Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,204 members, 7,815,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks (15759 Views)

Expedite Action On Recapitalisation, CBN Tells Banks / CBN Tells Banks To Issue New Notes Over The Counter - Chika Mbonu / Disclosure Of Customer BVN Subject To Court Order, CBN Tells Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by ogododo: 11:08am On Feb 09
The Central Bank of Nigeria has instructed regulated entities to provide customers with notices of outstanding obligations before beginning debt collection.

This is to ensure that the debt recovery process is transparent, courteous, and fair.

CBN stated this in a document released on Thursday on its website titled “Revised Consumer Protection Regulations.”

It noted that the essence of the document is to ensure financial institutions follow consumer protection principles.

The regulations outline consumer rights and aim for better outcomes and access to financial services.

The document states that foreclosures should only be initiated as a last resort after other recovery options have failed.

Foreclosure is the legal process in which the ownership shifts to the bank or lender if the debtor fails to pay the loan.

“Customers should be given the option of a private sale before foreclosure, which must be exercised within 30 days unless the customer has waived this right,” the document stated.

The apex bank further mandated that financial service providers must apply the net proceeds from foreclosures to the loan account and inform customers of the remaining balance.

The CBN added that banks must give customers a report on the collateral sale, stating process, expenses, and net proceeds noting that banks are responsible for the actions of debt collection agents.

The document outlines restrictions for loan providers in terms of contacting individuals related to a customer.

It stated, “Providers are not allowed to contact friends, employers, relatives, or neighbors for any information other than employment status, telephone numbers, or address. The only exception is if the person has guaranteed the loan or has given consent to be contacted.”

Additionally, banks must safeguard customers’ assets and are responsible for losses due to control breaches; test products with consumers and modify to reduce fraud/errors and implement measures and authentication for transactions.

FSPs are also mandated to install automated transaction monitoring, alert functions, and behavioural monitoring to detect and prevent fraud; customers must also be educated on fraud threats or scams.

The document added that the providers must communicate procedures for reporting suspicious, unauthorised, fraudulent, lost, or stolen payment instruments and/or authentication information to consumers periodically.

The apex bank requires financial institutions to offer secure and user-friendly interfaces for digital financial services to prevent errors and double transactions.

The CBN added that banks must protect consumer data privacy and confidentiality from unauthorised access and be responsible for any acts or omissions in this regard.

The providers are required to incorporate personal data protection into their product or system designs; they must obtain written consent from consumers to collect and process their personal data for specific purposes, and allow them to withdraw their consent at any time and are prohibited from sharing consumers’ personal data with third parties without their express consent, and must provide clear and simple “Opt-in” and “Opt-Out” options for data sharing.

“Safeguarding the interests and ensuring greater protection of consumers in the evolving financial services landscape necessitated the review of the 2019 Consumer Protection Regulations,” it added.

https://punchng.com/notify-customers-before-debt-recovery-moves-cbn-tells-banks/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Lannyjoe4u: 11:28am On Feb 09
And those online loan apps also.

6 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by goodyvin02(m): 11:28am On Feb 09
Lots of talks since this year began. No actions just talks

8 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Mopolchi: 11:28am On Feb 09
No mind them! All these loan apps should start asking for collateral from people before loaning them money, in case people fail repaying, they should sell off the collateral in their debt collection drives.

4 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by nurey(m): 11:29am On Feb 09
Did customer notify banks before failing on their debt obligations?

2 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by DiskJokeyManic: 11:29am On Feb 09
I bin dey hold my bank 30k plus so I com win 16k for Sportybet com place withdrawal,,, I com forget say na de bank wey i dey hold money details na him still dey for my withdrawal na so i just place withdrawal.... Fiaaaaam dis useless bank collect de money for air... Dem no even wait make e enta acct😐😐😐😐😐 I rush open my bank app to see if I go luckily see am dere but for where 😐

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Felalucky8(m): 11:30am On Feb 09
Going somewhere
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Throwback: 11:30am On Feb 09
Good!

Let the reforms be total, affecting both customers and the banks too.

We have been practicing a lot of rubbish for too long.

Even those who claim they want a better Nigeria, do not want the rubbish to stop.

11 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:30am On Feb 09
Wahala
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by DaddyGngeess(m): 11:31am On Feb 09
They keep speaking grammars everytime, make every good na we dey
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by sagitariusbaby(m): 11:31am On Feb 09
Na so so long article CBN dey give Nigerians to read since That Cardoso take over no single positive vibe or impact whatsoever. Hungry person no dey read abeg.

10 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Coder2Client(m): 11:31am On Feb 09
nurey:

Some of you just dey think with your anus.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Coder2Client(m): 11:33am On Feb 09
sagitariusbaby:
Na so so long article CBN dey give Nigerians to read since That Cardoso take over no single positive vibe or impact whatsoever. Hungry person no dey read abeg.

If you are given a dilapidated building to work on how would you approach it?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Coder2Client(m): 11:35am On Feb 09
Mopolchi:
No mind them! All these loan apps should start asking for collateral from people before loaning them money, in case people fail repaying, they should sell off the collateral in their debt collection drives.

If they are doing it that way it would mean they are duely registered under the right government agency. Most of them are not registered

5 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by crestedmazi: 11:36am On Feb 09
Nice one
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by ProudNigerian01: 11:37am On Feb 09
My own is what are they doing about dollars?

Meanwhile,

We are all called to preach the gospel of salvation with our talent and in our circle of influence.

Whether on Facebook, twitter or through music, video or any way at all, we are meant to get the message out there.

There is this erroneous impression that only a select few who experience a special spiritual incident are called by God or meant to be in ministry.

That is very wrong.

So long as you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, you have been called to preach the gospel of salvation, whether heaven opened or not to you in the dream:

Rev.17.14 - These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful."

The same Commission given to the disciples has also been given to you:

Matt.28.19 - Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Matt.28.20 - teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Atarakpa: 11:39am On Feb 09
Hah
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by JTCHI: 11:39am On Feb 09
Just a little money I borrowed from the bank that led to this long article while the government keep owing me. How will I recover mine?
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by omojoibo: 11:40am On Feb 09
shocked shocked shocked

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Decarbonisation: 11:40am On Feb 09
But will they listen? No.

Nigerian Banks, rogues....
Nigerian customers, rogues...

They fit each other.

2 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Mpcoll001: 11:41am On Feb 09
Hmmmm
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by emmabest2000(m): 11:43am On Feb 09
nurey:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Reza69(m): 11:44am On Feb 09
Re
Nigerian banks dept recovery be like scammers. N10 woop, 2kobo woop, if you're to pay back 30k before you know it they don chop 40k comot from your acct.
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Coolestguy2023: 11:49am On Feb 09
nurey:

Loan shark agent spotted

7 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Jayhome24: 11:51am On Feb 09
Honestly that is how it should be at least let the debtor be aware of your decision to recover the debt they owed.

2 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Nahunger(m): 12:13pm On Feb 09
cheesy
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by Maxcollins042(m): 12:18pm On Feb 09
nurey:

What are you trying to say actually?

2 Likes

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by alobright17(m): 12:21pm On Feb 09
Mopolchi:
they're advertising none collateral loan offer and you're saying they should take collateral. What are you on ?
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by HRMK: 12:33pm On Feb 09
we all say that 9ja is down economically & the masses live in abject poverty yet the banks are declaring billions in pofit!CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS WAS POSSIBLE?

1 Like

Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by sagitariusbaby(m): 12:36pm On Feb 09
Coder2Client:

If you are given a dilapidated building to work on how would you approach it?
it wasn't dilapidated by anyone else but same Apc government, the long wasted and unfruitul eight years of Buhari's misgovernace whose foundation Tinubu is building on is what lead to this present predicament. Tinubu has elevated bad governance to a new level never seen before in our shared history as a country. We all have seen it, it can no longer be hidden
Re: Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks by AskNgige2: 12:37pm On Feb 09
Jayhome24:
Honestly that is how it should be at least let the debtor be aware of your decision to recover the debt they owed.

Nrisal took 264k from my account without telling me and later took 80m last month again due to the COVID-19 loan or grant someone helped me to secure

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Good Is Phone Accessories Business In Nigeria? / Zenith Bank Statement On Fire Incident At Victoria Island Branch / Recession: Investment Inflow Shrinks By N642bn Under Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.