Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook (9496 Views)

Liberty Reserve Shut-down? Owner Arrested? / Obama Seeks Power To Shut Down The Internet*HOAX* / How To Shut Down A Computer Forever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 02, 2011
Members of an internet group known as Anonymous have threatened to shut down Facebook on November 5.

The Anonymous group is a loosely organised alliance of hackers from around the world.

Locally, they have been attributed to crashing the Australian government website in February 2010 in a protest against Senator Stephen Conroy's quest to pass internet filtering laws.

In a YouTube video from July, and now disabled, Anonymous related hackers announced their proposed attack on the social networking site for November 5 saying, "Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world."

They then vow to, "kill Facebook."

Anonymous has officially distanced itself from the Facebook threat and deny the claim they are orchestrating the attack, they say hackers associated with the group are pursuing it.

The November 5 date was reportedly chosen because it is also Guy Fawkes Day, the day that marks a man's attempt to blow up the British House of Parliament in 1605.

Anonymous unofficially uses Guy Fawkes as a anti-heroism as a symbolic mascot, by wearing the Guy Fawkes mask used in Alan Moore's graphic novel V for Vendetta.

In Moore's story, the mask is worn by a lone freedom fighter against government iniquity.

A member of Queensland police says he would consider the threat seriously, 7News reports.

Brian Hay from Queensland's fraud squad says that he believes hackers of this kind don't make baseless threats.

"I'd imagine they've gone in – they've defeated the security system, they've got access, they're confident they can do it again and they're not going to be found out." says Brian Hay.

Cyber crime expert Dr Adrian McCullagh agrees saying Anonymous should be taken seriously, telling 7News that is they were successful 10 per cent of the global population would be affected.
Facebook currently has over 800 million users worldwide.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/latest/11285390/hackers-threaten-to-shut-down-facebook
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Beaf: 2:38pm On Nov 02, 2011
It is hard to see how they can succeed, a site like facebook is too dispersed. My bet is that they will hamper some facebook operations at best.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
Beaf:

It is hard to see how they can succeed, a site like facebook is too dispersed. My bet is that they will hamper some facebook operations at best.

I am eagerly waiting to see how this can be done based on ur reason above which i truely believe somehow
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
What time of the day will they try to jack Facebook because I'll need to post what I ate and wore that day on Facebook by 6pm of that day.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by ahmsta(m): 6:23pm On Nov 02, 2011
the group is not going to shut down facebook rather they intend taking it ofline for a while just like a protest,

Check my post on this when the news was realease.
www.ahmsta.com/2011/08/news-anonymous-hack-group-threatens-to.html

=======

Target date : Nov 5 2011, lets see how it goes
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Wallie(m): 6:33pm On Nov 02, 2011
Well, if Facebook is built anything like Amazon, the attempt will fail! Such an attempt was made on Amazon but Amazon's infrastructure just soaked it all up like nothing happened.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9200639/Anonymous_attack_on_Amazon.com_appears_to_fail
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by pkv(m): 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2011
wish i had d hacking skills.CBN 4 hear am!
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by seunlayi(m): 6:46pm On Nov 02, 2011
facebook no be food
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by HisMajesty1(m): 7:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
Is dere no other way to express their protest? Lets just wait and see.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by eghost247(m): 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2011
Probably just barking
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by beethoven: 7:07pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ozin:

Members of an internet group known as Anonymous have threatened to shut down Facebook on November 5.

The Anonymous group is a loosely organised alliance of hackers from around the world.

Locally, they have been attributed to crashing the Australian government website in February 2010 in a protest against Senator Stephen Conroy's quest to pass internet filtering laws.

In a YouTube video from July, and now disabled, Anonymous related hackers announced their proposed attack on the social networking site for November 5 saying, "Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world."

They then vow to, "kill Facebook."

Anonymous has officially distanced itself from the Facebook threat and deny the claim they are orchestrating the attack, they say hackers associated with the group are pursuing it.

The November 5 date was reportedly chosen because it is also Guy Fawkes Day, the day that marks a man's attempt to blow up the British House of Parliament in 1605.

Anonymous unofficially uses Guy Fawkes as a anti-heroism as a symbolic mascot, by wearing the Guy Fawkes mask used in Alan Moore's graphic novel V for Vendetta.

In Moore's story, the mask is worn by a lone freedom fighter against government iniquity.

A member of Queensland police says he would consider the threat seriously, 7News reports.

Brian Hay from Queensland's fraud squad says that he believes hackers of this kind don't make baseless threats.

"I'd imagine they've gone in – they've defeated the security system, they've got access, they're confident they can do it again and they're not going to be found out." says Brian Hay.

Cyber crime expert Dr Adrian McCullagh agrees saying Anonymous should be taken seriously, telling 7News that is they were successful 10 per cent of the global population would be affected.
Facebook currently has over 800 million users worldwide.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/latest/11285390/hackers-threaten-to-shut-down-facebook

Whoever says or thinks facebook can be brought down, let that person wait, watch and see. Hacking has gone beyond what we see or hear in the news. Like the police officer said, they've already defeated the security system and they know they can go in again without being detected. Secondly these guys don't have an office or a specific address, they are scattered all over the world so no matter how distributed you think facebook's infrastructure is, all that is required to defeat their system is to delegates bits of the system to guys in different regions. I have no doubt the system can be compromised.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by AfroBlue(m): 7:10pm On Nov 02, 2011
there is something more important planned for Nov 5th

‘Bank Transfer Day’ Causes Credit Union Buzz

Industry sources, speaking off the record, suggested any wholesale switch from large banks to CUs on Nov. 5, the day designated by one Californian and carried atwitter Monday, could conceivably put net worth ratios out of whack.

The balance sheet problem was raised by several industry officials as a potential hazard as online articles focused on what “Occupy” supporters are calling now for a specific action to underscore their complaints against big banks and corporate “greed.”

For the record, Mark Wolff, CUNA senior vice president-communications, said only that the trade group welcomes the idea of “a viral 'Bank Transfer Day'” since it shows “just how angry consumers are becoming with their treatment by big banks” and will now look at CUs.

CUNA said its Facebook posts have already witnessed big jumps in traffic on www.asmarterhoice.org. There also have been big gains on www.findacreditunion.org.

Many consumers, said CUNA, are already “discovering” credit unions online and “many more no doubt will as a result of this Bank Transfer Day initiative.”

http://www.facebook.com/Nov.Fifth

While the Bank Transfer Day movement acknowledges the enthusiasm from Occupy Wall Street, the Bank Transfer Day movement was neither inspired by, derived from nor organized by the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the Bank Transfer Day movement does not endorse any activities conducted by Occupy Wall Street.

• RSVP to Bank Transfer Day
• @BankTransferDay on Twitter
• Download Flyers

• Find a Credit Union in the United States
• Find a Credit Union in Canada
• Find a Credit Union in the United Kingdom

• Contact Bank Transfer Day

Read the FAQ:
• Why was BTD started?
• Who's behind BTD?
• How do I join in?
• Why can't I invite people?
• Why credit unions?
• Won't this cause another depression?
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by IbroSaunks(m): 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2011
maybe they are Google mercenary!!!
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by NET1(m): 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
Waaaaaar Staaart!! cheesy cheesy

.NET
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by ronkebp(f): 7:51pm On Nov 02, 2011
well, they came too late, the owner of facebook has made his money, and he is still making it.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by daphil: 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
Lets look at their threat from another point of view. They alleged that facebook is selling subscribers' vital information to governments. I think they made a valid point there.
It means facebook has compromised if the allegation is true.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by unipol(m): 8:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
ronkebp:

well, they came too late, the owner of facebook has made his money, and he is still making it.

how?
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by kemmeye: 8:23pm On Nov 02, 2011
Afro_Blue:

there is something more important planned for Nov 5th

‘Bank Transfer Day’ Causes Credit Union Buzz

Boa already dropped the charges so i dont think i will be transferring

as for facebook i have comments im planning to like on that day now

Industry sources, speaking off the record, suggested any wholesale switch from large banks to CUs on Nov. 5, the day designated by one Californian and carried atwitter Monday, could conceivably put net worth ratios out of whack.

The balance sheet problem was raised by several industry officials as a potential hazard as online articles focused on what “Occupy” supporters are calling now for a specific action to underscore their complaints against big banks and corporate “greed.”

For the record, Mark Wolff, CUNA senior vice president-communications, said only that the trade group welcomes the idea of “a viral 'Bank Transfer Day'” since it shows “just how angry consumers are becoming with their treatment by big banks” and will now look at CUs.

CUNA said its Facebook posts have already witnessed big jumps in traffic on www.asmarterhoice.org. There also have been big gains on www.findacreditunion.org.

Many consumers, said CUNA, are already “discovering” credit unions online and “many more no doubt will as a result of this Bank Transfer Day initiative.”

http://www.facebook.com/Nov.Fifth

While the Bank Transfer Day movement acknowledges the enthusiasm from Occupy Wall Street, the Bank Transfer Day movement was neither inspired by, derived from nor organized by the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the Bank Transfer Day movement does not endorse any activities conducted by Occupy Wall Street.

• RSVP to Bank Transfer Day
• @BankTransferDay on Twitter
• Download Flyers

• Find a Credit Union in the United States
• Find a Credit Union in Canada
• Find a Credit Union in the United Kingdom

• Contact Bank Transfer Day

Read the FAQ:
• Why was BTD started?
• Who's behind BTD?
• How do I join in?
• Why can't I invite people?
• Why credit unions?
• Won't this cause another depression?

Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Switup: 8:25pm On Nov 02, 2011
D fact is dere's no much tory here. Lets keep our fingers crossed and wait till d 5th of this month. I just hope sey the world no go end b/4 then
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by freecocoa(f): 8:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
Na today?
Make them shut am down na,wetin be my own.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Gbenge77(m): 8:46pm On Nov 02, 2011
Mtcheew.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
hope  Nairaland is not in there list  cheesy
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Switup: 8:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
Freecocoa nawah 4 u sef. U mad me lol. So do u wan me 2 bliv dat u're nt on fb
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by joe4christ(m): 8:56pm On Nov 02, 2011
freecocoa:

Na today?
Make them shut am down na,wetin be my own.
[size=50pt]E go affect u too, no come here dey form ajeye.
Mtcheeew!
[/size]
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by RickyRoss1(m): 9:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
Phuck with hackers at your own peril. If they can take on google then it means they can take on facebook and company at all, whether large or small  company.
Anyway i wish I have the hacking skills. How do 9ja guys get all these hacking skills these days? How are they able to penetrate even secured networks?
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by Switup: 9:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
Gbenge 77:

Mtcheew.
xcuse moi wat's d meaning of dat word??
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by pkv(m): 9:14pm On Nov 02, 2011
joe4christ:

[size=50pt]E go affect u too, no come here dey form ajeye.
Mtcheeew!
[/size]
talk of Mtcheeew?!
Swit up:

Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by dhtml1(m): 9:16pm On Nov 02, 2011
Oya hackers in Nigeria, let us meet tomorow at Tafawa Balewa square, we need to plan to take some high profile sites down - regarding the fuel subsidy thing.
Then, the LASU fees is still there, and so many other attrocities of the damn government, let us make our own plans for November 5.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by dhtml1(m): 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2011
And i even remembered one goat like that trying to filter our information in the Nigerian cyberspace - fuc.k him.
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by pkv(m): 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2011
Swit up:

ask freecoke.is ha parting shot afta she displays ha trademark of telling u dat "common english u cannot SPOKE"
Re: Hackers Threaten To Shut-down Facebook by tellwisdom: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
Oya hackers in Nigeria, let us meet tomorow at Tafawa Balewa square, we need to plan to take some high profile sites down - regarding the fuel subsidy thing.
Then, the LASU fees is still there, and so many other attrocities of the damn government, let us make our own plans for November 5.

Good idea, but bro which hacking experience you get??, if not to sitdown dey watch person password!! undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Clean Direct Uk Used Slim Hp Probook 4540s Core I5 4gb Ram / The Cost Of Photocopy Machine / Help!the Sound From My Laptop Is Distorted.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.