Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,191 members, 7,839,044 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? (6516 Views)

How I make my millions and How To Handle Business Start Up/ Business Management / Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? / Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:23am On Nov 15, 2011
FEMARY1:

What would somebody be doing after retirement?Wake up and sleep?Life is not designed that way.
simple
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by gtrust: 12:49am On Nov 15, 2011
A typical German works more than 40 hours a week during 'active life'.
They don't go on holidays.
They usually have massive personal savings.
They usually buy properties in 'safe Europe' which have little appreciation
but will atleast 'maintain'.

After retirement:
They start travelling the world
they have huge fire power (money wise) and can just buy you out.
They are just having fun
their pension is cool!
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by Nobody: 1:48am On Nov 15, 2011
They are simply afraid that they might end up spending all they've saved for retirement and feel its better to use the money so it can work for them, that way they are certain they won't die of starvation
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by Jenifa1: 2:43am On Nov 15, 2011
AjanleKoko:

For most retirees, they just want to keep busy and stay relevant. After years of hustle and bustle, they don't want to be idle.
Ironically, according to Zig Ziglar, the fear of being idle is a manfestation of low self-esteem. In his book, See You At The Top, he postulates that a person with low self-esteem can't stand to be idle or inactive. Food for thought, I think.

huh? I don't get it.
maybe they enjoy working. or they're doing what they love.
I would be very bored if I was idle or inactive for a long time.
people who retire and become idle die earlier than those who remain active through hobbies or other work.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 3:56am On Nov 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

huh? I don't get it.
people who retire and become idle die earlier than those who remain active through hobbies or other work.

my question is when will you have time to learn what you enjoy most doing? cry
gtrust:

A typical German works more than 40 hours a week during 'active life'. not a nigerian

After retirement:
They are just having fun
their pension is cool! considering what is going on in the world now, soon pension will not be a save heaven for retirees, government may soon abolish pension mark my word cry

Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 4:02am On Nov 15, 2011
Economic crises and recession may force government and economic expert to develop new government and economic polices that may see pension abolish from our system, The earlier you take your destiny in your hand the better for you, .After all, most private companies don't pay pension , once you retire the pay you off, What makes you think govt may not adopt the system one day cry
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by oderemo(m): 5:15am On Nov 15, 2011
)@runsgirl.com,
can u explain the ethos of your company, cos i dont get it.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by EngrAbiola: 8:39am On Nov 15, 2011
the fact that ppl setup business after retirement has no course for alam. as a matter of fact such business at d end of d day smtimes go flop due of lack of experience, but dis is a well come development becos is a means of reducing unemployment, keepn urself busy also is a means of increasing wealth when you no longer collect salary
moreover sometimes so ppl during their working age they may have plans of going into business due to their wrk and other factors they may have so say back so they leave it to after retirement
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by buJu234: 11:02am On Nov 15, 2011
havent u notice that most retirees hardly live beyond 5yrs after retirement ,

u can b working 4 others and also start & run a part-time business,

success in business is not in the volume of capital but in the volume of information & experience you have,
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by pynkspyce: 11:40am On Nov 15, 2011
to alleviate boredom and guarantee a pension of sorts, since the system is so ineffective and fickle.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by AjanleKoko: 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

huh? I don't get it.

Erm . . . well, what happens is, a chap has worked in one sendentary job all his life, and sudddenly retires. So he tries to get involved in one business or the other, cos he doesn't like being inactive or idle. Not really for monetary gain, just to have that feeling of being involved in something important.

At least that is what drives the retired people I know. They're reasonably comfortable, but they just want to feel involved, so they get busy doing one thing or the other.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by pauloman(m): 1:12am On Nov 16, 2011
babalo1:

Do not ever depend on Government Retirement and please if you can start up a business before you retire or have some substantial assets in the form of cash, real estate and invest in your children. Plus get dual citizenship in case Nigeria messes up.

EeeeGbam ! Word !! On Point !!!
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by AjanleKoko: 8:51am On Nov 16, 2011
gtrust:

A typical German works more than 40 hours a week during 'active life'.

After retirement:
They are just having fun
their pension is cool!

I can attest to the 'hard work' part. I once had a project with a German telco software consultancy. They worked like madmen! Some of those guys I thought were on drugs shocked
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by LagBlogger(m): 2:06am On Nov 19, 2011
He may want to try his hands on some Business Ideas after retirement
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:35am On Nov 19, 2011
Or keep busy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pampers Business / How To Start A Profitable Shoe Manufacturing Company / Is Condom Importation Against Christianity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.