Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja (3461 Views)

Apple Launches iPhone 15 Pro And iPhone 15 Pro Max (Features & Prices) / Apple Uses Lionel Messi Graphic During Iphone 15 Launch Event / I Was Charged 81k On Iphone X As Import Duty, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Alphamentips: 3:40pm On Mar 19
**This post is for only those who have had the experience and can advise better***
Don't comment ANYTHING if you have no progressive input to make.

So my bro's iphone 15 entered Ikeja Int'l Airport and it has been seized by 'Customs' and now 'NDLEA' according to them.

They are asking for N1.4meter as clearance fee.
And i'm confused as why? He even went ahead (before reporting the case to me) to contract another customs officer who doesn't work at the airport and has already paid the sum of 800k yet the phone isn't cleared and the contracted customs officer is asking him to pay #100k extra to top up the money.

I'm mad because I've told him b4 now to always use a 3rd party shipping company when importing device or give to friends who are returning from US or CA to bring in while coming back but him no dey too get patience.

>>> NOTE: He has already sent all documents DHL guys asked for including- purchase receipts and every other evidence to show it is legit purchase.

So here are my questions:

My first question is this: Is this an illegal operation because I am willing to take it up with the so called Customs & DHL guys by reporting this to the Lagos State Task Force office. If yes, how do i go about reporting this issue?

I already suggested he contacts the Human Right Activist, Harrison Gwanishnu on IG for help as it clearly feels like a ripoff!

2ndly, is there a procedure to reporting fraud in public offices that will ensure that you get justice?

3rdly, isn't import duties charged based on the weight of the item imported as against the value of the item?
4thly, what is the safest way of importing phones to avoid such issues as this is the 2nd time this is happening.

I suggested asking the shipping company to send it back to US but he'll have to pay like 600k according to the those crooks at the DHL office..

Omo! I just tire
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by thesicilian: 3:48pm On Mar 19
Seems like a scam to me
Even if it's legit, it still seems cheaper and less stressful to just buy those items here than pay so much for clearing in addition to the original price

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by shortgun(m): 4:02pm On Mar 19
Before I say anything, Why is NDLEA involved?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by GOFRONT(m): 4:12pm On Mar 19
This is an Old Scam format na.......This format don cast ever since. Dont allow your bro to fall for the cheap scam.

Oya so pe Otilo for the 800k. E don go

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Alphamentips: 4:17pm On Mar 19
thesicilian:
Seems like a scam to me
Even if it's legit, it still seems cheaper and less stressful to just buy those items here than pay so much for clearing in addition to the original price

Upon say i mention this thing for the OP yet you still come here to cap me wetin no go help solve the matter.

What is the 411? I'm not here to cry over split milk, bro. I'm not a bitch. Na action i need not if to say or if you know... what if na my relative wey dey Yankee use her card buy am for am??

Wetin happen done happen na way fwd we dy find

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by thesicilian: 4:25pm On Mar 19
Alphamentips:

Upon say i mention this thing for the OP yet you still come here to cap me wetin no go help solve the matter.

What is the 411? I'm not here to cry over split milk, bro. I'm not a bitch. Na action i need not if to say or if you know... what if na my sister wey dey Yankee use her card buy am for am??

Wetin happen done happen na way fwd we dy find
No vex grin

1 Like

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Dejarae(f): 4:31pm On Mar 19
Yahoo boy problems

2 Likes

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Alphamentips: 4:32pm On Mar 19
Dejarae:
Yahoo boy problems

Broke man mentality.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Nijimog: 5:15pm On Mar 19
Bribe money no dey get receipt
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by capetownboyz(m): 5:21pm On Mar 19
Alphamentips:

Broke man mentality.
more like broke witch mentality..yeah she is a fucking LovePeddler for that statement..tag her well..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by capetownboyz(m): 5:25pm On Mar 19
stole 4 iphone 12 pro max plus 500k i paid this bastards for clearance..then went to pick my phone ,thus corrupt element from nigeria said my phone is missing and they got the gut to tell me that it has been delivered..where is the delivery guy ? no where to found..the height of corruption in this God forsaken nigeria is never seen in any part of the world..cursed country.yeah this shit happened in 2022...DHL for that matter..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Dwightventures(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19
Haha. Rewind 2 years ago, me sef have cried my own. You go pay dat moni o. That's all I can tell you. Unless you have big man in customs or government.

Endure this one and learn your lesson and then wait a few weeks or months for another person to come and cry on nairaland too, for your amusement
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Gadafii: 6:03pm On Mar 19
Next time don’t use dhl, use those guys at computer village, ikeja. They have contacts and addresses overseas. They will ship in the phones together with other gadgets and you would pay a token of maybe 200k for such phone, at worse

However, those guys too can be Fraudulent, naso I send iPhone 15 pro max. 256gigs to an address in Georgia believing it would be delivered to me in ikeja or get the cash equivalent based on agreements. My phone arrived at the address, plenty Stories enter say why sender no follow instructions and now the phone is hard to track and sort, that the address receives hundreds of items daily. truly the sender wasn’t meant to use usps to send to that particular address, instead he should have used ups

Till today, almost four months I no see my phone, me sef no do Wahala

So shipping phones, you got to do it with someone you can really trust and hold responsible, otherwise people eyes dey chook now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Immatex(m): 6:10pm On Mar 19
Why is DHL not delivering the parcel to your address?

Is the airport your address?

Shouldn't DHL ensure your paid parcel get to the right address and receipent?

I order thing from US to UK and it's delivered to my doorstep

7 Likes

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by fuckJones(f): 6:37pm On Mar 19
shortgun:
Before I say anything, Why is NDLEA involved?
the phone comes with smoking gadget

1 Like

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by passendi: 6:56pm On Mar 19
Alphamentips:
**This post is for only those who have had the experience and can advise better***

So my bro's iphone 15 entered Ikeja Int'l Airport and it has been seized by 'Customs' and now 'NDLEA' according to them.

And i'm confused as why? He even went ahead (before reporting the case to me) to contract another customs officer who doesn't work at the airport and has already paid the sum of 800k yet the phone isn't cleared and the contracted customs officer is asking him to pay #100k extra to top up the money.

I'm mad because I've told him b4 now to always use a 3rd party shipping company when importing device or give to friends who are returning from US or CA to bring in while coming back but him no dey too get patience.

>>> NOTE: He has already sent all documents DHL guys asked for including- purchase receipts and every other evidence to show it is legit purchase.

My first question is this: Is this an illegal operation because I am willing to take it up with the so called Customs & DHL guys by reporting this to the Lagos State Task Force office. If yes, how do i go about reporting this issue?

I already suggested he contacts the Human Right Activist, Harrison Gwanishnu on IG for help as it clearly feels like a ripoff!

2ndly, is there a procedure to reporting fraud in public offices that will ensure that you get justice?

3rdly, isn't import duties charged based on the weight of the item imported as against the value of the item?
4thly, what is the safest way of importing phones to avoid such issues as this is the 2nd time this is happening.

I suggested asking the shipping company to send it back to US but he'll have to pay like 600k according to the those crooks at the DHL office..

Avoid DHL, you people will not listen

Omo! I just tire
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by emperor4love(m): 7:26pm On Mar 19
Na carded phone for street level mostly,the get such issue shaaa
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by ZACHIE: 8:02pm On Mar 19
1.4meter only?

Ignorance plenty for here.

See, you have been taking a few things for granted because you had a prosperous country that could afford to overlook all those infractions.
Not anymore.
This government is looking for revenue from all available sources. Import is a huge revenue source that had been overlooked. Especially, those tiny packages. They hold tons of money
. They are a veritable source leakage in the IMport chain.
Zero documentation, false declarations, zero taxes and huge cumulative value meant huge losses to the government.

What's the rule of importation?
All shipments must have Form M. Goods of less than $500 were exempted from this rule.
Groupage shipments usually enjoy this exemption. Not anymore. Government eye dey chook. Dem dey look for money
My advice to you brother, he should stop being combative. In lieu of Form M, he has declared his importation. That value has been captured in the syst. His value is now in the system.
Duty must be paid on that Import, else, he can go to blazes. Nothing will happen.

Calm down. Negotiate a settlement with a good officer
They will pay Duty on that Import, settle and release your goods. Everyone is happy.

All this huffing and puffing is a good jab to the nose of a moving wind. It counts for a mess and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Bongadu: 8:43pm On Mar 19
Tales from drug pushers

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Pennywise2: 8:59pm On Mar 19
Shipping through sea will have been better . It will take 2-3 week s though
Alphamentips:

Omo! I just tire
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Balablue64: 9:29pm On Mar 19
Op you claim to be wise but look at how they scammed you, you are just a small yahoo boy.
100 dollars boy, na our exchange rate i dey blame

1 Like

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by NowisGod109(f): 9:49pm On Mar 19
Immatex:
Why is DHL not delivering the parcel to your address?

Is the airport your address?

Shouldn't DHL ensure your paid parcel get to the right address and receipent?

I order thing from US to UK and it's delivered to my doorstep

Dhl won't deliver any package that needs custom clearance especially when it involves money until total fee is paid before they deliver to your doorstep
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by culcat(m): 10:17pm On Mar 19
Op is not saying the truth here, though you have been scammed. It’s either op was chatting with scammers who pretend to fall in love with him .
Most time, they promised you electronics eg. phones or laptops and documents tracking ID will be sent to you but are all fake. Now this their trikes, a number will call you to inform you of your goods and where to pick up, then you will be informed of custom holding it coz it contains money inside.
They will ask you to bring money to settle custom and end up paying more.
Look, I’m speaking from experience, a lady came all the way from kaduna to Lagos int’l airport to pick up iPhone 6 then, she approached me and all she has been going through and I told her you have been scam. I asked her simple questions . Do you know the person sending those items and she said they met online.

10 Likes

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Immatex(m): 10:17pm On Mar 19
NowisGod109:

Dhl won't deliver any package that needs custom clearance especially when it involves money until total fee is paid before they deliver to your doorstep

That's in Nigeria. I track my orders and know when it gets to different international airports, go through customs and gets delivered to me without my input whatsoever.
I usually purchase gadgets and appliances online and DHL or any other logistics company deliver them from abroad without any hassle to me.
If I desire to buy an iPhone 15 from the US today and have it shipped to my UK address, I see no reason for UK customs to call to come clear the item. Except this practice is only applicable to Nigeria.
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Blakjewelry(m): 10:19pm On Mar 19
Alphamentips:

Omo! I just tire
We wey don tey no try am use DHL or FedEx at all, first off their fee is high secondly, them go use custom chop you.

That phone suppose reach 30k from US if you know the way.

The only time I had issues is when the shipping company I use get issues. I tried two different people and I lost 3 phones.
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Bimpe29: 10:35pm On Mar 19
How much is the iPhone 15 and I watch he wanted to clear self?
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Juliearth(f): 10:55pm On Mar 19
Alphamentips:

Omo! I just tire

This doesn't seem right. Those customs officials are simply looking for a leeway to make some easy cash. They assumably figured that your brother may be into cyber crimes and rolling out such amount to clear these items won't be a problem. If possible, get the officials' names and call them out on twitter. tag necessary authorities too.

1 Like

Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:02pm On Mar 19
You could have just allowed a custom licensed agent to clear the consignment for your bro with less than 300k. Them go move am directly from the tarmac. But on a serious note, once you declare the neccessary documents to show it not scam there's no need paying such amount to clear the consignment, how much is the said phone and watch worth that warrant such amount for clearance? Haba that's too much. As for "NDLEA HOLD" its normal because 95% of iphones nd watches coming through couriers are not legit hence the hold so them too go chop inside. Just tender the neccessary document including ur passport, pay the normal duty charge then u good to go.
but them go delay the consignment via investigation to ascertain if it scam or not.
Re: My Bro Was Charged 1.4million To Clear Iphone 15 & I-watch From DHL Ikeja by Entanglement: 12:16am On Mar 20
Alphamentips:

Omo! I just tire
grin this boy don go chat with scammer for telegram claiming to be America girl but can only chat with iPhone grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo Mobile Settings / The Infinix Note 4 Vs The Iphone 6 Plus (PICS) / My Top 4 Mobile Networks In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.