Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,294 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties (15387 Views)

Food Security: AATF Delivers Transgenic Maize Varieties To African Farmers / Tomato Scarcity Looms As FG Approves Importation For Nine Companies / Phillippines Approves Commercial Production Of Genetically-modified Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 11:03am On Jan 12
Nigeria Approves Commercial Release of GM Maize Varieties

Chibuzor Emejor On Jan 12, 2024

The Federal government of Nigeria has approved the commercial release of transgenic insect-resistant and drought-tolerant maize varieties, known as TELA maize.

The approval was granted by the National Committee on Naming, Registration and Release of Crop Varieties, Livestock Breeds/Fisheries (NCNRRCVLF) headed by Prof Olusoji Olufajo at its 37th meeting at the National Centre for Genetic Resources and Biotechnology (NACGRAB), Ibadan on January 11, 2024.

A statement on Friday explained that the four varieties approved by the NVRC are, SAMMAZ 72T, SAMMAZ 73T, SAMMAZ 74T, and SAMMAZ 75T.

The new maize varieties are drought tolerant and are resistant to stem-borer and fall armyworm resulting in a yield advantage of up to 10 tonnes per hectare under good agronomic practices.

The national average for similar hybrids is 6 tonnes per hectare. The varieties are suitable for Rain Forest, Guinea, and Sudan Savannas.

Stem borers reduce maize production in several countries in Africa, while fall armyworms can destroy up to 20 million metric tons of maize in Africa each year, enough to feed 100 million people.

The release and registration of the four varieties followed environmental release approval in October 2021 granted by the National Biosafety Management Agency (NBMA).

Development of the improved varieties was led by the Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR) Samaru, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria through the TELA Maize Public-Private Partnership coordinated by AATF.

The TELA Maize Project is currently being implemented in 5 countries – Ethiopia, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, and South Africa.

Prof Ado Yusuf, Executive Director, IAR expressed satisfaction with the release of the new four maize varieties saying, “IAR is very proud of our scientists who are addressing the maize productivity challenges in the country and beyond.

“These varieties have undergone thorough research and have been developed using the tools of biotechnology over several years of continuous testing and revalidation.”

Dr Canisius Kanangire, Executive Director of the African Agricultural Technology Foundation(AATF) said, “The release of TELA Maize in Nigeria will contribute to food and nutrition security in line with the Federal Government’s Agricultural Transformation agenda.

“AATF reaffirms unwavering commitment to addressing challenges faced by farmers across the continent.”

Professor Garba Sharubutu, the Executive Secretary, of the Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN), said the approval of the TELA Maize variety in Nigeria is a critical milestone that confirms the potential of biotechnology in ensuring food and nutrition security, and improved livelihood of farming households in Africa.

Prof. Mustapha Abdullahi, Director-General, of the National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA) celebrated the release saying that, with the advent of TELA Maize, farmers will reduce the use of pesticides on maize to the bare minimum which is beneficial to humans, livestock, and the environment.

Dr Sylvester Oikeh, the TELA Maize Project Manager celebrated the decision by Nigeria by calling on other countries in Africa to act for farmers.

“I am encouraged by this decision by the Federal Government of Nigeria that reflects their commitment to the needs of farmers.

“I congratulate the scientists for their hard work and dedication that has seen the product getting closer to farmers and look forward to other countries making similar decisions for the good of the farmer,” he said.

The other partners in the TELA Maize project include National Agricultural Research Institutes in Kenya, Mozambique, Ethiopia, and South Africa, the International Maize, and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), Bayer, with funding from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and USAID.

Source: https://independent.ng/nigeria-approves-commercial-release-of-gm-maize-varieties

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by pholar(m): 11:10am On Jan 12
Good one!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Dpharisee: 11:14am On Jan 12
Na all these Genetically Modified food dey follow cause increase in strange ailments like cancer.
Even many countries don't encourage GM products, we didn't have prevalence of cancers when we ate basic organic foods, it was sickness for rich people who thought that eating cornbeef instead of native chicken was a status symbol.

96 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by tutudesz: 11:23am On Jan 12
undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 11:53am On Jan 12
Dpharisee:
Na all these Genetically Modified food dey follow cause increase in strange ailments like cancer.
Even many countries don't encourage GM products, we didn't have prevalence of cancers when we ate basic organic foods, it was sickness for rich people who thought that eating cornbeef instead of native chicken was a status symbol.
almost every crop people around the world are eating are genetically modified.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Birdbyrde440: 12:08pm On Jan 12
Paraman:
almost every crop people around the world are eating are genetically modified.

Growing GM or involving in GM activities is considered a terrorist activity in Russia.

77 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 12:29pm On Jan 12
Birdbyrde440:

Growing GM or involving in GM activities is considered a terrorist activity in Russia.
Show me where you got this from. Such a news will be reported by major news outlets in Russia and around the world.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by CandidAdmin(m): 1:23pm On Jan 12
I don't trust anything that goes into the mouth coming from the west.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by lexylaw40: 1:31pm On Jan 12
Laws must be put enacted to protect our God made Organic crops. ...so Gmo crops will not take over 💯

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by lexylaw40: 1:31pm On Jan 12
It's a good development doh
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by lexylaw40: 1:32pm On Jan 12
I knew bill Gates was here for a reason

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by mrvitalis(m): 1:33pm On Jan 12
Finally something positive from APC

This is only step one

Step two

Make a provision of 50 billion available to banks
For seed companies to access at an interest rate nor more than 5% with a minimum of 10 years experience in the maize seeds productions industry

So they are make and produce this seeds for the common man

The world can be harvesting 12 tons per hectare while we harvest below 2 tons doesn't make any sense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by mrvitalis(m): 1:35pm On Jan 12
CandidAdmin:
I don't trust anything that goes into the mouth coming from the west.
Is corn native to Africa?

How about cassava is it native to Africa?

Oh wait what of potato

Oh and sweet potato?

How about plantain

Oh how about banana?

Did I forget oranges?

Mangos?

Pineapples

Bros if the West wanted us dead we would have been longed dead

Ask Argentina

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by CandidAdmin(m): 2:22pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:
Oh wait what of potato
Oh and sweet potato?
How about plantain
Oh how about banana?
Did I forget oranges?
Mangos?
Pineapples
Ask Argentina
I still don't trust them when it comes to food.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by mrvitalis(m): 2:49pm On Jan 12
CandidAdmin:

I still don't trust them when it comes to food.
The above listed food I mentioned who gave you the food?

You don't trust them because if they want you dead you won't be dead?

You import drugs and chemical from them but na food planted and harvested you dey fear?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 2:56pm On Jan 12
Paraman:
Show me where you got this from. Such a news will be reported by major news outlets in Russia and around the world.

He is correct. The Russian parliament passed a law about a decade ago, which makes growing GM food for anything other than research purposes an offence.

For disclosure: I am not anti-GMO advocate, although I draw the line with seedless crops.

Edit: Apologies, I used the wrong description in haste.
My problem is with terminator seeds, which can never give life again, and not seedless crops.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 2:57pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

Oh wait what of potato

Oh and sweet potato?

How about plantain

Oh how about banana?

Did I forget oranges?

Mangos?

Pineapples

Ask Argentina

I ain't adding nuthin'

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Zulu11zulu: 3:11pm On Jan 12
The people who allow this should be investigate they take millions of dollars bribes to feed Nigeria brigade poison

I trust my people south east will never plant that poison

The federal government should investigate the activities of some wite donor in Nigeria.,
The people want to control food security in Nigeria,

You think all this killing against the food basket of Nigeria is not sponsored by American criminals who want to destroy out God given food and impose thire poison on us

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by CandidAdmin(m): 3:20pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

The above listed food I mentioned who gave you the food?

You don't trust them because if they want you dead you won't be dead?

You import drugs and chemical from them but na food planted and harvested you dey fear?

Whatever sir!
My own is my own.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by mrvitalis(m): 3:22pm On Jan 12
CandidAdmin:

Whatever sir!
My own is my own.
What exactly is your own?
What do you produce?

They want you dead and you are not dead?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 3:28pm On Jan 12
Zulu11zulu:
The people who allow this should be invested the take millions of dollars bribes to feed Nigeria brigade poison

I trust my people south east will never plant that poison

The federal government should investigate the activities of some wite donor in Nigeria.,
The people want to control food security in Nigeria,

You think all this killing against the food basket of Nigeria is not sponsored by American criminals who want to destroy out God given food and impose thire poison on us

So what say you about the new varieties of cassava developed by Africa's foremost research institute for agriculture?

Nigerian farmers welcome new cassava varieties: ‘My joy knows no bounds’

...The cassava varieties approved for release — Game-Changer, Hope, Obasanjo-2, Baba-70 and Poundable — were developed by the National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI) and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), with support from NextGen Cassava, a project based in Cornell University’s Department of Global Development.

The five new varieties are meant to serve three different market segments: granulated and paste products (garri/fufu), cassava for industry (starch) and fresh market consumption, said Chiedozie Egesi, project lead for NextGen.

Dr. Chiedozie Egesi. Credit: Cornell

Source: https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2021/03/31/nigerian-farmers-welcome-new-cassava-varieties-my-joy-knows-no-bounds

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by MadamExcellency: 3:32pm On Jan 12
Beware of genetically modified foods.

Which colour is your favourite that will kill slower?

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by RenaissanceGuy: 3:36pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

What do you produce?
Must he be the one to have died? What if up to a million other people have died by eating GM foods which people are unaware of??

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by CandidAdmin(m): 3:38pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

What do you produce?

If they didn't want us dead, they won't give us... You know what I rest my case.

You win

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 3:38pm On Jan 12
DaddyJapan:

He is correct. The Russian parliament passed a law about a decade ago, which makes growing GM food for anything other than research purposes an offence.

For disclosure: I am not anti-GMO advocate, although I draw the line with seedless crops.
Show me your source

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by mrvitalis(m): 3:41pm On Jan 12
RenaissanceGuy:
Must he be the one to have died? What if up to a million other people have died by eating GM foods which people are unaware of??
If the Western world wants all Africans dead we won't survive it

We don't even produce our own drugs

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 3:42pm On Jan 12
Paraman:
Show me your source

I did not conjure up the point I made out of thin air, so you need to do some research of your own. cool

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 3:44pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

It is the familiar rant we get all the time.

Yet, Africa's population is growing at the fastest rate in the world right now.
Just the other day alone, Gombe state posted more than 400,000 lives births for 2023. Yet the indeterminate "they" and/or Bill Gates are killing us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So just one state recorded 424,304 live births in a single year?

For perspective, 605,749 live births were recorded in England and Wales in 2022. Yes, that's across two nations with a combined population of 60.2 million - and 15 times the population of Gombe state!

To be clear, estimates for the population of Gombe state range from 3,472,223 to 3,960,100, while official figures given for England and Wales is 60.2 million. Yet there are a lot of dim-witted commentators on NL who still insist Nigeria is being depopulated by Bill Gates! grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by RenaissanceGuy: 3:47pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

Did he say they want every single African to die? There's a secret and not so secret agenda to depopulate the world through biological, chemical or war means; and people like Bill Gates and other Western henchmen have said the world is too populated. It doesn't mean a whole continent will be wiped out at once.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 3:47pm On Jan 12
DaddyJapan:

I did not conjure up the point I made out of thin air, so you need to do some research of your own. cool

If you can't provide a source, then you made it out of thin air. GMO foods were not banned by Putin.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by DaddyJapan(m): 3:49pm On Jan 12
Paraman:
If you can't provide a source, then you made it out of thin air. GMO foods were not banned by Putin.

Suit yourself.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 3:51pm On Jan 12
DaddyJapan:

Suit yourself.
You shouldn't have wasted my time quoting me with your propaganda

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 / Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment / Hybrid Maize Seed Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.