Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down On A Lonely Road. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down On A Lonely Road. (392 Views)

Why Do People Ask You For Money When Your Car Breaks Down????? / Travelling Interstate,your Car Breaks Down Where You Know No One, What Do You Do / 2020 Mercedes Benz AVTR Unveiled: Breaks Car Record With Its Looks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down On A Lonely Road. by MrWondah(m): 6:36pm On Jan 31
You’re on a journey on this kind of lonely road with your car and your car suddenly develops a fault, You can’t call for help and your lines can’t be reached due to network issues, what do you do?

Except the car will stop and the engine won’t come up again, please reduce your speed and accelerate softly till you get to a nearby town, if it is an overheating issue, keep driving, put the gear in the neutral position and switch off the engine and let the car keep moving, switch it back on when you have to ascend a hilly road and the car can’t move freely on its own again.

If the battery signal comes up while driving, chances are that your alternator has failed, or the alternator belt is damaged, apply the same method and switch off your AC, radio system or anything that may drain the battery while driving till you get to a safe place.

If it is a flat tyre, maintain a low speed till you get to a safe place to change and use your spare, keep moving. Yes!!! Damage that tyre till you get to a safe place, just keep moving and make sure you have a spare tyre always and it is in a good condition.

If the engine suddenly goes off on top speed, chances are that a fuse is damaged and this is why I will make a thread on how to identify different fuses and how to have them fixed temporarily in case of Emergencies.

If your car jerks or experiences a lazy movement while driving, it’s likely to be a fuel related issue, fuel pump most likely, switch off the engine intermittently and put the gear in Neutral position, keep moving… if the fuel pump rests for about 5mins, it’ll pick up back when you ignite the engine, this will/may at least take you to a safe place or where you can have access to network to make calls.

If you hear strange sounds like knocking sounds or the oil signal starts to blink, relax and reduce your speed, keep moving. Manage it till you get to a safe place or can have access to network.

If your gear/transmission system isn’t selecting well, apply the same method, reduce your speed but keep moving, slow movement is better than no movement, your life and safety matters a lot.

Please note that there are some Mechanical issues that nothing can solve on the road except patience and just to pray to God for safety and help, for example, you run into a pothole unknowingly and the oil pan hits the road and your engine or gear oil leaks away, or your ball joint or tie rod head pulls out, I’ll suggest you leave the car there, roll up your windows and lock up the car and start trekking till you get network or help, staying with the car may make you vulnerable to attacks or attract unexpected company, just keep walking away from the car for safety.

Most importantly, please stay safe and be conscious of your environment.

Be friendly with your Mechanic too or any Mechanic you see on the road.

Don’t manage faults in cars and risk traveling with it.
As shared on X by @wanjohn1

5 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down On A Lonely Road. by Anguldi(m): 7:31am On Feb 04
Once had a me mechanical fault in the wilderness shocked . I was scared AF.

My dad's car overheated, mecho was fixing it. Armed robbers came, he almost lost his eyes embarassed

One can easily get missing forever
Re: What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down On A Lonely Road. by MrWondah(m): 8:01pm On Feb 04
Anguldi:
Once had a me mechanical fault in the wilderness shocked . I was scared AF.

My dad's car overheated, mecho was fixing it. Armed robbers came, he almost lost his eyes embarassed

One can easily get missing forever
This is a sad story. Thanks goodness you weren’t harmed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lexus 2004 Gx 470 Giving Me Problems / How To Inspect Your Next Car Without Leaving Your Home Or Office Free / Words Of Wisdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.