Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? (2248 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / 149 Computers Blocked Access To Keystone Banking Network / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Slyr0x: 3:52pm On Nov 11, 2011
One of the biggest trends in IT is how consumer products have crept into the enterprise, and the trend extends to Internet services. The ingenious thing about social networks such as Facebook and LinkedIn is that these consumer-oriented sites have become key tools for professionals.

Take journalists, for example. While reporters may still pound the pavement or work the phones to find stories, now sometimes a story can present itself in LinkedIn forums or through Facebook postings. Sometimes the social networks become an extension of the reporting team, in a practice called "crowdsourcing." And the reporter who used to appear as nothing more than a byline can now enter the conversation with instant feedback on a comment about a story.

But other professions have not embraced social networks so much, and indeed have viewed them as threats to security or productivity. Would users spend their days catching up with high school friends and playing Farmville on Facebook?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9221741/Should_social_networks_be_blocked_at_work_?taxonomyId=17
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by yamakuza: 9:28pm On Nov 11, 2011
op, what do YOU think?
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by denzel2009: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
all these things have gone mobile now, so no need to block them.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by SHEAU(m): 8:44am On Nov 12, 2011
affects productivity
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Skywalker5(m): 8:59am On Nov 12, 2011
It should be blocked. i work in IT department here and the amount of time people spend on facebook really affects productivity and a decision was made to block it.People just go there to gossip and chat to friends on there.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by oge4real(f): 9:17am On Nov 12, 2011
It should be blocked. Even d use of mobile phones should also be checked. You can socialize at ur own time outside of work.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Konnektions146(m): 11:06am On Nov 12, 2011
most of them rre not accessible(blocked) in my office from 8am-5pm., it sure does affect productivity.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by DerMeister: 11:32am On Nov 12, 2011
Yes, they should be blocked! A total waste of time at work.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by IbroSaunks(m): 12:59pm On Nov 12, 2011
Well, that is a tough one, hmmm, i like what the company i did my I.T. do. they block it on the normal LAN, that workstations are connected to, and some people are blocked from the internet service. but they set up 2 "kiosk" machines on each floor for free browsing, and it isn't blocked. so whenever anyone wants to use it and someone isn't there, they are free.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by yamakuza: 1:20pm On Nov 12, 2011
Ok, ok, ok!

Are y'all saying social networks have no business benefits in Nigeria or what?

How about as a destressing mechanism?

Mind you, modern corporate portals/intranets are going social too.

I believe Nigerian companies should seek training on how to successfully make social platforms a productive element of their corporate culture.

Its here to stay.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:10pm On Nov 12, 2011
IbroSaunks:

Well, that is a tough one, hmmm, i like what the company i did my I.T. do. they block it on the normal LAN, that workstations are connected to, and some people are blocked from the internet service. but they set up 2 "kiosk" machines on each floor for free browsing, and it isn't blocked. so whenever anyone wants to use it and someone isn't there, they are free.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Slyr0x: 9:53pm On Nov 12, 2011
yamakuza:

op, what do YOU think?

Well, it depends on the angle you trynna look from. .If social networks will enhance your business growth, then I don't see any reason why it should be blocked. .For instance, take a look at twitter. .Twitter right now is basically a news outlet. . .We've got reporters practically refreshing their browsers trying to get the latest newsworthy item. . .So for them, i'd say having unrestricted access to Social networks is a necessity. .Also looking at it from another point of view, I see NO reason whatsoever why a person working in a bank should be allowed access to social networks. .just like some people pointed out, it affects productivity!

But the question is, does blocking even work? I mean we've got 1000+ proxies to bypass these blocks not forgetting the fact that everything's gone mobile now. .You don't even need your workstation to access these social networks.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by yamakuza: 10:31pm On Nov 12, 2011
^ methinks social networks are not really the problem. Internet is.

The company has to decide which staff need Internet and which dont.

For those whose jobs require Internet use, proper education is next.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by denzel2009: 11:17pm On Nov 12, 2011
yamakuza:

^ methinks social networks are not really the problem. Internet is.

The company has to decide which staff need Internet and which dont.

For those whose jobs require Internet use, proper education is next.

With proper documented company policy statement signed by staff on appropriate use of internet facility and accompanying disciplinary actions people will conform.

These days most companies cant do without internet, most of the tools used daily to perform official duties are either integrated or have web interfaces. So, misuse should only punished.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Slyr0x: 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2011
denzel2009:

With proper documented company policy statement signed by staff on appropriate use of internet facility and accompanying disciplinary actions people will conform.

These days most companies cant do without internet, most of the tools used daily to perform official duties are either integrated or have web interfaces. So, misuse should only punished.

Nice point. .I couldn't have said it better smiley
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by yamakuza: 11:54pm On Nov 12, 2011
I agree.

Most companies already have such policies in place and monitor them.

Where i feel they are lagging is education on how these modern platforms can help achieve corporate objectives.

Spending office hours on Twitter or FB might not be so bad if i was also creating buzz about the company as well.

Methinks it becomes unproductive when it adds no value (0) and also takes something (-ve).
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:36am On Nov 13, 2011
True
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by iice(f): 6:28pm On Nov 14, 2011
On the fence undecided
On one hand, it can be distracting. On other hand it's resourceful.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Mustay(m): 11:50pm On Nov 17, 2011
Employees generally tend to abuse the 'privilege' - hence, I support these stuff being blocked to enable maximum concentration. Perhaps, after office hours.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Slyr0x: 10:49am On Nov 18, 2011
Mustay:

Employees generally tend to abuse the 'privilege' - hence, I support these stuff being blocked to enable maximum concentration. Perhaps, after office hours.

Well, you have a good point, but who wants to stay behind after office hours just to browse?
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Mustay(m): 12:51pm On Nov 18, 2011
Or maybe ''break time'' also, which employer wants to lose the best times of employees or pay them for work where theory concentration is below 1? We all get mad when we pay for a service and we derive no VFM from it . There are some organizations where phones are not allowed anyway. So, it's up to the HR to determine or observe the effects both positive and negative on their workforce and come to a conclusion for their business environment. Afterall, we've seen what happens at Google.

I remember some years ago, there was this lady who had work to do and after the internet ports were disabled, she popped in her VCD and reduced the movie window to a miniature size so no one will see her. It's not every one who has that professional etiquette to 'work responsibly' so I guess like the Yorubas say ''pikin wey no dey hear word, na cane e dey chop''. Lol
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2011
Twitter and Facebook should be blocked at work. It doesn't help anybody become productive, except for the PR person responsible for social media.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by yamakuza: 4:34pm On Nov 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Twitter and Facebook should be blocked at work. It doesn't help anybody become productive, except for the PR person responsible for social media.

Nairaland too!
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by AjanleKoko: 6:09pm On Nov 18, 2011
yamakuza:

Nairaland too!

I agree. Though Nairaland doesn't seem to interest too many gainfully employed Nigerians sha, at least the ones within Nigeria.
The chaps from work I know are on NL only go to the Autos or Computers/Phones section.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I agree. Though Nairaland doesn't seem to interest too many gainfully employed Nigerians sha, at least the ones within Nigeria.
The chaps from work I know are on NL only go to the Autos or Computers/Phones section.

it doesn't seem to be on the radar of it admins - prolly the usual naija snobbishness fo all things naija

but i agree

i don lose plenty man hrs to nl - was considering blocking it myself
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 18, 2011
internet forums do have their place in improving productivity

i am a member of several cad, warez, and techie blogs / forums that have provided me with links to tools, information, insight etal, which have made me become a better professional and an all round geek

if you know how to use the net, you can train yourself

what i can say i've got from nl is being up to date on politics.
Re: Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? by tck2000(m): 10:24am On Jun 04, 2019
no

(1) (Reply)

Can I Do My Master Program In Open University And Still Get A Good Lecturing Job / Please Where Can I Go For Forklift Training? / Water Borehole Drillers in Owerri, Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.