Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

lets work together - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / lets work together (4071 Views)

The Power Of Togetherness: Christians & Muslims Work Together Against Boko Haram / How Do Free Will And God's Sovereignty Work Together? / All Things May Not Feel Good But They Will Work Together For Good Ultimately. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: lets work together by Nobody: 6:01am On Jan 10, 2012
@chris: As a Christian, I completely agree with most of your points. But I strongly disagree on 'there is no god' premise. If you blame religion for violence and all, you can also blame science for nuclear bombs, poisons, guns, etc.

Not all religous people are moruns. In fact, Einstein was a Christian.

Im interested in your proposal but an open mind like yours should be able to accommodate not necessarily accept the idea that there's a god. You can contact me on my addy.
Re: lets work together by OmoPastor(m): 7:40am On Jan 10, 2012
@ all atheists. your idea summing that christians and muslims are lazy thinkers and claiming that you guys are superior mind users is preposterous. your greatest fear is the fear of the unknown and really you guys are the lazy thinkers.
Re: lets work together by DeepSight(m): 8:16am On Jan 10, 2012
chrisj2000:

It's very very important for people to know that god doesn't exist.

I would strongly suggest that you do not found the organization on such a premise as this. For the simple reason that it is an absolutist claim to make: and an organization dedicated to the development of Knowledge should not be premised on dogmatic absolutist claims.

It is my view that it would be far better to render the organization as an Afrocentric Organization dedicated to teh spread of humanism in Africa as a counter-weight to religionism. The Organization should also serve as a knowledge development centre in order to broaden the world view of people.

This approach is superior in my view primarily because it avoids unnecessary antagonism.

@ Plaetton: Please delete the email addy in your quote of my post above. Thanks.
Re: lets work together by Enigma(m): 9:22am On Jan 10, 2012
Looku and laughu ---- laughu and looku!  cool

[flash=400,300]http://youtube.com/v/iYovsqoMQoQ[/flash]
Re: lets work together by mazaje(m): 11:12am On Jan 10, 2012
musKeeto:

Not all religous people are moruns. In fact, Einstein was a Christian.

Point of correction, Einstein was never a christain, he was't an atheist but was never a christain. . . he was born a jew, but believed that nature was god. . . . .
Re: lets work together by grailife(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2012
i hope u should also teach them how to stop earthquake, hurricane katrina etc. Dont forget that some people will use juju to fight for position once ur organisation start getting dough so u ll hve to invent antijuju device or might end up being a mad man.
Re: lets work together by mykali(m): 12:01pm On Jan 10, 2012
Atheism. . .hmm
Re: lets work together by tpia5: 12:19pm On Jan 10, 2012
True, quite a lot of atheists are into juju, witchcraft and the likes.

Their real grouse with religion is mainly just anti-christianity.
Re: lets work together by chrisj2000(m): 4:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
some questions may never be answered
Re: lets work together by tpia5: 6:20pm On Jan 10, 2012
Juju, cults, same thing.

Nobody said all atheists are into such, but some of them are.
Re: lets work together by chrisj2000(m): 7:29pm On Jan 10, 2012
some claims may never be proven beyond doubt
Re: lets work together by mazaje(m): 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2012
tpia@:

Do you have any evidence for this BASELESS statement?. . .Almost all the atheist I know do not even believe in the supernatural talk more of the myth called juju and witch craft. . .
Re: lets work together by thehomer: 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
tpia@:

Juju, witchcraft? I hope you know that one needs to believe in a devil to do all that and believing in a Devil needs a belief in a God.
Re: lets work together by Goshen360(m): 9:44pm On Jan 10, 2012
I have come to believe there is God who created man in His image and Likeness. Anyone that comes to God must believe there is God and that He rewards those that diligently seek Him. I stand bold to say this however, am against most practices/teachings in the church today. Most church leaders are teaching mere religion not the gospel and life, they teach traditions of men that suites their own ways. This is the reason we have one Bible but different teachings and these ungodly teachings and practices is what i hope for fight against.
Re: lets work together by plaetton: 3:08am On Jan 11, 2012
I agree with Deepsight. Attacking religious belief is counter poruductive if you want to make a real impact on people's lives. I would not join an organisation just to be against religion. I doubt if you can ever convince anyone to abandon religion by attacking religious beliefs. Remember, religious people have a "persecution syndrome", if you attack them directly , they get sronger and more obstinate. The saying goes that" a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

The emphasis should be on offering alternative worldviews to help those standing on the borderline to regain the soveriegnty of their minds.
You can achieve this by organizing lectures and lessons in philosophy, psychology, history, culture, scientific rationalism and comparative religion. You can create a free or very cheap monthly publication where members are encouraged to contribute an article on their subject of interest. Hey, we may even include Nl religious forum debates and discussions on the publication.
Re: lets work together by DeepSight(m): 10:12am On Jan 11, 2012
Plaetton! Pls delete the email address in your quote of my post in pg 1.
Re: lets work together by plaetton: 4:11pm On Jan 11, 2012
Deep Sight:

Plaetton! Pls delete the email address in your quote of my post in pg 1.

I 've heard you loud and clear my friend.
Cheers
Re: lets work together by DeepSight(m): 5:02pm On Jan 11, 2012
Obviously not yet?
Re: lets work together by plaetton: 7:20pm On Jan 11, 2012
sorry deepsight. It me a while to understand what u were refering to. I have deleted it.
Re: lets work together by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2012
@OP I hope not shocked that is how Religions begin grin
Re: lets work together by ronkebp(f): 8:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
''They shall surely gather, but their gathering would be in vain''.
Re: lets work together by UyiIredia(m): 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2012
thehomer:

Juju, witchcraft? I hope you know that one needs to believe in a devil to do all that and believing in a Devil needs a belief in a God.

It is quite possible that some Satanists do not believe in God.
Re: lets work together by claremont(m): 11:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
plaetton:

I agree with Deepsight[size=14pt]. Attacking religious belief is counter poruductive if you want to make a real impact on people's lives.[/size] I would not join an organisation just to be against religion. I doubt if you can ever convince anyone to abandon religion by attacking religious beliefs. Remember, religious people have a "persecution syndrome", if you attack them directly , they get sronger and more obstinate. The saying goes that" a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

The emphasis should be on offering alternative worldviews to help those standing on the borderline to regain the soveriegnty of their minds.
You can achieve this by organizing lectures and lessons in philosophy, psychology, history, culture, scientific rationalism and comparative religion. You can create a free or very cheap monthly publication where members are encouraged to contribute an article on their subject of interest. Hey, we may even include Nl religious forum debates and discussions on the publication.
I beg to disagree on the afore-mentioned! Inasmuch as I hate to use the word "attack", I don't see anything wrong in highlighting how ridiculous the claims of religious adherents are. Moreover, we all know that the weapons which religious adherents use in perpetuating evil are numerous, but as Atheists, we only have logical reasoning and our computer keypad to use in defending ourselves.

As far as I am concerned, there is no evidence whatsoever that a God exists anywhere, and if I am ever proven wrong someday, and a God is proven to exists, that God is definitely the most evil and capricious deity ever. This is a statement of fact, it shouldn't be seen as a personal "attack" on a religious belief.
Re: lets work together by tpia5: 7:57am On Jan 13, 2012
^It can also be seen as your personal opinion and you also need to be mature enough to know others do not have to agree with you, and neither do you know everything there is to know about anything.

But expecting most of you to accept this very basic fact as outlined above, is like geting water out of a stone.
Re: lets work together by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:05am On Jan 13, 2012
tpia@:

^It can also be seen as your personal opinion and you also need to be mature enough to know others do not have to agree with you, and neither do you know everything there is to know about anything.

But expecting most of you to accept this very basic fact as outlined above, is like getting water out of a stone.

Either sides have their own sense of (egotistic) maturity-- unfortunately either is tainted by some strong (never admitted) notions of high introspective capacity and open-mindedness to the point they become authorities in matters they are not absolutely certain of. but hey! this has been since the dawn of time wink
Re: lets work together by claremont(m): 9:36am On Jan 13, 2012
tpia@:

But expecting most of you to accept this very basic fact as outlined above, is like geting water out of a stone.

Actually, there is a whole lot of difference between a statement of fact, and a personal opinion.
Re: lets work together by plaetton: 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
claremont:

I beg to disagree on the afore-mentioned! Inasmuch as I hate to use the word "attack", I don't see anything wrong in highlighting how ridiculous the claims of religious adherents are. Moreover, we all know that the weapons which religious adherents use in perpetuating evil are numerous, but as Atheists, we only have logical reasoning and our computer keypad to use in defending ourselves.

As far as I am concerned, there is no evidence whatsoever that a God exists anywhere, and if I am ever proven wrong someday, and a God is proven to exists, that God is definitely the most evil and capricious deity ever. This is a statement of fact, it shouldn't be seen as a personal "attack" on a religious belief.

What I am trying to say is that no matter how ridiculous the beliefs are, attacking it directly can never clear the fog in a religious mind. They have a built-in buffer to safeguard their beliefs, its called the devil. Attacking tem directly only reinforces and justifies their belief in the devil as the enemy of their god.
There countless people who embrace religion because they are genuinely seeking for meaning . If alternative worldviews are offered as optons, then it would be much easier to ignite a spark of curiousity in their minds which would ultimately liberate them from religious bondage.
I'm quite sure you came to embrace an athiestic worldview on your own.
Re: lets work together by DeepSight(m): 3:59pm On Jan 13, 2012
^ Anybody who is aware of the history of Deep Sight on this board would surely accept the st.upidity of ridicule and attack as an instrument to open the mind of the religionist. You will reap nothing therefrom but bile and hatred.

I am today persuaded that the Deep Sight that spent hours on end shewing the ridiculous nature of some religious beliefs was a st.upid and immature Deep Sight. If God gives me the grace, I repent of such poverty of wisdom.

The only way to go, is to jointly walk together in love: expressing reservations where necessary, but not resorting to ridicule or mockery: indeed - we all retain some measure of this or that ridiculous belief anyway.

Most importantly I am now in full agreement with that which Plaetton said: there is no reason to presume the religionist in any way spiritually or intellectually inferior - people seek out spiritual peace in different ways. If anything, the religionists have indeed had a majority contribution to intellectual work and science throughout the ages.

If I do not see anything wrong in an ancient man's worship of a river or the sun, it is equally ridiculous for me to condemn the modern religionist. Both can easily remain of a highly spiritual and intellectual bent.

Aside from this, the essential ethos of the religions are praise worthy.
Re: lets work together by claremont(m): 5:42pm On Jan 13, 2012
plaetton:

What I am trying to say is that no matter how ridiculous the beliefs are, attacking it directly can never clear the fog in a religious mind. They have a built-in buffer to safeguard their beliefs, its called the devil. Attacking tem directly only reinforces and justifies their belief in the devil as the enemy of their god.
There countless people who embrace religion because they are genuinely seeking for meaning . If alternative worldviews are offered as optons, then it would be much easier to ignite a spark of curiousity in their minds which would ultimately liberate them from religious bondage.
I'm quite sure you came to embrace an athiestic worldview on your own.
If the religious adherents do not want to be ridiculed, then they should keep to themselves;

1. They should be made to pay taxes to the government of the country they live in.
2. They should stop teaching religion to our kids in schools, and telling these kids that they would go to hellfire if they do not believe in a God.
3. They should stop cutting off the geni-talia of our kids.
4. They should ignore the specific part of their doctrine that instructs them to kill non-believers.
5. They should stop telling non-believers that they were born immoral, and would need a vicarious human sacrifice to gain morality.

Since it's obvious that they cannot stop doing all the aforementioned, then they do deserve to be ridiculed.
Re: lets work together by dare2think: 6:46pm On Jan 13, 2012
muskeeto,

I think we might be on the same wave-length. (you on watsapp?)

@post

Pls create an organisation that would be productive to the human mind and not one that is set on challenging other peoples' choices.

Enlightenment is what the African continent needs to emancipate itself from feudal ideologies, however people should be free to practise whatever as long as it does not impede on the rights of others. It goes both ways.
Re: lets work together by chrisj2000(m): 7:31pm On Jan 13, 2012
sometimes its better to listen
Re: lets work together by plaetton: 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
dare2think:

muskeeto,

I think we might be on the same wave-length. (you on watsapp?)

@post

Pls create an organisation that would be productive to the human mind and not one that is set on challenging other peoples' choices.

Enlightenment is what the African continent needs to emancipate itself from feudal ideologies, however people should be free to practise whatever as long as it does not impede on the rights of others. It goes both ways.
I an ideal society, no one's religious beliefs interferes witht the rights of others. But Nigerial can hardly be called an ideal society in that regard, and thatis the issue. In Nigeria , other people's religious beliefs affects your well-being and standard of life. I get harrased almosy on a daily basis by religious people. My next door neighbor started having house felloship once a week, recently it has turned to a daily affair in the early hours of the morning and in the night with long prayers on loudspeakers and microphone. My sleep and quite time has been compromised. I have to sacrifice all these in order not to be called a bad neighbor. And I know it will only get worse.
People used to ask me " which c hurch do you attend?", now they ask me " which church do you belong?"
And If say none, they reply by saying that if if I dont belong to a church, then I must belong to the devil.
A counter offensive to gradually dilute this "I must belong" is in order.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Pentecost Day To All Nairalanders. / Alert! Inter-faith Worship Is Coming. Do Not Compromise Your Salvation. / C.p.a Church (rev King) How Far Please somebody Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.