Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG (19356 Views)

PHOTOS: Doctors Treat 19 Striking Health Workers Involved In Motor Accident / Health Workers Relax Strike In Lagos, Kano, Yobe / Monkeypox: Delta State Commissioner For Health Visits Suspected Victims(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Thormentor: 3:02pm On Mar 10
Very good

1 Like

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by iyatrustee(f): 3:02pm On Mar 10
alwayzonlyn:
Will this really solve the japa syndrome??

They'll simply resign & leave the system!!!

As a matter of fact, this policy will only end up stopping the very few that genuinely intend returning.

When they eventually return, they can reapply for their position. Leave of absence should be to go study and not for taking up employment overseas.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Obagreatdatoye(m): 3:02pm On Mar 10
alwayzonlyn:

As a matter of fact, this policy will only end up stopping the very few that genuinely intend returning.

Instead of the government to address the main issues pushing the health workers away (which mainly bothers around remuneration & welfare), they keep beating round the bush & embarrassing themselves with archaic & not well thought out policies.
I don't know why some of you don't just reason before you type....take your time to read what you type very well...you will see that 1yr old kid is more sensible than you...nonsense!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Dalohad: 3:02pm On Mar 10
Tunji Alausa, If your friend Babajide Salako did not Japa to the USA where he started the Kidney center, would he had grown big enough for you to start considering bringing him back to Nigeria and deceive the president to illegally appoint him the MLSCN, even when you knew he is not clearly qualified?
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by frog12: 3:03pm On Mar 10
Also sack those still on japa grin grin grin
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by oilyngbati(m): 3:04pm On Mar 10
nairalanda1:
If you want health workers to stay, you have to pay them a decent wage, and give them decent working conditions.
Pay them decent wages only for them to save up the money and still japa! The govt should just fire their asses and recruit new workers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by femi4: 3:04pm On Mar 10
Pristine664:

Lol doesn't work that way. You can't just remove their names since there is a provision for that.
why
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by aestake: 3:05pm On Mar 10
Sangoamadioha1:

This report is not about that. They are trying to address ghost workers in the system so as to create space for the more people.
What you are saying up there is a topic for another day and definitely not on the subject of this thread.
What if addressing the issue of these same people going abroad to meet the same workers?
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by nairalanda1(m): 3:06pm On Mar 10
femi4:
Why is it difficult for government to remove their names. Seems somebody is shying away from his responsibility

Because once you declare leave of abscence, until you formally resign, your name remains on the register. Basically you are still an employee. It's civil service rules.

A lot of government workers use leave of abscence for legit reasons...like one of my old secondary school mates who went on a leave of abscence to do his phd abroad..he works as a lecturer. Once he was done, back to Nigeria, where he is today...

Your question is relevant if the guy resigned, and his name still remains on the register.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by frog12: 3:06pm On Mar 10
the way some of you think is selfish.
who go treat your sick ?

Obagreatdatoye:

I don't know why some of you don't just reason before you type....take your time to read what you type very well...you will see that 1yr old kid is more sensible than you...nonsense!
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by nairalanda1(m): 3:07pm On Mar 10
oilyngbati:
Pay them decent wages only for them to save up the money and still japa! The govt should just fire their asses and recruit new workers

Who would still leave, because they can earn better abroad.

The thing is, healthcare funding in Nigeria is awful. Meanwhile, oversease...jobs exist with more money.

People always go where the money is.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by olayinka63: 3:08pm On Mar 10
alwayzonlyn:

Lol

Like the government, you're also shying away from the ROOT CAUSE that make majority of these workers even apply for the leave of absence in the first place. You & I know that in over 80% of cases, the reason is to seek for greener pasture elsewhere. In essence, if the system is well funded & conducive enough for these workers to stay back in, there wouldn't be any need for majority of the people leaving under this guise to do so.
Cause & effect are actually inseparable if we're genuinely seeking a LASTING solution to this protracted menace.

I hope you get my point of view now...

I was reading your post all through. We already know we have economic problem. But, should the leaving doctors still continue milking the poor economy by receiving ghost worker salary? Are you saying while we try to address the economic problem, we should just ignore the ghost workers receiiving salary in Nigeria and Australia?
As someone stated, you are talking another thing entirely.

11 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Olamicwoto: 3:08pm On Mar 10
What are u talking abt? Do u want govt to cut his head and give to d health workers? U can't eat ur cake and still have it. The method of absence of leaves is a stealing, so if u are ready to japa just japa not d one u will japa still collecting salary.
alwayzonlyn:

Instead of the government to address the main issues pushing the health workers away (which mainly bothers around remuneration & welfare), they keep beating round the bush & embarrassing themselves with archaic & not well thought out policies.

6 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Theunbothered: 3:10pm On Mar 10
Pristine664:

It will to some extent.

Many health workers relocated while still getting their full salary in Nigeria which they normally use to stabilise themselves abroad.

It is better to resign and leave the system so that others can fill the spaces.

Which full salary? grin

After you don't show from the leave they remove your name. Anyone who relocates won't even need that paltry money they are getting from Nigeria anymore. Better tackle the real thieves in accounting.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Patriotic9ja(m): 3:11pm On Mar 10
alwayzonlyn:

You're still missing my point; whether you're doing so intentionally or not, I can't say.

Anyway, I leave you to your thought, view & opinion about this policy. I already stated mine up there & I stand by it.

I wish Nigeria well.

Have a good night rest.

Both of you are right. Just that in the context of the news... the government is not trying to address why they are leaving neither preventing them from leaving. But the executive order is to ensure they leave lawfully and morally. You can japa to seek greener pastures but resign so others in Nigeria can fill the slot.

Personally I'm a proponent of our professionals working outside our shores. This will create rooms for other people within the country to get employment. We too can become expatriates in foreign countries

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by yewit37486: 3:11pm On Mar 10
Rightly so. If you want to japa, then fully japa, don't do one leg in one leg out while depriving those that could fill your position.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by MT: 3:13pm On Mar 10
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/no-more-leave-of-absence-for-health-workers-relocating-abroad-fg/

This is a very good development.

Nigerians are greedy lot. You can't eat your cake and have it.

And these same people will be blaming Tinubu.

4 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Focusmind: 3:14pm On Mar 10
Nice one!

If you want to go abroad and work, resign and go so that your position would be declared vacant. Its greediness to keep up your position while you are in another country working, and some people in Nigeria are looking for job. You see this kind of thing in the public civil service. In private sector, once you japa, your position is filled immediately . Sometimes, it's even filled before your one month notice expires as you are supposed to put through the new person on how to do the job.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Shawnnn01: 3:16pm On Mar 10
What ever point you are making it is an exceedingly foolish one.

How do you try justifying earning a pay where you do not work for whatever reason, isn't that madness

alwayzonlyn:

You're still missing my point; whether you're doing so intentionally or not, I can't say.

Anyway, I leave you to your thought, view & opinion about this policy. I already stated mine up there & I stand by it.

I wish Nigeria well.

Have a good night rest.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Calitoscassius(m): 3:17pm On Mar 10
FreeStuffsNG:
They were already physically out of the system but their names remain on the register. That's the problem and corruption.

There's no point keeping the slot on the register when people who need the jobs are not absorbed to fill the slot and help reduce the workload on those who stayed back in service of the nation.

When you come back, there's no law that forbids you from reapplying to take back the job.
For the first time i am agreeing with you, Yes, you are correct!

But the government could also pay them better money, good holiday and retirement plans, treat them well, so they wouldn't leave in the first place.

Government should be enticing and encouraging them with better pay, better working condition to stay rather.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Tjra: 3:17pm On Mar 10
AuwalYusuf812:
Wat if I didn't tender resignation and I japa tongue
That's absconding from work. Your employment will be automatically terminated within a month.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Pristine664: 3:17pm On Mar 10
Patriotic9ja:

Both of you are right. Just that in the context of the news... the government is not trying to address why they are leaving neither preventing them from leaving. But the executive order is to ensure they leave lawfully and morally. You can japa to seek greener pastures but resign so others in Nigeria can fill the slot.

Personally I'm a proponent of our professionals working outside our shores. This will create rooms for other people within the country to get employment. We too can become expatriates in foreign countries

You used the right word as per the bolded.

I don't know what is hard to understand for some people in the whole thing.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Calitoscassius(m): 3:18pm On Mar 10
How about paying them better, provide them with good working condition, good holiday and retirement plan so they don't leave.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by eteebanky1: 3:19pm On Mar 10
Nigerians

Fraud just dy their blood anyhow

You're already out of the country in search of a Greener pasture and you still want to be collecting money from broke Nigeria government, the money you did not work for ooo, thereby giving your innocent colleagues extra liabilities

Thieves, barawo

4 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Praying4Nigeria: 3:21pm On Mar 10
Why are those raking in Billions given to them to Develop the Health Sector still runs abroad for mediCare?

1 Like

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Cool83(m): 3:21pm On Mar 10
The issue is that those that have already japa will just occupied space on the staff returns, for instance, if hospital is having just 10 nurses that are available, meanwhile the total number of nurses in that hospital is 20 including those that have japa, they will still be counting it that the hospital is having 20 staff, and that's disadvantage to that hospital

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Monaboo(m): 3:23pm On Mar 10
People that have already resigned.

Dey play.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Pristine664: 3:23pm On Mar 10
Shawnnn01:
What ever point you are making it is an exceedingly foolish one.

How do you try justifying earning a pay where you do not work for whatever reason, isn't that madness

The problem is, Nigerian system have so many loopholes that everyone at different strata is exploiting, including the workers and this is contributing a lot to the current state of the country.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by OkoYM(m): 3:23pm On Mar 10
FreeStuffsNG:
They were already physically out of the system but their names remain on the register. That's the problem and corruption.

There's no point keeping the slot on the register when people who need the jobs are not absorbed to fill the slot and help reduce the workload on those who stayed back in service of the nation.

When you come back, there's no law that forbids you from reapplying to take back the job.
It is not corruption, the system allow it, people take leave of absence without pay, (it used to be with pay back then)to do genuine programs abroad or at home and come back into the system. It was originally designed to create space for self development or to even attend to family matters, it is just that people don't come back these days again
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by dettolgel: 3:31pm On Mar 10
FreeStuffsNG:

There are two problems here but you are addressing only one without addressing the second.

1. The first problem is health workers are living the system at an alarming rate
2. The government is finding it difficult to replace them

The first problem is something the government is either slow on addressing or do not have any meaningful solution to that yet

The second problem is what the current policy is trying to tackle, given that when the health workers leave their position is not vacant which makes it difficult for government to replace them. The policy is a good one geared towards solving the 2nd problem but not the first.
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by BigDawsNet: 3:33pm On Mar 10
Some do not need the leave salary actually.. but they are scared to inform people dey are using dere leae to japa...
Re: JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG by Deogratiasfx: 3:38pm On Mar 10
Nice one from FG...... simply resign when going so that the space can be filled by someone else. That is if they will agree to fill it o. Any way....well done

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bathing Every Day Not The Best? / Girl Electrocuted While Fetching Water From A Well In Ogun / NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT FIBROIDS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.