Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K (25033 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Lisaint(m): 5:27pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

Cc:Justwise

Sire how una dey get federal job

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by crypto4dummies: 5:31pm On Jan 03
donmaxman:
My advice to you is to japa to Canada if possible. Several years ago in Nigeria precisely 2015, I was earning about 750k per month and I still left. People told me it was a bad decision then but now I thank God I made the decision as most friends that criticized me then have come to their senses and are surprised I had the foresight then. The exchange rate then, was I CAD to 150 ngn. Today it is 1 CAD to 920 NGN. First, building you assets in Naira is risky as one insane CBN governor can easily print so much local currency and devalue the currency making your hard working years and saving completely worthless. I invested heavily in Nigerian stocks, houses, bonds and they are worthless today if I convert it. My house in Nigeria can barely fetch me 15000 dollars if I put it up for sale. If I had taken the same action in a proper working economy I would have become a millionaire in dollars. People ruined Nigerian banks and mismanaged shareholders fund and they are not in jail. People will eat your pension funds and nothing will.happen. Nigeria is a no go for any smart young man with vision. I have a foreign passport, access to a world class healthcare. I know how much assets I have built abroad since I left Nigeria. I look at my years in Nigeria as the locust years of my life. There is no accountability in Nigeria. 200k is less than 200 dollars

Thanks for this write-up. It means alot right now.

I'm bookmarking it with this quote.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by bonnyhope: 5:32pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:
Wait until dangote refinery is complete. A dollar will exchange for 150 naira then and all japarians will be miserable.

I like this dream

I wish it could come to pass
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by rapheal5(m): 5:37pm On Jan 03
tensazangetsu20:

Luckily I have saved my future generations from the Nigerian reality lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
By not giving birth right?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by dapoilori: 5:41pm On Jan 03
My brother, wait till when you're married, you'll know your monthly salary of #200k is nothing. You'll rent a 2-bed room flat of #300/month, you'll service your car, you'll send your kids to school, you'll maintain yourself. You'll send money to your parents. Can your #200k monthly salary take care of these?

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Truvelisback(m): 5:51pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

For some days now I have been on a serious dilemma whether to resign from my federal government job that pays me above N200k for my current position and migrate to the UK or stay in naija and set up a business to augment my salary. I will be 34 years next year, I feel traveling to the uk for studies next year September will delay my chances of getting married, as I have planned not exceeding 34 years without getting married.

I belong to the school of thought that believes can make it in Nigeria despite all odds. However, considering the economic realities of the country, I have recently contemplating of japa and maybe get a Nigerian lady for marriage after my studies.

Please I earnestly need matured advice from you guys to know how to start the coming year.

Don't. I would advise that you add other source of income to it. A bird at hand is worth two in the bush.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 5:55pm On Jan 03
Wat do u mean by abysmal?
DKM123:
Raising a family and earning just above 200k in the present Nigeria is living from "hand to mouth". Civil service where thier salary increment yearly is abysmal.
You think it's something now because you are single.

You had better run 40/40 now so your kids can thank you in the future. You can start dating now and if she is understanding she will wait for 2 or 3 years for you to settle.. Marriage is not running away.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 5:58pm On Jan 03
Goodevening.
How did u get the spouse?
Abeg put ur boy through na.
Even if na grandma, i go relocate with am.
Bosman17:
It depends… spouse visa, professional job visa good! Any other form of entry is not worth it!
I live in the UK and came in on a spouse visa, I got integrated easily and quickly… moved into our house exactly 3years after finally moving to the UK (cos I did a bit of back and forth) And I know someone who even got settled even more quickly!
Student visaship is a scam! If you are coming in with a visiting visa don’t even bother. If you have that amount money for school runs… think deeply about an investment!

Finally and most importantly, please pray 🙏🏻 don’t let these generation deceive you that prayer doesn’t work. What does not work is a lazy man’s prayer… the prayer of a diligent person gets God’s attention.

Good luck!
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by OnionBandit(f): 6:01pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
I said I need matured people’s advice.
He is mature abeg. Na you no get sense. I wonder what else you are looking for. You ve got a good paying federal job and you are still contemplating japaing? What for? Greener pastures? You are very stewpid!

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by SweetNIJA2: 6:01pm On Jan 03
Yes as a federal government worker myself for 15 years.
YES travel
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 6:02pm On Jan 03
How can i come for a teaching job in uk?
I want to teach in primary or secondary schs there.
mechoau:

If you have the resources, i would advise you to leave that 200k you said is my daily pay if converted to naira. Do the maths, let’s say i work a long day shift 7:30-9:00pm, i.e 13hrs :30mins @ the rate of £11.50 this gives £155.25 then multiply by current rate let’s even say 1540, that gives you 239,085 naira.

Note: this is not even Saturday rate or Sunday rate when rate is double pay( x2)

I haven’t earned closed to 30,000,000 naira when i was in naija but i was able to saved, completed my school fee, got myself iPhone 14 Pro Max for myself, wife, and a brother and i was able to spend millions bringing my woman over.

There are opportunities here irrespective of bills and tax. My advice is if you have the opportunity/ resources please leave.

I came here oct 2022 with just £135 but to God be the glory i am over thousand of thousands in pounds
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 6:04pm On Jan 03
How?
U need to explain, not just spilling empty sentence or words.
promzy555:
My brother, I will advise u to stay back 80% of Nigerians are regretting big time
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 6:06pm On Jan 03
Why dont u tell us why it was a worst decision?
Dont just spill empty talks here abeg.
Ebeano49:
If you have a confirmed respectable job (not cleaning oyibo nyash o), then japa immediately. Otherwise, keep your 200k job and look for side hustle. In the long run, you'll have a more fulfilled life than you'll have if you japa.
I left Nigeria in 2004. On reflection, it is probably the worst decision I ever made.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 6:09pm On Jan 03
It depends on what u want.
Maybe u are satisfied with the corruption taking place in the country.
Bad tin from the country neva hit u directly and ghastly.
Enjoy ur stay.
Graciafun:
I can never leave a job that pays me well above 200k for the UK while living outside Abuja, Lagos and Ph. No matter what. Leaving a known evil to go start unknown wonderland.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Love800(m): 6:13pm On Jan 03
Oga abeg off dis bill talk abeg. Pls off it. Dont u know dat the salary is actually okay there. So wat are u saying?
xandy84:
Your analysis of 200k is $200 does not work that way. I have lived in US for 10 years uninterrupted and I had work my way from $10hr to present $100hr and I can tell you someone who earn $2k net in US is not better than someone who earn 200k monthly in Nigeria when you factor bills. Average American that goes home with $2k net monthly is broke and one illness from bankruptcy.
Abroad ain't for everybody and if we go by exchange rate, lots of people had left a career back home and end up in worse situation cos all they see is $$ sign. The first ruse of japa is converting your naira to $$ thinking you're underpaid. It does not work that way.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by donmaxman: 6:17pm On Jan 03
xandy84:
Your analysis of 200k is $200 does not work that way. I have lived in US for 10 years uninterrupted and I had work my way from $10hr to present $100hr and I can tell you someone who earn $2k net in US is not better than someone who earn 200k monthly in Nigeria when you factor bills. Average American that goes home with $2k net monthly is broke and one illness from bankruptcy.
Abroad ain't for everybody and if we go by exchange rate, lots of people had left a career back home and end up in worse situation cos all they see is $$ sign. The first ruse of japa is converting your naira to $$ thinking you're underpaid. It does not work that way.

Bro you do not know what you are saying. I have the benefit of working in Nigeria for 14 years and rising to a mid level manager in a telecommunications company. My wife was a branch Manager of a commercial bank before we migrated. It was the best decision ever. Stop misleading people! You cannot be more Nigerian than I am. Nigeria will destroy and kill you. You guys complain about overseas but you never talk about the benefits. Do you know most companies here give you stock options and match you your contributions allowing you grow your assets as you work. Govt in Canada contribute 25 percent to your child's university education asides from getting you to save proactively in trust funds. Your retirement pensions from Canada can take care of you very well in any third world country. Canada allows you bring your siblings and family under the provincial nomination route. You get free health care for life!!! Do you know what this means. I had a friend who thought he was rich in Nigeria until he fell ill and spent all his money on getting a cure. Guess what he died afterwards from depression because he realized he had to start life from the scratch. You fall ill here in a developed country and your least problem is money. Professional development nko,Canada has made me read and grow my skills like mad. I spent at least 4 hours everyday developing myself because there is incentive to do so! Nigerian work will make you useless. Politics, asslicking, nepotism and loyalty determines your pay rise and promotion . Canada made me realize my life is in my hand and not my 'oga's' hand. I can fire my company anytime. I can do two jobs if I like. I can make extra money when I want. My brother forget Nigeria!! My worst regret is having anything to do with that stupid currency called Naira that will soon turn to Zimbabwe money. Are you aware the Tinubu has printed additional 3 trillion naira via ways and means since took over power? Can you genuinely store your future in that currency? Crude oil is losing value and that is what Nigeria is hoping to revive its economy with! Tell people the truth!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by NurseJP(m): 6:23pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

The problem with Nigerian economy is that the money is without value. Take for instance, Naira to pounds is currently trading at #1500/£ and with this rate £200 is #300k, money someone in the UK can make more than in a day just doing 12 hrs shift. Also , considering family dynamics. Travelling apart from the financial reward, quality of life for you and the children, safety of lives and property, quality education for them and unlimited opportunities. You may have to reconsider your decision especially if you have a clear plan/job, one year is sufficient to build fund to marry and raise a family.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by komzy589(m): 6:24pm On Jan 03
Icesnow:
Get married before relocating to the UK oo. It reduces boredom, financial and visa stress. A word is enough for the wise. 2 are better than one.
Don’t listen to this person. Being married doesn’t reduce boredom o.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Graciafun(m): 6:30pm On Jan 03
Love800:
It depends on what u want.
Maybe u are satisfied with the corruption taking place in the country.
Bad tin from the country neva hit u directly and ghastly.
Enjoy ur stay.

Be optimistic for once. The places you're running to once experienced problems and they fought & stayed. I'm not discouraging you from leaving, but you know everyone can't leave no matter what. Besides, if them grant your visa tomorrow, I go join you praise the Lord.
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by mistacoco2: 6:52pm On Jan 03
OnionBandit:
He is mature abeg. Na you no get sense. I wonder what else you are looking for. You ve got a good paying federal job and you are still contemplating japaing? What for? Greener pastures? You are very stewpid!
pour your depression and stupidit.y to somewhere else
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Observatory: 6:55pm On Jan 03
No long Cap ... I am 34 , Single and Happy and relocating to UK this year... Your 200k was how much in pounds January 2023? How is it now? ... It is your choice to stay, woman plenty.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by victor175(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03
Bosman17:
It depends… spouse visa, professional job visa good! Any other form of entry is not worth it!
I live in the UK and came in on a spouse visa, I got integrated easily and quickly… moved into our house exactly 3years after finally moving to the UK (cos I did a bit of back and forth) And I know someone who even got settled even more quickly!
Student visaship is a scam! If you are coming in with a visiting visa don’t even bother. If you have that amount money for school runs… think deeply about an investment!

Finally and most importantly, please pray 🙏🏻 don’t let these generation deceive you that prayer doesn’t work. What does not work is a lazy man’s prayer… the prayer of a diligent person gets God’s attention.

Good luck!

You are wicked. You’re in UK where you earn up to £200 a day before taxes, equivalent to what he earns a year and you tell him not to come. OP better jakpa before nairA go reach 2000

2 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by NEROSKY(m): 7:07pm On Jan 03
Leave ur Job anyday u see ur visa

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by sylve11: 7:12pm On Jan 03
donmaxman:
My advice to you is to japa to Canada if possible. Several years ago in Nigeria precisely 2015, I was earning about 750k per month and I still left. People told me it was a bad decision then but now I thank God I made the decision as most friends that criticized me then have come to their senses and are surprised I had the foresight then. The exchange rate then, was I CAD to 150 ngn. Today it is 1 CAD to 920 NGN. First, building you assets in Naira is risky as one insane CBN governor can easily print so much local currency and devalue the currency making your hard working years and saving completely worthless. I invested heavily in Nigerian stocks, houses, bonds and they are worthless today if I convert it. My house in Nigeria can barely fetch me 15000 dollars if I put it up for sale. If I had taken the same action in a proper working economy I would have become a millionaire in dollars. People ruined Nigerian banks and mismanaged shareholders fund and they are not in jail. People will eat your pension funds and nothing will.happen. Nigeria is a no go for any smart young man with vision. I have a foreign passport, access to a world class healthcare. I know how much assets I have built abroad since I left Nigeria. I look at my years in Nigeria as the locust years of my life. There is no accountability in Nigeria. 200k is less than 200 dollars

Hmmm cool
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by donmaxman: 7:17pm On Jan 03
donmaxman:

Bro you do not know what you are saying. I have the benefit of working in Nigeria for 14 years and rising to a mid level manager in a telecommunications company. My wife was a branch Manager of a commercial bank before we migrated. It was the best decision ever. Stop misleading people! You cannot be more Nigerian than I am. Nigeria will destroy and kill you. You guys complain about overseas but you never talk about the benefits. Do you know most companies here give you stock options and match you your contributions allowing you grow your assets as you work. Govt in Canada contribute 25 percent to your child's university education asides from getting you to save proactively in trust funds. Your retirement pensions from Canada can take care of you very well in any third world country. Canada allows you bring your siblings and family under the provincial nomination route. You get free health care for life!!! Do you know what this means. I had a friend who thought he was rich in Nigeria until he fell ill and spent all his money on getting a cure. Guess what he died afterwards from depression because he realized he had to start life from the scratch. You fall ill here in a developed country and your least problem is money. Professional development nko,Canada has made me read and grow my skills like mad. I spent at least 4 hours everyday developing myself because there is incentive to do so! Nigerian work will make you useless. Politics, asslicking, nepotism and loyalty determines your pay rise and promotion . Canada made me realize my life is in my hand and not my 'oga's' hand. I can fire my company anytime. I can do two jobs if I like. I can make extra money when I want. My brother forget Nigeria!! My worst regret is having anything to do with that stupid currency called Naira that will soon turn to Zimbabwe money. Are you aware the Tinubu has printed additional 3 trillion naira via ways and means since took over power? Can you genuinely store your future in that currency? Crude oil is losing value and that is what Nigeria is hoping to revive its economy with! Tell people the truth!

To even burst your head, I know a lot of engineers that left Canada and are collecting bastard money in the middle east without paying taxes. I can bet you that with your naija passport those companies will not touch you with a foot long pool but an international passport changes everything. Nigeria is only good if you are a politician, oil company employee, clergy or bigtime business mogul. The painful thing about Nigeria is that we do not even value local experience. By default, a foreigner will earn more than you for doing the same job role. Nigeria companies and government value foreigners more than their own citizens. In fact the cheating is too much, I have not even added quota system and discrimination. I saw this life for several years and wondered what the future held for my children. Nigeria is a thinking time bomb waiting to explode.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Discreet90: 7:19pm On Jan 03
Relocating alone on student visa without a dependant to work is tough especially if you are not planning to pay most of ur tuition before japa. But if you are strong, hard working and u manage to scale through the 1 year of school. It will be the best decision you ever made.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by advanceDNA: 7:21pm On Jan 03
Dmanuel:

This is what makes NIGERIA corrupt. If he's leaving let him depart and resign appropriately and met others in Nigeria get the space. We need to stop all these bad behavior. What we cal this Nigeria Factor is nothing but nonsense that we all directly and indirectly reap its results.
Yinmu....
Until it's your turn ...
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by newnig: 7:21pm On Jan 03
enumerica:
You don't need to resign. Simply take a study leave without pay. Work closely with your principals to achieve that. When you get there, you will know when to return.
Smart
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by MOGPman(m): 7:29pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

How can advice be mature as though a personality?
Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by Chinjo2: 7:29pm On Jan 03
mistacoco2:
Hello guys,

Whoever is advicing you not to travel out is your enemy number one. Do you know how much you will earn if you are to travel abroad? Please drop that job and move. Nigeria does not ahave a good atmosphere for business to thrive.

1 Like

Re: Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K by rolams(m): 7:30pm On Jan 03
The decision is yours. Nobody sees it better than yourself. The people around you at your work place, the working condition, your freedom, your salary, your family, your financial capacity, opportunity and many other factors must be considered.

Wish you the best!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Uk Visa Refusal And Re-application / Sinking Cities That Could Disappear By 2100 / A Final Year Student Of Oscohtech Died From Accident Today (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.