Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help (6878 Views)

Stolen Car!!! Plsss Help / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by seal777(m): 7:56pm On May 24, 2010
My power steering pump makes funny noise.

Having left my car Toyota camry for a while without driving cos of international engagement,I came back to observe that the steering was strong and hard to turn,I was adviced to change the power steering pump which I did and the result was fantastic.

To my surprise after few weeks the power steering pump strated making some funny noise along with acceleration, which you can vivdly hear from inside the car as you accelerate.

I was adviced to change the power steering pump perhaps the first one was faulty which I did, the result was good with no visible noise but I started observing the same noise gradually after some weeks which I told my mechanic, the noise is visible at turning of the steering and at slow movement.

You can observe it very well turning the steering either to the right or to the left, the noise is very offensive, My mechanic is suggesting checking the power steering pump but someone advice I ask him to check the steering rack cos he had similar experience with his Honda accord after changing two pump but had to change the steering rack along with the power steering pump before the prblem stopped but mine is Toyota camry 99 V6.

I AM VERY MUCH CONFUSED, EXPERTS IN THE HOUSE PLEASEEEEEEEEE HELP.
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by ShegzObaf(m): 5:43pm On May 26, 2010
I drive a 2000 Accord v6 and happen 2 have faced d same problem. It started from leaking steering hose but after changing it, it began making a funny noise. My mechanic suggested that d steering pump also needed a replacement. Just like yours, d noise stopped 4 a day or two but when i resumed, i had to leave d car at d workshop for a whole day. The upper arm(i wonder what that is) was replaced thereafter but u can guess what happened again. Straight to d point, barely a month after, d left shaft gave in right in d middle of a junction. Had 2 find me another mechanic and somehow, d noise is a thing of d past. I suggest u ask ur mechanic if he's sure of what he's doing. And quickly too.
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by seal777(m): 7:46pm On May 26, 2010
@Shegz Obaf,

thanks a lot for the contribution, i appreciate.

i ve just noticed hat the noise comes when the car is on slow motion and i try turning the steering and dissapears when there is fast movement, i think the transmission supply shots down when the car in in slow and there seems to be a grinding noise thereafter.

i will get to my mechanic tomorrow.

more comments required.
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by tgodbeer: 1:19pm On Aug 11, 2010
the noise your talking about is caused by air in the powersteering system can be caused by 3 things powersteering pump, steering rack seals and air in the system so the mechanic either needs to bleed the air out of the system and if he has replaced the pump already it shudnt be the pump id maybe do a powersteering flush and bleed the air out of the system and see if that fixes it if not u might be up for a reconditioned steering rack and maybe suggest going to a differnt mechanic changing the rack in a v6 camry 99 is a big job i have a 98 camry v6 with a 1mz-fe engine and i am about to replace the rack in that and all my serivice books tell me its a 5hour job anyhow good luck with ur car make sure he uses a dexron 3 automatic trans fluid or powersteering fluid some of the ford powersteering fluids are alot differnt
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by seal777(m): 6:14pm On Aug 11, 2010
thanks a lot for your comment.

I noticed a change in the color of the oil after some time so out of curiosity i ask my mechanic to drip the transmission oil and get the plastic housing the oils for examination, lo and behold it contains an enormous amount of sand dirt's, mixing the oils at interval and pumping it into the pump.

i was happy i got the cause before attempting to change the pump cos i would have ended up wasting additional resources in the process, this was the second pump i have changed in quick succession.

i had the plastic washed, the oil drained and a new trans oil replaced, the grinding had stopped but the noise still comes around.

i am waiting a while before changing the transmission pump.
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by cretin: 6:23pm On Sep 03, 2012
the power steering fluid is recommended to be changed every 30k miles......very few nigerians do this...the average nigerian waits till problem shows up or the pump fails..b4 remebering that their car has a power steering pump!!

air getting trapped in the steering pump system can damage ur steering rack/pump...........the mechanic shud bleed off the trapped air n also clean the whole fluid system..especially the reservoir
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by TRYGO(m): 8:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
The probable,cause of that whinnng noise could be as a result o installation erros. This I mean, the mechanic must not have being patient to complete the bleeding cycle on the pump.This is because, the hydraulic steering sys is meant to be a closed circuit without air bubbles interfaring with the dynamics of the fluid. The power steering hoses from the pump shld be inspected for integrity; check the steering rack for leaks also.
Hope dis helps you.
PS: Also check d various pulleys-alternator, H2O pump, power steering pump, and adjuster rollers. Chk all the drive belt also.
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by funlover1(m): 11:35am On Mar 05, 2015
I also have a similar issue with my 2003 highlander, the car makes an annoying noise when the steering is turned and when i am in traffic. I have changed the steering pump and some days ago my mechanic said they needed to seal some leaking points on the pump or so..he did so, yet the noise still persists and the power steering fluid keeps reducing gradually.What can i do?
Re: My Toyota Camry 99 V6 Power Steering Makes Funny Noise, Plsss Help by funlover1(m): 3:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
anyone?

(1) (Reply)

Honda Civic 2010 / Hyundai/kia/mitsubishi owners, sp-iii ATF Is Sacrosanct & in stock / Amazing Mercedes (W221) S-class Crash/repair Pics..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.