Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad (7681 Views)

Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by newhaven(f): 7:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
This is for those abroad. which words/slangs/phrases did you have to learn when you travelled and what do they mean in their contexts? Basically from English-speaking countries though its not restricted to those alone.
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 9:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
Fucck you, a s s hole!
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by oyewolejos(m): 2:20am On Nov 12, 2011
Mayate (Spanish word for a Nigga)
Nigga
Homie
Bitches
Shit
Feel me?
Fucck
Hood (Bonnet)
Trunk (Booth)
Rollover (Somersault)
Freeway (Expressway)
Gas (Petrol)
Akata (African American)
Kokoye (Mexican)
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 13, 2011
oyewolejos:

Mayate (Spanish word for a Nigga)
Nigga
Homie
Bitches
poo
Feel me?
Fucck
Hood (Bonnet)
Trunk (Booth)
Rollover (Somersault)
Freeway (Expressway)
Gas (Petrol)
Akata (African American)
Kokoye (Mexican)

On time
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by zukkyo: 10:46am On Nov 13, 2011
Cara ( Police)

Follow the Via ( deportation )

Germo ( Nigerians in Germany)

Yankee ( Nigerians in the US)

Guai ( trouble)

college ( prison)
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by allboyz(m): 11:20am On Nov 13, 2011
screw you!
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by omopope: 11:40am On Nov 13, 2011
From UK: "Aint it" pronounced as "Init".
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by osasp(m): 11:43am On Nov 13, 2011
uk youth some used in other places aswell
piff/buff/peng/chong - good looking
1 bill - £100
1 bag - £1000
crease - laugh
init/innit - isn't it
shubz - food
chao - eat
rave - party
wagwan - what's going on

cant think of any more now
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:03pm On Nov 13, 2011
See slangs
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by kabukabu50(m): 12:29pm On Nov 13, 2011
None, the world is a lot smaller than it used to be wink, most of us who grew up with american media absorb tons of it, save for a few phrases that could throw you a curved ball cool
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by ptaller(m): 12:35pm On Nov 13, 2011
sure sure: I'm cool, fine, good, I'm alright and it also means hi.

Sharp: I'm done, you are alright. Some even use it to say hi.

In South Africa
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by runsgirl: 1:31pm On Nov 13, 2011
init
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by martyns303(m): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
ptaller:

sure sure: I'm cool, fine, good, I'm alright and it also means hi.

Sharp: I'm done, you are alright. Some even use it to say hi.

In South Africa
"ni" meaning "OK?" sharp n sure sure is also very popular, "hey wena"
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Spclst900: 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2011
quoi du neuf? What's the latest?
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by BabaIbada: 2:16pm On Nov 13, 2011
Cheers mate!
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Bisijohn: 2:19pm On Nov 13, 2011
Aussie/Ozz(Australia)
Uni (University)
Unit (Flat/ Apartment)
Good (I'm fine. Incase you are responding to greetings)
20 Box( 20AUD Dollar)
Tea (supper).
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by begwong: 2:22pm On Nov 13, 2011
ghyundog-hungry
rikpa-food
ghwebhak-a.s.s hole!

BURUNDI
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Geezle(m): 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
pendeho, spanish word
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Diligence: 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2011
eke or ndi-eke - (white policeman/men), respectively,
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by BabaO2: 2:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
quoi du neuf? What's the latest?
hmm, i think it is any news? though English is flexible sa
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 13, 2011
I'm good
Dorm (hostel)
innit- ain't it
y'all- you all
badass- very good
yeah?- right?
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by dnative(m): 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2011

aduro - asylum
sikiru or olode  - security guard
early mo mo - cleaner
shekere or ewe (leaf) - cheque
laide - lloyds
bankole - barclays
pupa (red)  - british passport
dagbo - forgery
ori iya charlie - pound sterling notes
se'yawo - arranged marriage
araba - asians
ojo - cops
galo - prison
j'ewa (eat beans) - in prison
ju pada - deport

Yoruba slangs - UK grin grin grin

Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by ismaeel86(m): 3:08pm On Nov 13, 2011
UK

mate: friend
lad: guy
quid: pound, eg 10 quid= 10 pound
CBA: cant be arsed
Cheers: thanks
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by ismaeel86(m): 3:08pm On Nov 13, 2011
cuppa: cup of tea or coffee
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by dayokanu(m): 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2011
FIBI - FBI

SolaSola - SSN

Ejire - Immigration

Popo - Cop

finna - Can (I finna go to Walmart)

Gahh Leee - Exclamation to indicate exasperation
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 13, 2011
Yawa- Trouble grin
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by dalebutt1: 4:12pm On Nov 13, 2011
Sorry to say this is just as ridiculous as it can get, damn! mature people like this craving about slang learned in the western country? Now can we please find something to keep us busy?
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by henwun(m): 4:16pm On Nov 13, 2011
dayokanu:

FIBI - FBI

SolaSola - SSN

Ejire - Immigration

Popo - Cop

finna - Can (I finna go to Walmart)

Gahh Leee - Exclamation to indicate exasperation

You are on point
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by Spclst900: 4:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
Baba_O:

hmm, i think it is any news? though English is flexible sa
kind of
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by awesomet1(m): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
quid
bruv
're you alright?! angry
init
having some sentences ending with "yeah"
bug off
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by perdey: 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2011
back up    reverse

my  bad     I'm sorry

tripping

college    university

major     course of study
Re: Words/slangs/phrases You Had To Learn Abroad by wikitruth: 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2011
Chinco(Chinese)
Paki (Pakistani)
Fashe (Do odd job)
Inde (Indefinte stay)
Brown Pali (British Passport)
Ike (Credit card)
Ojo Iku (Expiry date)
Ejire (Police, because they work in two)

(1) (2) (Reply)

USA Visa Interview; A Must Read! / Studying In Philippines.... Help Needed / Bodo-Bonny Road: FG Provides ₦‎20 Billion Augmentation Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.