Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? (319 Views)

What Can A Young Graduate Gainfully Engage In Apart From Tech? / Advice For A Friend... / Janet Bunor, A Young Female Pilot In Nigeria, Buzzing On Social Media (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by Ernestine20(f): 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2023
Good day. Compliments of the season.

What are the relevant skills someone applying for a graduate trainee role should have and how do I improve my finances in a new year?

PS: Just a few months to the completion of my NYSC.

Mods. Please front page🙏

1 Like

Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by Turquoiseee: 3:59pm On Dec 30, 2023
Get a job, and start saving to japa for your own good 👍
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by Love800(m): 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2023
A bag of floor now is 49k. How do u intend one survive with baking?
TheDarkporeShow:

I would advice you to apply for as many jobs as possible, preferably jobs that will allow you to acquire transferable skills. Don't limit yourself to the field you studied.

If a job requires communications, sales, administration, and even social media marketing, please ensure you send in an application. If you have time, I would suggest you also learn how to bake (bread, pastries and cakes). This will get you into grocery chains, and most malls/food courts are in dire need of bakers. It's a practical skill that can set you up to become a.food entrepreneur.

I would recommend two advisory resources: try and listen to the conversation below: the greatest years of your life .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHXkCsJ2fc

If you can listen beyond the first 7-10 minutes, you'll hear these guys discuss strategies that are useful for someone in your shoes. Pay close attention to their analogy of "learning baking skills and transferring it to a bigger grocer".

If you decide that you'd rather start out your own business, I'd advice you also listen to everyday businesspeople and entrepreneurs just like you in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLU2yNv2f0

In this convo: crazy hustle stories, They discuss how they got their ideas, got referrals, paying customers, managed their social media and secured loans to expand their businesses.

Let me know if you find this helpful. Cheers
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by 4mee: 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2023
TheDarkporeShow:

I would advice you to apply for as many jobs as possible, preferably jobs that will allow you to acquire transferable skills. Don't limit yourself to the field you studied.

If a job requires communications, sales, administration, and even social media marketing, please ensure you send in an application. If you have time, I would suggest you also learn how to bake (bread, pastries and cakes). This will get you into grocery chains, and most malls/food courts are in dire need of bakers. It's a practical skill that can set you up to become a.food entrepreneur.

I would recommend two advisory resources: try and listen to the conversation below: the greatest years of your life .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHXkCsJ2fc

If you can listen beyond the first 7-10 minutes, you'll hear these guys discuss strategies that are useful for someone in your shoes. Pay close attention to their analogy of "learning baking skills and transferring it to a bigger grocer".

If you decide that you'd rather start out your own business, I'd advice you also listen to everyday businesspeople and entrepreneurs just like you in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLU2yNv2f0

In this convo: crazy hustle stories, They discuss how they got their ideas, got referrals, paying customers, managed their social media and secured loans to expand their businesses.

Let me know if you find this helpful. Cheers

Great advice
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by 4mee: 8:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
Love800:
A bag of floor now is 49k. How do u intend one survive with baking?

He's spot on with learning how to bake. Almost all malls in my neighborhood need bakers who can operate the bakery equipment.

But unless you're in a high foot traffic region, I would advice against opening a bakery. However, if you're looking for a job in a bakery, there are multiple openings : grocery bazaar, ShopRite, Grand square, just rite and jendol are all looking for bakers. It seems most of the bakery staff easily Japa to bakeries in Europe.
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by Love800(m): 8:26pm On Dec 31, 2023
What do u mean by "but unless you are in a high foot traffic region, i would advise against opening a bakery".

And, which baking are they using to japa?
Is it eggroll and doughnuts u want to go bake abroad?
4mee:

He's spot on with learning how to bake. Almost all malls in my neighborhood need bakers who can operate the bakery equipment.

But unless you're in a high foot traffic region, I would advice against opening a bakery. However, if you're looking for a job in a bakery, there are multiple openings : grocery bazaar, ShopRite, Grand square, just rite and jendol are all looking for bakers. It seems most of the bakery staff easily Japa to bakeries in Europe.
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by 4mee: 2:54pm On Jan 01
Love800:
What do u mean by "but unless you are in a high foot traffic region, i would advise against opening a bakery".

And, which baking are they using to japa?
Is it eggroll and doughnuts u want to go bake abroad?

Eggroll and doughnuts are not baked goods. They are fried. Anyone can learn to prepare them in an afternoon. And I'm.not speaking about petty baking of agege bread either.

In the few wealthy neighborhoods close to mine, baked goods stores keep looking for bakers. If you were here, you will see the level of technical skill needed for industrial pastries, cookies, and chocolates. You need to have folks operating enobling and mixing machines, industrial lines etc.

About high foot traffic region
Food depends on foot traffic. That's why restaurants do better closer to carparks, bus stops and ferry terminals.
Re: What’s Your Advice For A Young Graduate? by Love800(m): 6:22pm On Jan 01
Nice.

I want u to give me examples of these baked goods? What do they actually bake? What type of pastries?

Talking about japa, which visa did they use?
And when they reach there, did they open their own shops or they got employed working under somebody?
4mee:

Eggroll and doughnuts are not baked goods. They are fried. Anyone can learn to prepare them in an afternoon. And I'm.not speaking about petty baking of agege bread either.

In the few wealthy neighborhoods close to mine, baked goods stores keep looking for bakers. If you were here, you will see the level of technical skill needed for industrial pastries, cookies, and chocolates. You need to have folks operating enobling and mixing machines, industrial lines etc.

About high foot traffic region
Food depends on foot traffic. That's why restaurants do better closer to carparks, bus stops and ferry terminals.

(1) (Reply)

Please, Enlight Me. / Application To Free Software Training Closes In 5days / Check Out This Awesome Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.