Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 (357 Views)

Nissan Altima Issue - P1777 / Having Issues With Your Car AC ,lets Discuss It Here / Is There A Peculiar Problem With Nissan Murano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by lovinhubby2wife(m): 8:59am On Jan 10
Hello everyone, you guys are amazing here.
Please my Nissan Altima 2002 is throwing this code:

P0745
Raw code: 0745
ECU: 10
Transmission fluid pressure (TFP) solenoid - circuit malfunction
Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction

The reason why I scanned it was because it jerks each time I engage the gear from park to drive to reverse, the car jerks slightly. Also when I step on the theto the car revs then jerks before engaging. It's quite annoying.

I got the car recently by the way. Everything else works great.

I took it to a mechanic here in Benin and they said I should get a new gear box which will cost me over 150k. They said they don't recommend working on the transmission.

Will getting a new gear box fix this issue? Or should I just sell the car off and count my losses? I have heard horrible stories of transmission/gearbox nightmares
Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by Resetinc: 9:11am On Jan 10

If na 2nd hand you buy there’s no doubt in my mind the gear problem was the reason the owner sold it.

Let me give you a little tip … test the gear early in the morning when the engine is cool you will notice the jerking is at its minimal … but drive some kilometers make the engine hot well well you will notice an increase in the jerking….

The very annoying (almost heartbreaking) jerking occurs when you stop during a ride, shift the stick to idle then shift it back to drive …. It delays for seconds before engaging with a very disturbing jerk.

I am not a mechanic, but Nissan maxima taught me a very bitter lesson.

My best advice — change gear oil to reduce jerking sound, repackage the beast and sell it to the next victim 😂

Thank me later 😂😂

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by Chicagograduate(m): 10:33am On Jan 10
Car wahala.
Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by Requestmechanic: 3:08pm On Jan 10
lovinhubby2wife:
Hello everyone, you guys are amazing here.
Please my Nissan Altima 2002 is throwing this code:

P0745
Raw code: 0745
ECU: 10
Transmission fluid pressure (TFP) solenoid - circuit malfunction
Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction

The reason why I scanned it was because it jerks each time I engage the gear from park to drive to reverse, the car jerks slightly. Also when I step on the theto the car revs then jerks before engaging. It's quite annoying.

I took it to a mechanic here in Benin and they said I should get a new gear box which will cost me over 150k. They said they don't recommend working on the transmission.

Will getting a new gear box fix this issue? Or should I just sell the car off and count my losses? I have heard horrible stories of transmission/gearbox nightmares

If you're in Lagos contact roadside assistant by going to www.requestmechanic.com click the red circle "click on Request Now" button to get immediate assistance . Also enter your email to join the waitlist bar by clicking on join the the Wait list.

Here's a breakdown of the code and potential causes, along with recommended steps:

Code P0745:

Meaning: Indicates a problem with the transmission fluid pressure (TFP) solenoid circuit. This solenoid regulates fluid pressure within the transmission, crucial for smooth shifting.
Symptoms:

Jerking or harsh shifting between gears
Delayed engagement when starting from a stop
Slipping gears
Check Engine Light illumination
Potential Causes:

Faulty TFP solenoid: The solenoid itself may be malfunctioning, requiring replacement.
Wiring issues: Damaged or corroded wiring to the solenoid can disrupt signals.
Low transmission fluid: Insufficient fluid can cause pressure problems.
Clogged transmission filter: A clogged filter can restrict fluid flow, affecting pressure.
Internal transmission problems: In rare cases, more severe internal transmission issues might be the culprit.
Recommended Actions:

Check transmission fluid level: Ensure it's at the correct level and condition. Add fluid if necessary.
Inspect wiring and connectors: Look for any signs of damage or corrosion and address them.
Clear the code and retest: Use an OBD-II scanner to clear the code and see if it returns.
Consult a qualified mechanic: If the code persists or symptoms worsen, seek professional diagnosis and repairs.
Additional Information:

Drop resistor: Some Nissan Altimas have a drop resistor for the TFP solenoid, which can also fail. Have a mechanic check it.
Transmission fluid flush: If fluid is old or contaminated, a flush might be recommended.
Remember: Driving with transmission problems can lead to further damage and costly repairs. It's crucial to address the issue promptly.
Thank you as you put in your mail on our waitlist 🙏

Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by lovinhubby2wife(m): 4:52pm On Jan 10
Resetinc:

If na 2nd hand you buy there’s no doubt in my mind the gear problem was the reason the owner sold it.

Let me give you a little tip … test the gear early in the morning when the engine is cool you will notice the jerking is at its minimal … but drive some kilometers make the engine hot well well you will notice an increase in the jerking….

The very annoying (almost heartbreaking) jerking occurs when you stop during a ride, shift the stick to idle then shift it back to drive …. It delays for seconds before engaging with a very disturbing jerk.

I am not a mechanic, but Nissan maxima taught me a very bitter lesson.

My best advice — change gear oil to reduce jerking sound, repackage the beast and sell it to the next victim 😂

Thank me later 😂😂

In the morning the jerking is very minimal almost non-existent. But the jerking increases as I begin to cover more distance. You are very correct about this.

Na one chance I done enter like this be that. Last week it went into limp mode, that is it refused to move from gear one and won't rev, I stepped on the gas repeatedly, it still won't respond. Everything works great in the car.

1 Like

Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by lovinhubby2wife(m): 4:55pm On Jan 10
The former owner lives in US, that's what he drives whenever he's in town, he stopped visiting naija like four years now, so they told his brother to sell it off. I bought it from the guy, I don't know if this story is even true self.
The man who sold it to me, drives an Audi 80. Maybe he's unaware of the problem sha... But I doubt.
Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by Resetinc: 5:28pm On Jan 10
lovinhubby2wife:

In the morning the jerking is very minimal almost non-existent. But the jerking increases as I begin to cover more distance. You are very correct about this.

Na one chance I done enter like this be that. Last week it went into limp mode, that is it refused to move from gear one and won't rev, I stepped on the gas repeatedly, it still won't respond. Everything works great in the car.

I’ve been there bro , the car is a moving object when it comes to speed, the boose sound system is from another planet, spacious and very comfortable cabin… but it’s a nightmare
Re: Gearbox Issues With Nissan Altima 2002 by xperiencelove(m): 7:27pm On Jan 10
lovinhubby2wife:
The former owner lives in US, that's what he drives whenever he's in town, he stopped visiting naija like four years now, so they told his brother to sell it off. I bought it from the guy, I don't know if this story is even true self.
The man who sold it to me, drives an Audi 80. Maybe he's unaware of the problem sha... But I doubt.

When you hear a story like this, most times it is a big lie! They are mostly selling off a nightmare to the next victim. The owner might be looking at you when you are negotiating with the frontrunner.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Foreign Used Toyota Camry (2012 Sport Edition) / Kia Rio 2012 Manual / Urgent Need: Matrix 04

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.