Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Halo 3 Is Here! - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Halo 3 Is Here! (2101 Views)

Multiplayer Mod For 'just Cause 3' Is In The Works / Halo 3 Wallpaper / Recent Tests: Playstation 3 Is The Best Blu-ray Player Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halo 3 Is Here! by dakmanzero(m): 5:46pm On Sep 19, 2007
To all those who have NTSC xbox 360's out there,

ITS FINALLY HERE! AT LONG LAST!

Come september 25 we will finally be able to FINISH THE FIGHT! , or those in yankee will. Hopefully the first few ntsc discs will land our fair (??) shores on october 1 (independence day) or later. Quite a few people I know are ready to grab discs on or around launch day and ship 'em over.

Any halo grandmasters in the area? This may be a good time to hook up and do some quality deathmatching with a brand new game- new maps, new rules, new weapons. Halo 3 is guaranteed to be a total smash hit, if the mania over the beta is anything to go by, and halo2 has lived 3 good years as the undisputed champion of console group/party gaming.

So. Anyone getting ready to put on the spartan-ii MJOLNIR armour and the reflective helmet once more, and put some hurt on the mindless alien hordes and/or friends,coworkers and family?
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by texazzpete(m): 7:42pm On Sep 19, 2007
@darkie
I'm feeling the halo craze. I downloaded all the halo novels (well, three of 'em and the Graphic Novel) and read 'em all. real nice stuff!
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 22, 2007
omg, i dnt know what is so special about that game, but a dude in my class is bringing 5 cakes to celebrate it. i am not a game person, but i can tell when people are crazy about games, i want to know why everyone is so anxious about this game,
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by ritchboi: 8:05am On Sep 22, 2007
u mean u dont like halo?
I'l advice u 2 break ur piggybank and get an xbox360 IMEDIATELY and cop halo 1 2 & 3,u wont regret it
@darkman
wen is it coming out on xbox
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 22, 2007
ritchboi:

u mean u don't like halo?
I'l advice you to break your piggybank and get an xbox360 IMEDIATELY and cop halo 1 2 & 3,u wont regret it
@darkman
when is it coming out on xbox

Sorry, everyone can't be a fan of Halo.
you might regret it if you do not like games where everyone is jumping 10 feet in the air while shooting (quake, unreal tournment included).
Rather play those FPSs that are war sims( call of duty, battlefield).
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Seun(m): 6:52pm On Sep 22, 2007
Halo 1 and Halo 2 were simply the best first person shooter games I'd ever played.
Too bad you don't like the genre, but it's the best of them. It's so much fun to play.
I don't expect Halo 3 to be much greater than the earlier ones, but I hope the story is wrapped up!

(It's like someone who doesn't like romantic movies asking "what's so great about Titanic?"wink
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by suprted(m): 6:56pm On Sep 22, 2007
i dont think halo 3 is coming out on xbox, do they even still make games for xbox these days?
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by touche(m): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2007
hell yeah!!
dey still make x- box games. halo's d shhh. never played a game dats so realistic. the headshots with d shotgun,  shocked blood chilling
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Goldmann(m): 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2007
YES O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive got halo 1 and 2 on xbox and i cant wait 4 halo 3, Ive even got a countdown to the halo 3 release date on my laptop, The game is gonna kick ass!!!!!!!!, (ps ILL totally destroy any of u out there in spli screen multiplayer preferrably in halo 1 " blood gulch" grin
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by ritchboi: 12:06pm On Sep 23, 2007
Sooo. . . .Is it comin out o
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Ralvy(m): 9:40am On Sep 24, 2007
HALO IS THE SHIT, I'm actually purchasing a PS3 just for Halo.
and you can imagine, Halo is from Microsoft Game Studios
- Microsoft Rocks . . .

and I have 1 mugu comparing MTS wyv Halo . ., Y'all can imagine ?

Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Maxidoe(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2007
Hey meeeeeeeen thats good news,am a fucking game freak and thats my best game till date,though i never finished the game b4 i my CD got scratched.But i guess the price wud be frightening,anyway the best option is to have ur pals send it down from yankee.
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by dakmanzero(m): 12:36pm On Sep 24, 2007
@Khai khai

DUDE!!!! you are SO totally missing out!!!!! only new players go jumping around in Halo. Either that or you played it on the PC with a mouse (which is sooooowrong!) get a console, learn the dual analogue and experience a REVELATION!!!! I'm a quake-head myself but console fps's do not get better than halo

@ritchboi

xbox360 exclusive, brother. NOT EVER coming out for original xbox, sorryy,

@RALLVY

DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!! HALO 3 WILL NEVER BE RELEASED ON PS3, NEVER!!!!!!!! the game is a first party title from microsoft. It will not appear on playstation platforms or nintendo platforms. The only other place it will appear will be PC, and the wait time is 3 years

halo1: released 2001/2, pc version 2003/4
halo2:released 2004 pc version 2007
halo3: released 2007 pc version, 2010?!?!?!?!?!?

@touche

no headshot with shotgun, ma guy, every close range shot is a 1-hit-kill,

@toyinrao

Everyone is crazy about this game because its the next best thing to going out for a game of paintball with your mates, which is the next best thing to going to IRAQ with a CHARM that makes you impervious to PAIN and able to RETURN FROM THE DEAD AT WILL!!!! now WHO WOULDNT WANT TO DO THAT?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by oybv101: 4:05pm On Sep 24, 2007
meant to post this last week. . . (from time magazine)

Technoculture
The Man in the Mask
Thursday, Aug. 30, 2007 By LEV GROSSMAN

Unknown soldier: A space marine from the far future, the Master Chief never removes his helmet.
Microsoft Game Studios & Bungie Studios

Correction Appended: Sept. 5, 2007
Kirkland, Wash., is a leafy suburb of Seattle, on the shore of Lake Washington. A banner hangs over the main drag reminding visitors that Kirkland is the home of the 2007 Junior Softball World Series. Not far away stands a large unmarked building. It's oddly shaped, with a domed roof; it used to house batting cages, and before that, it was a hardware store. A security guard sits at the front desk, but he doesn't have a lot to do, because nobody ever comes in--though if there were a sign outside, the place would be mobbed.

There is an invisible subculture in America. Those who belong to it love it with a lonely, alienated, unironic passion. Those who don't belong to it walk right by, uncaring, just as people walk right by that unmarked building in downtown Kirkland. It is the subculture of hard-core video games, and that oddly shaped building, which houses a company called Bungie, is one of its temples.

Bungie makes a series of video games called Halo that are among the most revered in the gaming canon. It's doubtful that many people reading this could say exactly, or even approximately, what the Halo games are about. But when Halo 2 came out in 2004, it did $125 million at retail in the first 24 hours. Since then, gamers have logged almost a billion person-hours playing Halo 2 online. Because it's exclusive to the Xbox 360, Halo 3 is also Microsoft's weapon of choice in its struggle with Sony for supremacy in the multibillion-dollar game-console market. "We're not just dealing with a game here," says Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios, which owns Bungie. "We're dealing with a great entertainment property, one that has the potential to be a cross-media property like a Harry Potter or a Star Wars."

For video-game aficionados, the entertainment event of the year has nothing to do with Harry Potter or Jack Sparrow or Spider-Man. It happens on Sept. 25, when Halo 3 will be released, starring a faceless and all-but-nameless space marine called the Master Chief. He's a new kind of celebrity for a new and profoundly weird millennium.
It's difficult to explain the story of Halo but that difficulty is in itself worthy of note. This isn't Donkey Kong. The Master Chief is not an Italian plumber whose girlfriend has been kidnapped by a gorilla. His story is rich and complicated in ways that we're not used to in video games. The Master Chief is a supersoldier, the only one of his kind, equipped with--encased in, really--powerful battle armor. He lives 500 years in the future, at a time when humanity is fighting a group of alien religious zealots known as the Covenant. At the beginning of the first Halo game, the Master Chief crash-lands on a strange space artifact, a planet that's shaped like a ring instead of a sphere and known as Halo. There he slugs it out in a running three-sided battle with Covenant troops and a monstrous, mutating race called the Flood, which happens to be imprisoned there. He also learns about a mysterious and ancient race called the Forerunners, which built Halo .

And so on. The Halo universe is clearly the stuff of pulpy space opera, and the Master Chief is as hard-boiled as they come. Much of the action consists of the Master Chief shooting alien antagonists while swapping Eastwoodian one-liners with his sidekick, a computer program named Cortana who appears as a sexy hologram. But the Halo games also have a curiously lyrical quality about them. They're full of literary touches and evocative phrases--the Master Chief travels in a spaceship called the Pillar of Autumn. The Halo universe is rich in lore--gamers love to be there the way some people love to pretend they're in Jane Austen novels. The action isn't nonstop; instead it includes dramatic beats and even moments of melancholy solitude, with Romantic weather effects and sublime vistas and soaring Gregorian chants. The game has a moody, Wagnerian quality--the Master Chief is dwarfed by towering alien architecture that recalls Piranesi. Halo takes itself seriously as, if not art, certainly a spectacle. But art seems more apt.
The face of the Master Chief is never revealed. His visor is solid reflective gold, like the faceplates of the Apollo astronauts. Halo 's designers see the Master Chief's facelessness as a dramatic device, a way of allowing players to place themselves in the game's leading role, to map their own faces onto that of a blank protagonist. "If he takes off the helmet, he should be you," says Marty O'Donnell, Halo 's audio director. "I mean, that's the big deal. Taking off the helmet is unacceptable." Engineering lead Chris Butcher agrees: "It's your experience. You have to be able to pour yourself into that icon." When nongamers look at the Master Chief's helmet, they see a forbidding, anonymous mask. But when gamers look at it, they see a mirror. They see themselves.

The cliche about gamers is that they're antisocial, if not sociopathic, but Bungie is very much a community. There's a foreign-legion quality to it, as if the company had been created as a refuge for smart people who wouldn't or couldn't fit into more conventional professions. Environment artist Dave Dunne started out as an architect. In a past life, O'Donnell wrote the We Are Flintstones Kids vitamin jingle. Designer Paul Bertone was a structural engineer who inspected bridges. "The people who play Bungie games tend to sense that there's something behind the games that's attractive to them," says O'Donnell. "Then they become fans of the games. And then they become rabid fans. And then they become employees of Bungie."

In return, they give Halo most of their waking hours, which vastly outnumber their sleeping ones. For the past few months, shifts at Bungie have run from 6 in the morning till 2 in the morning. One manager confessed that he was so strung out on caffeine, he had to drink a Diet Coke just so he could kill his cravings enough to fall asleep. The Bungies bring a grinding, jeweler's meticulousness to what most people consider an unhealthy amusement for children. To give me an idea of the level of detail (which is a term of art at Bungie, known as LOD), an audio engineer demonstrates, one by one, the sound of the Master Chief's footsteps, which change when he walks on ice, on gravel, on wood, on rubber, on grass, on sand, on glass and so on. Whenever the Master Chief fires his weapon --he tends to do that a lot--his gun ejects a shiny, jingling shell casing. "We actually are insane," the engineer says, "because we track the impact of each shell casing on each surface. Literally. We ought to be locked up."

This devotion is fueled by a belief, not shared by the world at large, that video games are an art form with genuine emotional meaning and that Halo 3 will be the premier example of that art. But there is, as it happens, a whole lot of money at stake too. At launch, Halo 3 will run only on Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console, lending the Xbox, into which Microsoft has sunk billions, huge credibility in its costly death match with Sony's PlayStation 3. "We're a platform company," says V.P. Kim. "It's about driving sales of Xbox 360. Sony has no answer to that. We have a really big chance to put Sony back on its heels."

There's an opportunity beyond video games, too, for Halo to break out of the ghetto and become a mainstream, mass-market, multimedia entertainment property. Other parts of the culture are catching on. Marvel publishes Halo comic books. There are five Halo novels in print. The Halo sound tracks are released as albums. Peter Jackson, who directed the Lord of the Rings movies, is working with Bungie on a hush-hush Halo spin-off project, and he has signed on to produce a Halo movie (though a deal with Fox and Universal fell through last year). "When we were launching Halo 2 , you'd spend half your meetings with brands educating them on the video-game business," says Chris Di Cesare, director of creative marketing at Microsoft. "People still thought, 'Ah, it's this thing for kids.' Now my partners are Pepsi, Burger King, Pontiac, Comcast. And it's not me selling them anymore." There's an opportunity, in other words, to decloak the Halo subculture, to turn it from invisible to visible.

Not that the Bungies care. They don't need to legitimize Halo by associating it with other, more respectable media. They sell enough units and make enough money. They're happy in their invisible geek ghetto. But that's the logic of the marketplace: it can't leave subcultures alone; it has to turn them into cultures. It may be time for the Master Chief to come in from the cold and join the party, with the popular kids. Just don't expect him to take off his helmet.
The original version of this story mistakenly said that Halo 2 is Microsoft's weapon of choice in its struggle with Sony. The correct game is Halo 3.
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On Sep 24, 2007
I thought the Halo is for XBOX 3

Do Nigerians in Nigeria spend their money on these games as well?? or are these mainly nigerians living outside of the country that spend time on games??

KoboJunkie
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by ow11(m): 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2007
I've been killing myself on Call of duty and brother in arms!

Men I should definately get a 360, was really torn between a PS3 and a 360.

HALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by dakmanzero(m): 12:41pm On Sep 25, 2007
Yep, Nigerians in Nigeria spend time/money on games.

Who do you think fuels the huge, booming informal gaming market at Alaba international and Ikeja computer village? Games sell as high as 5,000 bucks in ikeja preowned, for the 360.

The majority of Nigerians buy pirated ps2 games for 100-200 naira a disc, though. (thats roughly one dollar a pop)

There's a large market for used 360 and xbox games which are not as readily pirated. The you have brand new games at high street stpores sometimes going for as high as 12,000, AND still fly off shelves.

Gaming is big in Naija, and hidden in plain sight, just as the world of wizards is hidden from the muggles in Rowlings' beloved epic :-)
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by topeteadr(m): 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2007
Hey guys i respect you all you all are the masters of game's damn you guys are good there is no point challenging you guys.
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by icezik1(m): 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2007
HALF - LIFE 3 is COMING! MU HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by zigbo(f): 10:46pm On Sep 27, 2007
the opening was mad in the uk. . .some shops stayed longer than there usuall closing hrs and the queue of people waiting to buy the game was rily long. But u know the most annoying thing? the cheat codes are already circulating on the internet. . . .sad rite tongue
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by oybv101: 11:11am On Sep 28, 2007
more on halo 3
warning - spoilers included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Azanor(m): 1:44pm On Oct 06, 2007
@texazzpete
dude! where did you download the graphic novel from? I've been looking for it all over the place. i have all four novels and have played the games. the storyline is really something. pls hook me up
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by texazzpete(m): 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2007
@Azanor
Gimme your location. I can't rememebr the link again, will hunt it down anyway.

have you got Ghosts of Onyx?
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by Azanor(m): 4:28pm On Oct 11, 2007
@texazzpete

i'm in ogun state. yes i read it recently. its story happens during the halo 2 time line.
Re: Halo 3 Is Here! by iykedee: 9:54am On Nov 08, 2007
I am a ps3 owner but Halo 3 and the whole halo series are just sooooooooo off the hook

(1) (Reply)

Anybody With PES Or FIFA 2017 For PC In Ilorin / Looking For GTA V For PC In Ogun State / Game Dics Swap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.