Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Is Jesus God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jesus God? (980 Views)

Is Jesus God? – Logical Questions That Need Answers / Is Jesus God? / Is Jesus God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Jesus God? by dalebutt1: 7:17pm On Nov 05, 2011
I have spoken with many believers and some even some pastors cannot give a definate answer albeit am sure Jesus the man that walked the earth over two thousand years ago is God who created all of us, but am still staggered at the number of christians that still say jesus is simply the son of God and that he is not equal to God himself.

whats your understanding of the Trinity everyone?
Re: Is Jesus God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:29pm On Nov 05, 2011
DEVIL = JESUS = DEVIL
Re: Is Jesus God? by dalebutt1: 9:41pm On Nov 05, 2011
Your comment is utterly irrational it would be better to post on such thread that has links to PAGAN, I suspect you are a mature thinking individual am i wrong? some decorum please
Re: Is Jesus God? by ichuka(m): 12:32am On Nov 06, 2011
@op
Jesus is the Word of God,which is God(jhn1:1)
all things were created by Him and for Him(colosns1:16).
Through Him all things were made(jhn1:3).
Phil2:6;says that our Lord Jesus didn't consider been equal with God a thing to be Grasped.that is His equality with God is not something He took by force.why is that?its because been God is His Divine attribute.for He emptied Himself of His divine nature(phil2:7).
For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things(Roms11:36):that is He is the Pattern and the Completion of  God's creation.
In Him dwelleth the fullness of God(colossns1:19);without Jesus there's no evidence of the existance of God.without Him there's no God.
For He is God Himself.
Re: Is Jesus God? by dalebutt1: 1:03am On Nov 06, 2011
@ Chika thanks for that. Am impressed thanks again in a miliion years you are the only xtian that has given me an explicit answer on this. Jesus is Lord Amen.
Re: Is Jesus God? by HISchild: 1:14am On Nov 06, 2011
@PAGAN 9JA - “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall Give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified,and  By thy words thou shalt be condemned.”- Matt 12:36-37

"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils." -Mat 12:24 [Mat 12:25-30]; "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." - Mat 12:31-32
--------
The Lord JESUS CHRIST is GOD, The SON of GOD, The Almighty. (Rev 1:7-cool

"But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." - Mic 5:2  

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." - Isa 9:6  

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." - Col_2:9  

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." - 1 Jn 5:7  
--------
Our finite minds cannot comprehend an infinite GOD.  Our primary thought / concern, as human beings since the fall of man is the salvation of our souls -
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” - Rom 3:23
For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of GOD [is] eternal life through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.”  - Rom 6:23  
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” - Acts 4:12
"Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me" - Hos 13:4  

The Lord JESUS CHRIST, Emmanuel (GOD with us), is GOD = is The LORD = JEHOVAH, YAHWEH,   "He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name." - Psalm 111:9
Re: Is Jesus God? by Sweetnecta: 2:48pm On Nov 06, 2011
^^^^While i strongly condemn what 9japagan said, I wonder what people make of these:

"Your servant Jesus who You sent"?

"Jesus a prophet sent to you"?

"Of my own power, i can do nothing. . . ."?

"My God, my God. . . ."?

How can anyone say Jesus is God, without realizing that just one of these or others cancels out that statement and made it a fallacy?
Re: Is Jesus God? by dalebutt1: 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2011
Because you simply dont understand what the Trinity is, I have always said it human race needs total humility when dealing with Godliness and this thread is for christians not for non christians. @ Hischild thanks for a well detailed explanation
Re: Is Jesus God? by HISchild: 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2011
@sweetnecta, i understand your questions, which is why i said our very finite minds cannot comprehend an infinite GOD.  You bring up a key principle, that is, by GOD's mercy, scripture defines scripture, thus we humbly compare scripture with scripture, that is, spiritual things with spiritual. (1 Corinth 2:13 ).  @dalebutt1, please, to GOD be all thanks, praise and glory.

GOD is Wonderful in that HE, though Sovereign ruler of all, subjects HIMSELF to HIS own Laws / holy word. "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." -Psalm 138:2 and GOD's Name(s) is /are HOLY. ( Deut 5:11, Isaiah 57:15).  GOD, The Lord JESUS CHRIST is also Wonderful (in many, many ways), but also in that HE, in HIS magnanimity and work to save many souls from HIS wrath for sin, “For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of GOD [is] eternal life through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.”- Rom 6:23, emptied HIMSELF of HIS great glory and took on HIMSELF the form of those whom HE came to save, a servant. (because man, similar to all of GOD's creation are HIS servants - Psa 119:91).

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." - Phil 2:6-8

"For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people." -Heb 2:16-17

"Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;" - Heb 1:2-3

HIS flesh was the veil (Heb 10:20). Even washing HIS disciples feet as an example to us all to serve one another (Johm 13:13-15. Luke 22:27).  So, the quotes from the holy word that you refer to typically are from The Lord JESUS speaking as a Servant, Yet never ceasing to be GOD (Col 2:9).

"[b]He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.  Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.  He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.[/b]" - Isaiah 53:8-12.  The Lord JESUS CHRIST, according to HIS will came as a suffering Servant, upon HIS return, HE shall return as The Conquering King.

GOD also calls HIMSELF The ArchAngel / Chief Messenger -1 Thess 4:16, The Prophet - Deut 18:15, Acts 7:37, John 4:44 (because HE often delivers HIS messages HIMSELF and is Alpha and Omega and declares the end from the beginning - Isaiah 46:10,  Rev 1:7-cool, among many other Titles. One must stand in awe of such a great GOD Who humbles HIMSELF in such ways.  

Note this: The FATHER calls the SON "GOD" and The SON calls The FATHER "GOD".  This is The FATHER referring to the SON:
"For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?  And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;  And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail." - Heb 1:5-11
Re: Is Jesus God? by dekung(m): 4:22pm On Nov 06, 2011
The question of Jesus being God has its root in the concept of trinity. While the majority of the Christian world considers the concept of the Trinity vital to Christianity, many historians and Bible scholars agree that the Trinity of Christianity owes more to Greek philosophy and pagan polytheism than to the monotheism of the Jew and the Jewish Jesus. It took centuries from the time of Christ for the Trinity to become widely accepted in Christendom. And in all of this, what guided the decisions? Was it the Word of God, or was it clerical and political considerations?
THIS disreputable history of the Trinity fits in with what Jesus and his apostles foretold would follow their time. They said that there would be an apostasy, a deviation, a falling away from true worship until Christ's return, when true worship would be restored before God's day of destruction of this system of things.

I copied these:

"The Triad of the Great Gods" Many centuries before the time of Christ, there were triads, or trinities, of gods in ancient Babylonia and Assyria. The French "Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology" notes one such triad in that Mesopotamian area: "The universe was divided into three regions each of which became the domain of a god. Anu's share was the sky. The earth was given to Enlil. Ea became the ruler of the waters. Together they constituted the triad of the Great Gods."

Hindu Trinity The book "The Symbolism of Hindu Gods and Rituals" says regarding a Hindu trinity that existed centuries before Christ: "Siva is one of the gods of the Trinity. He is said to be the god of destruction. The other two gods are Brahma, the god of creation and Vishnu, the god of maintenance. . . . To indicate that these three processes are one and the same the three gods are combined in one form."—Published by A. Parthasarathy, Bombay.

THROUGHOUT the ancient world, as far back as Babylonia, the worship of pagan gods grouped in threes, or triads, was common. That influence was also prevalent in Egypt, Greece, and Rome in the centuries before, during, and after Christ. And after the death of the apostles, such pagan beliefs began to invade Christianity.
Historian Will Durant observed: "Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it. . . . From Egypt came the ideas of a divine trinity." And in the book Egyptian Religion, Siegfried Morenz notes: "The trinity was a major preoccupation of Egyptian theologians . . .Three gods are combined and treated as a single being, addressed in the singular. In this way the spiritual force of Egyptian religion shows a direct link with Christian theology."
[img][/img]

Thus, in Alexandria, Egypt, churchmen of the late third and early fourth centuries, such as Athanasius, reflected this influence as they formulated ideas that led to the Trinity. Their own influence spread, so that Morenz considers "Alexandrian theology as the intermediary between the Egyptian religious heritage and Christianity."
In the preface to Edward Gibbon's History of Christianity, we read: "If Paganism was conquered by Christianity, it is equally true that Christianity was corrupted by Paganism. The pure Deism of the firstChristians . . . was changed, by the Church of Rome, into the incomprehensible dogma of the trinity. Many of the pagan tenets, invented by the Egyptians and idealized by Plato, were retained as being worthy of belief

Finally,

WHY, for thousands of years, did none of God's prophets teach his people about the Trinity? At the latest, would Jesus not use his ability as the Great Teacher to make the Trinity clear to his followers? Would God inspire hundreds of pages of Scripture and yet not use any of this instruction to teach the Trinity if it were the "central doctrine" of faith?
Are Christians to believe that centuries after Christ and after having inspired the writing of the Bible, God would back the formulation of a doctrine that was unknown to his servants for thousands of years, one that is an "inscrutable mystery" "beyond the grasp of human reason," one that admittedly had a pagan background and was "largely a matter of church politics"?
The testimony of history is clear: The Trinity teaching is a deviation from the truth, an apostatizing from it.
Re: Is Jesus God? by lanrewajew(m): 11:11pm On Nov 06, 2011
@dekung; well said man. . .well said. I'm impressed smiley cheesy
Re: Is Jesus God? by SUBMARINE: 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
4rm d understanding i got d word GOD means a living being that has unlimited power influence control etc over all things while d word god means a living or non living thing(s) that has limited power  control influence etc over all things.there4 going by this definition JESUS IS GOD & MEN ARE gods & MATERIAL THINGS ARE gods 2 anyone if it controls him when we judge it with 1CORINTHIANS 15:25-28 " for He must reign till He hath put all enemies under His feet d last enemy that shall be destroy is death 4 he hath put all things under His feet but when He says all things are put under Him it does NOT include the FATHER(YAHWEH) WHO puts all things under the SON & MADE D SON SUBJECT UNTO HIM SO THAT GOD MAY BE ALL IN ALL" then we can see it fits.
Re: Is Jesus God? by anukulapo: 1:37pm On Dec 16, 2011
What's the big deal of talk from some christians and the numerous ignorant,blind pagans in these thread?

"We are one" is not equal to "we are equal"-----john 10:29,30, 17:22, 14:28

so,stop your foolish argument and putting of sensation into plain issues.

Abeg
Re: Is Jesus God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:43am On Dec 18, 2011
HISchild:

@PAGAN 9JA - “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall Give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified,and  By thy words thou shalt be condemned.”- Matt 12:36-37

"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils." -Mat 12:24 [Mat 12:25-30]; "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." - Mat 12:31-32
--------
The Lord JESUS CHRIST is GOD, The SON of GOD, The Almighty. (Rev 1:7-cool

"But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." - Mic 5:2  

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." - Isa 9:6  

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." - Col_2:9  

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." - 1 Jn 5:7  
--------
Our finite minds cannot comprehend an infinite GOD.  Our primary thought / concern, as human beings since the fall of man is the salvation of our souls -
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” - Rom 3:23
For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of GOD [is] eternal life through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.”  - Rom 6:23  
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” - Acts 4:12
"Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me" - Hos 13:4  

The Lord JESUS CHRIST, Emmanuel (GOD with us), is GOD = is The LORD = JEHOVAH, YAHWEH,   "He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name." - Psalm 111:9  

[size=32pt]STOP TRYING TO SCARE ME AND INSTIL FEAR IN MY SOUL WIT YOUR DAY OF JUDGEMENT C.RAP[/size]. angry angry angry angry angry angry

[size=32pt]I AM NOT SCARED[/size].

[size=16pt]NATURE, MY ANCESTORS & MY GODS ARE WITH ME[/size].

(1) (Reply)

Man Offers $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge / / American Imam Arrested in a Prostitution Sting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.