Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! (1220 Views)

Previously Unseen Benin Bronzes Resurface Around Europe And USA! / Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 / British Museum Offers To Loan Stolen Benin Bronzes To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:03pm On Jan 06
British Looted Benin Bronzes from the Palace of the Oba of Benin, Dated from the 10th Century, Resurfacing In Europe!

The British invaded and burned down the great city of Benin in 1897. They also burned the massive palace and looted its Bronze treasures, which are now resurfacing around the world, from Germany to Sweden to Holland to USA and Canada!

It is widely believed that numerous Benin Bronzes are still hidden in vaults in major European capitals, with many sold in private auctions for millions of dollars.

The Benin Empire is recognised universally as one of Africa's greatest pre-colonial civilisations.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:04pm On Jan 06

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:04pm On Jan 06

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:05pm On Jan 06

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Raskimonojendor: 6:06pm On Jan 06
So wi pe oti lo
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:08pm On Jan 06
Benin City, 1600s, as painted by ancient Dutch visitor, Olfert Dapper

Royal Palace of the Oba of Benin, before British destruction, dated 13th century

“These works from Benin are equal to the very finest examples of European casting technique,” wrote Professor Felix von Luschan, formerly of the Berlin Ethnological Museum. “Benvenuto Celini could not have cast them better, nor could anyone else before or after him. Technically, these bronzes represent the very highest possible achievement.”

- UK Guardian Newspapers
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

2 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by OVB123: 6:10pm On Jan 06
It shall never be well with white men, they destroyed our city and left us with useless 'democracy' that breeded corruption in africa's society. God will punish them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by ElSudani: 6:13pm On Jan 06
Beautiful stuff.

2 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:15pm On Jan 06
OVB123:
It shall never be well with white men, they destroyed our city and left us with useless 'democracy' that breeded corruption in africa's society. God will punish them.

So-called democracy is a scam.

4 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:20pm On Jan 06
ElSudani:
Beautiful stuff.

What really gets me in those Benin Bronzes is the technical sophistication and attention to detail of the works, considering they were made up to a thousand years ago or more.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Annnabel001(f): 6:30pm On Jan 06
It's incredible to see these previously unseen Benin Bronzes resurface after all these years!"
"What a remarkable discovery! The return of the Benin Bronzes to Europe and America is a significant moment for cultural heritage."
"These Benin Bronzes hold immense historical and artistic value, and it's wonderful that they are finally being recognized and given the attention they deserve."
"The resurfacing of the Benin Bronzes presents an opportunity to learn more about the ancient civilization and cultural traditions of Benin."
"This rediscovery offers a chance to revisit our understanding of African art and solidify the significance of the Benin Bronzes in the global art community."
"The emergence of these previously unknown Benin Bronzes highlights the importance of continued efforts to repatriate stolen cultural artifacts."

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by ElSudani: 6:40pm On Jan 06
Kushites:

What really gets me in those Benin Bronzes is the technical sophistication and attention to detail of the works, considering they were made up to a thousand years ago or more.

The reason why the white people stole them.

2 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 6:49pm On Jan 06
ElSudani:

The reason why the white people stole them.

And they proudly display them in their museums to say ''Yes, we stole them!'' With no shame. Sick people.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 7:03pm On Jan 06
This is front page material. wink

Mods, how far?

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by MasterJayJay: 7:07pm On Jan 06
OVB123:
How is God punishing them? Your people are rushing to japa to where you want God to curse.

2 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 7:11pm On Jan 06
MasterJayJay:

How is God punishing them?

He did not say God is punishing them.

He said God WILL punish them.

Don't twist his words.

Your people are rushing to japa to where you want God to curse.

WHY should they not rush to where their stolen wealth is deposited and even displayed in public museums?

They have EVERY RIGHT ON EARTH to Japa.
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:13pm On Jan 06
Check out the intricate designs and master workmanship of those works! Big kudos to the ancestors!

If u want to see senseless art, just visit a typical modern European museum,

Lady with a Fan
Gustav Klimt's final portrait, "Lady with a Fan," sold for a record-breaking $108.4 million.

3 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by opamoses1: 7:13pm On Jan 06
If they get returned back to Nigeria, they would be restolen and then find their way back to the homes of millionaires and billionaires in Europe instead of public museum.

It happened I think in the 1980s.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 7:15pm On Jan 06
opamoses1:
If they get returned back to Nigeria, they would be restolen and then find their way back to the homes of millionaires and billionaires in Europe instead of public museum.

SHUT UP AND STOP TALKING RUBBISH.

The Palace of the Oba of Benin, from where those treasures were stolen, is not a place where ancient treasures are stolen and sent to Europe.

How dare you?

Even today a massive new museum is under construction in Benin City to house newly returned Benin treasures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by lordm(m): 7:16pm On Jan 06
They stole our heritage.

3 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by opamoses1: 7:17pm On Jan 06
Kushites:

SHUT UP AND STOP TALKING RUBBISH.

The Palace of the Oba of Benin, from where those treasures were stolen, is not a place where ancient treasures are stolen and sent to Europe.

How dare you?

The truth is bitter. It would get stolen again and returned to Europe like the ones stolen in Jos in 1987.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by adamusuleiman1: 7:19pm On Jan 06
opamoses1:

The truth is bitter. It would get stolen again and returned to Europe like the ones stolen in Jos in 1987.
I remember that story when you mentioned Jos. I think the Belgian held on to them and the Belgian court ruled in the Belgian's favour.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:20pm On Jan 06
opamoses1:

But it didn't use to be like that! That is why there are tens of thousands on these arts everywhere!

Something terrible happened to us and we started hating anything that reminds us of who we used to be, religion and miseducation are the biggest culprits
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by MasterJayJay: 7:25pm On Jan 06
Kushites:

He did not say God is punishing them.

He said God WILL punish them.

Don't twist his words.

WHY should they not rush to where their stolen wealth is deposited and even displayed in public museums?

They have EVERY RIGHT ON EARTH to Japa.

The people that took Africa's treasures have all died.
Stop sending ridiculous prayer requests to God. You want God to punish someone that is already dead? Hian!

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by adamusuleiman1: 7:27pm On Jan 06
opamoses1:

I did some googling. The two heads below are still in the hand of that Belgian till date. The guy has refused to return it. I would prefer to go and check these artifacts in a museum instead of it being locked away on someone's private residence.

The whereabouts of some others are not even known. Disappeared forever due to some thievery by some Nigerians in Jos. Those missing ones are most likely in the living room of an European millionaire.

2 Likes

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Zaheertyler(m): 7:28pm On Jan 06
Wetin this people been dey carve??
Humans??
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 7:30pm On Jan 06
adamusuleiman1:

I remember that story when you mentioned Jos. I think the Belgian held on to them and the Belgian court ruled in the Belgian's favour.

So, that an aretfact was stolen in 1987, ie 37 years ago, means the British should hold on to our treasures?

Do you think nothing has ever been stolen from British museums?

Read Here:

British Museum told to keep better records after theft of 1,500 items

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/dec/12/british-museum-told-to-keep-better-records-after-theft-of-1500-items

So, BRITAIN SHOULD RETURN OUR TREASURES SINCE 1,500 TREASURES GOT STOLEN FROM THEIR MUSEUM, AND THEY CAN'T MAINTAIN OR PROTECT THE TREASURES.
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by adamusuleiman1: 7:31pm On Jan 06
Kushites:

So that an aretfact was stolen in 1987 - 40 years ago, means the British should hold on to our treasures?

Do you think nothing has ever been stolen from British museums?

Read Here:

British Museum told to keep better records after theft of 1,500 items

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/dec/12/british-museum-told-to-keep-better-records-after-theft-of-1500-items

So, BRITAIN SHOULD RETURN OUR TREASURES SINCE 1,500 TREASURES GOT STOLEN FROM THEIR MUSEUM, AND THEY CAN'T MAINTAIN IT.
I am not against their return.
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Kushites: 7:32pm On Jan 06
adamusuleiman1:

I am not against their return.

Ok.. wink
Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by Golan007: 7:36pm On Jan 06
opamoses1:

You have no pride in yourself.

Low self-esteem.

1 Like

Re: Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! by opamoses1: 7:45pm On Jan 06
Golan007:

You have no pride in yourself.

Low self extreme.
I can afford to visit London or any museum in the world that the artworks are located.

But I can't afford to check them out when they are locked up in the private residences of European millionaires and billionaires.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

SEX TOPIc . . . Please place in correct section! / Jpg Alternative / Who Want Test The Heavy Weight Champion For Corel Draw!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.