Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content (24238 Views)

Amazon Prime Video Launches In Nigeria / Amazon Prime Acquires Jim Iyke's Movie 'Bad Comments' / Netflix Vs Amazon Prime Video - My Honest Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by ekelebeXstunner: 11:53am On Jan 20
Africa dey spoil market. One write-up identified that the only two markets to make serious money from content are Rwanda and Namibia. Every other country is laden with poverty. That type of write-up should make front page here every other month not waist beads.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by alhajiwada(m): 12:08pm On Jan 20
Abeg let them carry their wahala and go!!

Amazon are super capitalists! Imagine having to pay to rent or buy a movie or show AFTER paying the subscription fee o! For what na??! Netflix are a one off fee platform: once you subscribe, you can watch any content available in your region (infact Amazon Prime content for Nigerian subscribers is sooooo watered down, it is only when you 'taste' US Amazon Prime you will understand what you are missing 😕😕😕

Omihanifa:

https://techcabal.com/2024/01/18/amazon-prime-layoff/
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:15pm On Jan 20
NextAbuja:
I have been to the uK n South Africa

Which country is beta developed in terms of infrastructure ?

Leave Nigeria talk Nigeria no follow make Nigeria go de drag with Burkina Faso.

Your Nigeria wey no get ordinary drainage system. Nigeria wey una still de pack shit.

Aswear they don't want to agree and accept the truth.

Uncountable corruption cases with no convictions

Minimum wage is under $23 monthly 🙊🙀

This is year 2024 no stable 24hr electricity with national grid collapsing every now and then

Parallel market existing for FX that allows banksters, retired and serving politicians, so-called entrepreneurs to crudely profiteer unpatriotically from at expense of the very nation they claim to love. Nothing like unified rate

Unchecked insecurity apparently left to linger for long for alleged pecuniary gains

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Rick9(m): 12:16pm On Jan 20
BarrElChapo:
I was telling a friend who's in the UK and works at Amazon, that if Amazon comes to Nigeria the company would struggle. We have numbers but no purchasing power
thank you. We just big for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by ivolt: 12:20pm On Jan 20
PrinceofSarcasm:
I knew it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

All the hype around the substandard trash our producers were making was all propaganda.

I knew they weren't getting good stream numbers. Why on earth will I use my hard earned Prime subscription to watch home videos ? All those She must be obeyed and tribe of judah nonsense are things I only watch from free of I ever want to watch such nonsense . I download them and watch free only
Stop thinking like an illiterate.
This kind of decision are made based on the overall market potential and not one off successes.
There is nothing hidden about movie business.
Just subtract the production cost from revenue.
And what is left tell the producers whether to continue.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by cucumbar: 12:27pm On Jan 20
YourGFsnatcher:

In what way?
Name the aspects south Africa is bigger and I'll tell you the ways Nigeria is bigger. Then we compare and see who's bigger

I hate comments like this.

Don’t compare Nigeria to South Africa.

I can bet my scrotum that you’ve never travelled out of Nigeria before, but at least, watch YouTube.

It’s because we don’t tell ourselves the truth, that’s why this country keeps going on a downward spiral.

For Amazon prime to have kept its South African team in South Africa and Nigerian team in London is enough to tell you that you can’t compare.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by cucumbar: 12:32pm On Jan 20
NextAbuja:
South Africa is a developed nation
Nigeria is an under develop nation.

There is not a single thing in development criteria that you will ever be beta than South Africa. They are not your mate. You are talking to a Nigerian not South African.

bro, no be everybody you go dey respond to.

When you see some comments, you should know they were made up-coming adults. The best thing is to ignore.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by NaijaphiliaBlog: 12:38pm On Jan 20
My good friend, you are a thinker.

Kudos!

joshkke:

Hmnn. 14 million Nigerian households have DSTV/GOTV which is from 1-3 times more expensive than Netflix or Prime. The real enemy is internet data costs which is some of the highest in the world. The solution? A partnership with Elon Musk's Starlink to provide redundant fixed data at affordable rates just for streaming services. Not possible? Local telcos are already doing this with special bundles, eg WhatsApp bundle, etc. Actually very solvable but company executives would rather collect fat bonuses than actually solve problems with applicable local/particular solutions

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by femi4: 12:43pm On Jan 20
Omihanifa:

https://techcabal.com/2024/01/18/amazon-prime-layoff/
They came here not too long ago....now they couldn't compete with Netflix
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by CavendishPlex: 12:47pm On Jan 20
nedekid:

Ha! It is the koko.
1. No advertisement.
2. Multiple users ie family plan. 5 users.
3. YouTube music. Continuous play without break. Even if you open a regular browser, your YouTube music app continues to play on the background.
4. Full movies on YouTube. As in not broken versions. Search any movie and watch the full version.

May I ask which bank's debit card you have linked to your Google account used to pay for YouTube Premium?

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Codes151(m): 1:04pm On Jan 20
stupid post... how is amazon prime global streaming giant? poeple that even illegal movie sites have more movies than??

netflix is already doing a better job.. Amazon should stick to shopping and bringing its doors to africa but make noise.. already Temu go soon dust them
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by loswhite(m): 1:26pm On Jan 20
AlphaNugget:
Pirates don spoil business.....Moreover, Nigeria data dey quick finish, if na outside country now to stream no go hard local man, but for here, 2.5gb no dey last 24hrs.

Imagine their Nigerian team operating outside Nigeria....now that is fu*ked up shocked
To stream for outside country na 30 to 45 usd per month.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Smartguyboy(m): 1:35pm On Jan 20
dejonathan:
Many channels dey telegram wey dey upload this movies within a week after the release

Just mention one or two

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Damian911: 2:02pm On Jan 20
BarrElChapo:
I was telling a friend who's in the UK and works at Amazon, that if Amazon comes to Nigeria the company would struggle. We have numbers but no purchasing power
You have said it all brother.
Huge population,zero purchasing ability! shocked

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by cyrusmillz: 2:03pm On Jan 20
[quote author=nedekid post=128033460][/quote]

Why not do the always on plan if you're on airtel. It's 1.5g daily (total of 45gig/'month) and If you don't exhaust your daily 1.5g it rolls over to the next day . This is how I'm able to stream matches during weekends.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Bossman(m): 2:31pm On Jan 20
The African market in general just is not viable. The lack of unlimited internet/broadband makes streaming services no no in these countries. In Nigeria for example, an overwhelming majority still access the internet via metered data (Data on their phone/MiFi). So streaming services just are not going to work for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by DelphiOracle(m): 2:46pm On Jan 20
dejonathan:
Many channels dey telegram wey dey upload this movies within a week after the release
abeg give me link.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by NextAbuja: 3:03pm On Jan 20
Infrastructure
Health
Economy
Agriculture
Technology
Security
Aviation
Electricity

This no more is why South Africa is a developed country while Nigeria will remain under developed at least till the next 200 years.

Imagine a country where it capital or economy hub does not have a sewage system. Make the entire country still de take hand park shit for head in 2024. Till 4040 Nigeria go still de park shit with hand n will still be an underdeveloped country unable to stand beside country like South Africa.

Even the Lagos that is trying small small na him some still de insult. Same Lagos as the only sewage facility in the entire country in Eko Atlantic, no where in you Maitama Asokoro Banana n Mango island as an ineffective sewage system talk more of a functional one.

That is a basic in town planing in SA since the 90s in 2024 una never even start, when then will you start catching up ? !

YourGFsnatcher:

So infrastructure is what made SA a developed nation?
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by dejonathan(f): 3:04pm On Jan 20
Smartguyboy:

Just mention one or two
So that you go fit go report them Abi?
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by dejonathan(f): 3:05pm On Jan 20
DelphiOracle:
abeg give me link.
send mail
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by nedekid: 3:09pm On Jan 20
CavendishPlex:

May I ask which bank's debit card you have linked to your Google account used to pay for YouTube Premium?
Providus bank.
That is the only bank the regular debit card still works online. Even your ordinary saving account debit card.
The one I have is the platinum debit card that gives you access to executive lounge at the airports, also you have a spending limit of $3k monthly abroad, all linked to your regular naira account.
You do not need a dollar domiciled card.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 5:46pm On Jan 20
I dont understand dis.

Is subscription different from data?
Bullfallo:
I don't see why telecommunications in Nigeria not having TV streaming. It would be much easier to watch with data instead of subscription
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 5:48pm On Jan 20
How do u do it?
ncoolsome:

I swear down...all the recent movies I have watched is from telegram...
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Bullfallo(m): 5:50pm On Jan 20
Love800:
I dont understand dis.

Is subscription different from data?
i mean subscribing to streaming service and as well still still using data.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 5:55pm On Jan 20
So if its not data, then wat is used?
Bossman:
The African market in general just is not viable. The lack of unlimited internet/broadband makes streaming services no no in these countries. In Nigeria for example, an overwhelming majority still access the internet via metered data (Data on their phone/MiFi). So streaming services just are not going to work for them.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 5:55pm On Jan 20
So if its not data, then what is used?
Bossman:
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 5:59pm On Jan 20
What do mean by sewage system?

Is there no sewage in nigeria!
NextAbuja:
Infrastructure
Health
Economy
Agriculture
Technology
Security
Aviation
Electricity

This no more is why South Africa is a developed country while Nigeria will remain under developed at least till the next 200 years.

Imagine a country where it capital or economy hub does not have a sewage system. Make the entire country still de take hand park shit for head in 2024. Till 4040 Nigeria go still de park shit with hand n will still be an underdeveloped country unable to stand beside country like South Africa.

Even the Lagos that is trying small small na him some still de insult. Same Lagos as the only sewage facility in the entire country in Eko Atlantic, no where in you Maitama Asokoro Banana n Mango island as an ineffective sewage system talk more of a functional one.

That is a basic in town planing in SA since the 90s in 2024 una never even start, when then will you start catching up ? !

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 6:03pm On Jan 20
Ok
Bullfallo:
i mean subscribing to streaming service and as well still still using data.
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by NextAbuja: 7:28pm On Jan 20
You have obviously never travelled out of Nigeria or outside black Africa countries.

Cities like Cape town Joburg trucks don't go up n down packing shit. Each house is connected to a central sewage system like it is in NY London Berlin other developed cities.

Na Tinubu wey Dem de insult as old n archaic with his Eko Atlantic in Lagos that built the first sewage system in the whole of Nigeria if am not mistaken. The likes of Peter Obi can not even comprehend what a sewage system is.

Love800:
What do mean by sewage system?

Is there no sewage in nigeria!
Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Love800(m): 7:50pm On Jan 20
This sewage system u talking abt, pls expantiate on it more.

Do u mean the US and south africa dont pack shit when the pit is full?
NextAbuja:
You have obviously never travelled out of Nigeria or outside black Africa countries.

Cities like Cape town Joburg trucks don't go up n down packing shit. Each house is connected to a central sewage system like it is in NY London Berlin other developed cities.

Na Tinubu wey Dem de insult as old n archaic with his Eko Atlantic in Lagos that built the first sewage system in the whole of Nigeria if am not mistaken. The likes of Peter Obi can not even comprehend what a sewage system is.

Re: Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content by Smartguyboy(m): 8:14pm On Jan 20
dejonathan:

So that you go fit go report them Abi?
And why will I do that ?
Never mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanction BBNaija For Public Smoking - NTCA, CAPPA Write NBC / Nelisa & Yemi Cregx (yelisa) Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / Liz Benson & Stephanie Okereke Co-star In 'Dry'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.