ve got it, your boys have got it, it’ll be my pleasure.

Bala Miller: Thank you. Ladies and gentlemen, please join us as we go to the stage with Art Alade.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by naptu2: 12:16am On Dec 14, 2023
Memories.

Getting back from church on a Sunday morning. The house is filled with the aroma of delicious food and people are playing football (and sometimes rugby) outside. Sit down to eat breakfast while watching the Art Alade Show.

(It was previously shown at night, I think at 10pm, but I can’t remember what day of the week that was).

27 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by naptu2: 12:18am On Dec 14, 2023
naptu2:
Live performances.

The NTA showed a lot of variety shows in the 1970s and 1980s and many highlife artistes performed on these shows. Some of these shows were hosted by the highlife artistes, while others, like Bandstand, featured a different artiste every week. I am now going to post videos of these artistes performing on those shows.

naptu2:
The Bala Miller Show (8pm NTA Network)

The Art Alade Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

The YomYem Show (Sunday mornings, NTA Channel 10).

I've searched all over YouTube, but there isn't a single video of Art Alade. I've posted lots of videos of the Bala Miller Show, so today I'll post a YomYem video (well, it's actually just the audio).

This isn't a video of his show. It's actually one of his songs that he sang long before he started his show.

YomYem - Power To The People.

naptu2:
The Bala Miller Show (8pm, I can't remember what day).

The Art Alade Show (9 or 10am on Sundays)

The Yom-Yem Show (9 or 10am on Sundays)

The Bobby Benson Show (Saturday afternoons)

Princess Afi Ukwua Show (8pm, I can't remember what day)

The Stephen Osita Osadebe Show (can't remember what day or time)

naptu2:

I wrote the list above from memory, but as you can see from the album sleeve below, her name is actually Afi Usuah.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Godjone(m): 5:22am On Dec 14, 2023
Wow ! Was thinking they are kaba from kogi state

3 Likes

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Hillarie(m): 5:23am On Dec 14, 2023
Like a wise Faze once said, "una go hala my name one day o."

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 5:29am On Dec 14, 2023
When music was meaningful

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Pizzy01(m): 5:32am On Dec 14, 2023
Nice one
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by NightCyrax: 5:35am On Dec 14, 2023
Amazing!

I used to think Sir Victor Olaiya is the composer of Sisi Jowo, I didn't know it was Art Alade's. Beautiful music there... may his soul continue to rest in peace.

35 Likes

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by iamoyindamola(m): 5:35am On Dec 14, 2023
The resemblance is there

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by AbuTwins: 5:35am On Dec 14, 2023
Posthumous birthday!

lipsrsealed
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by kiddkash(m): 5:41am On Dec 14, 2023
Seems talent runs in the family

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by eepeepook: 5:42am On Dec 14, 2023
Okay. Focus on the living.
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Xwizard: 5:43am On Dec 14, 2023
Para Dey this morning oooo but hold on sha

7months old active husky for a new home
Asking price 350k

1 Like

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by solsticey2k3(m): 5:44am On Dec 14, 2023
Greatness beget Greatness!

Continue to RIP sir

4 Likes

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by NightCyrax: 5:45am On Dec 14, 2023
kiddkash:
Any relation to darey?

He is Darey's father.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Bacteria8: 5:46am On Dec 14, 2023
I wasn't alive during his time.

But I'm glad I was alive during his son Darey Art Alade time.

I'm just hearing about this man for the first time.

Rest well in the Lord sir.

You gave us a wonderful son...who has continued to give us a wonderful music. Thank you sir.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by naptu2: 5:51am On Dec 14, 2023
NightCyrax:
Amazing!

I used to think Sir Victor Olaiya is the composer of Sisi Jowo, I didn't know it was Art Alade's. Beautiful music there... may his soul continue to rest in peace.

Dr Victor Olaiya originally sang Baby Jowo and it has been covered many times by many musicians. Art Alade's version is called Sisi Jowo.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by NaijaCover(m): 5:53am On Dec 14, 2023
Enjoy
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by NFBI: 5:53am On Dec 14, 2023
I think say na Dare art alade
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by Femisol(m): 5:54am On Dec 14, 2023
The days when transportation, food, schooling and entertainment was organic and price friendly

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by ellizy(m): 5:57am On Dec 14, 2023
I thought Dr Victor Olaiya was the composer of of "sister jowo"

3 Likes

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by bassdow: 5:57am On Dec 14, 2023
Musicians that knew how to PLAY Musical Instruments. Not the NOISY types of our generation that relies on computer tunes

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by bassdow: 5:57am On Dec 14, 2023
h
Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by inoki247: 5:58am On Dec 14, 2023
Darey sef no small he dey run m for us...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by bassdow: 6:00am On Dec 14, 2023
naptu2:
Memories.

Getting back from church on a Sunday morning. The house is filled with the aroma of delicious food and people are playing football (and sometimes rugby) outside. Sit down to eat breakfast while watching the Art Alade Show.

(It was previously shown at night, I think at 10pm, but I can’t remember what day of the week that was).

Days when Sunday Rice get special Taste and Meaning.

Wonder why they make us go to church service those days on EMPTY stomach

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:01am On Dec 14, 2023
kiddkash:
Any relation to darey?
Did you even read that post?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by bassdow: 6:02am On Dec 14, 2023
RainMoreDFARMS:
When music was meaningful
...and LESS NOISY

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by bassdow: 6:03am On Dec 14, 2023
Xwizard:
Para Dey this morning oooo but hold on sha

7months old active husky for a new home
Asking price 350k
TELLing price 50,000 naira

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Art Alade's 86th Posthumous Birthday by VinnyBaba: 6:03am On Dec 14, 2023
I dont know him.😕

I only know of Dare Art Alade, who sang Carry dey go ft Tuface.😊😊

Does this make me part of Indomie generation?
Or Kulikuli and Garri generation? 🤨🤨😒😒

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest / Profile Of Chichi, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate / BBNaija: Housemates Nominated For Possible Eviction On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.