Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? (43290 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Sure China Aza / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:22pm On Feb 14
Tallesty1:
I am.

Oh, nor be Pentecostal churc you go that day with your mum?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by StraightGaay: 10:24pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:
Aza is an igbo word, which means digits or numbers.
Overtime, it was widely adopted in nigeria as a slang for bank account number
Aza is not an igbo word for no. Oga

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by tollyboy5(m): 10:24pm On Feb 14
AkinPhysicist:

I am just curious. WHEN did Bini DOMINATE Ibos? Provide facts and evidence.
No be me go teach you history.
Go read and do your findings
Igbos that were living by clan. So easier to take over few clans and dominate it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by MallamSpicey: 10:25pm On Feb 14
tollyboy5:

Any reference of source to prove that Benin kingdom dominated the SS and SE?
Are you kidding me?
You were all under Benin civilization even some igbo part a people are from Benin.
Edo language was the dominant in those area in the past so there is no sense saying a whole ancient Benin borrow words from igbo.

It's only on Nairaland and other faceless forums that we see retarded takes like this. Where's your etymological evidence that your Benin civilization is older than the Igbo civilization? do you idiots realize people had their own culture, language and identity before your rubbish kingdom abi empire even existed?

Secondly how come you claim the Benin civilization dominated the SE and SS when the most dominant languages in both regions are Igbo or Igbo-related? How come the people you claim to have dominated have more of their cultures present till date across the SE, SS and parts of the Middle belt than your Benin civilization? una go dey just yarn rubbish without using logic and common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by StraightGaay: 10:25pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:
No word like that in Igbo language

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:26pm On Feb 14
BJanta:

Everything evil always has Igboland as its origin.. Coup , by Ironsi, Iboland, civil war, Iboland, cannibalism, Iboland, drug trafficking, Iboland, money rituals, Iboland, kidnapping, Iboland. The list is endless.

For folks like you, everything is bigotry. You cant even make a meaningful input in a conversation.

If what you posted above will put your miserable soul to sleep peacefully, then who am I to stop you from your addiction. Sleep peacefully with your poorly bigoted mindset. Ciao!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 10:26pm On Feb 14
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

You be ozuor, for your mind you wan use Benin compare Owerri for where first cast for yahoo.

Benin dey learn when Owerri dey reign, na recently Benin start to dey hot w.r.t Yahoo.

I'm not a supporter of Yahoo but I am only clarifying things.
Throway watin you dey burn
Which dey una start yahoo
Men wey enter the system for 2002 for Italy
We my senior bros dey pass me update from Italy in 2016 which dey una start and where una been wan see update start dey there dey zwor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ttalk: 10:27pm On Feb 14
AkhereOkaka:

Coined by undergraduate from Unilag? Please do your research properly Aza is a Bini word for account, treasury. I know of a Benin song done more than 4 decades ago by late Osayomore Joseph he used the word Aza,

When did internet fraud gain prominence? When we where growing up as a kid in the early 1990's what we heard of then is 419.

We rise by lifting others

My yahoo mail is older than you. Is Unilag a state university?

Even your Pastor can mention 'aza' while speaking in tongue, that doesn't make it a Hebrew or Greek word.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:28pm On Feb 14
tollyboy5:

Any reference of source to prove that Benin kingdom dominated the SS and SE?
Are you kidding me?
You were all under Benin civilization even some igbo part a people are from Benin.
Edo language was the dominant in those area in the past so there is no sense saying a whole ancient Benin borrow words from igbo.

I still ask, any source or reference? Just drop a book or something where all these are documented. I know why I asked. I will your reference and respond
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AkinPhysicist: 10:28pm On Feb 14
WHENEVER 2 KNOWN LIARS are laying claim to the same thing, how do you determine who's telling the truth?

None of the 2 have provided original source document to prove their claim.

Therefore, a neutral 3rd party is required for original research to determine the source of the word AZZA.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ttalk: 10:29pm On Feb 14
Dangrace01:
Where does the word nyash originate from

Aza is a coined word it dosent need to come from any tribe

Thank you
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Tallesty1(m): 10:31pm On Feb 14
folake4u:

Oh, nor be Pentecostal churc you go that day with your mum?
You catch me
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:32pm On Feb 14
Kenmatt:

There is what is called language development.

A borrowed word that is infused to form a new word doesn't mean it's an originality.

It's in every language, be it English, Hausa or Efik.

Akara Igwe okwu- Phone number.

Ashawo, agidi, Waka and lots more are all not Igbo words but borrowed word that are infused into Igbo language.

So, AZA is not an original Igbo word.

It's not an Igbo word.

First to fifth paragraph, good take.

Read your 6th and 7th paragrapgh. You contradicted yourself.

I need you to drop a referenced documentation that cites that aza is not an igbo word entirely, or not originally an igbo word. Waiting...
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:32pm On Feb 14
Tallesty1:
You catch me

I come dey wonder. undecided
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:33pm On Feb 14
Indispensable85:

Aza in Benin is not just a random word. It's our language. It's rooted in Benin language. It's not just a slang. It's the direct meaning of account or "save" in Benin language.

Ok. It's also an igbo word. 2 truths can co-exist

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:37pm On Feb 14
Abagworo:

The problem with this you people's Igbo and Benin arguments is that Igbo and Benin shared words in the past especially the ones that developed in later half of last millenium. Can't you see that Ego and Igho are basically the same thing so Aza Ego and Aza Igho should also mean same thing. It's like arguing if TV or COVID is English, French or Italian.

Pls it's not an igbo and benin argument. Let's not color this conversation with ethnicity. Aza is now a nation wide slang. We are just having a conversation geared towards the etymology of the word.

By the way, I like your other take about words having almost same meaning and sounding alike in both languages. It's just an eye opener for me

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:41pm On Feb 14
tollyboy5:

The dictionary meaning is giving us the Edo translation man.

I tire for you.

Dictionary gives a meaning and goes further to make an example to show how such word is being used in sentences.
The dictionary dropped the example in igbo. All I am asking is somebody bring a dictionary that will drop example in bini language for aza.

By the way, I just learnt both languages have aza as a word.
From inputs I noticed here, bini meaning of aza is treasury or savings.
While igbo meaning of aza is numbers, digits or account numbers
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:43pm On Feb 14
tollyboy5:

The Benin meaning is closer to the real meaning than the igbo meaning.
The Benin kingdom dominating the south south and south east must have been the reason the igbos adopted some Benin words.

The bini meaning is treasury or savings, according to some folks here.

The igbo meaning is digits, numbers or account number according to the dictionary.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by tollyboy5(m): 10:45pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

I tire for you.

Dictionary gives a meaning and goes further to make an example to show how such word is being used in sentences.
The dictionary dropped the example in igbo. All I am asking is somebody bring a dictionary that will drop example in bini language for aza.

By the way, I just learnt both languages have aza as a word.
From inputs I noticed here, bini meaning of aza is treasury or savings.
While igbo meaning of aza is numbers, digits or account numbers
Guy beni own the word, no tress yourself. Many igbo will say they don't know about the word but no Edo person will tell you they don't know of the word.
Benin yahoo boys made it popular. The aza we use is the treasury one and not the number one.
So let it rest!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:46pm On Feb 14
Kenmatt:

Stop spreading what you don't know.

AZA is not an Igbo word.

I am a typical Igbo man that has wealthy knowledge of Igbo Culture, Language and norms.

Tell me you are not an igbo man without saying you are not an igbo man. Nobody seeks validation like a fake.

No human holds a monopoly of knowledge. I dropped dictionary reference, you are here telling me you are a custodian of igbo. No, nah you be amadioha! Or nah you be founding father of the igbos. I hail!
Pls shift
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by AutomaticMotors: 10:49pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:

Tell me you are not an igbo man without saying you are not an igbo man. Nobody seeks validation like a fake.

No human holds a monopoly of knowledge. I dropped dictionary reference, you are here telling me you are a custodian of igbo. No, nah you be amadioha! Or nah you be founding father of the igbos. I hail!
Pls shift

This boy is a child!! I swear na pikin be this make all of una ignore this OZUOR

1 Like

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Showguyz: 10:49pm On Feb 14
MallamSpicey:

It's only on Nairaland and other faceless forums that we see retarded takes like this. Where's your etymological evidence that your Benin civilization is older than the Igbo civilization? do you idiots realize people had their own culture, language and identity before your rubbish kingdom abi empire even existed?

Secondly how come you claim the Benin civilization dominated the SE and SS when the most dominant languages in both regions are Igbo or Igbo-related? How come the people you claim to have dominated have more of their cultures present till date across the SE, SS and parts of the Middle belt than your Benin civilization? una go dey just yarn rubbish without using logic and common sense.
GUY NO DEY ARGUE USE YOUR GOOGLE
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:50pm On Feb 14
tollyboy5:

Guy beni own the word, no tress yourself. Many igbo will say they don't know about the word but no Edo person will tell you they don't know of the word.
Benin yahoo boys made it popular. The aza we use is the treasury one and not the number one.
So let it rest!

I am not talking about who made it popular. I dont have problem with the igbos saying they dont know the word. But I am a researcher. I believe in education. Until somebody points me to a book that says otherwise, I will stick to the knowledge I acquired from other books I have read.
We dont read, why we are where we are as a people today.

I can argue with anybody, but I dont argue with superior knowledge backed by book.
Until you guys present that documented evidence, I will hold my take, you can also hold yours
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Amonijosh1: 10:52pm On Feb 14
What is AZA for payment?
AZA effects your payment instantly to a global bank account in G20 currency. You get confirmation in real time of this payment being made. AZA Finance is the only fintech that offers global same-day settlement, with the best reliability and lowest cost of exchange.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Tallesty1(m): 10:52pm On Feb 14
folake4u:

I come dey wonder. undecided
Hehehehehe.

I can be a Catholic just for today nah.

Celebrate with those who celebrate, and weep with those who grieve. Live happily together in a spirit of harmony
Romans 12:15-18

I was a catholic until I left home though, Mom still is.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by nosa2ekundayo: 10:55pm On Feb 14
Indispensable85:

It originated from Benin. Aza is a Benin term for account or a reservoir of money.

One major Igodomigodo spotted

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by LordBillionz: 10:55pm On Feb 14
LoveLeadsLand:

Just because Wikipedia said it doesn't mean it is Igbo. I'm Igbo but I'm not familiar with the word. Give an example of its usage in an Igbo sentence if you are sure of what you are saying.

You were there when it was coined? OK, tell us how it was coined. How come the word 'aza'? Was it from any language? Tell us.

Why are we so immature in this country? Small thing, we go tribalistic? Can't we have same word in two Nigerian languages? For example, "rock' is 'okuta' in Yoruba, and " okute" or "okwute" in Igbo. And there more.

Thank you for this information. Mind you, we're not quarreling. So far, everything points to Igbo and Bini.
I like you.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by HNICEARTH: 10:56pm On Feb 14
StraightGaay:
No word like that in Igbo language

Go learn igbo from your people if you are igbo. They will tell you about the word

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Lawalemi(m): 10:56pm On Feb 14
The reason I only saw what I know the meaning.

What is Aza in Yorubaland?
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Feldie: 10:56pm On Feb 14
HNICEARTH:
not really. Aza means safe or piggybox in Edo languages where the terms originated from. Yahoo boys use it as a form of slang

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:58pm On Feb 14
Tallesty1:
Hehehehehe.

I can be a Catholic just for today nah.

Romans 12:15-18

I was a catholic until I left home though, Mom still is.

Hahahaha. Pastor Tallesty, Well-done Sir.

How did you celebrate Val today?

Make I go sleep sef.
Re: Why Are Bank Accounts Called 'aza' In Nigeria? by Ofodirinwa: 10:58pm On Feb 14
Uyi168:
Aza in benin is more like Account/Treasury House/Treasury Room or Save Box. Aza = Money Banking House (Owa Aza igho)...

It's quite different from the one from igbo.

Even the bini phrase you used, directly says 'Space where money accumulates' in Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Hilarious Photos Of What A Young Man Does For A Living(Very Funny Photos) / FG To Shut Down Money Lending Businesses Over Violations / Femi Otedola Congratulates Aliko Dangote On The Completion Of His Refinery.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.