Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,725 members, 7,827,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? (5350 Views)

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / Winch Kin Car Be Dis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by octar6: 7:49am On Nov 08, 2011
dear nladers,
I had an argument with my mechanic recently.we were arguing how often a fuel filter in a tokunbo car be changed due to the fact that these cars have relative high mileage and are more than 5years and above old. His advice(my mechanic), was as long as its not a tear rubber your driving,it should be changed once every year.
So i decided to bring it down for the gurus to discuss. Thank you,while waitn for your responses.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by octar6: 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2011
mr sienna, sultaan etc, femmy motors??
where una dey na grin? am waitn for your responses,I need to know what to do,cus these mechanics are turnin into sumtin else these days.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by sultaan(m): 3:42am On Nov 09, 2011
If your check engine light is on find the problem(scan) rather than throwing parts at it.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by sultaan(m): 3:43am On Nov 09, 2011
There are 2 ways to this.

Some  manufacturers recommend 30k mile interval which will be in maintenance guide.

Some will say no need until car signifies(i guess by pressure) as in my jeep fuel regulator.

Check you manual, if its not giving you any problem don't find one.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by cretin: 7:20am On Nov 09, 2011
if its the normal ones that sit in the engine area, its ok to change them once a yr ,the more difficult ones are the inline type that are in the fuel tank, those are the ones u shud probablly not hv ur local mechanic fiddle with much, unless its giving you problems.
learn to use the injector cleaners like every 6 fill ups, ie if ur car uses an injector
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by kabukabu50(m): 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
cretin:

if its the normal ones that sit in the engine area, its ok to change them once a yr ,the more difficult ones are the inline type that are in the fuel tank, those are the ones u shud probablly not hv your local mechanic fiddle with much, unless its giving you problems.
learn to use the injector cleaners like every 6 fill ups, ie if your car uses an injector

I've never had to change a fuel filter on any car i've owned over the last 10 years, and I've owned a lot of cars cool.They rarely go bad.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Beaf1: 3:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
I dont know which of the filters you are referring to but anytime i service my car (drain the engine oil and put a new one) i change my filter.

Am i wasting my money? Where are the gurus?
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
As per manufacturer's recommendations.

If using poor quality fuel, you may wish to replace the fuel filter every other service.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Wallie(m): 3:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

As per manufacturer's recommendations.

If using poor quality fuel, you may wish to replace the fuel filter every other service.

It all depends on the operating environment and the quality of the oil, fuel, and air. Oil filter, cabin filter, and fuel filter all seek to remove particles from whatever is running through them. The greater the amount of filtered particles, the earlier you need to change the filter.

If your fuel is very clean, then you might go as high as the manufacturer’s recommended change interval before changing it.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Wallie(m): 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
^^^^ I'm agreeing with what @Siena said.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by begwong: 4:10pm On Nov 09, 2011
Beaf!:

I dont know which of the filters you are referring to but anytime i service my car (drain the engine oil and put a new one) i change my filter.

Am i wasting my money? Where are the gurus?
FUEL FILTERS NOT OIL FILTERS undecided
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
cretin:

if its the normal ones that sit in the engine area, its ok to change them once a yr ,the more difficult ones are the inline type that are in the fuel tank, those are the ones u shud probablly not hv your local mechanic fiddle with much, unless its giving you problems.
learn to use the injector cleaners like every 6 fill ups, ie if your car uses an injector
I seem to agree more with this view. For my car ,the manufacturer (Nissan) hardly recommends a change.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Bossman(m): 4:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
In Nigeria, due to the quality of the gasoline there, they need to be changed more often than say in the UK/USA. Cars just tend to require more maintenance in Nigeria period! The 2006 Sequoia and 2008 E-class that we shipped to Nigeria both with 40K and 30K miles respectively, have both had their fuel filters changed. What a joke!
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by octar6: 6:56pm On Nov 09, 2011
ya. as per gettin clean fuel,I buy only from major marketers.but,u know in naija anytin is possible.the so called clean fuel colud be adulterated/mixed and u can never know cus its goin straight in2 d fuel tank.
But havin said dat,thanks alot for your contributions.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Sannmmy: 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
the Gurus in the house, how effective and reliable are those injector cleaners?
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Beaf1: 9:44pm On Nov 09, 2011
begwong:

FUEL FILTERS NOT OIL FILTERS undecided

^^
ouch! my bad. thanks
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by bereal16(m): 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
Fuel filter hardly goes bad, if it's not giving u problem, pls leave it or u can change every 50k mileage, It also depends on ur type of car, I've had my car close to 3yrs now and the filter is perfectly OK,
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by fenandopo: 11:15pm On Nov 09, 2011
everytime i travel from lagos to the east, i cange my car oil filter and the engie oil. chaing the oil and keeping same oil filter is a total wastage, as they go had in hand. after evry log jourey, it eeds to be changed!!
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by yommysomguy(m): 1:05am On Nov 10, 2011
As often as you can buy
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by walcolm(m): 8:35am On Nov 10, 2011
fuel filter has nothing to do with the age of your car.

the job of the fuel filter is to prevent debris from getting from your tank to the ignition and combustion units. if you dont buy bad fuel and your tank is not full of junk, a fuel filter in a tokunbo is as effective as a fuel filter in a tear rubber
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by nakoks(m): 9:22am On Nov 10, 2011
I have used a Bull dog for three years now and i have never for once changed my fuel filter and the car still moves like when i just got it.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by sexlog(m): 12:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
Hello house, pls what's d diffrent btw fuel filters & oil filters? I do change one whenever i service my car. Is it right? Enlighten me pls.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 10, 2011
sexlog:

Hello house, pls what's d diffrent btw fuel filters & oil filters? I do change one whenever i service my car. Is it right? Enlighten me pls.

I would have thought with the names, things were self explanatory.

An oil filter filters oil.
A fuel filter filters fuel.

It's really that simple.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by sexlog(m): 3:38pm On Nov 10, 2011
Ok, ok, thanks sienna.
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by pinc: 5:28pm On Nov 10, 2011
hi guys,
Please i would want to know if it would be wise to use oil treatment(whiz oil treatment) with mobil super xhp.
would ther be any negative effects?.
thank you
Re: How Often Should D Fuel Filter In A Tokunbo Car Be Changed? by infolpf: 11:59am On Dec 02, 2011
Hey, I am not a car guru by any means, but I like to think I am somewhat mildly self educated on engine maintenance both by the school of hard knocks, and by common sense. The one thing I find in Nigeria is that most people I have spoken to do not seem to know that every car manufacturer has a recommended maintenance schedule, which if followed religiously would lead to years of enjoyment! Of course there have to be adjustments for harsh driving conditions, and allowance for oil changes in between recommended service intervals.

Please find some common ones below:

Toyota:
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php

Honda:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/SI9999/SI9999O00132A.pdf

Thanks to all the NL gurus (Sultaan, Onwan, Siena et al) for saving us from ourselves and bad mechanics!!

(1) (Reply)

Kia Optima Vs Hyundai Sonata / Pix Of Real Accidents.......... / What I Thought Was A Routine Maintenance Finally Turned Into A Nightmare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.