Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,908 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran (22977 Views)

AFCON2023 : the 3 Best individual Player awards / South Africa Vs DR Congo: AFCON2023 3rd Place Play-off (6 - 5)pen On 10 Feb 2024 / Super Eagles Are In Group A Of #AFCON2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Metrofox(m): 1:36pm On Feb 10
ruggedtimi:
That samuel played well...iwobi is sluggish no doubt. But we need him.

True Iwobi na baller .I wish we can infuse the agility of Calvin into his body.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Metrofox(m): 1:38pm On Feb 10
SpatialKing:

Yet he created the chance for the 2nd goal against Cameroon..

His rubbish is taking us to final

Even the first goal against Angola. That guy suppose dey watch golf
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Metrofox(m): 1:42pm On Feb 10
aswani:

At least bring proof that she isn't instead of accusing me of fake news.

Wetin concern is with this information you two idiots are bickering about now?
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by chccho(m): 1:43pm On Feb 10
adefitim:
Ola Aina is one of the best players not only for Nigeria but in the whole of this tournament but the moment he was moved to the left wing back due to Zaidu's absence, he struggled a bit in our last game. The day I feared the young lad was the day Nottingham Forest, his club in England faced Manchester United. He showed them pepper.

If Zaidu is fit, he should start. At least, the number one job of a defender is to stop the opponent and in that aspect, you can't fault him; it is just that modern football also demands wing backs or full backs, depending on the team set up, to also be attack minded and players like Roberto Carlos are responsible for that. Lol

The nucleus three of Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey and Troost-Ekong have proven to be a very solid shield for the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper himself whenever he is exposed which has been rare, he never disappoint. So the backline is settled.

The trio of Osimhen, Lookman and Simon upfront have been giving every team we have played serious headache and Cote D'Ivoire will not be an exception.

Nine out of eleven positions have been taken care of so far with two positions left: DM and CM, defensive midfielder and central or attacking midfielder which have been manned by Frank Onyeka and Alex Iwobi respectively. And while I rate the Brentford of England player 8/10 so far in his DM role for the Eagles, I rate the Fulham man, Iwobi 5.5/10.

And I think that Peseiro and his team of coaches understand this and that is the reason Super Eagles creativity has been from the wings especially through Aina and Simon while Lookman has emerged as the talisman with Osimhen dragging opposing defenders with his runs there by creating space for Eluku.

If therefore, there will be any change at all in the starting 11, I will like to see only Yusuf Alhassan take the place of Iwobi. He will make the midfield a bit more solid and his passes are more accurate.

The Ivorians rely a lot on the midfield and we must not allow them take charge. Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks. I love him but let's leave sentiment.

Over all, I don't see their luck carrying them beyond silver medals tomorrow.

#SWA
I support that Iwobi should be replaced he's a weak link. This is the final and no chances should be taken
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Metrofox(m): 1:44pm On Feb 10
Maj196:
Iwobi is a dunce on that pitch, nothing like his uncle Okocha

No other player has the vision and acumen Iwobi has on that pitch

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Validated: 1:46pm On Feb 10
VeryWickedMan:

You must lack respect to be correcting your elders in public. angry

Sorry ooo, elder grin

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Metrofox(m): 1:46pm On Feb 10
Cmanforall:

Have you given others chance?

Do not be surprised Yusuf or Aina will be better than him in that role

We already tried Yusuf and saw the cheap penalty he gave to South Africa. No alertness or awareness in your own box. How do you allow opponent chook leg inside ball from being you?

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by TheGiftedOne(m): 1:47pm On Feb 10
The OP made very valid points in his write-up, but have drawn strong criticisms to himself specifically for his concluding remark.
This is not being patriotic, with all clarify, honesty and fairness, the Super Eagles are the better team and strong favorites to win tomorrow. That was his only shortfall in that piece.

They being said Iwobi's movement of the ball is great, his careless passes sometimes and his lack of energy has been his undoing. Hope he acknowledges the significance of tomorrow's match and step up to the big occasion.

Nig 2 - 1 CIV

Osimhen
Chukwueze
Haller(Pen)

A consolation goal after going two nil down. That leaves the Eagles under pressure till the final whistle.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Mandate1: 1:48pm On Feb 10
joebeckz:
Iwobi plays a silent role people don't see.

Take him out and see how we get some pressure and error from the substitutes replacing him who are to better the game.

He might be lazy but he has accurate passes.
So far he's been doing what he's asked to do but needs to add energy and mark the ball a little more and most importantly stop loosing the ball at dangerous places and giving the defence task of covering his mess. Otherwise he has good passes.
The coach sure knows what to do.
There is a reason he keeps using Iwobi.

Check his replacements.
They caused us problems whenever they came on the pitch.
Aribo has been useless.
Yusuf caused a penalty.
I didn't see any significant improvement brining Yusuf or Aribo.

What have they done differently and where are the results to show for their performances?

We just do not have the right replacement for iwobi at the moment.
Lets keep him on the pitch. At least he won't cause us penalties, he just has to stop loosing the ball and we will be fine as his passes are fine.

you're spot on. Football is not all about gírígírí, Iwobi does the job silently.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by unscripted(m): 1:49pm On Feb 10
DrayZee:
You people disrespect Iwobi too much.
Anybody who cannot see how instrumental Iwobi has been in maintaining our midfield shouldn't be giving their opinions on the squad.
You people always see him as an easy target. You think the coach who made him a starter in almost every match doesn't know what he's doing?
The Yusuf you people have been calling for finally entered the game and delivered an unnecessary penalty to South Africa, nearly jeopardizing our chances at the finals. If that was Iwobi, you guys would have been calling him unprintable names.
"Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks", but the same Iwobi has directly granted Osimhen 2 key passes in this tournament, and Osimhen wasted them. If Osimhen was converting the easy chances, he wouldn't need to overwork.
brother, I strongly belive some people are watching the match from the back of their TV ,, owobi is the most intelligent player in the team ,, he can't do wrong in my eyes .. in short I belive the team should acknowledge him more by sending all passes his way for better distribution ..

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by enambobo(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10
No need to replace what is working. No be for finals dem won experiment new system.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Sarsaproko: 1:51pm On Feb 10
aswani:

The same Yusuf that commited a foul for a dangerous free kick, commited a foul fot a penalty, stood still like Soldier Idumota when South Africa took their last minute free kick and let the person he is marking have a free shot at goal from the keepers Save. That same Yusuf àbi?

Ìwobi works hard, keeps his discipline and shape and most importantly puts the opponent on their heels knowing they have to be wary of him at all times.

The one thing this writer and I agree with is about Ọlá Aina, the incarnation of Anọbi Yisa Sofoluwẹ.

Kai! Yisa Sofoluwe, Sunday Eboigbe, Muda Lawal, Ademola Adeshina, Yekini..etc...Those days of Abiola Babes..
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Deleolu75: 1:52pm On Feb 10
All I know is that some players are playing their last game in eagles teams.. the 1 7 3 formation is just for the during of this afcon .
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Mandate1: 1:54pm On Feb 10
femi4:
Rubbish

Drop Iwobi for who? Al hassan came in and caused penalties in the last match. You don't just change the chemistry of a team anyhow
u dey mind them. Everybody na coach, even those wey no sabi.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by chccho(m): 1:55pm On Feb 10
Geofavor:

The main issue iwobi has is that he doesn't mark at all and plays like a girl whose legs are not strong enough to hit the ball.
The only thing he does is good passes, but not consistently. Sometimes, he passes to opponents. Some other times, he delivers a really good pass.

A standing 10 should at least be able to mark, deliver good passes, and coordinate the midfield all the way to the attack consistently. At Least.

I feel iheanacho will be able to play that position better.
I agree 100%
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Bulldozer90: 2:06pm On Feb 10
You made Iwobi the subject attack but started by lavishing praises on the same aina that nearly cost us the tournament with an annoying wide penalty kick. Your opinion is very suspicious.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by vince2016(m): 2:06pm On Feb 10
SpatialKing:
Why should he be replaced?

All these bigots that just hate the success of others

Yusuf almost cost of SA match with a ceaseless tackle

Aina missed a penalty

This is football different people with diverse opinions. His analysis doesn't translate to hating and being tribalistic. I think you should remove the bigot len from eyes and hate fumes from your heart when it comes to football.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by hustla(m): 2:13pm On Feb 10
We will suffer if we bench iwobi

Be like na back of tv this one dey watch angry

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Angelfrost(m): 2:16pm On Feb 10
Madeu:

................Osimhen..........Moffi.............

........Lookman...... ... ..Iheanacho........

............................Iwobi................................................Bassey.......( as an Anchor man).

...Aina......Ajayi.......Troost.......Osayi........

.........................Nwabali.........................

Tell the Coach to play this formation. Eagles will score 4 scores.

For a final game, A dual attack with Osimhen and Moffi won't be bad.

Those insulting Iwobi are making me doubt their intelligence in football matters.

Alhassan "Calamity" Yusuf ahead of Iwobi?!! Some people are just drunk.

Nigeria has no replacement for Ndidi in terms of solid midfield leaders... So, Iwobi remains the best option.

The coach and anyone with half a football brain should know this.

Iwobi's job is not exactly defensive... Kid can't tackle a sickly fowl.

His job is to pass, distribute, and disrupt the flow of the opponents.

He is what I call a Child of Chaos. cool
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by johntolu: 2:19pm On Feb 10
aswani:

The same Yusuf that commited a foul for a dangerous free kick, commited a foul fot a penalty, stood still like Soldier Idumota when South Africa took their last minute free kick and let the person he is marking have a free shot at goal from the keepers Save. That same Yusuf àbi?

Ìwobi works hard, keeps his discipline and shape and most importantly puts the opponent on their heels knowing they have to be wary of him at all times.

The one thing this writer and I agree with is about Ọlá Aina, the incarnation of Anọbi Yisa Sofoluwẹ.

Better to have a 'minus one player', in a team, than having a 'calamity and disaster combined player', in a team, especially, when playing in the final, against the host country.

It will be Cote d'Ivoire's advantage if Yusuf is fielded in the final match. He will most likely concede a penalty and likely get sent off in the game which will make it a 'minus 2 against Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:20pm On Feb 10
Iwobi lacks creativity. He lacks pristine attacking ability and also lacks defensive awareness.
What exactly is he in the team for?
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 2:26pm On Feb 10
Sarsaproko:

Kai! Yisa Sofoluwe, Sunday Eboigbe, Muda Lawal, Ademola Adeshina, Yekini..etc...Those days of Abiola Babes..

Please sir, don't start me off on Abiola Super Babes, wé would wreck the thread and bring down Cloudflares server hosting Nairaland.

Coincidentally you mentioned all my favourites but left out Commander Louis Igwilo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by tctrills: 2:30pm On Feb 10
Cmanforall:

Have you given others chance?

Do not be surprised Yusuf or Aina will be better than him in that role
Obviously the coach sees them all in training. Aina clearly does not have any creativity. He is strong and wonderful in his defence position but Iwobi's ball distribution skill is next to know on the team.
We saw a bit of Yusuf in the last match and there was nothing outstanding.
Iwobi is clearly among the 5 best players we have in that team

2 Likes

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Unlimited22: 2:31pm On Feb 10
adefitim:
Ola Aina is one of the best players not only for Nigeria but in the whole of this tournament but the moment he was moved to the left wing back due to Zaidu's absence, he struggled a bit in our last game. The day I feared the young lad was the day Nottingham Forest, his club in England faced Manchester United. He showed them pepper.

If Zaidu is fit, he should start. At least, the number one job of a defender is to stop the opponent and in that aspect, you can't fault him; it is just that modern football also demands wing backs or full backs, depending on the team set up, to also be attack minded and players like Roberto Carlos are responsible for that. Lol

The nucleus three of Semi Ajayi, Calvin Bassey and Troost-Ekong have proven to be a very solid shield for the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper himself whenever he is exposed which has been rare, he never disappoint. So the backline is settled.

The trio of Osimhen, Lookman and Simon upfront have been giving every team we have played serious headache and Cote D'Ivoire will not be an exception.

Nine out of eleven positions have been taken care of so far with two positions left: DM and CM, defensive midfielder and central or attacking midfielder which have been manned by Frank Onyeka and Alex Iwobi respectively. And while I rate the Brentford of England player 8/10 so far in his DM role for the Eagles, I rate the Fulham man, Iwobi 5.5/10.

And I think that Peseiro and his team of coaches understand this and that is the reason Super Eagles creativity has been from the wings especially through Aina and Simon while Lookman has emerged as the talisman with Osimhen dragging opposing defenders with his runs there by creating space for Eluku.

If therefore, there will be any change at all in the starting 11, I will like to see only Yusuf Alhassan take the place of Iwobi. He will make the midfield a bit more solid and his passes are more accurate.

The Ivorians rely a lot on the midfield and we must not allow them take charge. Iwobi is the reason Osimhen overworks. I love him but let's leave sentiment.

Over all, I don't see their luck carrying them beyond silver medals tomorrow.

#SWA
What a load of claptrap

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 2:34pm On Feb 10
fx45:
The burden of proof lies on you fake news peddler. There's no single drop of Yoruba blood inside Iwobi. Like seriously? Is Austin Jay Jay Okocha a Yoruba man? Iwobi's mum is Jay Jay's elder sister. Now run along and stop disturbing the peace of sane Nigerians

I will admit on this occasion that i got it wrong, thank you for your correction.

I am mistaken him for someone else.
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by sylve11: 2:35pm On Feb 10
inoki247:

Lol he was a substitute na afta dem bring him from bench that's when he contributed all the blunder the first foul he committed near the Box I'm not sure he has spent up to 5min sef before the Penalty....

I know jare.

He was a blunder in that game.

cool

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by godwon01(m): 2:39pm On Feb 10
Anytime Iwobi play well , eagles play well. Ounce he losses ball , he will not struggle to recover it. He moved like a gentle guy on the field of play. Half Iwobi is good for the super Eagles because he is dangerous when he go forward and technically gifted .He just need to work hard on the field of play. Nwabali shouted at him during one of their matches when he failed to tack a ball in front of him.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Ekaka14: 2:50pm On Feb 10
joebeckz:
Iwobi plays a silent role people don't see.

Take him out and see how we get some pressure and error from the substitutes replacing him who are to better the game.

He might be lazy but he has accurate passes.
So far he's been doing what he's asked to do but needs to add energy and mark the ball a little more and most importantly stop loosing the ball at dangerous places and giving the defence task of covering his mess. Otherwise he has good passes.
The coach sure knows what to do.
There is a reason he keeps using Iwobi.

Check his replacements.
They caused us problems whenever they came on the pitch.
Aribo has been useless.
Yusuf caused a penalty.
I didn't see any significant improvement brining Yusuf or Aribo.

What have they done differently and where are the results to show for their performances?

We just do not have the right replacement for iwobi at the moment.
Lets keep him on the pitch. At least he won't cause us penalties, he just has to stop loosing the ball and we will be fine as his passes are fine.

I agree with your post to an extent...Iwobi needs to really up his game but we need him in that midfield on a day he's switched on with his telegraphic passes, running everywhere in the midfield to disrupt the opposition on the ball movements but like you said, he's a lazy player...hates to track back and when he does..he can foul opponents in dangerous positions ..He's also quite indecisive with the ball sometimes...apparently because he's used to taking several touches on the ball...
The other point to consider about Iwobi, is that he still can score very goals from nowhere....I look forward to him popping in front during a corner kick and scoring a goal today...

My hunch is that if we start with taking the battle to the ivorians , take our CHANCES and score a goal in first 12-15mins...they will get jittery and start wanting to score...and that will open them up the more...and we can use our experience to get a 2nd shortly before half time to calm them down.
If they ever score a goal first from pressure of playing before home crowd.. we should slow down the game and start playing from the back and our atrackers should be ready for a counter if they get a good goal pass from Nwabali .....or Aina ...
wish SE the very best...if we've come this far them we ALSO deserve to win it!!
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 2:50pm On Feb 10
godwon01:
Anytime Iwobi play well , eagles play well. Ounce he losses ball , he will not struggle to recover it. He moved like a gentle guy on the field of play.

We need to remember that the "innit boys", regardless of how good and fit they are, feel the humidity more than how home bred boys.

Put Iwobi in on a cold winter night and he is running about for 90 minutes like everyone else. I will still start him sha
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by SirBunky85(m): 3:09pm On Feb 10
JealousCobra:

Garbage. . . !
real garbage from a Mr know all called ,Sunday wale adeniran.he always writes authoritatively on issues he has no knowledge.

1 Like

Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by aswani(m): 3:11pm On Feb 10
SirBunky85:
real garbage from a Mr know all called ,Sunday wale adeniran.he always writes authoritatively on issues he has no knowledge.

In that case he must be an Obidient.
Re: AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran by Sarsaproko: 3:25pm On Feb 10
aswani:

Please sir, don't start me off on Abiola Super Babes, wé would wreck the thread and bring down Cloudflares server hosting Nairaland.

Coincidentally you mentioned all my favourites but left out Commander Louis Igwilo.

Chai Commander Igwilo the motor engine... Memories smiley
Raymond king, Toyin Ayinla...etc

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emmanuel Emenike Celebrates His Mother On Her Birthday, They Look So Alike / Ahmed Musa Arrives Leicester For Medical / John Fashanu Reacts Over Arrest Story, Says It's Misleading & Twisted.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.