Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class (13297 Views)

SOLD!! SOLD!07 Merc Benz CLS 55 AMG Up For Grabs!(unregistered)For 2.5m / Tokunbo 2001 Merc-benz C 320 For Sale.... / Sold Sold 2003 Merc Benz Ml320 - Registerd Bt Hardly Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by ladoma(m): 9:58pm On Nov 08, 2011
I need urgent help on the above matter.twice now when my merc Benz c class battery got flat,I had to remove it and change with a new one.but the problem is that as soon as I put the new one,the engine refuses to pick.if it picks,it won't steam,except u keep your feet on the accelerator.as soon as you remove the leg from the pedal,the engine stopped working.pls what is the cause and solution to this problem?
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by KunleA2(m): 10:12pm On Nov 08, 2011
im just taking a wild guess here:

alternator undecided
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 08, 2011
In modern cars, the ECU has a "learning" function. If the battery is disconnected, or it goes flat, the ECU loses its factory settings. Once power is restored, the ECU needs to be re-calibrated using suitable diagnostic equipment. The most common setting that the ECU loses, is the throttle body basic setting. It won't idle, or the idle is poor, so once "drive" is selected, or the aircon compressor is engaged, there is a tendency for the engine to stall.

The basic settings can also be restored, by driving the car in different conditions - city, highway or a mixture of both. You want to load up the engine, so lower gears are best used in manual transmission cars, or if auto, select "L" or the lowest gear the car can drive with without over revving the engine. You may need to drive for at least 10 miles. This will restore factory settings, including basic idle speed.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by ladoma(m): 10:49pm On Nov 08, 2011
Sienna,thanks. I will try tomorrow and feed you back.cheers
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 11:37pm On Nov 08, 2011
Moreso, dont ever remove merc Benz C-Class battery for any reason, it destroys the car, instead , u loop it

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 08, 2011
embassyman:

Moreso, dont ever remove merc Benz C-Class battery for any reason, it destroys the car, instead , u loop it

If that were the case, I would have destroyed several Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and been sued into bankruptcy by irate clients. And if removing the battery destroyed a car, if a battery went flat, the car would effectively be "destroyed."

The loop system is mainly employed by workshops, who may not have adequate diagnostic equipment to return the ECU to basic settings, and to prevent the loss of radio codes.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 8:23am On Nov 09, 2011
but , bros, each time mechanic remove my battery or maybe its flat, the gear doesnt work well again, my C-Class c280 wagon that carries ML engine
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 09, 2011
embassyman:

but , bros, each time mechanic remove my battery or maybe its flat, the gear doesnt work well again, my C-Class c280 wagon that carries ML engine

The answer to your problem is in my write-up. Please go through it. No car is designed to be "destroyed" if the battery is removed.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by ladoma(m): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2011
Sienna, I drove round d town,still no improvement.I just drove into a garage with diagnostic machine and d verdict for now is that the ejector is to be bled.I wonder o.it was working perfectly before d battery went flat! We are still on that now.let's see if it works. Thanks
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
Mr man, cant u pick wat i mean? simple talk, it doesnt mean the car will got destroyed the way u are saying destroyed,destroyed in all ur statement, a car is destroyed or have fault when u cant use it, thats wat i meant, partial damage not total destruction, hope u get that now , mr quote.

The momwnt u remove C-Class battery, something must go wrong, thats it
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by kunmi5: 11:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
My advice is to drive the ride over some millage, it will adjust itself.

I recently bought a 2003 Camry & had to change the battery from 45amps to 60amps because of the AC, I noticed the slow was epilecptic, the engine will go off at low speed, I had to call my auto-technician who asked whether i removed the battery & advised that with continuous driving it will adjust itself that i should not allow anyone tamper with it.
After 2days, it became normal.
The issue is there are systems in these rides that need constant/unterupted energy which makes the ride function efficiently.
Though there are situations where you'll have no choice than to remove the battery, if it can be avoided, pls avoid it.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 10, 2011
^^^Thank you Kunmi5, for making what I've been saying clear.

If a car will suffer terminal failure, due to the removal of a battery, than that car should never have left the production line.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 10, 2011
embassyman:

Mr man, cant u pick wat i mean? simple talk, it doesnt mean the car will got destroyed the way u are saying destroyed,destroyed in all your statement, a car is destroyed or have fault when u cant use it, thats wat i meant, partial damage not total destruction, hope u get that now , mr quote.

The momwnt u remove C-Class battery, something must go wrong, thats it

I can only go by what you posted, I can't read your mind, and decipher what "I think you intended to say." You said the removal of a battery from a Mercedes-Benz C-Class would destroy it. So of course I set out to tackle that misconception. Battery removal wouldn't even cause "partial damage". If that were the case, a flat battery would give rise to the same "partial damage" that removal would cause. A very expensive recall for MB, I would say.

Please read Kumni5's post - his car isn't a Mercedes-Benz, but the principle remains the same.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 10:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
Mr siena, na too know go kill u sooner than u think, Kunm i5 car isint Benz but Toyota, and removal of battery from some cars can lead to re-programing of the car, either u like it or not, go and make more enquiry, i know what i am saying, shikena
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 14, 2011
embassyman:

Mr siena, na too know go kill u sooner than u think, Kunm i5 car isint Benz but Toyota, and removal of battery from some cars can lead to re-programing of the car, either u like it or not, go and make more enquiry, i know what i am saying, shikena

^^^ I would say ignorance would kill you too, but that would be wrong. You're brain dead already. You've stated "removal of battery from some cars can lead to re-programming of the car." Pretty much what i stated. Unless Toyota doesn't fall into the group of "some cars?" Go over my post again, s-l-o-w-l-y:

Siena:

Please read Kumni5's post - his car isn't a Mercedes-Benz, but the principle remains the same.

I did state Kumni5's car is a Toyota, but the principle remains the same, as far as ECU's and power interruption goes.

What's the worst disability in humans? I'll tell you for free - I think it is having a brain and refusing to use it. Even when you're spoon-fed, your brain just doesn't absorb, information bounces off your dead brain, like a golf ball flung against a brick wall.

2 Likes

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by gabng(m): 1:59am On Nov 14, 2011
embassyman:

@ Siena

Please for my sake forgive his comments (he is a low lifer). He is not worth the time. Some times i wish juveniles like him have a psycatric test before even been allowed to register on nairaland.

@ moronic embassyman.

You post has stated you level of maturity and intelligence. I for tell u your life history but i dont even have the time to do that cos i have to keep up with making money into my bank account. But i will leave u this 1 liner, 

JUST SHUT THE F, K UP WHEN YOU HIGH,  ON THE RUBBISH YOU TAKE.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 14, 2011
^^^ Gabng bro, I hear you. Normally, I would ignore that m[i]o[/i]ronic Silverback Gorilla, but I just had to let him have it this time.

Hope the Armoured SUV business is doing great. cool
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by kunmi5: 2:52pm On Nov 14, 2011
Siena, Embassyman, Gapng, Ma Peopleeeeee,

Pls Pls, lets not get personal insulting ourselves on this issue.
Irrespective of whether benz, Toyota, Honda, BMW, its all da same. The basic issue is removing the car battery of rides (noticed from 2001 upwards) tends to reset the settings of d ride which affects its workings cos some systems need to be running 24hrs for maximum performance.
We all know that so pls lets move on & learn from each other further.

Cheers, bikooo grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
kunmi5:

Siena, Embassyman, Gapng, Ma Peopleeeeee,

Pls Pls, lets not get personal insulting ourselves on this issue.
Irrespective of whether benz, Toyota, Honda, BMW, its all da same. The basic issue is removing the car battery of rides (noticed from 2001 upwards) tends to reset the settings of d ride which affects its workings cos some systems need to be running 24hrs for maximum performance.
We all know that so pls lets move on & learn from each other further.

Cheers, bikooo grin grin grin

Please don't tell me not to get personal. When I proffer advice, and I get insulted like this oaf did here:

embassyman:

Mr siena, na too know go kill u sooner than u think

Then I'll respond in kind, or even worse. I don't suffer fo[i]o[/i]ls gladly.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
I guess it's different strokes for different folks. In my nissan maxima, one way as a layman of doing the idle relearn is to disconnect the battery for long hours. So when the battery goes flat or it's to be removed all that happens is that things are restored to factory settings. Quite convenient , if you ask me. smiley
Quite apart from the unwarranted slur on Siena, anyone who is conversant with modern cars must know that they are all about programming.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by gabrieli(m): 5:56pm On Nov 14, 2011
Dear all,

I hardly make contributions in this forum, but i read comments from participants a lot because i do learn from them. Permit me to share my little experience on thesame issue but with a different type of car, maybe it may calm down some fray nerves.

The first two times that i have had cause to remove the battery from my 05 corrola had resulted in unstable performance of the car`s egine, but later became stabilised after using it for about 2 days. The last and third time i was forced to remove the battery in order to jump start another car, i kept the engine running b4 the battery removal, with that, i was able to avoid the palava.

Obviously, when you remove some cars` batteries, it destablises some settings.

Over and out.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
gabrieli:

Dear all,

I hardly make contributions in this forum, but i read comments from participants a lot because i do learn from them. Permit me to share my little experience on thesame issue but with a different type of car, maybe it may calm down some fray nerves.

The first two times that i have had cause to remove the battery from my 05 corrola had resulted in unstable performance of the car`s egine, but later became stabilised after using it for about 2 days. The last and third time i was forced to remove the battery in order to jump start another car, i kept the engine running b4 the battery removal, with that, i was able to avoid the palava.

Obviously, when you remove some cars` batteries, it destablises some settings.

Over and out.
Over and out! You mean EOD? Discussions should not end on insightful debates. grin
Hold on. Did you say you took off your battery with the engine running? Yes, I know it's commonplace, but it might mistakenly lead to frying your ECU. And did you call that method jump starting a car?
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 14, 2011
gabrieli:

The last and third time i was forced to remove the battery in order to jump start another car, i kept the engine running b4 the battery removal, with that, i was able to avoid the palava.

Removing the battery from a car with the engine running, was a practice used on older cars, with conventional ignition system - points, condenser, or TCI-H. With a carburettor or mechanical fuel injection. So no ECU. Even then, it was a bad practice. Prolonged reliance on the alternator to provide power to run an engine can cause damage. In older cars, the ignition coil suffered. Cheap and easy to replace.

On newer cars with ECU's, the damage could be more expensive. If there's no earth path for current to follow (no battery or missing earth strap) the current will find a different path. The ECU, and it'll kill it. If you're lucky, the brake pipes will act as an earth path, and they will be cooked.

I'm also unclear why you'd remove your battery to jump start another car?
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 6:20am On Nov 15, 2011
Well, thank God for gabrieli/costee and some few others who has come to resque me from the hands of my enemies and liars, As u Gabng/Siena, i wont say much to u, but dont ever arque on what u dont know or what u are not sure about again, cos there is nothing that kills than too-know, just say i am not sure or i dont know, when u are not sure of what someone says, Thanks,
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by sharafm: 8:53am On Nov 15, 2011
Hi all, from personal experience with a 2002 sienna, removing the batttery destabilizes the car but driving it like that from gbagada to ikoyi restores its head to normal. so "if u like believe if u dont waste ur money with a mechanic" (these were the words of my mechanic when it first happend). cheers
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 9:09am On Nov 15, 2011
Thanks, Sharafm my brother, u are 100% correct, but some people will be proving too-know
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by gabrieli(m): 9:43am On Nov 15, 2011
@SIENA and COSTEE

- The last and third time i was forced to remove the battery in order to jump start another car, i kept the engine running b4 the battery removal, with that, i was able to avoid the palava.

* Sorry , a wrong choice of words, i meant to say i removed the battery from the corrola while the engine was running and used it to start another car whose battery was flat. Everything done within 3 mins and that was the only option i had in order to beat time, though never had an idea of its implications, so thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 15, 2011
Believe me embassyman, you've not said anything controverted by Siena; he has only expressed it in more technical (albeit correct) terms.

1 Like

Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 15, 2011
embassyman:

Well, thank God for gabrieli/costee and some few others who has come to resque me from the hands of my enemies and liars, As u Gabng/Siena, i wont say much to u, but dont ever arque on what u dont know or what u are not sure about again, cos there is nothing that kills than too-know, just say i am not sure or i dont know, when u are not sure of what someone says, Thanks,

You still don't get it - what do you actually know about the automobile? I tell it as it is, because that is my field. I majored in mechanical Engineering, and with the automobile becoming more electronic than mechanical, I also gained a BTEC Nat Dip. in Electronics and Telecom, courtesy of Audi UK, when I worked for them, I was with Audi for 13 years. That does not mean I can't learn from someone else who may not be technical. That's where you and I differ - I accept where I've gone wrong, and learn from it. You on the other hand get defensive and fail to accept something that could save you and your car from rogue mechanics. As for that "I too know kills", those are words an illiterate would use. It also makes you come across as a ret[i]a[/i]rd. There's nothing wrong in accepting you've erred, and this is your failing here.

Enemies and liars? You needed rescuing? Bro, you're simply whinging because I refused to accept your initial insults. I gave you as good as I got, then you start whining, and feeling hard done by. You insult me, and I'll give you a pasting in return - you don't like it, well tough. Bro, you need to man up and grow a pair!
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 4:58am On Nov 28, 2011
Anyway, na u know, proving to me u can speak grammar, i dont care, sha tell me what can make My C-Class Benz that is carriying ML engine to go off immediately i put it in drive or reverse but will raise well when in parking mode, wat can cause that, i need to know ,cos the engine switch off itself whenever i engage the gear, pls help me out my people on Nairaland
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2011
Lol. This is no doubt an attempt by embassyman to appeal to Siena's sense of chivalry. No problem; as a car enthusiast  I trust Siena will offer his opinion on what could possibly be wrong now with his benz.
Re: Removing Battery From Merc Benz C Class by embassyman(m): 9:29pm On Nov 28, 2011
Appeal ke, no way, he will apologise to me later in the future if he doesnt now, but tell me about my benz now or else ,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pre-order Your Auto From Germany And Switzerland and Belgium / SOLD SOLD SOLD..Must go Today: 2005 Toks Corolla Sport for 1.85M / Clean Tokunbo Toyota Hiace Hummer Bus 06 @ N3,700,000.00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.