Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help (14238 Views)

Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine / My Peugeot 505 V6 5sp Stalls & Emits Black Smoke Under Heavy Acceleration. Help! / My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by PurestBoy(m): 1:04pm On Nov 09, 2011
My okada too is emitting black smoke, wetin person no go hear for nairaland sef
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 09, 2011
PurestBoy:

From your comment, you don't like this thread. Threads like this are helpful, the Auto section isn't just about selling vehicles and accessories.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Kx: 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2011
PurestBoy:

Wait a minute.
Whether Camry or Okada, are automobiles supposed to emit blood and not smoke?
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by baaliyah(m): 3:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
Thank you the whole house, I was able to locate the O2 socket, got it plugged and that almost stopped the black smoke, but at high rpm or while trying to overtake with sudden acceleration i still observe some black smoke but disappear immediately.

Pls what is the best way to check the Airflow Meter, I removed the socket while the engine is on and it went off. What does that mean? I tried to start at that state, it did not start until i plugged it again.

All the contributions are appreciated.

@ Siena, i am still trying to locate where the coolant temperature sensor is located.
I believe i am going to solve the problem with the help of the people in this forum and others will learn.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Ikenna351(m): 5:05pm On Nov 09, 2011
I finally get to meet the poster, one on one, this afternoon. What a cool fellow! We spoke on the phone this morning, only for me to realise that my office is behind his at Zone 1. What a small world! From what i gathered from his explanation when we met, he has been able to get 95% issues with his car sorted out. I was impressed. Being man enough to deal with a problem or challenge can be very inspiring. I like such spirit.

Since the car stalled when the AFM (Air flow meter) plug was pulled out, the AFM should then be ok. If you hadnt noticed any change when the AFM plug was pulled out, then i would have suggested you swap the AFM with another and see if any change.

The CTS (Coolant Tempreature Sensor) should be located on one of the Cylinder heads, probably, close to water pump. The best way to test it is with Multimeter. You will need to check the resistance of the sensor with the Multimeter. Every sensor reading differs. You will have to find out from the workshop manual, if you have one, what your car model CTS should read. Normally, when you start the engine cold, it should read very low. But as the engine temperature rises (after about 10 mins of idling), the CTS should read high. Another way to test the working of the CTS is by starting the engine and allowing it to idle for 10 mins or the engine temp rises to operating temp. Then unplug the CTS wiring connector. As soon as its unpluged, the engine sound will change and will be hunting (revving high & low). It will go back to normal idle sound as soon as its plugged back. Its sounding low & high means that the ECU is no longer getting signal from the sensor, thereby it will start guessing, making injectors to inject excess fuel into the cylinders. But if you donot notice any change when you unplug the CTS while the engine is running, then the CTS is faulty. Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by KOMBE: 9:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ikenna, please help.
My QX4 Infinity 1999 does not move as fast as it used to and jerks and the plugs are showing black carbon deposit as well as the exhaust too. I have changed the plugs, fuel pump and filter, air flow meter, distributor and the problem persists. The odometer goes below one when I stop the car as if it wants to quench and goes up again. Consumes more fuel than usual. Please can anyone help me on how to get this problem solved as I have tried a full scan which detected air flow meter. I have changed it but the problem persists.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
ba_aliyah:

Thank you the whole house, I was able to locate the O2 socket, got it plugged and that almost stopped the black smoke, but at high rpm or while trying to overtake with sudden acceleration i still observe some black smoke but disappear immediately.

Pls what is the best way to check the Airflow Meter, I removed the socket while the engine is on and it went off. What does that mean? I tried to start at that state, it did not start until i plugged it again.

All the contributions are appreciated.

@ Siena, i am still trying to locate where the coolant temperature sensor is located.
I believe i am going to solve the problem with the help of the people in this forum and others will learn.

If the black smoke has reduced since plugging the oxygen sensor in, I would drive it like that for a while. As much as possible, when road conditions and traffic permit, drive the car hard, in the lower gears. If you car has been over fuelling for a while, you'll have a fair amount of sooty deposits in your exhaust tract and mufflers.

They should clear within a couple of days hard driving. Give it a week, and re-evaluate things, keeping us posted here.

Is there a check engine light showing on your dash? because you would likely have triggered one when you unplugged the Air-Flow Meter, with the engine running.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Ikenna351(m): 10:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
@ KOMBE

Read from the begining of these thread. Every info you need to fix the Injection issue with your car has been discussed here. Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by sultaan(m): 2:00am On Nov 10, 2011
@OP

Like Siena said, since you've reconnected your O2 sensor, the check engine light will still be on, it won't go immediately uless you reset it.

This means keep driving the car, it will take a couple of cycles for the light to go off.

Like an analogy I previously gave, imagine having a wound on you leg and limping from the pain, even when the wound is healed you might still limp for a while before your body readjusts to normal stance and that is what your engine is doing now.

If there is still anything wrong your check engine light will stay on.

Try this on a clear road, it will help reset system.

With fuel tank @1/2 or more and engine warm, gently accelerate to ~90kmph for 5 minutes then decelerate by taking your foot off accelerator(donot use brakes) until you get to 40kmph for ~30secs. Try it 3 times
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by sultaan(m): 2:09am On Nov 10, 2011
I have to give it to Ikenna, We've all seen how much he has learnt in a couple of weeks just by getting his hand dirty.

Only he can guess how much in thousands he has saved, and trust me if you do what he did to get all the available information online those N100k-N250k many are using to buy ECU, trans, and engines would have been N10k max. By this time next year Siena will be dethroned by Ikenna3in1 grin
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by baaliyah(m): 8:24am On Nov 10, 2011
I was looking for a huge and elderly person when Ikenna told me he was in front of my office. Surprisingly, he is slim and youthful like me very shy and down to earth. He is more intelligent while he speaks than what we read from him here. The first time i met a Nairalander one on one.

Yes, the check engine light is still on, i will drive it for sometime and feed back the forum whatever i observe.

Thank you every body! the car runs smooth and better now. I feel like driving it to Ibadan for a friend's wedding tomorrow but it is under restriction for now, guess the reason- CUSTOM PAPER.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by sultaan(m): 4:26am On Nov 14, 2011
Fixed?

No MIL(check engine light)
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by zerokool(m): 8:12pm On Nov 14, 2011
Auto experts,

I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2002.

I normally warm my car up for 10 minutes before driving off.  I do this because I noticed the car doesn't drag when I hit the road unlike when I just start it up and drive off.  Is that not a good idea for a Hyundai Sonata 2002?

Also, the same car sort off slows down or drags (again) when I'm driving up a hill or slope. I know most cars do this (as per the laws of physics) but mine is too obvious.  I have driven other cars (belonging to my friends) and theirs don't drag when climbing a hill the way mine does.

My mileage is over 145k, could that be a cause to the problem?

Awaiting replies.

Thanks.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
^^^ If your '02 Hyundai Sonata needs to be "warmed" for 10 minutes before it will run / drive properly, something is clearly wrong. That's a long period to leave a car idling. My mom's '78 Peugeot 504 GL didn't need that length of warm-up time, with a twin Solex carburettor.

Your car clearly has a fuelling issue. It's possibly it's running too lean when cold. Possible causes are a faulty coolant temperature switch (CTS), throttle potentiometer switch (TPS) or tired mass air-flow meter (MAF). I would get her scanned to be sure.

Over-fuelling can also cause uneven running whilst cold, but I'd say this is unlikely. You'd soon know if that was the case, as it would be a swine to start, and your plugs would require periodic removal to dry out.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by zerokool(m): 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Siena.

What do you think causes the drop in speed when climbing a hill or slope?
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
^^^Running lean under load.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by zerokool(m): 9:54pm On Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Siena
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by simplicita: 4:47pm On Sep 08, 2014
Hello wonderful nairalanders,
I must confess that I've been learning a lot from ur contributions here, but this issue of black smoke emitting from my Camry 99 v4 exhaust still persists even after changing 3 different Air flow metres on it. One of them gives white smoke, but hesitates on high speed. The ones that gave black smoke don't hesitate on high speed. In both cases, my fuel suffers as they consume fuel like hell. I just don't know what to do again. Can anyone help me with a guide on getting a manual for v4 Camry 99 model as well as a link to getting a scanning kit? I need to give it a trial with these on my own. One has really spent a lot on this issue without success yet. I need your help pls. Thanks.Hello wonderful nairalanders,
I must confess that I've been learning a lot from ur contributions here, but this issue of black smoke emitting from my Camry 99 v4 exhaust still persists even after changing 3 different Air flow metres on it. One of them gives white smoke, but hesitates on high speed. The ones that gave black smoke don't hesitate on high speed. In both cases, my fuel suffers as they consume fuel like hell. I just don't know what to do again. Can anyone help me with a guide on getting a manual for v4 Camry 99 model as well as a link to getting a scanning kit? I need to give it a trial with these on my own. One has really spent a lot on this issue without success yet. I need your help pls. Thanks.
Hello wonderful nairalanders,
I must confess that I've been learning a lot from ur contributions here, but this issue of black smoke emitting from my Camry 99 v4 exhaust still persists even after changing 3 different Air flow metres on it. One of them gives white smoke, but hesitates on high speed. The ones that gave black smoke don't hesitate on high speed. In both cases, my fuel suffers as they consume fuel like hell. I just don't know what to do again. Can anyone help me with a guide on getting a manual for v4 Camry 99 model as well as a link to getting a scanning kit? I need to give it a trial with these on my own. One has really spent a lot on this issue without success yet. I need your help pls. Thanks.
Re: My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help by TRYGO(m): 8:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
The excessive black smoke emitting from your tail pipe suggest you have excessive fuel consumption,issues. what cld b responsible could b from the following:
1. faulty fuel regulator.
2. fuel pump that over pressurises
3. leaky exhaust system, and even intake manifolds.
4. excessively worn spark plugs
5. clogged air filter system
6. overdued engine oil service
7. ECU (brain box) faulty
Do not replace parts without carrying out tests on parts or components before replacement. Atleast dats what we do before parts replacements.
Best of wishes!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NADDC Director-General, Jelani Aliyu Visits Innoson In Nnewi / Pls I Want To Know How Reliable Is Golf3 / Top 50 Best Cars To Buy As A Nigerian First Time Car Buyer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.