Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,229 members, 7,836,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni (9866 Views)

Otedola To Give $250,000 To Super Eagles If They Win AFCON - Godwin Emefiele / Win AFCON 2021 Or Return Taxpayers’ Money – Guinea President Warns Syli Stars / Kanu, Eguavoen, Siasia, Akanni To Play Fund-raising Match For Distressed Oruma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by politicoNG: 11:46am On Dec 30, 2023
Ex-international, Waidi Akanni, on Saturday, said the Super Eagles would need a miracle to win the 2023 Côte d’Ivoire Africa Nation’s Cup (AFCON) due to inadequate preparation.

Akanni said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos with barely two weeks to the kick-off of the tournament, which holds from Jan.13 to Feb. 11, 2024.

“My expectations are same whenever Super Eagles play, they have become very unreliable. So, I won’t expect much from them because I don’t want to be disappointed.

“Winning AFCON will be a miracle for Nigeria. It would be presumptuous of me to expect Super Eagles to come out tops at the championship.

“One of the elements of a team is predictability, I can’t predict them because I don’t know their pedigree.

“I believe I’m not the only one that feels this way about the team, a lot needs to be worked on in the midfield, defence and goalkeeping departments of the team,”
he said.

Akanni, a member of the bronze medal-winning U-20 1985 FIFA World Youth Championship team, said the handlers of the team should have included some home-based players.

“It has always been the same for AFCON with African countries because of the European season. It’s difficult to get a full house of players as a group till about a week to AFCON.

“I think the coaches should have given some home-based players the opportunity to compete for some positions, not only goalkeepers.

“The final list is predictable as we had all the former players both fit and unfit in the 41-Man list,”
he said.

NAN reports that the team is set to depart for a one-week training camp in Abu Dhabi.

The team will later proceed to Abidjan where it will face Equatorial Guinea in the opening Group A match on Jan. 14, 2024, and later Côte d’Ivoire, and Guinea-Bissau.

Super Eagles, three-time champions of the tournament: 1980, 1994, and 2013, hope to win the trophy for the fourth time when the tournament kicks off in January 2004.

https://dailytrust.com/itll-take-miracle-for-super-eagles-to-win-afcon/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by PlayMaker14: 11:58am On Dec 30, 2023
He is saying the truth...

-The midfield weak like Tinubu's economic team without a creative spark like Kelechi Nwakali.

-Ahmed Musa still invited.

-Uzoho the blunder has no replacement.

Na miracle indeed.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by GanagiBitrus: 12:04pm On Dec 30, 2023
If na by miracle, we have thousands of G.O's, Prophets, Pastors & other Men of God to make it happen. cheesy

11 Likes

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Freshtruth(m): 3:02pm On Dec 30, 2023
Those of you insulting piesero . Bring Carlo Ancelonti and Pep gaurdiola combined nothing go happen. The truth be say we no get players we over hype ourselves too much. Afcon favorites are Morroco, Senegal and Egypt the rest are wasting their sweats

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by shagie07: 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2023
Liverpool Intensifies Training Ahead Against Newcastle Showdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPefNN6iJ0
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2023
Expecting Super Eagles to win AFCON is just like expecting Gbola Tinubu's dead blockos to rise again.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by inoki247: 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2023
Lol no be miracle dem dey use win before people wey we need carry calculator before dem win ...

1 Like

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by sematec(m): 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2023
h
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by rinzaugustine: 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2023
Lol…would also take a miracle for tinubu to succeed as an illegitimate president sitting on a stolen mandate

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by MayowaTallguy: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2023
No be that one even pain me pass
Wetin pain me pass no be say we no get better players
Osimehn
Boniface
Chukuweze and so on
Agha ballers representing top clubs
But e fit be one Lesotho go give us wotowoto cry

3 Likes

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by cathodekazim: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2023
With Uzoho and Calvin. Bassey in that team, I'm sorry. That's all I've to say

3 Likes

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Adebaba1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2023
very right
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Johnycastro18: 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2023
With Francis uzoho in our goal post, i Believe whatsoever he is saying to be true grin

The coach keep reinforcing failure, when he could simply try out other goal keepers.

7 Likes

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by CoronaVirusPro: 6:36pm On Dec 30, 2023
Its outrightly impossible!

Not even a miracle can work!

It's like saying a miracle can make Arsenal win the UEFA champions league.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by slaawomirr: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2023
Damnnn niggar

I agree

Just stake super eagles opponents to score super eagles over 0.5 or over 1.5

You will cash out very well

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by easyfem(m): 6:39pm On Dec 30, 2023
No b lie
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by iuni: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2023
Bad talk. Even the best teams don't win most times
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by money121(m): 6:42pm On Dec 30, 2023
Ok
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Stephench: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2023
Freshtruth:
Those of you insulting piesero . Bring Carlo Ancelonti and Pep gaurdiola combined nothing go happen. The truth be say we no get players we over hype ourselves too much. Afcon favorites are Morroco, Senegal and Egypt the rest are wasting their sweats

No get player? You well so? Lack of players has never been the problem of Nigeria - we've always been star-studed. Using our players is the biggest problem we face from.

The main point of your comment is that our players are over hyped. Please tell us which of our top player is actually overhyped
Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by ppogba: 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2023
PlayMaker14:
He is saying the truth...

-The midfield weak like Tinubu's economic team without a creative spark like Kelechi Nwakali.

-Ahmed Musa still invited.

-Uzoho the blunder has no replacement.

Na miracle indeed.

The same Kelechi Nwakali that won the Balon D'ior abi another one?

No be only Nwakali. Na Onye kulikuli.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by ItisWell22(f): 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
If na by miracle, we have thousands of G.O's, Prophets, Pastors & other Men of God to make it happen. smiley

You really wish… 😁

1 Like

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Fortruth: 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2023
Oyibo coaches will make money next month and after dem go japa Africa

Foolish Blackies

1 Like

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by Onlinebar: 6:57pm On Dec 30, 2023
You know it's a joke when you see Ahmed Musa's name on the list...... Dude should have retired 5 years ago grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It’ll Take Miracle For Super Eagles To Win AFCON - Ex-international, Akanni by MasterTeeUSA: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2023
1994 Team remains the GOAT. If you don't agree, go to Court

grin
politicoNG:

https://dailytrust.com/itll-take-miracle-for-super-eagles-to-win-afcon/

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live Updates 9 Jan: Winners At The 2013 Glo CAF Awards!!! / Nigeria VS DRC Game Will Go Ahead Despite Ebola Fears - Dalung. / Senegal vs Cape Verde: AFCON 2021 Round-of-16 (2 - 0) On 25th January 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.