Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties (15441 Views)

Food Security: AATF Delivers Transgenic Maize Varieties To African Farmers / Tomato Scarcity Looms As FG Approves Importation For Nine Companies / Phillippines Approves Commercial Production Of Genetically-modified Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by todugo(m): 8:50pm On Jan 12
🚨This is Bill Gate and Tinubu hand work to bring Genetically modified food to Nigeria Agriculture to kill us all with Cancer and depopulate the nation🤮🤮

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by MasterTeeUSA: 9:11pm On Jan 12
Population ...Demand and Supply...Without GMO, Organic will be more expensive. In Economics Class, substitutes drive down demand and price not the other way around.

Tohsynetita1:

The reason for organic being expensive is because of another option. If GMO isn't introduced, organic will be cheap. No be that organic we they eat before GMO came.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Paraman: 9:12pm On Jan 12
todugo:
hope you won't blame the government and Satan when you fall I'll to cancer
You're asking a dumb question
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by MasterTeeUSA: 9:12pm On Jan 12
Good enough for people to eat and survive on...the life expectancy is still high in sane countries with high GMO...same cannot be said about Nigeria or African countries with low GMO penetration.

BondRiv:

That's not the point.

GMOs are not good for human consumption.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by ScamDemicEra: 9:18pm On Jan 12
JuanDeDios:

So which media do you get your own Bill Gates lowdown from?

For someone who's called ScamDemic, you must be a strong following of CTs. Yes, I agree some conspiracy theories do turn out to have some merit - I can even cite a few. But most are just the figment of the imagination of people who seem to believe that if something is outrageous it must be true.

Why delete the Era in ScamDemic-Era ?
Nairaland na wah !!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tohsynetita1: 9:22pm On Jan 12
MasterTeeUSA:
Population ...Demand and Supply...Without GMO, Organic will be more expensive. In Economics Class, substitutes drive down demand and price not the other way around.

I still don't believe scarcity of Foods. Have you gone to a place to demand for food and you don't get due to Scarcity? And if their is scarcity, since the scarcity was caused by population, why can't government increase population of production and mandate everyone to farm? Most especially if you aren't employed.
Farming is very easy to practice alongside any job you are doing, most especially if you use machine. You don't need the whole of a day to plough anf plant an acre even if it's only you. With crazy machines existing now. If everyone has at least an acre, all this story will be avoided.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by CalmElder(m): 9:23pm On Jan 12
Paraman:
almost every crop people around the world are eating are genetically modified.

You are right, although genetically modified as a term is presently different from the one in time past.

GM now mean mass produced in laboratory or by non organic methods.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by JuanDeDios: 9:25pm On Jan 12
ScamDemicEra:

Why delete the Era in ScamDemic-Era ?
Nairaland na wah !!
Lol. Ok, you're ScamDemicEra. I'm not sure what that changes as per the point I made though.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by shaqhead: 9:43pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

Is corn native to Africa?

How about cassava is it native to Africa?

Oh wait what of potato

Oh and sweet potato?

How about plantain

Oh how about banana?

Did I forget oranges?

Mangos?

Pineapples

Bros if the West wanted us dead we would have been longed dead

Ask Argentina
Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but...my brother I told someone to kill Africans no hard abeg....that okrika smell alone is enough to kill us cheap cheap.
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Navigator14: 9:57pm On Jan 12
Little wonder they have been killing farmers across the country, it's a plot all along to control our food system, we must resist the modern form of western imperialism, GMOs are banned in majority of European countries now they want to turn Africa to cancer field, NEVER.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Navigator14: 9:59pm On Jan 12
The devil comes to steal, kill and destroy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by laivwire(m): 10:02pm On Jan 12
The map below tells a story

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by faceland: 10:14pm On Jan 12
mrvitalis:

Says someone that eats plantain, bananas, watermelon, corn, tomato, garden egg I can keep naming those are man made foods

They don't occur in nature at least not in the form you know them

I only know of banana and it is not a regular food... and of cause Irish-potatoes.

This new development would be in all our bread/snacks, masa, spaghetti, rice, semo (basically 80% of what we eat DAILY).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by saysoo: 10:50pm On Jan 12
Birdbyrde440:

Growing GM or involving in GM activities is considered a terrorist activity in Russia.
you dey mind that lost hope. Even in US, Gm crops can send one to jail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by MasterTeeUSA: 10:52pm On Jan 12
You are assuming in ideal situation...some areas have droughts, soil pollution, inadequate access and so on....like Lagos...it can't produce enough food to sustain the population hence everything is more expensive because of the population size and transportation...some countries can't feed themselves and organic farming can't produce enough to feed the world.

Tohsynetita1:
I still don't believe scarcity of Foods. Have you gone to a place to demand for food and you don't get due to Scarcity? And if their is scarcity, since the scarcity was caused by population, why can't government increase population of production and mandate everyone to farm? Most especially if you aren't employed.
Farming is very easy to practice alongside any job you are doing, most especially if you use machine. You don't need the whole of a day to plough anf plant an acre even if it's only you. With crazy machines existing now. If everyone has at least an acre, all this story will be avoided.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by themanderon: 11:00pm On Jan 12
A new generation of unknown diseases loading. Who knows the long term effect of consuming this? I don't trust Nigerian government officials as they can collect bribes and bring in rubbish. Mugabe once refused the Greek gift of gm maize when Zimbabwe had food crises some years ago.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:27pm On Jan 12
DaddyJapan:

He is correct. The Russian parliament passed a law about a decade ago, which makes growing GM food for anything other than research purposes an offence.

For disclosure: I am not anti-GMO advocate, although I draw the line with seedless crops.

Why don't you like seedless crops?
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Dybala11(m): 12:11am On Jan 13
DaddyJapan:

He is correct. The Russian parliament passed a law about a decade ago, which makes growing GM food for anything other than research purposes an offence.

For disclosure: I am not anti-GMO advocate, although I draw the line with seedless crops.
If you draw the line with seedless crops, then you hate bananas alot bah?
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Dybala11(m): 12:21am On Jan 13
ScamDemicEra:

Cultures have been borrowing/transferring seeds/crops from each other since beginning of cultures, even nature by itself through weather and continental shift does it.

This has no relevance to the GMO debate whatsoever !!!
Then you don't understand the topic of discussion, bananas that are seen in the wild have plenty seeds rendering them unfit for consumption. Guess how the banana we all have and love came to be like it is??
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by InvertedHammer: 12:54am On Jan 13
/
Good job outlook for Nigerian doctors.

Nigeria has no business with GM crops with arable lands that naturally littered the whole place.

/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Tabs101: 12:55am On Jan 13
Paraman:
Show me where you got this from. Such a news will be reported by major news outlets in Russia and around the world.

I live in Russia. It is true what Birdbyrde440 said GMos are banned in Russia except it is done for scientific purposes and even at that many regulatory authorities have to sanction and approve such experiments.
Now remember that Russia is a science giant themselves. Major scientists like the biologist Gregor Mendel who founded the idea of genetics and plant modifications itself and most of everything we know of in biology and medicine today, was a Russian!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by adioolayi(m): 1:28am On Jan 13
descartes400:

That's to say there's no food security in Russia because of their ban on GMO food right ? And they must be starving to death since they are unable to meet their population food demand.

https://www.allaboutfeed.net/market/market-trends/russia-to-continue-importing-gmo-soybeans-until-2023/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by keylogger(m): 1:38am On Jan 13
You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system(Enemy))that they will fight to protect it.” – Morpheus.

Y'all truth speakers, should stop arguing, there's no way you can make them see it, they have to see it themselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by IamAsiri: 2:30am On Jan 13
mrvitalis:

If the Western world wants all Africans dead we won't survive it

We don't even produce our own drugs

Unfortunately, they can't take radical actions; only subtle steps can be taken.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by ScamDemicEra: 2:31am On Jan 13
Dybala11:

Then you don't understand the topic of discussion, bananas that are seen in the wild have plenty seeds rendering them unfit for consumption. Guess how the banana we all have and love came to be like it is ??

None of the organic food fit for human consumption came by genetic engineering.

Check your facts, don't confuse genetic engineering with various traditional cross breeding agricultural techniques that has existed for thousand of years.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Truthshscrazy: 2:47am On Jan 13
Tabs101:

I live in Russia. It is true what Birdbyrde440 said GMos are banned in Russia except it is done for scientific purposes and even at that many regulatory authorities have to sanction and approve such experiments.
Now remember that Russia is a science giant themselves. Major scientists like the biologists Gregor Mendel who founded the idea of genetics and plant modifications itself and most of everything we know of in biology and medicine today, was a Russian!
Same here. Russian based nairalander also.
Russia is winning the GMO war .
In fact when it comes to GMO , Europe is better than USA .
Any food product with GMO must be appropriately labelled in Europe, so you will be the one making choice in what you consume.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Rolings: 3:02am On Jan 13
laivwire:
The map below tells a story

All countries with high population grows GM foods ,..means the technology is attractive to those with large population that have the greatest needs for food security
Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Rolings: 3:06am On Jan 13
MasterTeeUSA:
You are assuming in ideal situation...some areas have droughts, soil pollution, inadequate access and so on....like Lagos...it can't produce enough food to sustain the population hence everything is more expensive because of the population size and transportation...some countries can't feed themselves and organic farming can't produce enough to feed the world.

That's what people are not getting. These crops are developed for places that have lost or have reduced natural environment where food can grow and if humanity is not to go extinct as a result of lack of what to eat, GM foods Is the solution
And people are not even considering the greatest threat to food production - climate change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Kloenboi: 3:41am On Jan 13
mrvitalis:

If the Western world wants all Africans dead we won't survive it

We don't even produce our own drugs

You are not wise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by Invest4growth: 4:45am On Jan 13
Nobody is talking.to.us on the dangers of consuming GM corn directly or it's by products .There is something being hidden from.nigerians. All they are after is the Bil.Gates funding of the agricultural.sector. Everything they are saying.is increased yield per hectare. What of the preponderance to cancer, shortened life span, increased child mortality rate to.help.in the desire of the West to.control.our population growth.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by ScamDemicEra: 6:06am On Jan 13
keylogger:
You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system(Enemy))that they will fight to protect it.” – Morpheus.

Y'all truth speakers, should stop arguing, there's no way you can make them see it, they have to see it themselves.

WOW !!!
So wide awake in a sea of snoring nairaland sheeples, glad to see this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approves Commercial Release Of GM Maize Varieties by olawonder(m): 6:42am On Jan 13
They bowed to pressure las las! Later in the future we’ll start importing maize, that’s how most of our local products are destroyed and we start relying on imports… all na America’s handiwork!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 / Is It True That Grower Feed Slows Own The Growth Of Broiler? / Bad Roads Affecting The Sales Of Farm Produce [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.