Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC (28552 Views)

No NYSC Mobilisation Soon - Director-General, Shuaibu / NYSC 2019 Batch 'A' Mobilisation Time Table / NYSC 2018: Batch B Mobilisation Might Be June - Comrade Goodluck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by SoNature(m): 1:52pm On Jan 04
The National Youth Service Corps Scheme, NYSC, has explained how an undercover reporter, who had earlier been mobilised for the compulsory one-year programme in 2019 was mobilised for the same programme in 2023.

Speaking on a Channels Television programme on Thursday, the Director of Public Affairs, NYSC, Mr Eddy Megwa, said the reporter changed his email address and phone number to be drafted again into the scheme.

It is not that we don’t have checks and balances in place to detect possible breaches of the system. When the undercover reporter first put in his data, the system rejected him because he had served in the scheme before. He later changed his email address and his phone number which made the system to accept him. And he was initially posted to Osun State.

He did that because he was out for a particular purpose. We are looking at the situation and ensure that it does not happen again. We don’t have a database of graduates to serve in the scheme. We only rely on the lists sent to us by the Senates of the various universities, stating the number of graduates to expect from them,
” he said.

Though Megwa said the use of the National Identification Number, NIN, was incorporated into the scheme three years ago, he was unable to explain why the differences in the reporter’s biodata in NIN and what the reporter put in for his second mobilisation were not enough to raise a flag for the scheme to detect him.

Asked what step the scheme takes to ascertain whether people with foreign certificates are qualified to take part in the scheme, Megwa said, ”It is not our duty to assess their certificates, but we have resorted to inviting foreign students and giving them test to know their abilities.

”In the course of doing that, we have made startling discoveries. Ask some of them to write a simple essay, you will be surprised at what you get. I have some of such materials that I can show you. NYSC is an elite scheme, not for illiterates and the means of communication is English Language.

In 2006, the then DG of NYSC, Brig.- Gen. Yusuf Momoh, went to an orientation camp and asked a supposed corps member the title of his final project, the answer he gave was incredulous and further investigation revealed that his name was smuggled into the list of graduates from a particular university.”

Megwa added that the scheme was collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Education, Foreign Affairs Ministry and other agencies to track people going for foreign studies and when they come back with their certificates.

Meanwhile, the President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, in the Republic of Benin, Okechukwu Favour, has appealed to the Federal Government to have a rethink on the blanket ban on certificates and degrees from higher institutions in that country. Favour, who also appeared on the television show, said the fate of over 15,000 Nigerian students in Benin Republic is hanging in the balance.

“We have over 15,000 Nigerians studying in that country alone. The ban will affect legitimate students who are at various levels of their studies. We are not saying the government should not punish anybody who has engaged in criminal acts, but it is not in all the universities that such a thing is happening.

“Also, it is not all the students that are involved in such terrible acts. While one agrees that the undercover reporter has helped to expose some misdeeds, he also breached certain conventions in the process. Our appeal is that let the guilty ones be punished, spare the innocent, ” he stated.

Recall that the Federal Government has slammed a ban on graduates from some foreign universities following the expose by a reporter that he was able to get a degree from a university in Benin Republic within six weeks and was even mobilised for the NYSC one year programme.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, SAN, said a committee has been set up to appraise the whole system of accrediting foreign universities and assessing their certificates.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/mobilisation-how-undercover-reporter-breached-our-system-to-enrol-twice-nysc/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by SoNature(m): 1:54pm On Jan 04
Excuses upon excuses! Public service in Nigeria is not designed to attract the best brains. People just come to work to gist and devise means of stealing from the state and nobody takes responsibility.

No country grows with that kind of mentality. Countries grow due to patriotism - something that has remained a mirage in Nigeria. Nigérians, irrespective of tribe, don't love this country.

150 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Nbote(m): 1:56pm On Jan 04
Typical useless Nigerian systems that will never accept responsibility. How exactly did he breach your useless system?? During my service year I had a roommate who was coming for service for the second time

92 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by LUGBE: 2:03pm On Jan 04
Nysc, Nigeria hmmmmm lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by illicit(m): 2:03pm On Jan 04
So what's the point of finger printing?

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Pussyisgud: 2:04pm On Jan 04
Lol, na normal thing na, i have 3 different sim cards registered with 3 different NINs, one is my real phone number, while the other remaining 2 sim cards i bought them pre-registered with someone else's NIN.
Do you know how many email addresses i have?
I've lost count, i just dey laugh nairaland mods. Me keh.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Commissiona(m): 2:10pm On Jan 04
Nigeria my country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Franklyspeakin: 2:20pm On Jan 04
Interesting
Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by MrProlific95: 2:24pm On Jan 04
bullshit
Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Wisdomkosi(m): 2:24pm On Jan 04
So no data base? What's the need for thumbprinting if Fraud and irregularities cannot be discovered via that method? It's crystal clear that the Thumbprinting process is just for fun.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by psucc(m): 2:27pm On Jan 04
If email and phone number are the only security NYSC has to prevent multiple enrollment then very sorry, Nigeria is a failure.

Why not use the BVN or NIN? These 2 including fingerprint will do,.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Ireportlive: 2:28pm On Jan 04
cool

There was no breach

In all database, the owners set a field to flag data duplication

In the case of NYSC Email and Phone number was used

There are many people with the same first and last name in Nigeria

The guy simply used another phone number

Does it make sense if NYSC calls you everytime someone with your Surname and Last name Registers

PS: If you don't know how SQL works, or what a database and what primary key is please stop qouting me

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by pongwa(m): 2:35pm On Jan 04
SoNature:
The National Youth Service Corps Scheme, NYSC, has explained how an undercover reporter, who had earlier been mobilised for the compulsory one-year programme in 2019 was mobilised for the same programme in 2023.

Speaking on a Channels Television programme on Thursday, the Director of Public Affairs, NYSC, Mr Eddy Megwa, said the reporter changed his email address and phone number to be drafted again into the scheme.

“It is not that we don’t have checks and balances in place to detect possible breaches of the system. When the undercover reporter first put in his data, the system rejected him because he had served in the scheme before. He later changed his email address and his phone number which made the system to accept him. And he was initially posted to Osun State.

“He did that because he was out for a particular purpose. We are looking at the situation and ensure that it does not happen again. We don’t have a database of graduates to serve in the scheme. We only rely on the lists sent to us by the Senates of the various universities, stating the number of graduates to expect from them,” he said.

Though Megwa said the use of the National Identification Number, NIN, was incorporated into the scheme three years ago, he was unable to explain why the differences in the reporter’s biodata in NIN and what the reporter put in for his second mobilisation were not enough to raise a flag for the scheme to detect him.

Asked what step the scheme takes to ascertain whether people with foreign certificates are qualified to take part in the scheme, Megwa said, ” It is not our duty to assess their certificates, but we have resorted to inviting foreign students and giving them test to know their abilities.

” In the course of doing that, we have made startling discoveries. Ask some of them to write a simple essay, you will be surprised at what you get. I have some of such materials that I can show you. NYSC is an elite scheme, not for illiterates and the means of communication is English Language.

In 2006, the then DG of NYSC, Brig.- Gen. Yusuf Momoh, went to an orientation camp and asked a supposed corps member the title of his final project, the answer he gave was incredulous and further investigation revealed that his name was smuggled into the list of graduates from a particular university.”

Megwa added that the scheme was collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Education, Foreign Affairs Ministry and other agencies to track people going for foreign studies and when they come back with their certificates.

Meanwhile, the President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, in the Republic of Benin, Okechukwu Favour, has appealed to the Federal Government to have a rethink on the blanket ban on certificates and degrees from higher institutions in that country. Favour, who also appeared on the television show, said the fate of over 15,000 Nigerian students in Benin Republic is hanging in the balance.

“We have over 15,000 Nigerians studying in that country alone. The ban will affect legitimate students who are at various levels of their studies. We are not saying the government should not punish anybody who has engaged in criminal acts, but it is not in all the universities that such a thing is happening.

“Also, it is not all the students that are involved in such terrible acts. While one agrees that the undercover reporter has helped to expose some misdeeds, he also breached certain conventions in the process. Our appeal is that let the guilty ones be punished, spare the innocent, ” he stated.

Recall that the Federal Government has slammed a ban on graduates from some foreign universities following the expose by a reporter that he was able to get a degree from a university in Benin Republic within six weeks and was even mobilised for the NYSC one year programme.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, SAN, said a committee has been set up to appraise the whole system of accrediting foreign universities and assessing their certificates.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/01/mobilisation-how-undercover-reporter-breached-our-system-to-enrol-twice-nysc/
nonsense! No excuse you failed a very important integrity task

13 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Prokaryote: 2:50pm On Jan 04
Bad system, bad Data collation... Nigeria is a cruise

8 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by WhisperedNoise: 2:53pm On Jan 04
NYSC = SCAM

6 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 2:54pm On Jan 04
NYSC could have solved this with biometrics.

“It is not that we don’t have checks and balances in place to detect possible breaches of the system. When the undercover reporter first put in his data, the system rejected him because he had served in the scheme before. He later changed his email address and his phone number which made the system to accept him. And he was initially posted to Osun State

If there was a biometric system in place, the reporter would have had no chance. He could change his number and phone several times, it won't work.

Time NNPC instituted a biometric system...like the banks.

6 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by ekineme: 2:57pm On Jan 04
Ireportlive:
cool

There was no breach

In the case of NYSC Email and Phone number was used.

Does it make sense if NYSC calls you every time someone with your Surname and Last name Registers

I was thinking you are a learned person, Wisdom demand you keep silent in subject beyond your comprehension.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 2:59pm On Jan 04
Ireportlive:
cool

There was no breach

Does it make sense if NYSC calls you everytime someone with your Surname and Last name Registers

That's why NYSC has to use biometrics.

3 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by ijustdey: 3:29pm On Jan 04
Cc Nlfpmod
Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:45pm On Jan 04
NYSC, una go explain explain explain taya...

abeg somebody help me dat burnaboy meme

cool

2 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by ImoleNaija: 3:46pm On Jan 04
Some scammers or unemployed graduates go be like:

Yearly allowee wey we dey take hold body, e reach your turn, you block am. grin

That reporter needs security.

5 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by honour7: 3:47pm On Jan 04
Ireportlive:
cool

There was no breach

That is the more reason they would have added nin to the mix and have a separate data base that compares the name on the nin with one registered with Nysc to confirm they match.

5 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Mosba: 3:47pm On Jan 04
NYSC on mission Safe the Face.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by LordBEGGINSTEIN: 3:47pm On Jan 04
Nbote:
Typical useless Nigerian systems that will never accept responsibility. How exactly did he breach your useless system?? During my service year I had a roommate who was coming for service for the second time
Who the hell waste their one whole year twice to do NYSC twice.

The reporter na mumu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Nicepoker(m): 3:47pm On Jan 04
They should just quietly fix their loopholes rather than disgracing themselves

9 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by ecolime(m): 3:47pm On Jan 04

I knew they were gonna come for the guy's head and make it look like some sort of data breach.

It is not a crime to have multiple emails or phone numbers. The main problem is that your platform accepted the same NIN twice.

If the guy used a different name and also a fake date of birth then you can prosecute him for data manipulation.

Email/Phone number is not a standard means of verifying one's biodata. The NIN & Biometrics you are taking are not used as expected.

Fix your system Oga.

7 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by Commandeer(m): 3:48pm On Jan 04
Wahala no dey finish
Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by abba190: 3:48pm On Jan 04
how i wish i can breach your system and be getting enrolled for nysc every year. so that i will be earning the 33k and end my relationship with sapa

5 Likes

Re: Mobilisation: How Undercover Reporter Breached Our System To Enrol Twice – NYSC by eedimo(m): 3:48pm On Jan 04
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Open Letter To The Director General NYSC By A Stream 2 Prospective Corp Member. / NYSC Redeployment: Female Corper Was Scammed (Screenshots) / My Passing Out Banta.... Drop Your Goodwill Messages.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.