Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo (23372 Views)

We Will Go After Holders Of Certificates From Degree Mills – Education Minister / FG Suspends UI Governing Council Meetings / All My Certificates From Primary School To Masters (Msc) Stolen From Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by dre11(m): 12:58pm On Jan 02
Henry Tyohemba

The Federal Government has announced the suspension of evaluation and accreditation of degree certificates from the neighbouring Benin Republic and Togo.

The suspension followed an investigative report by an online newspaper, which unravelled a Cotonou-based University, which issued a degree certificate to an undercover Journalist within six weeks.

In a statement on Tuesday, signed by Augustina Obilor-Duru on behalf of the Director Press and Public Relations of the Federal Ministry of Education, the federal government lamented that “some Nigerians deploy nefarious means and unconscionable methods to get a Degree with the end objective of getting graduate job opportunities for which they are not qualified.”

The government said the suspension will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation involving the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Education of Nigeria and the two countries as well as the Department of State Security Services (DSS), and the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC).

The Ministry, therefore, called on the general public to support its efforts, show understanding and provide useful information that will assist the Committee in finding lasting solutions in order to prevent further occurrence.

The statement reads in parts; “The attention of the Federal Ministry of Education has been drawn to the commendable work of investigative journalism that led to the publication by the Daily Nigerian Newspaper dated 30th December 2023 titled “UNDERCOVER: How DAILY NIGERIAN reporter bagged Cotonou varsity degree in 6 weeks, participated in NYSC scheme.

“This report lends credence to suspicions that some Nigerians deploy nefarious means and unconscionable methods to get a Degree with the end objective of getting graduate job opportunities for which they are not qualified.

“The Federal Ministry of Education vehemently decries such acts and with effect from 2nd January 2024 is suspending evaluation and accreditation of degree certificates from Benin and Togo Republics pending the outcome of an investigation that would involve the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Nigeria and the two countries, the ministries responsible for Education in the two countries as well the Department of State Security Services (DSSS), and the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC).”

The Ministry also said it has commenced internal administrative processes to determine the culpability or otherwise of her staff for which applicable Public Service Rules would be applied.

“The issue of degree mills institutions, i.e institutions that exist on paper or operate in clandestine manner outside the control of regulators is a global problem that all countries grapple with.

“FME has been contending with the problem including illegal institutions located abroad or at home preying on unsuspecting, innocent Nigerians and some desperate Nigerians who deliberately patronize such outlets. Periodically, warnings have been issued by the Ministry and NUC against the resort to such institutions and in some instances, reports made to security agencies to clamp down on the perpetrators.

“The ministry will continue to review its strategy to plug any loopholes, processes and procedures and deal decisively with any conniving officials,” the statement added.

https://leadership.ng/breaking-federal-govt-suspends-accreditation-of-degree-certificates-from-benin-togo/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by HarunaWest(m): 1:06pm On Jan 02
Nice move from the Federal Government. I always doubted the credibility of those countries certificates. All officials involved should be thoroughly investigated. Anyone found culpable should be jailed sharperly.

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by atiku4President(m): 1:08pm On Jan 02
They are waking up late, though

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Irupetepete: 1:13pm On Jan 02
Una Sha later cast this update

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Edoreborn: 4:01pm On Jan 02
Ok
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by ATEAMS: 4:01pm On Jan 02
Long overdue....

Since 2000

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Bendeco2020: 4:01pm On Jan 02
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Kingbenn(m): 4:02pm On Jan 02
I'm not trying to bad-mouth those countries oh but believe me you, most of their products are rubbish. I've had different encounters with many of them and the turnout is below par.

It's high time the FG step up their game as well, if we have good schools here, many of our youths won't run to these countries for that nonsense. What am I even saying self? Am I making any sense at all? DJ, please play me Am I normal by Micheal Jackson featuring Tinubu and APC.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by princemillla(m): 4:02pm On Jan 02
Necessary! Anything Benin republic must b corrupt.

Supplied some events items to that countries for their presidential inauguration years back. I paid alot of money to their border police.

I saw lawlessness first hand. Getting back my items was very tideous as the items I supplied on rent was paid for to b purchased.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by FitCorper: 4:02pm On Jan 02
Education must remain sacrosanct in this country. All these money bought degrees ought to be flushed out of the system entirely.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by prophetic69(m): 4:03pm On Jan 02
From this report schools in Cotonou is not the main problem here but our system.... imagine registering for NYSC multiple times.. kai and I dey unemployed since I finished my service, by now I for dey serve for the 5th time now dey collect allawi hold body....now the update don caste

Immigration and ministry of education should first be investigated and the NYSC scheme itself.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by sheungeek(m): 4:03pm On Jan 02
They should investigate well o.
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by blaquemyc: 4:03pm On Jan 02
Good

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Haryour12(m): 4:03pm On Jan 02
cheesy
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by McLizbae: 4:03pm On Jan 02
Na so!
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by NaughtyBrainiac: 4:03pm On Jan 02
Right from time, I have never taken Nigerians with degrees from Benin Universities seriously.

Like WTF!

You couldn't secure Admission in First class Universities, Second Class Universities, Third Class Universities and even some Fourth Class Universities in Nigeria, Na only Benin you come see Admission. Well done sir, well done ma 👏

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Haryour12(m): 4:03pm On Jan 02
What will happen to those already parading certificates from varsities in both countries?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by latonione: 4:04pm On Jan 02
This investigative journalism is one of the best I heard of that wants to heal the society of ills. Great job keep it up. And all certificates from affected school should be re scrutinized. Fake people always see others as fake

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Donaldoni: 4:04pm On Jan 02
Nice one

I was almost brought to tears by the report of the undercover journalist angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Komu1048(m): 4:04pm On Jan 02
During NYSC a lot of fake Benin Uni graduate that can’t take secondary school student were exposed. I don’t believe in those schools abeg

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by atobs4real(m): 4:05pm On Jan 02
such people will now the legit graduates go thru hell due to this news.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by richiemcgold: 4:06pm On Jan 02
As if they were not aware of the so-called nefarious activities. They're taking action now because of the investigative report not because they weren't aware before.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Hollyharjii: 4:06pm On Jan 02
K
Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Dpharisee: 4:06pm On Jan 02
I hope its not that university owned by Asari Dokubo in Benin Republic built from his oil bunkering money

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by atobs4real(m): 4:07pm On Jan 02
those back door certificate people will now make the legit graduates go thru hell due to this news.

5 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by 5ThChild: 4:07pm On Jan 02
This should have been done since 2016.
All those coprers with certificates from Togo and Benin can't even defend shit

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by sammyj: 4:07pm On Jan 02
The country has been led by these chop-i-chop universities. Thanks to the journalist and the news media for opening up the can of worms and rot in that system. Both NUC and NYSC need to sit tight and scrutinise other universities within and outside the country engaging in this act. Anyway, it is better late than never for the FG to suspend these schools. shocked

8 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by stano2(m): 4:08pm On Jan 02
Person wey go school for Benin don't know the road to her school whe she was asked.

Certificate buying common there

13 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by phemmie06(m): 4:08pm On Jan 02
The rot in our education led people there. People are looking for every means to be a graduate. Our tuition fee couple with strike are the major cause

6 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Newton2024: 4:09pm On Jan 02
The suspension followed an investigative report by an online newspaper, which unravelled a Cotonou-based University, which issued a degree certificate to an undercover Journalist within six weeks.
I thought they won't acknowledge the investigative journalist who opened their nyash. What about the complicity of immigration officers, ministry of education officers and NYSC staff?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by Wizuman: 4:10pm On Jan 02
Hundugbe degree mill

7 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Accreditation Of Degree Certificates From Benin, Togo by NEIGHBOUR(m): 4:10pm On Jan 02
HarunaWest:
Nice move from the Federal Government. I always doubted the credibility or those countries certificates. All officials involved should be thoroughly investigated. Anyone found culpable should be jailed sharperly.

I was shocked when I read the application letter of a guy who claimed to have graduated from one of those schools in Togo and already finished the NYSC. So sad.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? / Covenant University Sets Aside N4 Billion For International Staff Recruitment / OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.