Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,157 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? (41245 Views)

Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time / My Egusi Soup With Scent Leaves Recipe.. / A Nairalander Cooks Egusi Soup London Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by iamademorlar(m): 7:50pm On Feb 29
Let it go bro... You can't save the egusi soup... Pour it away
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Rrchrd(m): 7:50pm On Feb 29
Pls don't discard it things are very expensive now
Just put oziza leave, crayfish again & seasoning cube
Then enjoy your soup.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Ukmummy: 7:50pm On Feb 29
Charcoal is best

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Feb 29
ngwababe:
โ–  Instead of bay leaf, why not scent leaf?
I think Bayleaf is milder than scent leaf which I believe will completely change the taste of the soup. OP is trying to mask the bad taste or should I say improve the taste of the soup, not change it completely. undecided

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Mayeldah(m): 7:51pm On Feb 29
Oga, bless a Neighbour with that soup and prepare another one

anyone wey pray for you for this Tinubulation, God go answer the prayer, because e no easy!
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by spartachico(m): 7:51pm On Feb 29
Na wa oo inside this hunger season na him this kind thing dey make FP, no be me una go frustrated ,,, abeg how do I save my catfish and tilapia soup.... Help please
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by EreluRoz: 7:53pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:
๐ŸŽค ๐ŸŽถ Oya so pe o ti lo. E don go. It's gone.๐ŸŽต
Otilo niyen! cheesy

You either manage it like that, or you discard it.
He should place a charcoal in it and warm, it'll absorb the sour taste
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by sylve11: 7:54pm On Feb 29
adeoyekay:
add small charcoal to it

On point. cool
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by TUTU147: 7:57pm On Feb 29
This reminds me of my days in secondary school,I came back from home on Saturday evening.On Sunday morning I cook a very delicious egusi soup, after eating I left with my friends and return very late.When I went to the kitchen to warm the soup,the foam almost fall the cover of the pot.I said it can't be possible,I cook this soup with my last kobo.So some neighbors said I should put charcoal inside the soup and warm it.I did and it was manageable.i are the soup from that Sunday evening till Wednesday morning.I started purging from that Wednesday until Sunday evening.Since that day I don't go close to any soup that sour.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by anidat77(m): 7:58pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

Had a go at it yesterday evening and it was really good smiley
Then I warmed it like around 11:00pm.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.
I just totally forgot sad

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...

A good programmer knows how to debug that soup code in THE MATRIX ๐Ÿ˜†
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Omoluabi16(m): 7:59pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
The weather bro.. the hot weather. You just have to refrigerate, else it will end it tears. Cut your losses and throway that sweet soup. tongue

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by NOGRUDGES(m): 8:00pm On Feb 29
adeoyekay:
add small charcoal to it

See the solution here

You are definitely a learner
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Bullfallo(m): 8:00pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:
Omoh yesterday I prepared a delicious egusi soup, garnished with chicken breast, pomo, goat meat, titus fish, dry fish and okporoko (stock fish)--in addition to other essential ingredients like spicy (knorr and star), pumpkin leaf, etc etc.

This morning, I warmed it like around 8:00 am; I would have frozen it in my freezer but I was expecting a fellow friend who'd told me he would be coming around so I didn't see the need for freezing it yet.

Now, this evening, I just remembered it when it was already 9:50pm--that's the thing sometimes with remote work; one could get engrossed in it sometimes especially if it's my kind that has to do with coding/programming and code analysis.

By the time I got to the soup, I saw it was almost starting to "foam", and I quickly put it on fire. After warming, it doesn't have the fresh taste it had anymore. Tastes a LITTLE bit sour and lacking flavour sad

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do to the soup (or what can be done)? Food experts.

Mods...
next time cook your egusi very dried. If there is no water in it it can stay 24 hours and fresh even without warming it.

I am talking from experience. Also enough salt in that thick state can as well prolong it
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Sleekfingers: 8:01pm On Feb 29
We4all:

Using charcoal is definitely not healthy. People are really suffering in the hands of mama put.

That's why you see most Nigerian men have protruding belly like a pregnant woman. ....
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by jamesversion: 8:01pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
I feel your pain bro. Happened to me last week.

I used 18k buy better goat meat take cook okra soup ast saturday morning. Ate some of it around 10am and ledt the remaining on the stove. I left the housethat Saturday afternoon around 1pm just to check on my guy, before you know, movement enter our body till we go club that night. When I returned around 3m on Sunday morning, I eventually inside bedroom to sleep. On Sunday around 7am as i wake up enter kitchen, I come remember say I no put soup for fridge, soup don dey foam already.

I simply brought out thrash bag and poured it inside. How man go do?

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Heffalump(m): 8:01pm On Feb 29
@OP, is the egusi under attack?
kiss
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by otherway: 8:02pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...

Eyaah...

You could have put it in the freezer
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Egoveen: 8:02pm On Feb 29
Add squashed potato,condensed aloe vera,petrified onions and soured sugar..๐Ÿธ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿป๐Ÿท๐Ÿน๐Ÿถโ˜•๐Ÿต๐Ÿผ๐Ÿด๐Ÿจ๐Ÿง๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿช๐Ÿซ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿณ๐Ÿ”๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ—๐Ÿค๐Ÿฃ
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by maxiuc(m): 8:02pm On Feb 29
If you live in Abuja this period your mind go touch ground unless you have freezers

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by sunsweet33: 8:02pm On Feb 29
Anyway I donโ€™t know how to save your soup but I am glad your topic made it to front page as itโ€™s very educational. At least some variety from all the horrible news we keep receiving.

My own egusi problem is that I have a small container of it that I defrosted in my fridge up to a week ago. Iโ€™m even afraid to open it and see how the thing is faring. Hmm. egusi issues.

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by elnath(m): 8:04pm On Feb 29
Buy three big potatoes. Peel them and put them to boil with the soup for 20 minutes. The potatoes will soak up all the sour taste of the soup and it would be as good as new. Remember to give me my 4K later. Good luck.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by onlinestaff247: 8:04pm On Feb 29
Guy,

You're a big boy buying all those ingredients for an egusi soup in this Tinubulation Era.

Anyways, egusi is a volatile soup that get sour easily when you leave a spoon inside or when you forgot to warm it early.

Too much egusi eating causes purging normally and flagyl with tetracycline are the options.

In your situation, the options given by most Nairalanders are good but none would make your soup to retain its original taste.

Best bet is to eat swallow for like two consecutive days, in order to reduce the wastage...Eat most of the condiments as soon as possible...No need to wash them so that you would use them to prepare other soup because it would definitely corrupt the taste of the new soup.

Learn and move on irrespective of the fact that you're a tech guy working remotely in Abuja.

Buy flagyl or tetracycline tablets, as your stomach might experience turbulence soon and stooling in your private apartment would dehydrate you and thereby making you not to concentrate on your schedule.

Your air conditioner would increase your body's response to stooling.

I hope my objective response is the best advice for you.

Push me small thing:

OPAY

Have a lovely solitary quietness.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by descarado: 8:06pm On Feb 29
Next time n this season of constant humidity, make sure you fry the hell out if that egwusi. If you want to add veggie, consider bitterleave. Ugu leave hate humidity so much. Ugu and green amaranth.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by viyon02: 8:07pm On Feb 29
We4all:

Using charcoal is definitely not healthy. People are really suffering in the hands of mama put.
Oga add charcoal to it Joo, who told you charcoal is dangerous to you? Well maybe you are not science Oriented, charcoal do absorb odour and colour from any substance, infact it will absorb any Poison from your system if you take it. Have you wonder why activated charcoal is place in a New shoe, warmer, flask etc pack? Just to keep it fresh... When you have smelling shoe due to moisture just put charcoal into.
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by neoG(f): 8:07pm On Feb 29
Ok this coming from me that revived one eguisi soup like that that has stayed over 2 months in the freezer. Not only that it stayed that long but it had spoilt before then. Ordinarily I would have thrown it away but not this time around that the cost of eguisi is something else. I still have a paint bucket of peeled eguisi in my house.
So what you will need is a very small size stew, smoke fish and uziza leaf. Just buy very small size smoke fish and boil for a while with stew. Cut the uziza leaves and to the boiling stew. By the time the stew will have a strong aroma of a smoke fish and uziza, then you can pour into the equisi soup and stir. Please add the stew little by little and taste so that the soup doesn't become salty. Also if you don't have stew you can use tin tomato to make stew before proceeding with the rest. Let me know your feedback
thymetraveler:

Mods...
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by harizonal123(m): 8:07pm On Feb 29
Nigeria is gone. See the way we are discussing of how to revive soured soup. God please have mercy on us

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Ravenna: 8:08pm On Feb 29
mariahAngel:
๐ŸŽค ๐ŸŽถ Oya so pe o ti lo. E don go. It's gone.๐ŸŽต
Otilo niyen! cheesy

You either manage it like that, or you discard it.

That's it!

The cause of the sour taste is roaches.

Those little roaches took a walk on the soup with their germs-dirty feets.

That super taste is gone!

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Charmingpet: 8:08pm On Feb 29
Add palm oil bro

1 Like

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Trophy12: 8:12pm On Feb 29
thymetraveler:

Mods...
my brother don't u no small sour egusi soup is medicina, it eat with two days old eba , then come back and thank me later grin
Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by ChengHun(m): 8:12pm On Feb 29
Put it on fire, don't cover it, let it dry then fry in a little oil.

The perishability of any food item is directly proportional to the amount water content. Next time ensure you keep the water content as low as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Is It Possible To Save My Egusi Soup? by Maxtipulation(m): 8:13pm On Feb 29
Throw it away and go to Aso Rock for refund

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Select A Good Watermelon / Instead Of Doing Yahoo, I Ventured Into Pap Making Business, At Age 19. / Lizard Meat: How A Nigerian Man Is Surviving Nigeria 2024 (Pics/ Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.