Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk (3095 Views)

Coca-cola Plans To Launch Its First Alcoholic Drink / What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk / New Business Niche: Supply Of 25 Kg Bags Of Powdered Milk In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Tohsynetita1: 7:17pm On Mar 19
if Kenya drinks 8 cups per week and Nigerians drink 1 cup per day, abeg how many days make a week? Don't you see your assertion isn't correlating?

2 Likes

Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
What do you have to say about this? https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(71)90112-7/fulltext#:~:text=The%20data%20indicate%20that%2099,lactose%3B%20Anglo%2DSaxons%20could.
Not much really since the Data seems to exclude other tribes in the same Nigeria. And I seriously doubt the claim that 99% of Yorubas are lactose intolerant. Dem tell you say Yoruba people no dey eat cheese? lipsrsealed
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by mariahAngel(f): 7:23pm On Mar 19
zhike:
The is a research that shows that Nigerians drink less milk.
For example South Africans or Kenyans drink average 8 cups of milk per week.
NIGERIANS DRINK AVERAGE OF 1 CUP OF MILK PER DAY.

That is because milk is simply not a staple in the Nigerian kind of diet.
If it were, they would've found a way to produce it to meet the demand.

The other day, a guy was desperately looking for buyers (on agriculture section) for his fresh milk at a cheap price, yet he couldn't find.
People hardly know what to do with it, and they're not used to drinking milk as it is.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:25pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
Not much really since the Data seems to exclude other tribes in the same Nigeria. And I seriously doubt the claim that 99% of Yorubas are lactose intolerant. Dem tell you say Yoruba people no dey eat cheese? lipsrsealed

What about this?

Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:28pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:

Drinking milk or eating cheese will probably not kill anyone if not contaminated.
People who are lactose intolerant can still take milk products in moderation without any adverse effects.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ What about this?
Yet the same people do not have a problem consuming ice cream and yogurt abi? Anywho, given that many of the same Nigerians abroad don't hesitate much when it comes to shoving a good cheese-laden burger down their throats with ease, I choose to take such claims with a pinch of salt. Nigerians abroad —all ethnicities — typically experience little to no problem adapting to the culture of drinking milk regularly and eating milk products. So, until such a time when milk products are widely available and consumed in Nigeria, I will lean more towards opinons expressed in articles such as this one from the Vanguard https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/milk-consumption-in-nigeria-low-stakeholders
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ Drinking milk or eating cheese will probably not kill anyone if not contaminated. People who are lactose intolerant can still take milk products in moderation without and adverse effects.
If you truly believe the statement in bold to be of fact, then lactose intolerance cannot be the major reason for the problem identified by the OP. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:35pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
Yet the same people do not have a problem consuming ice cream and yogurt abi? Anywho, given that many of the same Nigerians abroad don't hesitate much when it comes to shoving a good cheese-laden burger down their throats with ease, I choose to take such claims with a pinch of salt. Nigerians abroad —all ethnicities — typically experience little to no problem adapting to the culture of drinking milk regularly and eating milk products. So, until such a time when milk products are widely available and consumed in Nigeria, I will lean more towards opinons expressed in articles such as this one from the Vanguard https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/milk-consumption-in-nigeria-low-stakeholders

I challenge you to take a pint of fresh milk, gobble it down and wait for about 2 hours.
My only advice, don't do it outside of your own home.
I eat all these things you mentioned without any problems but I don't deceive myself by going overboard with it.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:38pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
If you truly believe the statement in bold to be of fact, then lactose intolerance cannot be the major reason for the problem identified by the OP. lipsrsealed

My friend, that would be a major reason. White people virtually live on it. I don't see black folks carry milk in the supermarket the same way white folks do.
Lactose intolerance is not even limited to blacks in Africa, the diaspora folks also took it with them.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ My friend, that would be a major reason. White people virtually live on it.
■ I don't see black folks carry milk in the supermarket the same way white folks do.
This isn't about white or black. Hausa live on it and most of the people from other ethnic groups who live for a period up north also adapt to living on it. So, I see no real reason why intolerance would be used as a major reason when the vast majority have probably not tasted milk in most of their lives. undecided

2. By the way, what the fk do you mean you don't see black folks carry milk in the supermarket? You dey alright so? lipsrsealed
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ I challenge you to take a pint of fresh milk, gobble it down and wait for about 2 hours.
My only advice, don't do it outside of your own home. I eat all these things you mentioned without any problems but I don't deceive myself by going overboard with it.
What in the world is this? I drank two bowls of cereal this morning with 2% milk. And this after I had hot oats with milk last night. I am not any part of your statistics abeg, neither is anyone in my family since we eat milk products regularly without abandon. Yorubas and other tribes eat ice cream, and yogurt, so I see no sense in claiming these same people are to be written off as lactose intolerant. undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:46pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
This isn't about white or black. Hausa live on it and most of the people from other ethnic groups who live for a period up north also adapt to living on it. So, I see no real reason why intolerance would be used as a major reason when the vast majority have probably not tasted milk in most of their lives. undecided

2. By the way, what the fk do you mean you don't see black folks carry milk in the supermarket? You dey alright so? lipsrsealed

It is, there's a reason why northerners especially the nomadic Fulani on average are more lactose tolerant. I am not making things up. There are tons of materials on the subject.
Madam Kobo, you don't have to go that low. This is my personal observation. Most white folks can digest lactose therefore it's not a problem for them as far as I know.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:47pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
What in the world is this? I drank two bowls of cereal this morning with 2% milk. And this after I had hot oats with milk last night. I am not any part of your statistics abeg, neither is anyone in my family since we eat milk products regularly without abandon. Yorubas and other tribes eat ice cream, and yogurt, so I see no sense in claiming these same people are to be written off as lactose intolerant. undecided

Perhaps you are tolerant of it, that doesn't mean everyone is.
You started by saying it is not a medical fact, I showed you that it is. Now what else?
You still argue blindly the same way you did several years ago.
A leopard truly never shed its spots.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ It is, there's a reason why northerners especially the nomadic Fulani on average are more lactose tolerant. I am not making things up. There are tons of materials on the subject.
Madam Kobo, you don't have to go that low. This is my personal observation. Most white folks can digest lactose therefore it's not a problem for them as far as I know.
Are Nomadic Fulanis white then? lipsrsealed

Do these same black people say NO to chees when purchasing a burger? Abeg, stop! undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:50pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
Are Nomadic Fulanis white then? lipsrsealed

Do these same black people say NO to chees when purchasing a burger? Abeg, stop! undecided

Did I say all blacks are lactose intolerant?
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
Perhaps you are tolerant of it, that doesn't mean everyone is. You started by saying it is not a medical fact, I showed you that it is. Now what else? You still argue blindly the same way you did several years ago. A leopard truly never shed its spots.
It is indeed not a medical fact that most Nigerians are lactose intolerant given that the majority haven't had the chance to drink milk in most of their lives(about 2/3rd of the country). So, come back when milk becomes a common product in the same country. Arguing blindly is concluding that lack of access to the product equates to lactose intolerance. undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ Did I say all blacks are lactose intolerant?
You said you don't see black people carrying milk in the grocery store. What else did you mean by that ludicrous statement? undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:56pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
It is indeed not a medical fact that most Nigerians are lactose intolerant given that the majority haven't had the chance to drink milk in most of their lives(about 2/3rd of the country). So, come back when milk becomes a common product in the same country. undecided

I agree that fresh milk is not readily available to most Nigerians. But you only have to react to it once to know whether you are tolerant or not.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by RenaissanceGuy: 7:57pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:

Drinking milk or eating cheese will probably not kill anyone if not contaminated.
People who are lactose intolerant can still take milk products in moderation without and adverse effects.
The reason why more southerners - a whooping 99% - have lactose tolerance in the first place is due to the fact that there's gross unavailability of milk, unlike in the north where some people are used to buying fresh milk from the dairy farmers and their stomach is already conditioned to digesting it without any adverse effects. If Nigerians can buy fresh milk as easily as they buy rice from the market, there'd be no such thing as lactose intolerance.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 7:58pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
You said you don't see black people carrying milk in the grocery store. What else did you mean by that ludicrous statement? undecided

You are trying to split hairs with this one. I was basically trying to let you know that you will mostly find white folks in the dairy isle and that is the truth.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ I agree that fresh milk is not readily available to most Nigerians. But you only have to react to it once to know whether you are tolerant or not.
If about 2/3rd have not even had the substance, how were the statisticians in your writeups able to get them to react even once to milk? Ice cream? Yoghurt? Cheese(wara)? undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 8:02pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ You are trying to split hairs with this one. I was basically trying to let you know that you will mostly find white folks in the dairy isle and that is the truth.
I don't know about that since many of the black folks I know do not shy away from good cheddar cheese, ice cream, or even yogurt. These, again, are all milk products. sad
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 8:03pm On Mar 19
RenaissanceGuy:
The reason why more southerners - a whooping 99% - have lactose tolerance in the first place is due to the fact that there's gross unavailability of milk, unlike in the north where some people are used to buying fresh milk from the dairy farmers and their stomach is already conditioned to digesting it without any adverse effects. If Nigerians can buy fresh milk as easily as they buy rice from the market, there'd be no such thing as lactose intolerance.

Actually my friend, you have a good point. But it is not about conditioning. It is genetic, meaning if you are lactose intolerant your children will inherit it as well. Maybe the conditioning can happen over thousands of years I don't know.
But, you will still be lactose intolerant even if you drink it everyday.
African Americans shouldn't have lactose intolerance if it is about conditioning.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 8:06pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
If about 2/3rd have not even had the substance, how were the statisticians in your writeups able to get them to react even once to milk? Ice cream? Yoghurt? Cheese(wara)? undecided

Where is your data saying 2/3 of Nigerians never had milk?
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ Where is your data saying 2/3 of Nigerians never had milk?
You confirmed it yourself that the drinking of milk is specific to those in the northern states particularly the Fulani nomadic tribes, leaving almost 2/3rd of the country without access to the same resource. undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by emperor4love(m): 8:24pm On Mar 19
How many can afford tin of milk in super market,money u fit use run okro soup u wan use buy 1 peak milk
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by ElSudani: 8:27pm On Mar 19
Kobojunkie:
You confirmed it yourself that the drinking of milk is specific to those in the northern states particularly the Fulani nomadic tribes, leaving almost 2/3rd of the country without access to the same resource. undecided

The Fulanis obviously does not constitute 1/3 of the Nigerian population much less the nomadic ones.
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On Mar 19
ElSudani:
■ The Fulanis obviously does not constitute 1/3 of the Nigerian population much less the nomadic ones.
The Fulanis sell their milk, and possibly other dairy derivatives, to mostly the northern population, do they not? undecided
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by Bongadu: 8:48pm On Mar 19
I drink chocolate milk and I'm a huge goon for it

Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by FirstCounsel(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19
cheesy
Ttipsy:
Do ogogoro statistics let see
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by NaijaPrince18: 9:59pm On Mar 19
Nigerians have poor diet generally. Especially Yoruba people. Just pepper and meat. No fruit no vegetables nothing
Re: Why Negerians Don't Drink Milk by lilyheaven: 9:59pm On Mar 19
In my three decades on earth, I have never seen fresh cow milk, let alone of drinking it.
I only see it on tv.
RenaissanceGuy:
That's not true. It's simply because of cost factor and also because of non-existence of direct-purchase of milk from farmers. If a liter of milk (where does the market for that even exist?) sells for ₦500, poor people's children, for example, would be taking a jug of milk to school everyday. Our agriculture value chain is still very underdeveloped. So, people can only access milk by buying already processed ones in sealed cans or in sachet powdered form, unlike in America where as far back as 70 years ago, fresh milk suppliers go from house to house delivering milk to customers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

HEINZ Baked Beans / Snail Washing / Best Champaign Brand In The Market:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.