Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,891 members, 7,810,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night (31327 Views)

2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / Wife To Husband; Yes I Slept With Another Man. What Should He Do? / Woman Seeks Divorce After 25 Years In UAE; Court Tells Her To Return To Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2023
Couple ditches Amazon Alexa after the device started talking to her husband in the middle of the night

A TikToker evicted her Amazon home device equipped with Alexa after the female-voiced program started talking to her husband in the middle of the night.

"This past weekend, I was gone out of town, and the Alexa kept going off, and it kept talking to my husband," said Jess, whose user name is @cozylifewithbless, in a recent video.

"He was playing video games at 1 a.m., and he was, like, 'This is just super, super weird,'" she added.

But things didn’t end there for the already icked-out Jess.

Not long after her home device started striking up some one-on-one conversation with the husband, Alexa was discovered “speaking after not being talked to at all,” Jess revealed.

Now, Alexa is “officially evicted from our place,” Jess said.

In the comments of her video, some said they could relate to the odd behavior.

“I also caught my Alexa at 3 a.m. whispering to my dogs in the kitchen,” one wrote. “I thought someone was in the house. I unplugged it.”

Another TikToker, MKP Studios, observed their Alexa spitting out a “chilling message.”

“Stop, error, 701, enter,” the household technology bizarrely kept repeating. (Though he may not have been the only customer to receive a similarly ominous warning.)

On Reddit, a user posted about their Alexa being creepy as well.

“I have heard of Alexa doing random things. Well, tonight when I went to my room, I asked Alexa to turn my lights on as I always do and Alexa did. Only after 5 seconds they turned back off. I did this again and the same thing happened.

“About an hour later my [mom] comes into my room saying Alexa has just sung goodbye to her for no reason. And it does it again a few minutes later.”

Five years ago, Alexa went viral for having a creepy laugh that sometimes seemingly activated on its own.

Last year on an Amazon Forum, user Heidi N filed a disturbing report from her Amazon Echo Spot device, too.

“My Echo Spot had an alarm set for 5:45, but sometime before 5 am (I am guessing it was about 4:45), Alexa randomly started speaking. She said, ‘Today is a good day to kill yourself,’” the user wrote.

"Her exact words might have varied slightly, but I caught that part and said ‘Alexa stop,’ which did stop her. But she followed up right after with information about Suicide Prevention. I said ‘Alexa stop’ again, and she over-rided me. I repeated it, and she finally stopped."

Author

EndtimesHeadlines

"This past weekend, I was gone out of town, and the Alexa kept going off, and it kept talking to my husband," said Jess, whose user name is @cozylifewithbless, in a recent video.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by illicit(m): 10:29pm On Dec 30, 2023
🧟

2 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by StubbornGENIUS: 10:35pm On Dec 30, 2023
HILARIOUS smiley wink smiley cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by AyobamiIsaac12: 10:44pm On Dec 30, 2023
AI been going crazy grin

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by SharingIsLife(m): 10:46pm On Dec 30, 2023
Thought Alexa is the Amazon website that ranks websites based on their popularity? Let me go to Google and cross check.

Hmmm! I just gained new knowledge. There is a difference between 'Alexa Internet' (which I referenced above) and 'Amazon Alexa' (the one reported here). The funny part is that both are owned by Amazon, so I wonder why one should be marked out as 'Amazon Alexa'.

It's now I understand why some people campaign against these big entrepreneurs having too much influence all over the place. Just see how they keep confusing us...

From Elon Musk changing our good old Twitter to X to this. https://twitter.com/DNCNetwork1/status/1740887853679378518?t=xa-t4fsaDghxNYjcBWzXaw&s=19

6 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Jeon(f): 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2023
This Alexa can be very dangerous. There's a third party behind it.
Imagine using Alexa as a key and something bad, like home accident :fire outbreak and she starts to malfunction.

38 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by ValCon888: 1:04am On Dec 31, 2023
That’s a smart woman. Olosho Alexa wants to snatch her husband grin

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Gadafii: 6:08am On Dec 31, 2023
The bad side to AI, is being hacked by another person or entity

If you have seen iRobot you will have an understanding that there is going to be a subtle or an all out war between man and machine in the near future

Alexa talking to someone without being talked to first is an indication that it’s either been hacked or it has learnt some functions on it own which man didn’t program it to, in other words it can learn other more lethal functions like causing fire in the home through electronic malfunctions etc

88 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by GboyegaD(m): 8:50pm On Dec 31, 2023
Ah

1 Like

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Angelfrost(m): 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2023
The Conjuring Pt. 6!

They should call the Warrens... If they could handle Annabelle, they can handle Alexa. cool

10 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Judolisco(m): 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2023
Na different things meet everybody... Dis one dey beef with robot other people dey find money... Na who Don chop belleful dey follow AI fight grin

12 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by FineUsername(m): 8:52pm On Dec 31, 2023
Na glitch.

On a lighter note:

Assuming Alexa dey give am gossip about who dey come house, she for no ditch am. grin

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Balistic4: 8:52pm On Dec 31, 2023
I still believe that what Schwarzenegger predicted with his Terminator series might still happen, maybe not exactly as depicted in the movie.

These AI will gather lots of information and become self-aware

12 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by vayewy: 8:53pm On Dec 31, 2023
Verified PayPal And Payoneer Account For 7K Only.

LEGIT PAYPAL FUNDS FOR 1000Naira PER $... Escrow can come in or one on one deal

ALSO GET A VERIFIED USA BANK ACCOUNT THAT ALLOW YOU TO WITHDRAW FUNDS TO NIGERIAN BANK ACCOUNT AND MAKE ONLINE PAYMENT.

Check my Profile or my signature for my WhatsApp number
Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by OlujobaSamuel: 8:53pm On Dec 31, 2023
This is what we called rich man use his money to buy wahala

5 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:54pm On Dec 31, 2023
AIs have come to stay. We can only improve them over time but they can't be eradicated

1 Like

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by boxypane(m): 8:55pm On Dec 31, 2023
The dangers of A.I. Just imagine that customer was already suicidal?

14 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by IkeGod9891(m): 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2023
Company gave me dis device and till today. I don't know what it's use for?
Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by mysteriousman(m): 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2023
This machines will eventually take over our lives just like in the movies

2 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by yahoodetector: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2023
Hahaha!

Reminds me of the movies "Jaxie" and the other one where the actor's phone OS fell in love with him and got jealous of real women coming close (forgotten the name).

If I want AI, I would prefer MEGAN the AI Doll.

8 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Goodday55: 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2023
Kai

2 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by tuzle(m): 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2023
Angelfrost:
The Conjuring Pt. 6!

They should call the Warrens... If they could handle Annabelle, they can handle Alexa. cool
they are late.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by thesicilian: 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2023
Why do people need Alexa in their homes?
Most of what it does are minor stuff that any one can do within seconds. Won't be surprised if the powers that be are using it to monitor people
The last thing I'll ever go for is a smart home, or a smart car

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Angelfrost(m): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2023
tuzle:
they are late.
Ohhh... That's tough luck for the couple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by BloomingDale(f): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2023
Just like the robot that attacked a worker in Elon Musk Tesla factory.

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by sammyuche(m): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2023
Go and watch the mover H.E.R ...... similar experience

1 Like

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by Natbrowny: 9:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
thesicilian:
Why do people need Alexa in their homes?

Excellent Question? Just WHY.
Na just luxury n technology and with time, it will have a mind of its own.

Humans atimes no normal aswear.

Now robots behave like humans, and Humans behave like robot

11 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by SuccessfulRichi: 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2023
AI technology is a demon 👿👿😈. Stop it now. Satan is in control.

8 Likes

Re: Couple Ditches Alexa After The Device Started Talking To Husband In The Night by oluwaseyi0: 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Married As Virgins - Couple Who Welcomed Triplets After 25 Years Of Marriage / Woman Welcomes Triplets After Six Years Of Waiting (Photos) / Has My Wife Finally Moved On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.