Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? (400 Views)

Photo Of Alex Iwobi And Terem Moffi's Fathers At UNN In 1985 / This Super Eagles Team Remind Me Of Eagles Of '94 / Everton Announces The Signing Of Alex Iwobi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? by 9jatriot(m): 4:19pm On Feb 11
There have been some people who seem to always complain about Alex Iwobi in this year's Nation's Cup and I am tempted to believe that they do not really understand football or do not appreciate enough what Iwobi brings to the team.

As a matter of fact, Iwobi's performance at this nation's cup is the best I have seen him perform. For those who are wondering what he does, the following are a few of the things I have observed that he does well.

When the 2 main defenders are playing with the ball looking for how to take it out of the defense into the midfield, Iwobi usually moves backward and makes himself available to the defenders to have an option of someone to pass to. If he did not do that they would have been forced to always shoot long balls hoping that someone would pick it up, but with Iwobi taking the ball from them, he is able to transition from defense into the midfield and hopefully to the attack.

Another thing Iwobi does is to switch play from one section of the field to the other. He is practically the only one who if he notices that the left is blocked, switches play to the other wing of the field where it looks like there is no congestion.

Also, you really have to be football blind not to notice how he is able to make through passes that sometimes split defenses. Sometimes defencers cut off those passes, which is what makes many think that he makes wrong passes. No, that is the work of defenders to try and cut those kinds of passes. Usually, it only takes one of those passes that a defender needs to convert.

Another thing that the coach will appreciate Iwobi for is that he does not hold on to the ball unnecessarily... he holds the ball, looks up, and finds the best option to pass to, or sometimes tries to drive the ball forward before laying the pass. He has excelled in this duty so far.

He also contributes towards defense. He does not do it aggressively though, which is what will lead me to some of his weak points.

Now before you think I am a paid hack, here are a few weaknesses of his.

Iwobi's form of defense is to be in the face of the attacking player... basically limiting the options that the player has to pass.
From the way he plays, I believe he has told himself that he does not plan to get injured in this tournament. So, if there is a 50-50 chance to get the ball, forget it Iwobi's leg will not attempt that kind of defense. That was what happened in the first match when we conceded a goal, it was a 50-50 situation but rather than throw his leg into the defense, he would rather let the attacker go with the ball.

Another thing not working in his favor is his lack of confidence in front of goal. While he is confident in the mid-field, he panics when he gets a chance inside the 18-yard box. This same situation happened against Cameroon that warranted the goalkeeper to lash out at him. It happened once against SA.

As I said, I believe he promised himself that he would carry his two legs back to his club, otherwise his performance in the competition has been very decent.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? by Goodlady(f): 4:42pm On Feb 11
9jatriot:
There have been some people who seem to always complain about Alex Iwobi in this year's Nation's Cup and I am tempted to believe that they do not really understand football or do not appreciate enough what Iwobi brings to the team.

As a matter of fact, Iwobi's performance at this nation's cup is the best I have seen him perform. For those who are wondering what he does, the following are a few of the things I have observed that he does well.

When the 2 main defenders are playing with the ball looking for how to take it out of the defense into the midfield, Iwobi usually moves backward and makes himself available to the defenders to have an option of someone to pass to. If he did not do that they would have been forced to always shoot long balls hoping that someone would pick it up, but with Iwobi taking the ball from them, he is able to transition from defense into the midfield and hopefully to the attack.

Another thing Iwobi does is to switch play from one section of the field to the other. He is practically the only one who if he notices that the left is blocked, switches play to the other wing of the field where it looks like there is no congestion.

Also, you really have to be football blind not to notice how he is able to make through passes that sometimes split defenses. Sometimes defencers cut off those passes, which is what makes many think that he makes wrong passes. No, that is the work of defenders to try and cut those kinds of passes. Usually, it only takes one of those passes that a defender needs to convert.

Another thing that the coach will appreciate Iwobi for is that he does not hold on to the ball unnecessarily... he holds the ball, looks up, and finds the best option to pass to, or sometimes tries to drive the ball forward before laying the pass. He has excelled in this duty so far.

He also contributes towards defense. He does not do it aggressively though, which is what will lead me to some of his weak points.

Now before you think I am a paid hack, here are a few weaknesses of his.

Iwobi's form of defense is to be in the face of the attacking player... basically limiting the options that the player has to pass.
From the way he plays, I believe he has told himself that he does not plan to get injured in this tournament. So, if there is a 50-50 chance to get the ball, forget it Iwobi's leg will not attempt that kind of defense. That was what happened in the first match when we conceded a goal, it was a 50-50 situation but rather than throw his leg into the defense, he would rather let the attacker go with the ball.

Another thing not working in his favor is his lack of confidence in front of goal. While he is confident in the mid-field, he panics when he gets a chance inside the 18-yard box. This same situation happened against Cameroon that warranted the goalkeeper to lash out at him. It happened once against SA.

As I said, I believe he promised himself that he would carry his two legs back to his club, otherwise his performance in the competition has been very decent.
He's useless in that team like Zaidu Sanusi. Make Nigeria lose tonight make people serious

3 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? by ekineme: 5:31pm On Feb 11
Goodlady:

He's useless in that team like Zaidu Sanusi. Make Nigeria lose tonight make people serious

I doubt you are a Nigerian, You wish Nigeria to lose? In a Cup Final? to make which people serious if I might ask?

2 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? by Goodlady(f): 5:38pm On Feb 11
ekineme:

I doubt you are a Nigerian, You wish Nigeria to lose? In a Cup Final? to make which people serious if I might ask?
Nigerians that has never asked of what's going on in their states.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Appreciates The Role Of Alex Iwobi In This Super Eagles? by COOL10(m): 5:27pm On Feb 13
Excellent analysis. Anyone criticizing Iwobi either doesn't know anything about football or is a bloody tribalist. Iwobi did very well.

(1) (Reply)

Elon Musk — Politics Everywhere Is Tribal Rather Than Logical / Steps To Making Money From 1960BET In Nigeria Today. A Must Read! / Manager, Employee And Expatriate Relations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.