Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,314 members, 7,811,935 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer (15978 Views)

French Firm, Canal+ Group, Offers To Buy Multichoice For $1.69bn / BUA Group, French Firm Seal Deal For 200,000bpd Refinery / Nigerian Stock Exchange To List FGN N10.69bn Green Bond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by nairalandkachy1: 11:05am On Feb 06
South Africa's MultiChoice Group (MCGJ.J) on Monday said it will not continue talks with Vivendi's (VIV.PA), Canal Plus after the board concluded that its offer significantly undervalues the company.

Canal Plus, a top shareholder in MultiChoice, had on Thursday offered 105 rand ($5.55) per share for every MultiChoice share it does not already own.

Canal Plus said the offer - worth 31.7 billion rand according to Reuters calculations - was a 40% premium to MultiChoice's closing share price of 75 rand on Jan. 31.

MultiChoice said in a statement that a recently-conducted exercise valued the group at significantly above the offer price, excluding any potential synergies which may arise from the proposed deal.

Africa's biggest pay TV company added that the synergies that Canal Plus has conveyed "need to be factored into any fair offer made" by the French company.

"Therefore, while the board is open to all means of maximising shareholder value, it has conveyed to Canal+ that at this proposed price, the letter does not provide a basis for further engagement," MultiChoice said.

The board, however, remains open to engage with any party in respect of any offer which is for a fair price, it added.

Canal Plus had said its offer was non-binding and indicative but had expected to deliver a letter of firm intention to MultiChoice's board once due diligence had been completed.

Canal Plus, which as of Thursday held a 31.67% stake in MultiChoice, raised it stake to 35.01% following the deal's announcement, MultiChoice said in a separate statement.

As a result, MultiChoice has requested the Takeover Regulation Panel to make a ruling as to whether a mandatory offer must be made to all holders of ordinary shares in the company according to the Companies Act.

($1 = 18.9169 rand)

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/s-africas-multichoice-ends-deal-talks-with-vivendis-canal-plus-2024-02-05/

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by HeatSeeker(m): 11:09am On Feb 06
They should better sell!

Streaming has eaten deeply into their market share, and they can no longer boast of dominance decisively. Sell it off so that running the business profitably is now the headache of the French.

38 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by santaclaws: 11:17am On Feb 06
HeatSeeker:
They should better sell!

Streaming has eaten deeply into their market share, and they can no longer boast of dominance decisively. Sell it off so that running the business profitably is now the headache of the French.

Streaming? Well, DSTV doesn't need your internet connection to function and streaming services are majorly for movies and series (unless you want to pay on multiple streaming platforms to watch sports like DAZN), DSTV offers much more than that. There's a wide market for both media services to co-exist, so I wouldn't say that. Netflix cannot show live football matches, so what are you talking about?

Bottom line is that $1.6B is a grossly undervalued sum for Multichoice as an African multinational media company, the largest of its kind.

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by updatechange(m): 11:24am On Feb 06
Lol… canal plus dem kala😃

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by SoNature(m): 11:24am On Feb 06
Multi Choice made over N277 billion last year in Nigeria alone. Then, imagine how much they make across the countries they operate in Africa.

There's no way the management of Multi Choice can sell such a business because it's a high-return investment.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by verybadmouth(m): 11:25am On Feb 06
Who cares, last time I subscribed DSTV was 2022 Aug. MTN can't be taking my money and DSTV also, I ain't a robot

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Enemyofpeace: 11:25am On Feb 06
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

I don survive DEC 25 and JAN 1, remain FEB 14.🤗😔😔

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Dottore: 11:26am On Feb 06
O
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by GreaterFuture(m): 11:26am On Feb 06
Was it too small?
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by 1gbdata: 11:27am On Feb 06
They're fully conscious of what they're gaining, particularly in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by mytime24(f): 11:27am On Feb 06
They shld double their offer
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Noniblaq(m): 11:28am On Feb 06
Do you know that with only 200k you can start a boutique business today. Quote me if interested
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Fiscus105(m): 11:28am On Feb 06
When they know billions of naira they are taking steadily in Nigeria.
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by bestman09(m): 11:28am On Feb 06
It takes money to make money. I doff my hat to the proposed buyer and the seller.
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by free2ryhme: 11:31am On Feb 06
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by aguluobi: 11:31am On Feb 06
The time will come they will be able to. Live boxing bouts are now being streamed, it's only a matter of time before football is brought on board.

santaclaws:

Streaming? Well, DSTV doesn't need your internet connection to function and streaming services are majorly for movies and series, DSTV offers much more than that. There's a wide market for both media services to co-exist, so I wouldn't say that. Netflix cannot show live football matches, so what are you talking about?

Bottom line is that $1.6B is a grossly undervalued sum for Multichoice as an African multinational media company, the largest of its kind.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by SouthSouth1914: 11:31am On Feb 06
If I were them, I would sell pocket 70% in cash and 30 in shares. Multichoice are not dominant in the market again since the inception of Netflix et ‘al.

They should not rue their chances in the future for not taking this. We all know what happened to Yahoo, and other companies on the past who regretted their chances!

7 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by free2ryhme: 11:31am On Feb 06
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by HeatSeeker(m): 11:32am On Feb 06
santaclaws:

Streaming? Well, DSTV doesn't need your internet connection to function and streaming services are majorly for movies and series, DSTV offers much more than that. There's a wide market for both media services to co-exist, so I wouldn't say that. Netflix cannot show live football matches, so what are you talking about?

You are very wrong on this one. Football matches and all other forms of entertainment and media services can be streamed without any hassles. Streaming is not only about netflix undecided

11 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by meum: 11:34am On Feb 06
Is that Multichoice’s worth or were they joking?
Even some app powered startups claim to be worth more than that😁

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by kayswag100(m): 11:34am On Feb 06
verybadmouth:
Who cares, last time I subscribed DSTV was 2022 Aug. MTN can't be taking my money and DSTV also, I ain't a robot

I feel you! Only issue is that when I stream football, I'm always about 1 minute + away from live action. For those that dont mind, mtn is an alternative

For me, when on live football, I do a live text commentary in a group im in. Sadly, DSTV wins it for me. Movies are all crap sha (anaconda, transformers, batman, and all thise old movies on repeat!)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by santaclaws: 11:35am On Feb 06
HeatSeeker:

You are very wrong on this one. Football matches and all other forms of entertainment and media services can be streamed without any hassles. Streaming is not only about netflix undecided

If it's sports, streaming platforms for sports like DAZN etc, aren't free, that's apart from the cost of internet connection... You can't rely on streaming to watch the entire Premiership by paying per match, it's gonna cost much more.

For now, in Africa, DSTV really has no competition. Most of the digital satellite TV platforms that tried to copy their modus operandi have failed largely, e.g. TSTV etc. Even in the US, there's a difference between cable and streaming, they're really not the same bro.

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by SirLakes: 11:35am On Feb 06
Sey people still dey subscribe where internet streaming dey cheesy

Maybe offices sha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by daylae(m): 11:35am On Feb 06
santaclaws:

When you talk about football matches, we have various streaming apps and links, not necessarily Netflix.

3 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Kingrshd3: 11:36am On Feb 06
K
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by cheesmooth(m): 11:36am On Feb 06
Seven step freezer for sale
Price:90k (negotiable)
Check my signature for more details
Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by inoki247: 11:40am On Feb 06
Canal no bad na dem full all doz Francophone country....

Dem wan enter English speaking country be that....

2 Likes

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by verybadmouth(m): 11:41am On Feb 06
kayswag100:

I feel you! Only issue is that when I stream football, I'm always about 1 minute + away from live action. For those that dont mind, mtn is an alternative

For me, when on live football, I do a live text commentary in a group im in. Sadly, DSTV wins it for me. Movies are all crap sha (anaconda, transformers, batman, and all thise old movies on repeat!)
When I'm watching my live matches, I turn off all notifications, with that I'm good to go

1 Like

Re: Multichoice Rejects French Firm, Canal Plus' $1.69bn Offer by Nahunger(m): 11:41am On Feb 06
grin
Nigeria must be a cashCOW THEY DON'T WANT RO LOSE EVER.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Ways To Survive In Nigeria As A Young Unemployed Graduate / Business To Start With #2,000 Or Less / Nigerian Man Calls Out Distributor Who Disappeared After Owing Him N700K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.