Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? (13507 Views)

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade / Free Online Masters Programme? / Online Masters, How Acceptable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by gidiMonsta(m): 2:54pm On Nov 10, 2011
I'll really appreciate ur responses
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by ajileko: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2011
I should think so if you are in the right field. eg, Engineering or the IT
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:03pm On Nov 10, 2011
Erm!!

Last time I checked, they do not write "Online Degree" on your certificate! So yes, you can be employed, except you go running your mouth and say the wrong thing at an interview! Then in the words of Late Fela Anikulapo Kuti "Na your fault be dat". wink

5 Likes

Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Austyn316(m): 5:03pm On Nov 10, 2011
It depends on the school. In the present time, many Universities especially in the UK offer online Masters programmes. Those who study via this channel are treated no less than their on campus counterparts. The only difference is that it takes an average of 2 years to complete a masters degree programme online while a year is enough to achieve this if you are an on campus student. On completion of your studies, you receive the same certificate that the on campus students receive and you have a choice of attending your graduation in the UK. Except you go about telling your employer you studied online no one will know.

If you want to discuss this at length send me a mail: augustine_arimoro@yahoo.com
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by highland(m): 5:05pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nigeria is still behind in this area but you can push yourself forward regardless of your school.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by moshoodn(m): 5:20pm On Nov 10, 2011
Unless you blab bout it, online isn't indicated on the cert.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by BoOOosHBoy: 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
No it isnt
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by jdiadem: 5:34pm On Nov 10, 2011
How about graduates of the National open university of nigeria which is an online unuversity.
everyone knows about this, what's the fate of the graduates from the school
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by gidiMonsta(m): 5:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for d responses guyz
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Guardian(m): 6:04pm On Nov 10, 2011
moshoodn:

Correct !!

And as long as ONLINE is not written on your certificate.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by basoo: 6:09pm On Nov 10, 2011
U must sabi pple 4 naija
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by ayusman16(m): 6:27pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nigerians are definitely dubious. If u don't blab that it is online then how do explain if they asked that av u travelled outside d country?
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by dustydee: 6:28pm On Nov 10, 2011
Ministry of education has not recognised it but if "online" is not written on your cert, it shouldn't be a problem.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Pennywise(m): 6:29pm On Nov 10, 2011
Op u want to know the truth?

NO.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 6:30pm On Nov 10, 2011
why not? isn't that what qualifies Andy Uba to be a senator of the federal Republic? cool grin grin
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2011
i dont think they are emplyable ooo.

ok if anyone has gone through the process, he/she should tell us the kind of cert they received. we will al be making assumptions till we hear from the horse's mouth.

lf its that easy, then almost all employees of oil company or banks should have done same to get promotion.

for NOUN(open university) i doubt ur employability same way with unilag's Distant Learning Institute. l think lag will write same on ur cert.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by demmy8: 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nigerians Please Vote this picture to put our name on the world map. To vote click on this Facebook link and click "like" under the picture. Thanks for the love of our fatherland, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=309160292443937&set=a.309159345777365.93310.127636357262999&type=1&theater

1 Like

Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by frankmoney(m): 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2011
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com" target="_blank">Visit W3Schools.com!</a>
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by samyng(m): 9:24pm On Nov 10, 2011
[size=20pt]Never knew this works in this country until now, But please can anyone explain how one studying online writes exams as there are chances that once would cheat during exams if its written online, ??[/size]
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:53pm On Nov 10, 2011
samyng:

[size=20pt]Never knew this works in this country until now, But please can anyone explain how one studying online writes exams as there are chances that once would cheat during exams if its written online, ??[/size]

Lots of exams are written online. However, a masters degree does not really need an examination. Some masters programs do not require one.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 10, 2011
I am aware that an educational institute based in uk do run some masters degree in collab wt these unis and use the british council in abj n lag for correspondence, I once registered and found out thrs no difference. You get invited for the grad in uk and get the same cert as others, the prog is monitored in these british councils so the question of cheatin rarely happens. Any reasonabl employer shld want to knw y you completed a 1yr msc in 2yrs but tellin dem you did it online shldnt make anythn wrng
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by jeffman(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2011
depends on the school and program.

an Online masters in IT from Liverpool might not be looked at so well. But an Online masters in Computer science from University of Colorado would bas as good as a full masters from the school. The entry requirements are same. same course content. same graduation requirements. lectures are the same as you get videos of the lectures and u can attend class lectures just as d full time students if u wish.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:55am On Nov 11, 2011
I am told some multinationals don't recognize online degrees. Which would not be out of place, if we're talking about undergraduate degrees. There is already a competitive pool for undergrad degrees.

For masters degrees, it's actually irrelevant. For working professionals, it is becoming very difficult to quit your job for study, which is why many of the top schools all over the world have distance learning programs these days. Even top engineering schools like Imperial in the UK and Ohio in the US offer online degrees.

Any working professional should go for the online degree, rather than quitting your job, unless you are going for a highly specialized program, or planning to change careers. For generalist degrees like MBAs, I don't see the point.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by jeffman(m): 9:21am On Nov 11, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I am told some multinationals don't recognize online degrees. Which would not be out of place, if we're talking about undergraduate degrees. There is already a competitive pool for undergrad degrees.

For masters degrees, it's actually irrelevant. For working professionals, it is becoming very difficult to quit your job for study, which is why many of the top schools all over the world have distance learning programs these days. Even top engineering schools like Imperial in the UK and Ohio in the US offer online degrees.

Any working professional should go for the online degree, rather than quitting your job, unless you are going for a highly specialized program, or planning to change careers. For generalist degrees like MBAs, I don't see the point.

even for degrees like computer science, engineering sef. you can do online. Ensure it is a course-work + Thesis sha
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by naijadot: 11:20am On Nov 11, 2011
However it is, am not sure it is written on the certificate that it is an online masters degree. I think the certificate speaks for itself as far the candidate was found worthy in learning and character, he or she is awarded a masters degree regardless of the institution or platform it was obtained.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by agbaludi: 1:37pm On Nov 11, 2011
moshoodn:

Peradventure you change jobs within the period of 2yrs, how do you explain that?
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by MITNEXUS: 2:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
Online Masters especially MBA degrees are a new normal in corporate nigeria.many staffs of top companies including MTN and a host of other multinationals did their masters online from several schools including university of liverpool, bradford,herriot watts, etc. growing your career and seeking jobs with the masters should not be a problem.

i also know of a lot of people who also did online bsc degrees from univeristy of wales,U of hertfordshire who went on to do NYSC and get good jobs.
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:56pm On Nov 11, 2011
jeffman:

even for degrees like computer science, engineering sef. you can do online. Ensure it is a course-work + Thesis sha

Yeah, I was thinking about medical degrees.
I'd be very skeptical of a degree in any of the medical sciences that was obtained via distance learning, or online wink
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by Antimatter: 1:54pm On May 02, 2012
Good day guys.
Am considering applying for an MBA.
Kindly help me assess the following options.

Option 1: Online MBA with Edinburgh Business School (Budget: 1.6 million)

Option 2: Part-time MBA with Unilag or OAU (Budget: 600,000)

Which of these options is likely to add more value.

Thanks
Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by peter1963: 5:16pm On Jun 19, 2015
From personal experience, online degrees attract same recognition as classroom degrees in country of study in accredited universities. In such countries, the quality of online education is richer because of the benefit of multiple linkages to training resources. Although the duration of study may be longer but not necessarily so, certification is same with classroom learning. In many places, number of online students are more than classroom students.
Evidently the quality of these trainings is superior to what we have. When I utilize these materials for local training my colleagues appreciate this. In fact, most of our university teachers download these materials for contextualisation... for teaching and research!
The white man is GLOBAL IN ORIENTATION AND NOT SELFISH.
In summary, online degrees in accredited universities is authentic and of higher quality than what obtains here. At work , your knowledge acquisition will distinguish you.
I welcome responses.

1 Like

Re: Is A Graduate With Online Masters Employable In Nigeria? by yvonne001(f): 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2017
Hello please can you enlighten me more on this.I intend starting an online degree course.Thank you.
Austyn316:
It depends on the school. In the present time, many Universities especially in the UK offer online Masters programmes. Those who study via this channel are treated no less than their on campus counterparts. The only difference is that it takes an average of 2 years to complete a masters degree programme online while a year is enough to achieve this if you are an on campus student. On completion of your studies, you receive the same certificate that the on campus students receive and you have a choice of attending your graduation in the UK. Except you go about telling your employer you studied online no one will know.

If you want to discuss this at length send me a mail: augustine_arimoro@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths / Delsu State 2011/2012 Admission / 2010/2011 Federal Polytechnic Offa Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.